Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

which wheels

Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which wheels

I have been using the H brand light weight wheels for a while and found that the hub area can be damaged badly after ~50 flights (see pic). I am using NMP 5/32" shaft axles (available from Central Hobbies). To make the wheels fit, I need to drill out certain amount of material from the hub.

Would like to know which wheels you are using and their longevity.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63489.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1895434  
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: which wheels

Good question!

I've become a bit disenchanted with foreign hardware over the past few years and have been using more of the standard brands like Goldberg and Dubro.

My favorite tire of late is the Dubro #250SL Super-Lite. I suppose I get 100-200 flights depending on the surfaces I'm flying off of. One thing I like about them is that they seem to wear off flat right down to the hubs without fuzzing.

I don't really run them down quite that far, but, let's just say I get my money's worth out of them.

-Ron
Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Planeclaims

If you don't mind spending a little extra, I highly recommend Tettra, available online @ Central Hobbies. I prefer Tettra because their larger sponge tires seem to last longer than other brands. They also roll the quietest. My Wind S Pro has the 60 mm nylon wheel w/sponge tire for the mains and the 25 mm aluminum wheel w/sponge tire for the tail. The tires are easily removable from their respective hub and can be flipped if they don't wear flat. The tail tire takes the most abuse, so it wears the quickest. Tettra also has replacement sponge tires that easily slip onto the hubs. I like this feature because I don't have to disturb the tiny tail wheel collet to flip or replace the sponge tire.

Steve
Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I gave myself the gift of a pair of MPI Max wheels from Central. Nice, light aluminum wheels, replaceable plastic bushings and the foam tires have a hard strip down the center that seems to make them wear better on asphalt. Liked them so much I bought another set when I lost one out in overflight land.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have the superlites on my plane now. They are nice. I wish they were a little lighter, but they wear really well. My club has a paved runway. I left the plane on the gear too long and developed a flat spot. Put the plane back on it's stand and 2 days later the flat spots were gone.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
bem

Hi,

I use Du-Bro Super Lite Wheels (2-3/4 inch diam.) on my MythoS 125E. Works great. I fly on grass.
Since I fly off rough grass I use slightly larger wheels then I otherwise would use (about 2-1/2 inch I would use otherwise).
Although I have MK Super Light Wheels (60 mm) and MK SkyBlue SuperLight Tyre (60 mm) also I have not tried them but they seems to be good quality as far as I can judge.
They all have 4 mm hole for the axel.
Some pictures and weights below. Second last picture show my tyre after about 100 flights on grass.
Hope it helps.

/Bo

Name:	Qn38114.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1896445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98880.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1896446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20485.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1896447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59819.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1896448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26088.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1896449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16593.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1896450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27088.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1896451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37163.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1896452  

Old 06-30-2013, 06:09 PM
nonstoprc

Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts. It seems there are many choices there.

I would love to give the MPI F3A [link=http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html]MPI F3A Wheels (AW57) [/link] a try. as it should help solve the broken hub problem for good. One thing not sure though is since the tire is made of foam, the plane could like to bounce on hard-surface runway. Any comment?
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
grotto2

Just a side note: I don't use wheel collars to retain my tires.
I drill a small hole thru the axle and use a washer and small piece of safety wire bent into an "S".
To drill the hole the axle must first be heated to orange and a small flat ground with a dremel to give the drill a starting surface.
I've never lost a tire with this method.

Name:	Ig11504.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1896592  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 AM
woodie

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts. It seems there are many choices there.

I would love to give the MPI F3A [link=http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html]MPI F3A Wheels (AW57) [/link] a try. as it should help solve the broken hub problem for good. One thing not sure though is since the tire is made of foam, the plane could like to bounce on hard-surface runway. Any comment?
The foam tires won't make the plane 'bounce', they usually help absorb the 'impact' rather than bouncing like a ball on a hard surface. The landing gear is typically the culprit for causing the bounce if you drop one in a little hard, or are too hot on landing. And, if the gear is flexible/springy, that also contributes to the problem. I have found stiffer gear can make landings a little easier with less bounce/rebound. Kind of like a pole vaulter using a steel or stiff pole vs a very flexible pole. The flexible pole will bend further and help him clear a higher bar as it 'snaps' back to straight.

Woodie
Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 PM
MTK

Stiff gear contribute more to fuselage damage....Many gear struts today are too strong and stiff, and of course heavy, and tranfer loads directly into the fuse mount without absorbing much of it.....

You guys should demand gear that is just strong and stiff enough for the task and no more. And BTW, you can save a heck of alot of weight from properly designed landing gear. It is one area still being overcooked by most airplane makers out there. Coupled with some of the light wheels in this thread, landing gearRTF shouldn't weighany more than5 - 5 1/2ounces and that includes the fuse mount and pants......And 2 3/4" wheels...

Another pet peave of mine is gear rake. Too many struts have too much which requires more fuse and stut strength and weight than necessary. Rake also makes TO and Landing more difficult. The guy who came up with that dumb move should be hung by his toes
Old 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
serious power

ORIGINAL: MTK

Stiff gear contribute more to fuselage damage....Many gear struts today are too strong and stiff, and of course heavy, and tranfer loads directly into the fuse mount without absorbing much of it.....

You guys should demand gear that is just strong and stiff enough for the task and no more. And BTW, you can save a heck of alot of weight from properly designed landing gear. It is one area still being overcooked by most airplane makers out there. Coupled with some of the light wheels in this thread, landing gear RTF shouldn't weigh any more than 5 - 5 1/2 ounces and that includes the fuse mount and pants......And 2 3/4'' wheels...

Another pet peave of mine is gear rake. Too many struts have too much which requires more fuse and stut strength and weight than necessary. Rake also makes TO and Landing more difficult. The guy who came up with that dumb move should be hung by his toes
Matt,
You are absolutely correct in all this.

' The guy who came up with that dumb move should be hung by his toes. '

The last guy to use a steel pole probably just dislocated his shoulder.

Brian
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: bem

Hi,

I use Du-Bro Super Lite Wheels (2-3/4 inch diam.) on my MythoS 125E. Works great. I fly on grass.
Since I fly off rough grass I use slightly larger wheels then I otherwise would use (about 2-1/2 inch I would use otherwise).
Although I have MK Super Light Wheels (60 mm) and MK SkyBlue SuperLight Tyre (60 mm) also I have not tried them but they seems to be good quality as far as I can judge.
They all have 4 mm hole for the axel.
Some pictures and weights below. Second last picture show my tyre after about 100 flights on grass.
Hope it helps.

/Bo
Ya gotta 'love' DuBro's big blatant misquote right on the front of the package. Ugh.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 PM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

The soft aluminum "rims" bent after only a couple non perfect touchdowns.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:10 AM
JRgraham

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
Ya gotta 'love' DuBro's big blatant misquote right on the front of the package. Ugh.

Yeah.. but it says 'each wheel weighs x.xx grams' Iwonder if they just went sneaky, if you rip off the foam "tire" and weigh just the plastic wheel. If thats the case, well.. either way thats disappointing from them.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM
nonstoprc

ORIGINAL: desertrider49

The soft aluminum ''rims'' bent after only a couple non perfect touchdowns.
Interesting. I thought the alum used is quite strong.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM
jgg215

There are two different sets of wheels. The "ultra light" ones touted for F3A are a bit too light. Use the heavier ones. The hubs can still be bent but they are tougher and have the hard rubber center in the foam to make the tires last longer.
John

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29.html
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM
nonstoprc

As an experiment, I installed a bushing to one of the wheels. It is a small piece of alum tube glued to the hub. The shaft fits the tube very nicely. Will see how it works.

Name:	Xv62889.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1900090  
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM
nonstoprc

Just like to report back that the wheels with bushing have been working very well. I checked the installed bushing after 30 flights and did not see any problems.