Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

rc-expert.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rc-expert.com

You can find those Carbon fibre motors all over ebay. The motor casing is made out of printed CF. I'd imagine it's lighter than some of the rolled metal or aluminum they commonly use, but I don't see how it would help with heat dissapation since Aluminum is a great heat conducter (copper is even better).
Old 08-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Traveler

Hey colrod12,

My heli came with 2 seperate paper sheets with instructions. One contained the standard-warning on LiPo's that I also got with my Walkera #05-2 and the other contained programming-instructions for the ESC. The only "software"-selectable option my ESC seems to have, is turning braking on and off.

BTW: I had my first attempt at hovering today, but didn't have a suitable training-gear and the heli always seemed to want to topple over to it's side when about to take off, so it was just ground-shuffling for this first flight. Probably just needs trimming, but I didn't want to risk trying it on the standard-gear. For my next attempt, I'll probably use a home-made contraption out of bamboo-sticks as training-gear, similar to what others on this forum have used. Control seemed to be quite good, even a bit too responsive for my (CP beginners-)taste. I'll probably adjust the sensitivity for the collective-stick to about 50% for my next attempt. The gyro seems stable and working properly, at least on the ground. After trimming it out, the tail tends to stay in 1 place with almost no corrections needed. The motor and ESC do run quite hot. After a few minutes at near-takeoff speed (which is around 70-75% throttle, with the stock wooden blades I put on), the motor as well as the ESC are almost too hot to touch. RC Expert replied to me that the max. temperature for both is around 70 degrees C. I have been lucky enough not to see any smoke or fire erupting from it yet. ;-) I asked them if these temperatures are normal for this set and if they have any possible solutions. Gear-meshing seems quite smooth and there's also not much friction in the tail-drive. If your motor / ESC blew up during the first hover, I would ask them for a replacement. Good to hear that you got to it in time to save your battery and possibly the rest of the heli. I hope I'll be able to get the temperature-problem resolved before the same happens to me. :-)

The red "RC Expert" 1800mAh LiPo's got me around 10 minutes of power on their first charge. The supplied charger (the variant with a red/green LED) seems to be OK. The LED turns from red to green after 1.5 - 2 hours of charging and the packs stay at room-temperature for that whole time. BTW: These packs stay considerably cooler during flight than what I'm used to with the Walkera #05-2 and it's 2S 700mAh LiPo. When I took that pack off after my first flight, I was actually a bit concerned about it's temperature. The ones from RC Expert never got more than a bit warm to the touch until now.

Grtz,

Traveller
Old 08-10-2005, 08:34 PM
colrod12

Traveler
for sure use a training gear dont crack you'r heli up. with it at least you can work the bugs out of your flight controls then fly it with out one.
One Other thing I used the wheel collars on my flybar to tame down this little monster whenst i first got it cause it was too
twichy for me,
the weights were great!!
helped me get confi as i did'nt have to worry about over/correcting I have now left the weights/training gear,on the ground as I dont need them anymore but I dont mind saying they helped me git here.

Also for the overheating problem you'd do well to get a heat sink for the motor but the best thing you can do is upgrade to a
35 or better amperage esc..
On my x400 (scareface) I'm Runing the CC35a cools things down a wee bit And the best thing is, I'm Runing on default settings
Just plugged it and flew

Thanks for the words on my x400. the canopy on the right side is burnt hence the name scarface.
I'm glad your batt pacs are working for ya,
my blue ones would'nt even get the trexer into the air 11.1 1900s but like you I have couple other copters honeebee2s,
they work great on them.
For my trexer/x400 I now use the TP2100 mahs EXCELLENT BATT!!.
BTW to charge these (tp2100s) I use the same charger that came with my trexer the same one you got works great!!
After the same time as you 1-2 hrs light goes green batts are cool and i get about 10 mins of some way cool flying
Old 08-13-2005, 05:07 AM
chrishelicopter

Traveler 's Profile

===================================

Member: Traveler
View:4

Top 10 Most Recent Posts
Started the Thread | Posted in the Thread

RE: rc-expert.com
08/10/2005 08:00:36: PM
08/09/2005 11:25:49: PM
08/09/2005 09:30:26: PM
08/09/2005 04:38:22: PM

Total Forum Posts: 4

Last Post: 08/10/2005 08:00:36: PM

Last Login: 08/11/2005 07:41:41: PM

=======================================

He ONLY reply and read this topic !!!!!!!!!!

I think he is 99% "RC Expert" staff !!!!!!!!!!

This guy Register a new account and say "RC Expert" is good !!!!!!!!!!

Is it a good company? Cheating !!!!!!!!!!! [:@]
Old 08-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Traveler

chrishelicopter:

Geez, no. I don't even work for any RC model-related business at all. I only recently purchased my first CP-heli from RC Expert, wanted to add my experiences to this thread and registered the account to do it. I had been browsing these forums for some weeks already, so this thread was as good as any other to start posting in. How did you come to the conclusion that I have only read this thread, BTW? Anyways, if you think I work for RC Expert, the moderators should be able to verify I'm posting from a Dutch ISP.

colrod12:

Thanks for the tips! I think I read the one on weighing down the fly-paddles somewhere else too and will certainly give it a try if all else fails. For now, I've used the RD8000's "dual rate"-function to reduce the max. travel of the collective-servo's to 40%, which seems to make it a bit less jumpy. I have made training-gear out of 2 bamboo sticks now, but haven't tried to lift off yet. I'm thinking about using 4 short pieces of rope with a few CM of slack to tie it down by the landing-gear to a flat surface, preventing it from tipping over but allowing it to get airborne. In combination with the bamboo sticks, this should allow me to get a feel of it's response and balance and as long as I don't push the collective-stick too hard, it should always land levelled, without the rotor striking anything.

BTW: RC Expert found me a suitable cooling-element for my motor. Hopefully, that will solve the temperature-problems and allow me to fly it without worries. The info I posted about the ESC earlier doesn't seem to be entirely correct. The paper with programming-instructions I got with the set, seems to apply to the "RC Expert" ESC's and I got a genuine Align 25A with governor-mode. I grabbed the programming-instructions for that ESC from Align's site and noticed the ESC in my set came programmed for 16KHz PWM-frequency. As far as I understand, setting it to 8KHz might lower the heat-development somewhat, at the expense of some performance. Is this possible and recommended with a 3200KV-motor? If it's really brand and type-specific, I'll ask RC Expert. The ESC also came programmed with the low voltage cutoff at 60% of nominal battery-voltage, which seemed a bit low to me and I have since set for 65%, which would mean it would start throttling down once the battery-voltage falls to 8.19V under load. Should be easier on my LiPo's.

Grtz,

Traveller
Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 PM
colrod12

I think chrisheli's, got it in for ya man just kidding I understand where he is coming from.

Training kits this is An FYI/Hint
My 1st one I made Out of the bottoms of Wire hangers/Clothhangers the Straight part on bottom. the center just a little block Of wood.
Weight was not Aconcern, so much As was Hovering safely And Coming down That way too!
Not prettyt looking but did the job!!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Traveler

Hey colrod12,

Thanks for the tip. Will try that as well. I also heared that putting a circle of metal wire around the ends of the sticks of the training-gear gives more stability. I've since tried several other solutions for the training-gear, but it hardly gets off the ground, even with light wooden sticks. Also, the motor runs really hot after a few minutes and even starts to smell a bit. Going through the programming of the transmitter, I noticed it came programmed with the middle of the throttle-curve set for 30% and the top set for 55% in normal flight-mode. I actually found this out earlier, when trying to program the ESC (which requires 100% throttle on powerup to go into programming-mode). This might explain a thing or two. From what I understand, brushless motors like to run near their full speed and actually pull much more amps at around half of that. I'll probably set up one of the pitch and throttle-curves to give me 0-100% throttle without any pitch, so I can safely monitor temperatures on the ground. If that helps and doesn't actually make things run even hotter (which would probably fry the motor / ESC), I'll attempt another hover, with some more head-speed. It'll probably be at least a week before the cooling-element arrives and I'm really beeing careful not to blow anything up before that time. :-)

Grtz,

Traveller
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM
wheelstu

Here is my exp with rc-expert. I ordered a trex xl with all the goodies and i plugged it in and it took off by itself in my living room. The trans was on and in ths throttle off pos. That was fun. I got a futaba 6hc instead of the hi tech and I do not know how to set it up for normal flight. right now it wont take off and the pitch seems excessive at idle. Does anyone know what the settings are from the new model start for this transmitter and heli? I can power it up and the heading gyro seems to work but my trim is maxed out and the tail kicks hard left when I power down.
Thanks,
I have been flying r\c all my life and just bought a ready to fly trex from rc-expert who has customer service problems. They never sent me a setup guide or any instructions. The sales guy told me that the tech, who dont speak english, advised not to use factory settings in the radio. If you say "ready to fly" the model should fly.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:33 PM
thecheatscalc

that seems like bad advice....
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Traveler

Hey wheelstu,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I haven't had any major technical problems with their product that I couldn't solve myself so far, but I still haven't really flown my T-Rex 450X yet.

As far as the wrong items beeing shipped: When ordering something like this online, I usually ask a lot of questions and get all the info I need from the seller to make my decision. Then, when ready to order, I write up an exact list of everything they should ship me and in what configuration, if applicable, including prices and the sum of what I would pay for it. I then ask the seller to acknowledge that list. Seems to have helped avoiding mistakes so far and is also easier for the seller, as they don't have to go through past email-conversations to check if they didn't miss anything you asked. Remember that they might be handling 100's of mails a day.

If you did get the wrong transmitter, let them know and they'll probably replace it for you. Be sure to ask if the new one will work with the receiver they installed. :-)

Here's the issues I experienced so far:

The set came completely as ordered and expected. Everything seemed undamaged and in working order. The transmitter came with a few scratch-marks on it's back, but I decided it was not worth the trouble of making any fuss about that. The front looks like new and it seems electrically and mechanically OK. When I first attached the landing-gear and main blades and gave the heli some throttle on the ground, I noticed that the motor became almost too hot to touch after just a few minutes. This seems to be a common problem, with brushed as well as brushless setups. I mailed RC Expert about it and they're going to send me a free heat-sink for my type of motor. When ordering an RTF heli from them, I would suggest asking for a heat-sink to be installed on the motor in advance. The transmitter (I chose the Airtronics RD8000) seems to have come pre-programmed with some recommended settings for my type of heli, although the pitch and throttle-curves it came with didn't really provide enough lift and ran the motor up to just 55% of power at full throttle-stick with full pitch, which, if I understand correctly, is a bit inefficient. I did ask them to set things up conservatively for a beginner like me, though, which seems to be exactly what they did. :-) I have since programmed the pitch and throttle-curves suggested on "http://www.trextuning.com/" and will test them later today. That site also has a lot of other setup-tips and might help you a lot. I also set the "dual mode"-feature for the collective-servo's to 30% and might add some exponential as well, as the T-Rex 450X is a bit too responsive for a beginner like me in it's standard-config.

I got manuals for the T-Rex itself and the transmitter with my shipment. It also came with 2 sheets of paper. One of those contained the standard warning on LiPo-batteries and the other contained programming-instructions for the ESC (which turned out to be for a different ESC than what was installed on the heli, but I got the correct manual from Align's site). The ESC (Align, 25A) came programmed with pretty agressive low voltage cutoff-settings (cutoff on 60% of nominal battery-voltage), allowing the battery to drain to near 2.5V per cell under load. I set this to 65% (the ESC's default-value) now.

That's it so far. Again, I haven't actually flown it yet. Just bounced around on the ground a bit. :-)

Grtz,

Traveller
Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 PM
heli46
My Feedback: (51)

i got heli from rc-expert.com they have 72 hr hold on shiping your item
at ok went did get it i had it in 5 working day at bad at all th fex
and i tell you if you or new to heli it good deal. i got all this

X-400 Helicopter Kit

RC-expert Brushless Motor 3200KV (28-36) with cont

1 11.1V Lithium Battery Charger 1 add i do not use

2x 11.1V Li-polymer Battery 1800mAh (10C) do use

40A Brushless Motors Electronic Speed Controller

4 9g Mini Servo 4 pro serovs

1 Telebee Dual Rate Mini Gyro RCE-500 at heading hold lot liter in 240

1 aluminum swash plate for x-400

1 top dome for x-400

1 aluminiumtail unit case set for x-400

i got all this ship to my door for 358.00 dollar
all can get this at good deal if just him
tell him Aubrey told you to ask
i do not sale for him but thank if you or new this would be good set up
have good day
heli46
if want you can post it mind help new fly to get start at good price up date later
i was flying heli 1980 to 1990 got out can back to flying 2000 round 5 yr a go
i have had lot def ele and glow you can't get this price no where
try with shiping
his price on his sit is Price 359.99
rem i not sale just happy buyer

price and no one best it. p.s don't sale for this co. i just thank it was good deal
i ck this site and more site and not one time have no one come up when right asw
to new flyer. it all way get more hi cost helicopter or get 240 futaba or 401 futaba gyro
go to hi cost battery most new guy get in at low cost to test this hobby.
help all new guy
don't cut down on new man heli. and item
heli46
Thanks a fun flying just my pont
thanks to all and have lot of fun
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
thecheatscalc

youv'e been here for 2 1/2 years and this is your first post? woah that's a bit too patient for me....

so what is THE best online store to buy from, all the places ive seen talked about here seem to be not that great.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Find a good online store that is in the USA forget the japan and china connections plus the US stores have good customer service.I don't recommend places on here any longer because no matter what you recommend someone always has some wise*** comment about it so it is just not worth it just do a web search and find one you ask here and you will still be just as confused as you were when you started.[&:]
Old 08-16-2005, 07:34 PM
thecheatscalc

oh good thanks for all that supporting reassurance what's the best one youve found though?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:01 PM
colrod12

HEY CHRISHELICOPTER
THERES YOU'R MAN RIGHT THERE "HELI46" 99.9% RC EXPERT!!
GET HIM
Old 08-17-2005, 02:04 AM
heli46

HELI46
GET HIM what is he going do went he get me i just jokeing i just out to have fun too
and don't sale for this co. let me tell this last yr got new ele helicopter for usa deal
it cam borkn to me. gyro was in box rotor head bent so bad
i call co got it from he told me at he have sent heli all over place
not one was bonk at bad. so i had to eat a new helicopter i paid 220.00 dollar for
what did got for it 110.00 rtf.
so yes if i get esc and motor at will have wannt 6 mo so i went for it
last have fun
i have be here 2 1/2 years i also one good guy here ck out heli46
buy and sale here too
thanks
heli46
i won't be posting at much
happy flying
Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 AM
colrod12

NO HELI 46
JUST KIDDING MAN EVERYBODY JOKES AROUND.SO RC EXPERT RIPPED YOU OFF TOO HU??
Old 08-17-2005, 09:27 AM
wheelstu

Hindsight is 20\20 so I am stuck with a Futaba 6xh super. I would like to know how to set the pitch and throttle curves on this radio. Basicly what screens to do this from i.e. P-I-100%, P-N-100%,P-H-100%. Is this the pitch curve? Where is the throttle curve?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Traveler

Hey wheelstu,

Went to Google and punched in "Futaba 6XH Super Manual Download" on the first try. The first hit returned was a download-link for the manual for your transmitter, from Futaba's site.

See: http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/notes-6x.html

Hope that helps and good luck with the programming. Don't forget to stop by "www.trextuning.com". Lots of info there that I found very helpful.

Grtz,

Traveller
Old 08-17-2005, 07:37 PM
heli46

hi wheelstu,
this is 5 pont set up but you can use it ok on 3 pont
but don't use 2 pont and 4 pont at for 5 pont only
good luck on geting it right ck post and saw you flying t-rex helicopter right

i did not come up with this seting i change some litte
but try this

Don't bother setting up idle-up-2.
Use a pitch range of 0 to 8 degrees for normal mode
Set your 3-point pitch curve for 0, +4, +8 (nice and linear). it such work
Start with a throttle curve of 0, 60, 90 such be ok but 2% at time get right for normal mode
Start with a throttle curve of 25, 50, 100 for idle-up-1 if new do not try 3d at this time so do not turn on idle up 1 at such get you in ball park fig i change some set dif to work colse to 3 pont seting
let me know if help you i have lot lean to come from old heli day
got this from dif site i going gave at site rem not use 2 or 4 pont setup
here at site

http://www.natew.com/rcheli/frame_ma...html.FullSetup

and if need book let me know i send to your email cant send here
thanks have fun
heli46 i post up here see if i colse to what you need
all heli guy see you thank this setup would help him out
gave hand
Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 PM
wheelstu

I have the manuel but i dont know what PI-N normal 100% ch 1,2,3,high side and low side PI-I idle up 100% ch 1,2,3,high side and low side PI-H hovering 100% ch 1,2,3,high side and low side . Is this the pitch curve or is it in the P-AT 100% relating to stick position?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
leadsinga

Hi all,

Interesting topic ... just had a wee read n thought I'd add my 5 cents cause 2 cents is never enough

I personally have imported some 30+ heli's from rc-expert. I'm downunder in NZ and have brought in CH4's and #35's etc.

I find they are great to deal with. Yes they can be a little slow at repling to emails etc but over all they have offered me great prices and really stood by their products.

They ahve made a few mistakes when I ordered the CH4's and some came with missing extra's I ordered but they straight away sent the items missing at their cost. Also I have had 3 warrentee claims on electronic's and they have sent new replacments!!!! Can't complain really.

I last month bought 2x RTF T-Rex ... One for me one for a mate ... and yep today I am grounded through getting a little cocky on a windy day.

Both arrived fairly well built and RTF but like anything you needed to program radio etc.

Don't forget guys heli's are tempremental as hell and its still our jobs to check every screw etc ... I know I do and yeah I'm pretty happy.

Just wait for the NZ dollar which has gone to the pack to improve before placing another order or two

p.s I'm a kiwi at the bottom of the world who appresiated good service ... I don't work for them ... haha

Muz
Old 08-19-2005, 08:39 PM
wheelstu

[]You must be lucky. I got one trex 450xl,esc, and gyro RTF. Futaba 6Xs super eas the only option they gave me. I did not get a 110v charger or antenna holder .50 item. the thing took off by itslef and after several resets of the radio I cannot get it to fly. They told me to use SWSH 2 and that is not how it is setup. They still have not sent the proper charger after two weeks and when I talked to them on the phone the tech did not speak english. All my heli friends cannot get it to fly. I am going to buy another radio because it is mechanicly ok.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
heli46

this is too wheelstu

how i got this deal with him i was looking x-400 cost less
and told him want 2 good battery so he gave two 10 c rate i did't no at time
i thanking i was going get 30amp esc but i got 40amp esc
i also told to him at i want heading hold gyro. said i make deal it not out at time will be soon
and at how i got for 358.00 to door save 40.00 dollar on shiping and ins at way
from him and got all up grade here Aluminum swash plate for X-400 (ARK-201)
Top dome for X-400 (ARK-203)
Aluminum tail unit case set for X-400 (ARK-204)
but if want chager came with this deal send me 3.85 to send it too you
i also have 2 more chager but do not have end on him woul have but end on him
i send all 3 to you for 6.00 only you have paypal acct but would usps money order if want
and i will look at 6xh book it not super radio but thank it will work
let no on chager. i got new chager in mail today
thanks heli46 and sorry on heli but got get it right or at can happan
p.s i wil get back to you and let know tell me what esc you have
thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Traveler

Hey,

I just had my first few hovers on the T-Rex 450X I got from RC Expert a few weeks ago, after making a heavy-duty training-gear out of PVC pipes, long enough to make me feel comfortable. :-) Most of it was inside the ground-effect, but I got knee-high on some occasions. Inside the ground-effect, it would sometimes slide from side to side very fast and it was hard not to over-compensate. A bit higher up, it got a lot more stable. The space I had available wasn't very large (something in the order of 5x10 meters, I think), so I was still a bit careful. Tomorrow, I'm going to have a go in a sports-hall size (and height) empty floor at one of my employer's data-centers, which also helped a lot when I was learning to fly the Walkera #05-2. It's really a nice place to do some practise after work. You'd really have to try very hard to hit any obstacles, if you don't count crashing into the floor. :-)

Here are the adjustments I made to my RC Expert T-Rex 450X with Airtronics Sanwa RD8000 so far. I got the one with the carbon-parts.

- Pitch and throttle-curves it came with only went to 55% max power and pitch needed adjusting. Adjusted the 0-point for the pitch-servo and put in the recommended pitch and throttle-curves from http://www.trextuning.com Now it gets off the ground just above half throttle-stick (with the PVC training-gear on), with a decent head-speed.
- Gyro-sensitivity and tail-servo weren't adjusted properly. The way it was set up, the switch on the TX switched the sensitivity between 50% and 55%, which are both heading-hold mode. I set the non heading-hold mode to -50%. The length of the tail-servo rod seems to still need the adjustments described in the gyro's manual to have equal trim across both HH and non-HH modes.
- Blade-tracking was slightly off (about 0.5 - 1 CM). This was easily adjusted.
- Some minor adjustments to some of the linkage-rods, to make the angle of the round holes align with the balls on both sides.
- I set the dual-rate for the collective-servo's to 40% and added 35% exponential. This seems to help in "taming the beast". I didn't even have to move the servo-rods to the inner holes (they're all still in the outer holes) or add flybar-weights.
- ESC (Align 25A with governor-mode) came with quite agressive low voltage-cutoff at 2.52V per cell under load (which, after reading up on it, seems to be the default Align ships it with). I adjusted it to 2.73V per cell.
- The ("RC Expert"-branded, carbon-coated) 3200KV brushless motor that came with this set tends to run quite hot after just a few minutes at hover-speeds. RC Expert shipped me a free cooling-element for this motor, but I haven't received it yet, so I cannot yet comment on how much it will help. I programmed the PWM-frequency of the ESC from the 16KHz it came with to 8KHz, as I read somewhere that this makes it a bit more efficient (at a slight performance-cost), and that seems to have helped a little bit. FYI: My ESC-settings are currently: 1-1-2-2.

Except for the motor heating-problem, which RC Expert is very helpful in trying to solve, it's mostly pretty standard stuff you have to check and setup with any new heli, even if it's "RTF". I'm still of the opinion that RC Expert is a really pleasant seller to deal with and they offered me very intresting deals, with good service, so far. I'm mostly dealing with a guy named "Benny" there. He's one of their sales-persons and has been of great help. I still haven't had any other technical problems I couldn't solve myself and needed their help on, because I tend to look up most of the info I need on the manufacturer's sites, Google or forums like these. That way, I'll learn a lot more about the subject too. :-)

If anyone bought a setup like mine from RC Expert and has a problem with it, I might be able to help. Learned a lot while tinkering with mine.

Grtz,

Traveller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.