Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
crashcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

ORIGINAL: darthdrk

Actually this isnt the first posting of my CH-53. Its posted on other forums and at the start of the project I pointed out Im leaving the tailrotor on the left side as it would be on a stock heli, just for simplicity. Never set out to do 100% accurate scale representations, just want something that looks the part and looks better and something different than the pod and boom.
I have a motto for myself when it comes to making these bodies, " K.I.S.S". Keep it simple, stupid. As stated many times not in this forum but the many I participate in. More people are liking them than hating them, there are a feew perfectionists that will have their say but yes, these are semi-scale and they provide a base to work from if someone wants to turn them into something else.
I see your point in the "KISS", and I gotta agree. I would LOVE to do a 53 in the future, yours is a consideration BUT....I got to look at every thing (including the amount of work) to make it turn out decient. I would most likely do an omhage to HM-14 but all those fools in the HM squadrons work their tails off (LMAO) to keep that crap airworthy. H53 though functional, is LABOR INTENSIVE as heck.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM
theradioflyer

I'll send it along if you'd like but I thought I'd try to get them as perfect sized as possible, Or I get pissed and say good enough I also what to get a different material than I used. I'll find something and send out a few sticker sheets to you. If you want in the mean time I'll send the files I'm currently using and you can print so off. I think I have your email but PM me with it and I'll get it to you tomorrow. It's to late for me to do it tonight

Blessings,

Jay
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM
darthdrk

LOChief, Spent time at Rucker myself, probably even seen the Loach at the museum. Thats what prompted me to join the Army, the OH-6. By golly was I disappointed when I ended up working on the OH-58s but eventually I came to like them also but not quite as much as the OH-6

A crack from a mild hard landing : now lets put that into scale perspective: The heli would have to undergo all kind of frame and landing gear inspections, engine and transmission mounts will need to be looked at so will flight controls, seats would have to be restrung, Blades looked at. Your aircraft no doubt would be RED X-ed. Ive been in a few mild Hard landings (Man I have stories)

You aint suppose to be landing these hard.

"Heavy Cav"!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
J-MICHAEL

Jay ~

Yeah that F-16 of yours is coming along nicely ! But we've seen those images already ! Where's the new and improved pictures at ?!..... LMAO... I know you've done more mister..... Unless of course you've been busy hunting still of course... [8D] I can't wait for a video of it. Maybe a maiden vid perhaps ?

Darthdrk ~

Just before the purchase of a new heli, I almost didn't get it as I was tempted on just getting a fuselage for my Trex 450 and was checking out the fiberglass ones from Heli-Artist and Fusuno. A few things that lured my attention to the fuselages as being new to any of these fuselages, except for a plastic jobber that I got from Fusuno awhile back for $30.00 for my CP-Pro, was that I knew after going plastic from that CPP fuselage I wanted fiberglass... I'am a fiberglass buff, and my experience from working with my step-dad who works with it for a living would make it a fun project and knowing I could repair or modify if I ever wanted to. I love the durability from the fiberglass, but I also noted the weights from some of the fuselages from those two companies at the same token from looking at the Airwolf and Augusta designs. However, I'am hard headed when it comes to those types of things and I would make the compensation work out as much as I could from what I know.

I had the plan of beefing up the electronics with my already owned $180.00 Kontronik Jazz esc and purchasing a beefier motor like the Steve Neu design. The battery would have then consisted of the TP V2 25c 3-cell lipo which its lightweight design, and power output would help compliment the rest of the electrics for pushing the extra 'disc-load' that the 450 was then going to experience... Taking just the general weight of the 450 before installing the fuselage was already taking place in reducing its weight.

Another thing as a customer in looking at these fuselages, since I chose that I wanted the fiberglass, was the details present in the craft... As the WOW factor up close, was the other half of the equation for my decision. I'am very particular when it comes to detail, and felt this was important. Kinda why I got discouraged with the plastic Fusuno that I got for the CPP, as it lacked that detail but I did find its lightweight characteristics very nice for such an underpowered CP-Pro anyhow...Lol... With the 450 class heli's there's so many variables present on making that extra weight fly for scale flying. If one had such enough power to push that weight, they might even have a little extra with installing some 335mm blades for the extra help, or like Lohchief said even the flat bottom blades. Or to even get more relief from the electrics maybe even with some 315mm blades...

Price wasn't really to much of a factor, although its always present in everyone's mind including my own, but I was going for durability, and detail shopping as a customer and was going to do whatever it took no matter what the cost. I wanted realism as much as possible... I sure wish they had more of a selection of fiberglass fuselages available for the 450 class heli's... But then again, as you stated I see also on keeping the cost down to attract those customers that look in that direction also, in which besides the lightweight factor the ere seems to be more a selection of the plastics ...

Anyway.... I never got anything, as the purchase of a new heli took the place of a new fuselage, but hopefully in the near future I'll be able to go that route and acquire one ! [8D]

Just my 2 cents coming from a person who was in the market of buying one,

Vic ~

You need to take to the skies again with that F-16 !

Take care guys.... Everyone play nice now.......

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10766.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1048925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47038.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1048926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85793.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1048927  
Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 PM
crashcrash

LOChief, Spent time at Rucker myself, probably even seen the Loach at the museum. Thats what prompted me to join the Army, the OH-6. By golly was I disappointed when I ended up working on the OH-58s but eventually I came to like them also but not quite as much as the OH-6

A crack from a mild hard landing : now lets put that into scale perspective: The heli would have to undergo all kind of frame and landing gear inspections, engine and transmission mounts will need to be looked at so will flight controls, seats would have to be restrung, Blades looked at. Your aircraft no doubt would be RED X-ed. Ive been in a few mild Hard landings (Man I have stories)

You aint suppose to be landing these hard.

"Heavy Cav"!
Driving into work one day at NAS Norfolk, I was on the SP side, comming into the LP side and I had to stop as main rotor blades were flying across the road in chunks. the 53 landed so hard it drove the main landing gears through the pylons and the blades struck the tarmac....I was over a mile from the impact point. Injuries added up to a couple compressed spines and a couple cases of stiff necks and ruined flight suits....also had a SH2F go from taxi hover to inverted splatter in a matter of seconds...same thing, ruined flight suits....sore necks.

My TH-57 that cracked...COLD day, low voltage cutoff on the ESC at 6ft up....I threw the throttle to full, and it come down on it's skids (kinda auto-rotation)....didn't even lay over. Crack is attributed to rigid mounting to the heli frame and THIN plastic on a cold day. Could have been avoided with rubber grommet shock insulators....no biggie.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM
darthdrk

Thats another one of my bodies that Fusuno copied and sold by HD

Youve touched on some things why I like the plastic fuselages
#1 they fly great not having to spend alot of extra cash by upgrading to larger capacity batteries, bigger ESCs and Motors. My bodies will fly on the basics and minimals of almost all brushless 450 setups.
#2 they are lighter in weight in comparison The HA MD500 and My MD500, there is over a 100gram difference. A 3s 2200 11.1v battery weighs around 180 grams
Keep in mind a heavier body isnt going to be agile and keep in mind also when comming out of turns you have a tendancy to drop altitude. Ive heard of people flying their FG fuselages and comming out of turns, they run outta air. They will fall through there downwash much quicker also.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
crashcrash

Youve touched on some things why I like the plastic fuselages
#1 they fly great not having to spend alot of extra cash by upgrading to larger capacity batteries, bigger ESCs and Motors. My bodies will fly on the basics and minimals of almost all brushless 450 setups.
#2 they are lighter in weight in comparison The HA MD500 and My MD500, there is over a 100gram difference. A 3s 2200 11.1v battery weighs around 180 grams
Keep in mind a heavier body isnt going to be agile and keep in mind also when comming out of turns you have a tendancy to drop altitude. Ive heard of people flying their FG fuselages and comming out of turns, they run outta air. They will fall through there downwash much quicker also.
NOW we're getting someplace here...(semi) scale flying these 450's. Mine, I go into forward flight and get moving pretty good and it seems that the tail wants to drop and if it were a plank, it would be in a stall attitude. I really have to hold in the down elevator to keep straight and level flight...what's up with that? I did try angling of the horistabs on the MX-400 (OH58A), it helped a tad but didn't eliminate it. Keep in mind....I've only been doing R/C heli for about 2 years, got about 18 years in planks. I know I don't fully understand rotorary wing physics as well as I do fixed wing.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
darthdrk

How about an Ah-64 landing hard and the main blades flexs down and instantly kills the co-pilot/gunner. UH-1 trys to fly in high winds and lands hard bounces back up goes into a piro, crewchief bails and Thank God no one gets killed but bad injuries and a destroyed heli. Myself and a pilot flying NOE and LL over and around dunes in the CA desert Post flight reveals somwhere during our maneuvers our blades came in contact with the ground just enough to dent the end up a bit. Not a hard landing but how about Cobra attack helis go to gunnery range and a Cobra comes back with 20mm holes in it... ?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
J-MICHAEL

I knew you were going to say that....LOL.. Exactly why there is more plastic fuselages available more than the fiberglass is just because I can see that there more of a 'plug and play' deal with a guy not having to spend a fortune on making it fly better from the heavier fiberglass versions.... But still, there is the few that will go that route like myself and getting the fiberglass jobbers... Maybe in time, more of a selection will be present... Maybe some CF versions perhaps ?!...LMAO...

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
darthdrk

You have to get use to your cruising speed and not overfly the helis ability. In a real heli you alot of times, from my little experience, moving to fast and pushing the stick forward can lead to a mean dive, slow it down and the heli will correct its attitude. Yes, the horizontal stab helps to control that but its not a cure all. All helis fly differently you just got to get to know the helis capability. Flying scale isnt whipping it around the sky. I experience the same thing in my helis when I get them moving to fast
Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
crashcrash

You have to get use to your cruising speed and not overfly the helis ability. In a real heli you alot of times, from my little experience, moving to fast and pushing the stick forward can lead to a mean dive, slow it down and the heli will correct its attitude. Yes, the horizontal stab helps to control that but its not a cure all. All helis fly differently you just got to get to know the helis capability. Flying scale isnt whipping it around the sky. I experience the same thing in my helis when I get them moving to fast
Well...at least I know it's a physical attribute now. An EXI-450 as stock tracks like an arrow without holding down elevator...put a scaler on it....it's a different heli.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
darthdrk

I can say thet because it is truth. They made their fuselages from pouring molds using my bodies. I hand carved my molds.
The give aways are the window/door details Their D model is exact copy of my D model and so is their E model Notice the lack of upper rear skylite detail on their E model mine dont have it either, same rear window shapes matches each other on both models, same everything, LG exits, widow grids, everything. This is why I dropped HD as a dealer seems like HD and Fusuno have a partnership or is owned by HD. I was selling my bodies to them and they were having them reproduced by themselves. Hey, Im not the only one HD has copied mechandise from. There are many others.

Name:	Ec87290.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1048955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70148.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1048956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43021.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1048957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61275.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1048958  
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 PM
darthdrk

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

Well...at least I know it's a physical attribute now. An EXI-450 as stock tracks like an arrow without holding down elevator...put a scaler on it....it's a different heli.
Alot has to do with weight and the aerodynamics of the fuselage. Some helis like the blackhawk, CH-53E, Comanche off set the tail rotor so that it helps to provide a little lift to the the tail. disclaimer: Im no aviation engineer but read up on it. The heli can travel faster with less forward cyclic input.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
J-MICHAEL

Darthdrk ~

I just visited your website and you have quite a selection... I remember going to it in the past, and now it seems you carry much more... Guys on the E-Flite forum would come and post a question once in awhile on where to purchase fuselages for there CX2's when they were popular last year, and I remember giving them your link as this was before the time when Horizon or other companies had there selections out for fuselages for this little coaxial... One thing I noticed, as I just visited your site is you still only offer 'Pay-Pal' as a buying option... I remember some of the guys who were interested in your fuselages had to look elsewhere, as they didn't prefer the Pay-Pal alternative... I also being one of them, for personal reasons. Going with a option of paying Visa/Mastercard or something could prove to render you a higher outcome of people purchasing your products... May want to keep it in mind...

I remember Jamie from BoomTown Hobbies, only had the Pay-Pal option and with many requests coming in from guys stating for him to offer payment Via/credit card he just so did that at the end of last year, and that made me a customer along with many others and it boosted his business considerably... First thing I look at on a website is to see if there PayPal only, and if so I leave right away so I don't waste my time looking on something that isn't going to happen because of the restrictions... Its a bummer also, because there is still a few websites in which I wish they would offer payment with a credit card like the light-kits by LiGlow...

BTW.... Where's your fiberglass fuses at ?! LMAO... Hey.... I just thought of a good slogan...(From my preferences...Lol..)..... GO GLASS OR GO HOME....[8D] Oh, how we can dream eh ?! Man with all this talk of fuselages It makes me want one even more !...LOL...

Crash ~

Flying scale isnt whipping it around the sky.
How many times have I told ya to quit taking that TH-57 inverted in your basement ?! [8D][8D]

Have a good one guys,

~ Jeff

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 PM
J-MICHAEL

I can say thet because it is truth. They made their fuselages from pouring molds using my bodies. I hand carved my molds.
Don't worry.... I believe ya... Its sad others have got to take advantage of someone else's hard work....[>:] You should have a tiny little stamp in your mold as my step-dad does for his molds of his kayaks, and full scale sculptures of eagles and bears and misc crap with some kind of an insignia with your name/company or whatever... But then again, they'll just erase it with a filler during there mold process... A no win situation it seems....

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 PM
darthdrk

Talking about people copying your stuff is like beating a dead horse alot of times.
As far as payment methods, Theres other options, You can pay through paypal using visa or MC, also Check or MOs still works too.
Paypal is just easy and leaves a easy to follow (Electronic) paper trail. I can misplace a check or MO easy and have done it. just that when I look at paypal it lets me know what I have and need to get done.
Im pretty much self employed doing this stuff full time and then some(Hobby turned into work). For me I just think Visa and MC will kinda complicate things a little more than I can handle at the moment. I am the whole operation from designer, mold maker, former, assembly worker, painter, salesman, package and shipping, distributor.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Getting in on this late but was gone for most of the day... But I just ordered one of darths canopies, the Dragonfly, and I can't wait to get it and drop it on the EXI. This will be my second canopy from Darth the other the Huey which had LOTS of details. I can't agree more with Ed that when you go to a field and EVERYBODY has the, IMO, the UGLY pointy nosed canopies that come with the heli's. Mtter of taste but I seriously think they are ugly. Pointed, cookie cutter, stamped out ugly covers. I love it when someone posts a pic of their heli with one of the ugly blankets and others go... SWEETTT!!! on nice color blue... ah yah.. very nice... NOT!!

The Darth canopies can be made to look like a toy or if ur imagination goes beyond using a spraycan then they can be made to look amazingly real. Theres extra material with the kit to make extra detail.

Ed... I'll def be back to buy another canopy. it would be much better to offer CC purchasing but unless ur monthly sales warrant it can be done then its good to offer paypal. CC would be better tho.

happy fly'n
Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 PM
crashcrash

People steal all the time. The clear top on the Pringles potato chip can....MY WIFE come up with that. She called them and complained that you can't see in the can to tell if they're broken up, they should use a more tranparent top. Well...they did the clear top BUT put a NON CLEAR seal so you still CANT see if they're tore up when you buy them (LMAO). Jeffie....I'm gonna PM you on a fiberglass question....
Old 10-09-2008, 11:48 PM
darthdrk

[:-] Ive had people post pics of their fuselage on the forums they bought from me and Ive said to my self I wish they had not done that [:@] . And Ive seen others that i say to myself, I wish they will post more pics [8D]. Its really going to come down to the individuals modeling and painting skills. Just for an estimate I can make and assemble a Jet Ranger body and paint it and have it installed on my heli in less than three hours Some of that time is waiting for the paint to dry. A more complex body shuch as the AH-64 Apache I can probably have done in about 4 hours .
Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

People steal all the time. The clear top on the Pringles potato chip can....MY WIFE come up with that. She called them and complained that you can't see in the can to tell if they're broken up, they should use a more tranparent top. Well...they did the clear top BUT put a NON CLEAR seal so you still CANT see if they're tore up when you buy them (LMAO). Jeffie....I'm gonna PM you on a fiberglass question....

People steal all the time.
True.... All A guy has to do is change one little itsy bitsy thing from the original mold that he's copying when making his plug and mold to make it legal....LOL...
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
darthdrk

Hey guys gonna hit the hay, being on the forum tonight has been a pleasure. Mabey we do it all over again tomorrow. Darth out
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
crashcrash

[:-] Ive had people post pics of their fuselage on the forums they bought from me and Ive said to my self I wish they had not done that [:@] . And Ive seen others that i say to myself, I wish they will post more pics [8D]. Its really going to come down to the individuals modeling and painting skills. Just for an estimate I can make and assemble a Jet Ranger body and paint it and have it installed on my heli in less than three hours Some of that time is waiting for the paint to dry. A more complex body shuch as the AH-64 Apache I can probably have done in about 4 hours .
I've found that the paint is normally the hold-up. I've switched from Krylon to Rust-Oleum. If you're doing two or three tone, each color has to wait 48 hours or it'll react and cause crinkles. It's good to let it DRY completely before application of another coat or color. If I'm doing Olive Drab....I use Krylon CAMO...works good.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 PM
darthdrk

One last thing as far as changing something when copying it to make it legal.........A certain percent has to be changed. On my bodies, Fusuno didnt change a thing. besides that they are produced overseas, our patent law and intellectual property laws are harder to enforce (from what I hear not saying it cant be done)
Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 AM
J-MICHAEL

Lohchief ~

I see you live in Cave-Junction, Oregon.... My mom and step dad used to live really close to you before moving back recently to Washington State... They lived in Rogue River City... He did a lot of fiberglass work for the city of Grants Pass, Oregon... One little project he did for free, was restoring the historic 'Caveman' as you may have seen in the past, from fire damage due to some vandalism... Its pretty cool ! That sucker is huge huh ?!...LOL... He loves his fiberglass and so do I, its just the itching I could due without....LMAO...

I'am currently down here on the Central coast of Cali working for my real dad down here, and soon in the next 5-6 weeks will make the 1200 mile drive back home to Washington to work with my mom and step-dad with there fiberglass stuff they create. I remember driving down through your part of the woods the first week of January some months back of this year, and having to go through all the blizzards that were hitting there by Grants pass, and also through the Sisques mountains.... NOT FUN...LOL... Roads closed, pushing snow with my car... It was crazy !... Had to spend the night for a few days in Medford until it cleared. I would visit them frequently when they lived there, and its sure beautiful country !

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Name:	Sq47454.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1048972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65653.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1048973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59271.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1048974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26687.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1048975  
Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
lohchief

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Lohchief ~

I see you live in Cave-Junction, Oregon.... My mom and step dad used to live really close to you before moving back recently to Washington State... They lived in Rogue River City... He did a lot of fiberglass work for the city of Grants Pass, Oregon... One little project he did for free, was restoring the historic 'Caveman' as you may have seen in the past, from fire damage due to some vandalism... Its pretty cool ! That sucker is huge huh ?!...LOL... He loves his fiberglass and so do I, its just the itching I could due without....LMAO...

I'am currently down here on the Central coast of Cali working for my real dad down here, and soon in the next 5-6 weeks will make the 1200 mile drive back home to Washington to work with my mom and step-dad with there fiberglass stuff they create. I remember driving down through your part of the woods the first week of January some months back of this year, and having to go through all the blizzards that were hitting there by Grants pass, and also through the Sisques mountains.... NOT FUN...LOL... Roads closed, pushing snow with my car... It was crazy !... Had to spend the night for a few days in Medford until it cleared. I would visit them frequently when they lived there, and its sure beautiful country !

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Mornin' Jeff,yeah it is nice around these parts.I live about 2 miles south of CJ on 199,which I lovingly refer to as "bug tussle".The caveman is awesome,nice that your step dad could do that for the community,damn nice of him.Speaking of snow,looks like we might get some today in fact,in the hills that is.The passes (like sexton) do get weird in the winter time if your taking I-5,which is faster,kinda.I get up into the hills too,but not as much as we used to.This area is great for gold,and we gots th' stuff to find it.
-lohchief

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.