Reload this Page >

What amps are cause for concern?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

What amps are cause for concern?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 AM
flyf3a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amps are cause for concern?

Hi

I flew my new Hacker 14XL Comp today for first time with Spin 99 Controller (APC 22x12E). (TP5300 mah batteries). For four flight max current was never higer than 72 amps with low point voltage of 34 V (rpm high 6030). Last flight in stronger wind controller read 82 amps as max. Is this casue for concern given the setup? Keen on getting Eagle Tree data logger which will show if spike or if it happens more than once (more cause for concern?). What version will suit me the best having regard that I am only interested in current/voltage and RPM. I have seen three version and the micro logger is the cheapest and lightest. Is this the way to go?

Burt
Old 06-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

Default RE: What amps are cause for concern?

ORIGINAL: flyf3a

Hi

I flew my new Hacker 14XL Comp today for first time with Spin 99 Controller (APC 22x12E). (TP5300 mah batteries). For four flight max current was never higer than 72 amps with low point voltage of 34 V (rpm high 6030). Last flight in stronger wind controller read 82 amps as max. Is this casue for concern given the setup? Keen on getting Eagle Tree data logger which will show if spike or if it happens more than once (more cause for concern?). What version will suit me the best having regard that I am only interested in current/voltage and RPM. I have seen three version and the micro logger is the cheapest and lightest. Is this the way to go?

Burt

In a single word answer to your questions - Ja.

The micro logger is all you need if you intend to just measure current/voltage/amps/watts. If you want to measure RPM then you need to get the RPM sensor. There are a couple of choices - I got the one that attaches to one of the motor wires (the brushless motor RPM sensor). I also got the temp sensor as well. I did not get the expander since I can get 3 flights recorded on mine before I download. Besides I don't use it every flight either.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:34 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Burt,

82 amps is high for the setup you're running. Last year on the Standard C50 I would normally pull about 64 amps with the 22x12E, then suddenly it started spiking up to the high 70's & low 80's. It turned out that I had a slipped rotor (slipped magnet). I understand that the Competition motors are supposed to be less likely to do this, but it may still be possible. I had to send it in and Hacker repaired it free of charge. After the repair it was back to normal.

If you continually see higher than expected amp draw, and it was not just a fluke, you should call Hacker USA, they'll probably want to take a look at it.

Keith B
Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 AM
flyf3a

Hi

Ordered an Eagle Tree logger and should be in South Africa during the week care of US postal sevice. Will install in both my Berylls and see the comparison. One has a C50 13 XL and the latest C50 14 XL. The 14 XL only has 5 flights on so doubt if it could be the rotor. On all 5 flights the high amps appears to be round 7 minutes into the flight. The concern as rightly pointed out is that it could happen more often as the Spin 99 only records the highest amps. We had our provincial comp over the week-end in winds gusting right on the limit. (42 km/h). Recorded 81 amp draw, but after 9 minute schedule on replaced 3300 amps back into TP 5300 pack that already has 90 cycles. Low voltage was recorded as 34 volts and temp of controller as 35 degrees celcuis. The average amps were at 48 amps. Could be only one manoevre but rather be safe than sorry. I will post results from Eagle Tree and would appreciatre some feed back. Might be that I also just have to alter style of flying.

Regards
Burt