Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

the only parts left of my original ECCPM x400 are the ark swashplate, frame, bearing blocks, and 138tooth maingear. i bought a trex and decided i didnt like the plastic frame and indirect linkage setup.

there are no realized gains between the x400 & trex maingearing. the x400 turns slightly faster in both tail and main. however the SE2 blue gears have a 1:4.24 tail rotor ratio versus the x400's 1:5 ratio. the x400's tail rotor is rotating close to the limit at normal headspeed which is why people throw their blades and grips so commonly (i threw even a trex blade when i upped the headspeed). only 1 of 3 gears fits in the smaller x400 frame so scrap this idea completely. This is the only perk that i cannot have on this hybrid project.

it's quite easy to make a hybrid because everything is usually plug and play. if you want to buy the align metal head for $135 and the complete metal tail for like $70ish they will bolt on in a zero modification replacement. personally i found i didnt want a complete metal head so i kept critical parts plastic in order to minimize crash damages (main hub & blade grips). on the tail end i used the complete trex SE system and 347mm stretched boom/belt drive (also so i could use long blades). for the head, i disliked align's head so i used the microheli flybar system.

DX6 refers to the DX6 2.4gigahertz spread spectrum rx/tx system. it's glitch proof, very reasonably price, at the sacrifice of range/line of sight and weak features (seems geared for a parkflier plane more than a heli). has some issues with its ECCPM programming which is why i am hesitant to recommend it for an ECCPM heli.

keep in mind the trex head is faster/more aggressive than the x400 head. so consider your objectives before you start buying trex parts. i got tired of the x400's soft & floaty controls, and the trex head feels like it's on rails. up or down it's super smooth but rapid (the heli moves up and down mirroring my left stick input). elevator and aileron movements are accurate and snappier. i think there's more difference in the collective feel than the cyclic.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Air-Wolf-4U

Wow...Thanks for the great information!!!! That really clears up a lot of things for me :-} That is too bad that I can not install a different main and tail gear in this thing (MX400) as there are a lot of great Bearing ones available for the T-Rex. You mentioned using MicroHeli pieces so I just checked their web site and they have a nice bearing unit for the x400 so I just might order that one. As for the rest; maybe I should just leave alone and stop trying to change it. I might purchase a new frame assembly down the road but that just might complicate things too!!!!

Thanks again for the great information!!!!!

Dwayne

Old 03-13-2006, 12:59 AM
jh4db536

the bearings/one way are fine on the x400 - there's no need to upgrade them. in fact, i believe that there are no longer any problems regarding gear quality in the x400. i have heard some reviews of the mH maingear upgrades being a complete waste of money.

i think the best upgrade is probably using the SE tail unit. $70 for the case, blade grips/hub, forked & hinged pitch slider system. and a couple bucks more to use the boom mounted tail servo and carbon control rod. carbon reinforced blades at $3 is a really nice addition as theyre a lot stronger.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Mi_Heli_guy

I landed my x400 pro ONE time a little rough (Nothing tipped over, nothing came loose) and the gear broke in 3 places. The plastic they use for the gear dose not bode well to more then -1 foot per second descent. My father and I are making some landing skid supports from UHMW (Ultra-High molecular Weight) plastic. It's VERY strong, yet flexes if need be. I will get some pictures up here, once the prototypes are complete. My father was a tool designer for Ford motor company for over 25 years, so he knows what he's doing.

Back to the plastics. The lateral strength isn't off the charts, but the tensile strength and the flexibility make this a perfect candidate for landing skids. They will flex if needed, without putting excess strain on the chassis, yet remain stiff enough to take the brunt of the landing. We've used UHMW as body mounts for 100's of other R/C cars, and they work perfect. We've also made an upgrade for the Clodbuster that allows for the attachment of 4 more wheels. With 8 wheels on a Clodbuster, they float on water.

We've worked with this stuff on numerous occasions, and we will come up with a design that is aesthetically pleasing, as well as 100% functional. It should be a direct bolt-on, with no modifications.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:00 PM
jh4db536

i still have my original x400 landing gear in useable shape. i learned on these skids and never replaced them until i found MIA's for cheap. i dropped the heli from 25-30 feet and the stock gear survived. boiling made them a lot more flexible and landingworthy.

im using MIA sidemount landing gear now. so far i have 1 medium crash on them. i think the struts themselves will probably never break in a crash (bet i could run it over with my car). and id have to drop it really hard (enough to tear the aluminum frame) to break the sidemount plates.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:57 PM
nickdi1810

Hi All,

Being new to helis and very interested in the X400 at my LHS i have found this thread to be excellent.

I have just ordered an X400 with the CCPM upgrade which includes the aluminium swashplate. I have read several posts re the failure of the stock centre hub and am asking if you would recommend upgrading this to the aluminium option before i have even started flying it or should i just start with the standard plastic part.

Cheers

Nick
Old 03-20-2006, 01:36 AM
a610412

Bdavison,
When will you start to tear apart your mx400 and do the same thing you did for the Blade CP. A step by step process of an entire rebuild of an mx400. I believe you also added a "recommended upgrades" section for the blade cp as well. This would help us mx400 pilots out very much.
You're basically my teacher for this.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:55 PM
50nickles

i was just wondering what the diff. is between the helimax 400 and the shogun 400v2....i know alot of the parts on the helimax are tricked out but how about flying. the two helis really look the same.
ORIGINAL: bdavison

Here are some more pics of the canopy. This is after about 2 of the 4 planned clear coats. You can see its starting to get shiny.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:50 AM
baldrick

Essentially what is the difference in the X400 and MX400
Old 03-27-2006, 05:08 AM
heliNate
My Feedback: (3)

No difference. Okay maybe decals.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
aws23

Hi, haven't been on this thread for awhile. Too busy flying I guess. I have been doing a lot of flying. I keep not really accurate to the minute time but I estimate over 35 hours on my MX400. I saw a few questions that I didn't see answered. I am on my second set of skids. Broke the first set about the 3rd flight. Boil them for 20 minutes and they are almost indestructable. I boil all the white plastic. Boil the thin parts for 10 min. Painting the canopy---go to Napa or any good paint store and buy primer for plastic bumpers or any plastic on a car. I could tell exactly what it is called but I loaned my spray can to a friend and can not remember the exact descrription. Scuff the canopy with real fine wet or dry and get every spot, wash with alcohol, scuff again and wash, spray 2 or 3 light coats of primer, let dry over night and spray with desired color, 2 or 3 light coats. I defy anybody to chip any paint of this canopy if you take your time and do it right. I see some comments about this or that heli not being a good beginner heli. Any heli that will fly is an excellent heli to learn on. Whatever the pocket book will stand. They can ALL be set to be easier for a beginner. I have been flying helis for 35+ years and have helped many, many fellows learn to fly really well on helis all the way from a blade up to a 2 or 3 thousand dollar heli. I never hear anything about a training gear. It is the best piece of training gear after the flight sim. Many fellows are hesitant to spend another $200.00 dollars after their heli investment but I will guarantee that it will save the cost of the sim many times over. The training gear should be used and not taken off till you can comfortably hover nose-in. Just a few thoughts-- Al
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
50nickles

does anybody know what the difference is between the helimax mx400 and the shogun v2. im talking flight characteristics please!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:54 AM
jh4db536

nvm
Old 03-29-2006, 04:54 PM
KrashMaster

[quote]ORIGINAL: aws23

Hi, haven't been on this thread for awhile. Too busy flying I guess. I have been doing a lot of flying. I keep not really accurate to the minute time but I estimate over 3-------snip2save----------------

I do whant to re-iterate on a couple of things with the mx400

Crashes happen and every choper has it's weak spots, if and when we learn were those week spots are we can manipulate them to controll crash cost.

The OTHER huge concern is support!!! I find a dwindling trend in wholesalers to support our retailers in parts, Witch means it is not bad enouph your LHS is out of stock feathering shafts and drive shafts but the supplier that supplies them are all getting back ordered as well.

I recently crashed and bent the feathering [spindle] shaft / two pitch controll arms toast , well the plastic controll arms no problem, but you can't get the feathering shafts for the love of money. I order 3mm stock from the New Jersey Machine Co. and will cut and thread my own. 5 bucks for 6 feet of stock 440 steel, titanium for more $$$ but you need a diamond drill to make holes and diamond DYE to make threads.This feathering shaft is unique and can not be substituted with others, it is 55 mm long, thats the problem, t-rex's magority of others use 40mm shafts. Good thing I had a crash chopper whole/complete or I would be stuck in front of a SIM for the next week.

Support for SOME of the x400 parts is starting to stink, and if I can't lick these problems in my friends machine shop I will dump this bird and get a TREX all metal silver and get it over with. I do LOVE the way this bird flys, it has less slop than the T_Rex's plastic hub models and as a result gives a steadier hover.
There are possabilities of using someone elses rotor on the mx400? maybe, but BACK to the beggining of this post I DO like the fact that my weakest spot is in the rotor HUB, and pitch controll arms. It took 3 magor crashes to roast the spindle [feathering] shaft and the main shaft survived all 3 of the wrecks!!! That HUB popped off real easy in a misshap and putting an aluminum rotor hub in it's place will cause my 20 dollar crashes to rise to 40 - 100 dollars or more. [:-][:@][X(][&o]

I do see my self going all metal head and fly in the future but only if I can keep the HUB and Pitch arms plastic, that way my crashes will be Blades/arms/ feathering shaft 20 bucks, this is what I meant about controlling your weak spots, it can save you money.
Scott

" Now if I could just stay away from high tension wires with this thang BISHSHSHSHSZZZZT!! Oh[:@][:@][>:][X(] Oh never mind [:-][:-][&o]
Old 03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
50nickles

dang do i smell bad or something??? all i want to know is if there is a difference in the mx400 and the shogun v2...if anyone can let me know anything it would be great....then i can actually go out and buy one! .....2 weeks and going......to .....die.........if i dont get me a heli!........then ill really smell bad!

help!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
oppie
My Feedback: (5)

50nickles
I guess there aren't any shogun flyers reading this thread. try a new post outside of this one. Good luck.
It's ok to take a shower now.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 AM
cptsnoopy

the shogun is lighter, requires less power and a smaller battery. It likes to pitch up during fast forward flight and is harder to keep the tail where you want it. The mx-400 is heavier and requires more power and a bigger battery. It likes 3d and fast forward flight. If you are only considering one or the other get the mx-400. If you open to suggestions, get the trex450xl cde. check your local hobby shop to see which heli they support the best. That should influence your choice. (no stinky allowed!)
Old 04-01-2006, 06:34 PM
50nickles

sweet, thanks alot guys...now im gona take a nice bubble bath!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
KhmerRCHeli

Check www.helitown.com for links to forum threads of X400 related discussions.
Enjoy
Old 04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Hmm....detailed build of a MX400...would be interesting, and hard. There's a lot more stuff on the MX400 than the little blade CP. Ill think about it.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
KhmerRCHeli

Bdavison,
For your Balde CP - check the new page www.helitown.com on the Blade CP. There are tons of info as well. I also have a Blade and I never think I will get rid of it. I love it though I have an X400.
Enjoy
Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
corporateoutcast

hey guys got a few questions for you.

I just recently got my MX400 Pro back up and running and I've never successfully flown this thing and still in the setup stage. I slowly starting to tweak the heli, throttle up slow, see which way it's drifting on the ground and what not.

What I noticed tonight is that when i start getting into 50% throttle where it's ready to leave the ground I get a somewhat violent shimmy where the skids seem to be dancing around on the ground ALOT. I'm guessing this is the lack of blade balancing?

Also, I have a Futaba GY240 installed under the mast and it just doesn't hold a solid heading. I've tried tweaking the gyro gain up even all the way to 100%. If the gyro is working properly should it lock even from startup to lift, even under the most gradual thottle increases?

I seem to have a bunch of left rudder, but little right rudder, even with the servo at 0 and tweaking the servo horn so tail rotor is at even.

What sort of behavior should I be expecting from all these scenarios?

Thanks ahead of time!

jeff
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
jetnfast

Hey Jeff,

From someone who is also trying to get their Mx400 to fly, I understand your frustrations! I also had the gyro under the mast next to all the other electronics and I also experienced similar symptoms like what you are describing. I have decided to mount the gyro out on the boom in the alternate location to see if that changes anything or allows the gyro to act, well, like a gyro should. You might want to consider that as an option. If it doesnt work, then you can at least rule that out. I am waiting for the alternate mounting bracket to arrive from Tower in the next few days, then I will give it another go. Good luck!

Aaron
Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
corporateoutcast

OK, I crashed but I learned a TON! In my previous message a referred to the vibration, this was caused by 2 things, blade balance and lack of Pitch curve.

In my configuration I mistakenly setup the Pitch servo on the Gear channel of my DX6. (Don't ask) So I ended up with a fixed blade pitch throughout the entire powerband. This cause EXTREME instability and vibrations. Now I'm approximately -2 deg. pitch at 0 throttle and 6-8 deg. at 100%.

As for the Gyro (gy240), turn off the AVCS mode and keep it in conventional gyro mode. This vastly changed rudder performance and just about locked the head down.

I also found the hub to be the weakest part of the upper mechanics (now having broke 2 of them) and I'm replacing it with it's aluminium counterpart.

I'll let you you what else I find. If any of this helps.

jeff
Old 05-11-2006, 01:40 PM
flight_22
My Feedback: (51)

Has anyone see this new Helimax Heli? HeliMax MX450 XS ARF

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNMAE5&P=G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.