Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Beginner Electric Pattern Airplane

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Texas_Flyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Electric Pattern Airplane

I am a relatively new flyer but have become interested in pattern flying after watching a recent contest. I've also been practicing some patterns on my simulator and really enjoy the challenge. I'm ready to move off my beginner plane (EasyStar - a GREAT first plane) and was hoping to get a 2nd plane that could also use to enter a Sportsman contest in the future. I have a Futaba 7CAP TX so I can use it to "tame" the plane as I learn to fly it. I'm an electrical engineer by training with lots of bad experiences with engines, so I'd like to go electric. And finally, I really don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. Any suggestions?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 AM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Beginner Electric Pattern Airplane

First you need to decide on what size airframe u would like to use. If you go with something like the kaos 40 or magpie 50 then your battery (lipo) would be less, charger needs less, and motor/esc. Or, go 60 or 90 size.... heck even full 2 meter but that is very expensive.

After re-reading your post, I would recommend the kaos 40 from tower hobbies or you might look into GCBM Models from pasadena area http://www.gcbmrc.com/arf_index.htm the harmony sport 40. E-flite just came out with some good otrunners or you could go hacker with a gearbox. Lots of options in motor selection and i would use an astro 109 charger to begin with.

Good Luck.

Chuck Hochhalter
Old 11-23-2005, 04:43 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

If you haven't already check the glow to Electric conversion section, should find some useful info there. [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_132/tt.htm[/link]
Steve Maxwell
Old 11-23-2005, 07:22 AM
flyranger

I know some folks like to bash the chinese planes, but you should look at the GWS Formosa as a beginning electric pattern capable plane. As always, you will upgrade to brushless and LiPo power, but the stock system will get you going. Fly the fomosa model in FMS to get used to it first. When flying the actual model, there were reports that it will not turn on aileron input alone, you must do coordinated turns with aileron and rudder, probably typical of pattern-type models. Although I am an old balsa and monokote man, I learned (re-learned) to fly on the GWS Slow Stick (still flying). Wattflyer.com has several threads about setup and flying this model. Enjoy!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Kolsso12

I have a Greate Planes Venus (F3A plane) and the weight is 2.7 kilogram and wingspan on 1.4 meter. I have a Plettenberg Orbit 25-16 and an Aeronaut 15x10 propeller. My battery is PolyQuest 5 cells (18.5V) and 4000 mAh 12C. 52 A and 920 W on ground. It gives me unlimited vertical performance on 75 % throttle. This is a F3A trainer and is flying great. If you have flying a 40- size trainer you will be able to fly this. It is little faster in the landing compare to a 40- size trainer otherwise is does not have any bad habits.

If you have fly an EasyStar it will be a big step to get a 40-size pattern plane, maybe to big. I will also recommend a GWS Formosa. It is flying great and are easy to repair if you will do some mistake.

/Kristian
Old 11-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Texas_Flyer

Thanks everyone, for all your suggestions. I'll do some research on each of them.

Kolsso12:
You made an insightful comment:
"If you have fly an EasyStar it will be a big step to get a 40-size pattern plane, maybe too big."

Since the EasyStar does not have ailerons or wheels, you have a very good point. I've been practicing on FMS for weeks with the Multiplex Magister, a nice electric trainer with ailerons and tricycle wheels, and have gotten pretty good. However, I've also played with the Formosa (with no D/R, expo, mix, etc) and have found it difficult to fly. If I program my 7CAP to use D/R, expo, and Ail/Rudder mix, do you think I can tame it enough to get going and slowly increase the rates as I get the hang of it? Or do I need an non-pattern plane for my 2nd plane? I certainly don't want to get over my head and crash a nice plane, only to be demoralized and feel like quitting.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Kolsso12

Normally it is easer to fly in a simulator then a real plane. Practise more on the simulator and with the EasyStar, it will make you a better pilot. GWS Formosa is a very forgiven plane and it is not fast with the original motor. I am sorry to say this, but the first low wing plan are very often involved in some crash.

A 40-size pattern is a fast plane and it is fast in the landing. If you are locking for a bigger plan it will be better to by a something like a Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF or something similar.

Remember that LiPo battery is sensitive for deformation. I have crash many times with small planes and only ones the battery has been damage. I have crash 3 times with 40-size plane and ones the battery was totally destroyed. With big plans the consequence in a crash are much bigger.

/Kristian
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Texas_Flyer

Thanks again to you all. I followed up on all the planes you mentioned and took in all your comments. After reading through numerous threads on the Formosa, Miracle EPP (another nice electric aerobatic trainer), glow conversions, etc, I think I need to make a pattern flying plane my 3rd plane vs my 2nd. Otherwise, I'd be adding ailerons, low-wings (faster), semetrical wings (vs flat bottom), less dihedral, and a tail-dragger which, from what I've read, are too big a jump from an EasyStar. I'll be back 3 to 6 months from now...[8D]
Old 11-24-2005, 06:41 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Get a high wing trainer and build the wing flat instead of all the dihedral. It will still be easy to fly, you'll get used to ailerons, and you'll be able to do all the manuevers in basic. Instead of rubber banding it on, use wing bolts. We use to do this with great planes trainer 60's for goofing around. They were fairly aerobatic, yet docile. They also had semetrical airfoils which helped. You could always have someone cut you a foam semetrical wing if you can't find one, don't think great planes sells the trainer series anymore. We also made them into tail draggers. Made good planes.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Texas_Flyer

RM,

Great suggestion. I'll do that.

Alan
Old 11-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Texas_Flyer

RM,

Check out the plane below. It does exactly what you suggested but even better - it come with a flat-bottom wing AND a symmetrical wing!

UltrFly Cessna 182 ARF
One ARF — two performance options!

Includes two different wings: one for beginners, a second for experts!
Beginner Wing — Self-righting and stable at low speeds, with a low roll rate even at full throttle. Docile, gentle handling and excellent power-off glide capabilities. 10x4.7 Slo-Flyer prop recommended.
Expert Wing — Designed to support airshow aerobatics.Using an 8x8E electric prop doubles airspeeds and makes aerobatics a breeze.
Ailerons and flaps can be added to either wing — and hardware for doing both is included!
Adding ailerons expands aerobatic options and simplifies approaches for beginners.
Adding flaps allows for shorter take-offs and touchdowns and enhanced speed/handling control during high-alpha landings.

[link]http://www.ultraflymodel.com/airplanes/ufla1000.html[/link]
Old 11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

I don't know anything about it, but here's a link to some guys discussing it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431769
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 PM
spellr1

I'm guessing that you are the one and only Chuck Hochhalter in Houston, TX. How are things going for you?

Rex
Old 04-08-2006, 03:58 PM
eflier

kolsso12
agree with you on the Venus...it's a good introductory model for pattern...I fly mine on 3S lithiums, and although vertical is not unlimited, it has more than ample power for lower class pattern flying........I use a Maxcim D wind on 3.75 to 1 reduction, 3S4P TP cells 15X10 prop. max static draw is 41 amps....although its only490 watts, it only uses 1700 mah for a full 6 min flight....I can easily get 3 routines with takeoffs and landings from 1 charge......since I have 3 batteries, that's pretty much a full afternoon of practise with no field charging required. It flies just like a big formosa.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GWS Formosa is a good flyer and it is inexpensive. I would not take it as a first aileron plane, though. It is also a bit small, which might be either good or bad, depending on your circumstances. Formosa 2 is bigger but I have no experience with it.

I trained on a GWS E-Starter which is a forgiving aileron trainer but its aerobatic capabilities in stock form are a bit limited. Removing the dihedral (cut, align, glue, reinforce) and adding power might make it more aerobatic.