Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hirobo SRB Quark Forum: Photos Q&A

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hirobo SRB Quark Forum: Photos Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
HeliYogi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hirobo SRB Quark Forum: Photos Q&A

ORIGINAL: Alliot

Thank you skyking for the link. That was what I did, and the performance was better. I didn't touch anything else on that flybar. You don't really see the difference until you fly the quark outside. But, there is also a pro and con for this setting, especially for new quark owners, so be careful. They should start with the stock set up first.

Also, I will appreciate if someone gives me a quick info on the hovering speed as I mentioned earlier.

Thanks
Alliot: the RPM LED (ligth) should be on as you fly, correct RPM will influence and affect more the tail corles motor than the main engine (heat wise) touch it after flight with LED on or of. I burnt a corless after 13 months on my second Quark, Tim at MRC (Hirobos rep in US) said it was the first since they started selling the Quark over here. So take off watch for the light (see manual) land and adjust until it's on.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
HeliYogi

[quote]ORIGINAL: theskyking

fixing quark blades - a video I just made:

I guess if you have a one very clean brake on the blade, then you can do this, unfortunately my blades disintegrate into many, many little pieces [X(]

Ok, maybe no body's is going to the first pages of the thread, so here you go again:

Hirobo Quark Blades Laminating Guide

It has it's ups and downs but if you are a beginner you will save a LOT OF $$$ until you can fly and land with out incident

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhtswnsb_21fqqrn2fz

(click on link)

Cheers!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
HeliYogi

About advance settings
If you have the advance setting even inside you get more control. But first you have to control it in stock settings. My Grandma repeats and repeats: first you crawl, the you walk, then you run and maybe latter you fly

This videos are done indoors in advance settings, watch how you can go underneath a table (close to the wall) and go out beating your own turbulence (ground effects times 2)

Hey Willow I’m still waiting for that Quark Thread logo

Part 1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOeBo7_9Ec[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUg6Qnr085Q[/youtube]

Part 3
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnkI9Gi5yZg[/youtube]

Part 4
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h98sOj0RBMg[/youtube]
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
TTMT

Nice footage!

So, what is it about the advanced settings that allows finer control of the helicopter? Are there any other benefits, particularly when flying outdoors, such as steeper bank turns?

Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
theskyking

You should just set it up advanced and see. If you don't like it put it back. You won't be doing that. As someone on the rcrgoups forum said, it "wakes up the heli." Yes, steeper turns, but in my opinion, the Quark is actually more controllable and easier to fly. It is hard to explain. I'll give it some thought as to what precisely is going on. It also depends on your skill. If you can barely control it, probably leave it on stock settings. If you are finding yourself wishing it would move just a hair faster sometimes when you give it an input....... 'nough said.

EDIT: I think it has more cyclic range, and faster cyclic response time. As well the flybar move creates a tad more instability when manuevering but not when hovering.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
TTMT

Okay, I think I may try it. I'm interested in scale flying and I've been really enjoying my Quark in factory configuration. I practice flying steady, controlled ovals and figure eights, and I work at smooth approaches and touch-downs. The ground effect makes a smooth touch-down difficult.

I fully agree with you about not laminating the blades. I think sparing the power train, linkages and gears is much more important than saving money on blades. They really aren't that expensive and swapping out replacements, including balancing, takes about 10 minutes.

I'm also learning to fly a 450 class. One set of inexpensive blades costs as much as a box of replacements for the Quark. I've actually grounded that heli to train on the Quark.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
theskyking

Let us know how you like the advanced settings. 1. Flip switch #4. 2. Flybar adjustment - be careful on this, it can be confusing, see the rcgroups thread for instructions. If you get it wrong the heli will want to roll hard left and crash instantly. 3. increase rudder ATT (rotation speed).

Regarding lamination - the epoxy is a perfect solution. Blades still break easily saving parts but you can just fix them. My quark is currently flying a broken main blade, another broken main blade (in 2 spots broken), and a fixed broken tail blade (2 spots as well!!). Flies perfectly. Don't forget to balance the TAIL blade too!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
TTMT

When I get some time, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tips.

Fortunately on the blades, I don't break blades very often. I fly outdoors almost exclusively.

Trouble for me is wind. There's almost always a breeze near my home. Almost lost my Quark in the neighbor's pool once due to winds. I learned my lesson not to push it too much trying to fly in stronger breezes.

Blade balancing and tracking are vital to smooth flying. You really see it on a larger heli, like my Mini Titan, but I've seen it make a big difference on the Quark too.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM
HeliYogi

ORIGINAL: TTMT

Nice footage!

So, what is it about the advanced settings that allows finer control of the helicopter? Are there any other benefits, particularly when flying outdoors, such as steeper bank turns?

Thanks again.
Hey TTMT, what switch 4 does electronically is exponentiates the controls so there are overall more sensitive to execute, were it took you a hard right or left now a softer input is needed to achieve the same magnitude response, thus you can bring it in or out of a hard maneuver with less travel from the controls. Changing the ball position on the stabilizer to the center is the mechanical contra part of switch 4.
The thing is it goes both ways: thus "advance settings"

Did you ever try to laminate your blades? I'm sure you did and you must have had a bad experience, why don't you share it with us, then I will understand why you are so opposed to lamination. Not that I swear by it, you have read my post’s and you know I don’t, but I’m just curios about your experience.

"The way to remain permanently in ignorance is to criticize that witch we don't know, contempt prior to investigation" Herbert Spencer.

An old favorite of mine, happy flying and
Cheers
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM
theskyking

TTMT, what is "scale flying"?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 12:16 PM
TTMT

To my understanding, it's flying the heli consistent with full-scale helicopter capabilities (i.e., not 3D). Typically, scale pilots fly models with highly detailed scale fuselages (not pod and boom) in smooth, steady demonstrations. I don't know if there are published standards, but I'm pretty sure it's a category of flying at certain events.

Radio Control Hobbies (on DIY Channel cable TV) aired a show (possibly from Muncy, Inidana - not sure) that featured 3D and scale flying. I'd say the focus of scale flying is to control the heli in a manner that closely resembles full-scale flight behavior.

Personally, I'll never be good enough for 3D, so scale flying is my obvious choice. More than that, though, I actually enjoy watching scale flying more than 3D. Scale flying let's you see the aircraft clearly, and the models aren't doing things that can't actually be done by full-scale aircraft. Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed at the skills of 3D pilots.

I imagine loops and rolls are okay for scale flying, so that's all I strive to do aerobatically with my models. I plan to buy a scale fuselage for my 450 when I'm good enough not to crash it and ruin the fuselage.

Sorry for the long-winded answer.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
theskyking

Thanks - interesting. I'd say I'm somewhere between scale and 3d as far as what attracts me. I love doing banking turns and a few other manuevers that real heli's can't do, but I don't have any desire to learn full 3d.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
TTMT

Ya, I like steep banks too. Certain real helicopter can do some of those stunts. I recently saw a Red Bull Euro-built helicopter that did loops and barrel rolls. It was fantastic. I've also seen an Apache do a barrel roll on the Military Channel. I think it may be capable of a loop too.

So, in my book, those stunts fit into scale flying, and I want to learn them down the road. For now, basic flying is more than enough for me to strive for.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
theskyking

Seems to me that scale may be the only time you DON'T want advanced settings.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
TTMT

Thanks for the tip. I may try it, though, so I understand the differences.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Sturmgewehr
My Feedback: (4)

I'm thinking of ordering a Quark but was wondering if it will be available soon in 2.4ghz. 9 times out of 10 in my life, when Ibuy something new weather it's a car or anything else, a short time later a newer version comes out. Happens to me alot, plus I just prefer the 2.4ghz.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 PM
TTMT

I asked Hirobo this question back in January.  Here's their reply...

Thank you for your inquiry.
We have no plan to make 2.4GHz version.
With best regards
Hirobo Limited

Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Sturmgewehr

I asked Hirobo this question back in January. Here's their reply...

Thank you for your inquiry.
We have no plan to make 2.4GHz version.
With best regards
Hirobo Limited

Thats too bad, it would be even nicer with 2.4ghz. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 PM
TTMT

I definitely agree.  I bought a frequecy checker from Tower Hobbies using a discount coupon - maybe $30 or so - so I can scan for frequencies-in-use before switching on my transmitter and flying.

In my opinion, my Quark gets hit periodically by interference glitches because of the FM frequency. I guess that would be my only real complaint about the Quark.  Considering the very high price tag, Hirobo should update their technology and equip Quarks with 2.4.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Sturmgewehr

I guess that would be my only real complaint about the Quark. Considering the very high price tag, Hirobo should update their technology and equip Quarks with 2.4.

It's the only thing stopping me from buying the Quark.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 PM
TTMT

Depends on where you are with your flying skills. For me, learning to fly with very nervous hands, learning has been a long struggle. I'm basically fine on my G4.5 simulator, but when I get on the sticks with my 450-class Mini Titan, my nerves set in and Istill have a tough time making progress.

I've been through a fixed pitch "stick frame" helithat was a complete nightmare, a CX coaxial and, for the past nearly two years, my 450-class. The little fixed pitch jobs, in my opinion, should neverbe marketed as suitable for beginners. They're utterly unstable and jittery. Co-axials are at the other end of the spectrum. I think they're good primarily for developing orientation - nose-in, side-on and so on. Other than that, I quickly became bored with mine and sold it.

The Quark has brought me more enjoyment actually flying a helicopter than any other model. The FM equipment has not been a problem for me. I've seen what Ithink is transient interference from time to time, but never enough to seriously interfere with my enjoyment of the heli. I do a quick frequency scan, turn on my transmitter (as long as my frequency isn't in use) and enjoy flying.

You can do everything non-aerobatic with a Quark. Iwant to become proficient in scale flying, so Iwork on steady, smooth flight, but the Quark is capable of significant speed and very quick performance. It's inherently stable, but not like a coaxial. You have to "fly"the model and concentrate.

Ihighly recommend the helicopter. The design is, in my opinion, superb. The foam blades absorb crash impact and spare the drive hardware from damage. Replacement blades are cheap, and Hirobo incluces an ultra simple but cleverly designed blade balancer that allows you to precisely balance the blades before installation (very important). Simple clear plastic household tape is perfect for balancing, and it's invisible once applied. I'd say you can be airborne again in about 10 minutes following a typical crash where blade breakage occurs. I've never replaced anything but main blades (not even a tail blade) since Ibought my Quark. Honestly, Idon't crash much with it.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Sturmgewehr

Thanks for all the good info!
The main reason Iprefer the 2.4ghz, silly as it sounds is that I really like the ultra short antenna on the transmitters. I learned how to fly on a MCX, but want something Ican use outdoors as well as indoors. I loved the MCX inside the house but kind of grew a bit bored with it after Ilearned how to fly it well.Ilike the Efite CX3 alot, but I understand that it doesn't fly well outdoors like the MCX. Ithink Iwill be more than satisfied with the performance of the Quark outdoors and will be very pleased with it's indoor stability as well from what I hear. I'm considering purchasing the Quark from a dealer in Florida called YRBuy.com. They carry the Quark for $334 with free shipping, and so far their customer service is outstanding. They have answered several of my email questions over this past weekend.
Kev
Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
TTMT

If you're happy with their customer service, I think that's important.  I bought mine from HeliProz.com.  They have it for $349.99 right now.  I felt pretty happy with them too.

I'm definitely with you on the FM antennas.  You have to remember to pull them down little by little from the bottom.  One wrong push from the end and you've got a bent antenna.  Plus, they're just annoying anyway.

The continued sale of models with FM equipment makes me wonder if there isn't a massive inventory of the stuff that manufacturers are trying to use up before they fully introduce 2.4. 

I asked Hirobo about their plans for the Quark because I didn't want FM either.  To me, it's hard to spend that much knowing that part of what you're buying is outdated.  I've been dealing with it pretty well though.  Having a heli I can really enjoy makes up for it.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Sturmgewehr

Iemailed Hirobo yesterday to confirm, and was also informed today that they do not have any plans for a 2.4ghz version. However the dealer Imentioned ( YRBuy.com) claims he was told by Hirobo that they will have a new version of the Quark in approx 4 months.

Now Ihave a dilemma of sorts. Do Ibuy the FM Quark or wait for a 2.4ghz Quark that may or may not be produced?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
TTMT

Okay, I don't have a good answer for that one.

I've read that Hirobo may be producing a collective pitch Quark too. Maybe you should go back to Hirobo and tell them you've been told they were going to 2.4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.