Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Cellpro 10 balancing adapter warning

Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cellpro 10 balancing adapter warning

This weekend I ruined a $550 battery due to a simple mistake when using the Cellpro 10 with a Thunder Power 10s Extreme. I felt compelled to share this experiance to help others avoid this easy to make, but costly mistake. This post is not a slam of the Cellpro because otherwise I've been extremely happy with the charger, however, I do feel strongly that the design of the balancing adapter should either have one plug for 5s/4s, or some other method to help avoid this. Certinally having the plugs right next to each other is a bad idea.

Note, in my case I was using the Thunder Power adapter, but looking at the other adapter sockets I believe this could happen with other brands of batteries as well.

The attached image details the problem.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72973.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1179598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15217.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1179599  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
VerneK

Default RE: Cellpro 10 balancing adapter warning

I cut little squares of 2mm depron and plug them into the sockets I don't use to prevent the mistake. There's a similar potential problem between the 2S and 3S connectors. The depron has just enough grab onto the pins that it won't fall off and I just leave them in place all the time since I only use 2S and 5S packs. I guess if you use more than that, you'd just have to be extra careful. The universal charge adaptor is the only part of the Cellpro setup I don't like. I'd prefer individual connectors even though it costs more and now have them for my 5S packs. I only use the universal one for my 2S packs.

Verne Koester
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Cellpro not look at total pack voltage (across the main leads) and compare what it see's to the balance tab voltage? If it does then it should immediately know that something is not right since it would be "missing" a cell...this should prevent this type of failure.

I dont have one of these chargers so I am not sure, but all my other chargers do this sort of compare logic and it works good if say the balance lead is damaged etc.

Really too bad Keith, bad enough to smoke your own pack, worse when the equipment does it for you!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 PM
KeithB

The Cellpro charges through the balancing taps up to 4 amps, beyond that it requires the main leads to be plugged in. In this case I was charging several things at once and didn't want to pull more than 4 amps from the power supply anyways so I wasn't using the main leads. Guess this is a good reason to use them anyways!

BTW, after this occurred I found a couple of old TP taps from another application, removed the wires and inserted the bare taps in the 4s socket so this won't happen again. My point here is to warn others.

Keith
Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Brenner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's one other thing to be watchful for with the Cellpro-10 charger. If you are charching two packs at a time, and you mix up the two center power leads, you will blow a component inside the charger. If this happens you will still be able to charge a single pack, but two packs will no longer charge.

This has happened to me twice so far, and each time I had to send the charger back FMA for repairs. Each time I did it I kicked myself for being so stupid, but it's easy to do, especially if you're rushed and you aren't aware of this failure mode.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Well, I know why I cant charge two packs anymore. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM
KeithB

I wanted to give kudos to Thunder Power. I contacted them today and explained what happened to me and they offered to replace the pack for 1/2 price. They no longer carry the 10s Extreme V2's (the replacement is 30C) so I'll be trying out the new TP Prolite V2 5300 (two 5s packs).

It still stinks that I lost a perfectly good pack (it was my newest 10s V2) due to a silly thing like this, but I really appreciate the guys at TP softening the sting a bit.

Keith B
Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

KeithB, This is the very reason why I run Thunder Power batteries exclusively! You cannot beat their customer service. I got some bad info initially when I converted to electric
2 1/2 years ago & wound up running several packs. I called TP customer service, explained what had happened & they did the same thing for me as they did for you. Most of these other manufacturers, suppliers & retailers could learn alot from TP. The lack of responsiveness & caring about your customers WILL come back to haunt you. It's just a matter of time. Regards____TNWalker
Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 AM
wattsup

Correction: I meant to use the word "ruining instead of "running" in my entry above. Sorry___TNWalker
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: KeithB

This weekend I ruined a $550 battery due to a simple mistake when using the Cellpro 10 with a Thunder Power 10s Extreme. I felt compelled to share this experiance to help others avoid this easy to make, but costly mistake. This post is not a slam of the Cellpro because otherwise I've been extremely happy with the charger, however, I do feel strongly that the design of the balancing adapter should either have one plug for 5s/4s, or some other method to help avoid this. Certinally having the plugs right next to each other is a bad idea.

Note, in my case I was using the Thunder Power adapter, but looking at the other adapter sockets I believe this could happen with other brands of batteries as well.

I don't use the FMA adapters. With a little shaping the TP extensions fit the CellPro. Get out your knife and give it a try.

Jim
Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 AM
SanJoseDale

R/C toys sells an adapter cable, from the Cell Pro 10s to TP (5s), so I just eliminated the need for these adapted cards. The leads on the new TP packs were so short, these adapter cards were cumbersome.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
f3a05

What Jim said:
I don't use the FMA adapters. With a little shaping the TP extensions fit the CellPro. Get out your knife and give it a try.

Jim
Old 04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
swlarcham

I have just recently started using the cellpro 10s BUT I've been woried about all those pins sticking out and had planned to cover them somehow. I like the idea of depron plugs and will use it - BUT Thanks Keith for the warning as I had not noticed the 4s & 5s plugs being the same.

Also I just lost my best(newest) set of Flight Power F3A packs due to a crash of my new plane. I want to give flightpowerusa credit as they too offered replacements at 50% off. My new packs were shipped yesterday and I'm getting the EONS YEAH!!
=eddie
Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
wattsup

dolstinke, After readings your response above, I called RC Toys/Dragan to purchase the adapter cables from the Cellpro 10s to the Thunder Power batteries. They could not find
the ones you mentioned. Do you have a part number? Regards____TNWalker
Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
SanJoseDale

I spoke with Brian, here is the email exchange I had.

yes I do 6.95 + 2 bucks for shipping

Brian Nakonechny
R/C Toys Inc.
4609 West 75th Street
Prairie Village, KS 66208
913-648-0696 Bus
800-728-6976 Toll free
913-515-3711 Cell
913-515-3919 Cell
913-901-8540 Fax
WWW.Tanicpacks.com

-Original Message-
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:28 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Adapter

Hi, I need a balancer adapter to go from Cell Pro 10 charger (JST type PA with 2mm spacing) to a Thunder Power, for 5s pack. Do you have this available?

Thanks,

Dale
Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 PM
wattsup

dolstinke, I really appreciate the info r/t the adapter & even more, your responsiveness. Thanks____TNWalker
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 AM
flyf3a

Hi

Sorry about your loss, but you are going to be impressed when you receive the new packs, not only lighter but they run much cooler, also due to lower C rating power feels more constant. The voltage also does not drop that low during flight.

Regards
Burt
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
KeithB

Burt,

I just got them yesterday, they're shapped like two mini-eXtreme 10s packs. These are so different in shape than any other batteries I've used so I need to figure out how to strap them together to fit both planes I have. My planes are currently setup for the eXtreme 10s packs and the older Prolite 5300's (strapped together side-by-side).

I'm anxious to give them a try!

Keith
Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Brenner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have four CellPro 10S chargers, and when they are working I like them a lot. However, here are some things that have messed me up so far this year:

I started getting an "Unstable Voltage Error" on two of my chargers when I knew for absolute certain that my power supplies (I have two ...) were fine. It turned out that one charger had a loose fuse socket, and after I bent the tabs in the fuse holder, the error message went away. On the other charger it turned out that I had a stripped hole in the corner of the face plate where there is a capacitor jumper from one of the fuse holder terminals to the case, and I wasn't getting any compression of the eyelet at the end of the jumper. I used a bigger screw, and sanded off the black anodize from the face plate, and the main case to get better contact and the error mesage went away on the second charger.

I've shorted out the fuse between the middle terminals about a half dozen times now. What I do now is just solder a small 15 amp automotive fuse across the terminals, and the charger is fine until I short it out again.

I started getting a "Bad Cell Count Error" on two of my charger, when I knew that the cell count was just fine. It turned out that when I shorted out the middle termials one time, I also caused sparking in the balance connector on one of my batteries, and it half melted one of the balance connector terminals. I replaces it, and the error message went away on one of my chargers. On the other charger it turned out that one of the balance connector pins on the charger wasn't making good contact, so I bent it slightly at a small angle, and the error message went away on my second charger.

Right now I have four working chargers, except that one of them consistently reads about 400 mah lower than all of the others. I know it's the charger because if I swap batteries the problem stays with the charger, not the batteries. This problem's got me stumped, so right now I'm just living with it.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
E2C_Mech

Hi,

The easiest way to avoid an improper hookup is to always charge using both connections to the Cellpro 10S, the balance connector and discharge lead. The charger will error when it does not read the same voltage from both connections.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
E2C_Mech

ORIGINAL: can773

Does the Cellpro not look at total pack voltage (across the main leads) and compare what it see's to the balance tab voltage? If it does then it should immediately know that something is not right since it would be ''missing'' a cell...this should prevent this type of failure.

I dont have one of these chargers so I am not sure, but all my other chargers do this sort of compare logic and it works good if say the balance lead is damaged etc.

Really too bad Keith, bad enough to smoke your own pack, worse when the equipment does it for you!
Hi,

It does perform this check and will not allow the charge to start if the operator does not connect his pack to the proper connection (which is clearly marked).