Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:50 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

heh heh heh... thats funny... I have a gold pan that I've kept in the back of my truck for ever. Never leave home without it.

happy pan'n
Old 10-10-2008, 02:15 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

heh heh heh... thats funny... I have a gold pan that I've kept in the back of my truck for ever. Never leave home without it.

happy pan'n

LMAO....I thought pann'in went out at the end of the 1800's.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
DumbDawg

Well not entirely.. Just can't sem ta rap mah head aron them new fangled machines. Where u supposed to put the horse??? Time to go fly me heli now... dang it all anyway with them stupid head gold machines. My EXI is call'n

happy fly'n
Old 10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
crashcrash

Well not entirely.. Just can't sem ta rap mah head aron them new fangled machines. Where u supposed to put the horse??? Time to go fly me heli now... dang it all anyway with them stupid head gold machines. My EXI is call'n

happy fly'n
We're having a GREAT day for anything that flies. Maidened the F-16, and flew it 3 more times after the maiden...yup...this field (5+ acers) is TOOOOO SMALL for this plane, the margin for error is NILL (LMAO).
Old 10-10-2008, 03:16 PM
J-MICHAEL

Lohchief ~

Yeah I remember Sexton pass very clearly ! YIKES... That was a nasty adventure... Everytime I thought the roads would get better, it proved otherwise as my GPS showed the elevation still rising on I-5 there, and not so many 'choice words' were coming out of my mouth....LMAO... I'll probally going through all that stuff again at the end of November.... Hopefully there will be no snow when I venture through there again. But hearing you say there's snow on the hills already has me a bit worried...Lol..

Yeah as you probally remember my step dad was the one who built the 43 bears for the city of Grants Pass for Bearfest which I believe was in 05'... He completed all of them in like 3 1/2 months I believe... When he showed me how much he made, I didn't believe him until he showed me a bank receipt...Lol.. At over $4,500 a piece he brought in about $220,000 buckeroos... Better than panning for gold ! But for the price of gold these days, I'd be out there everyday on your property... He didn't paint them, as different artists from the community did that. He just constructed the structures...

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1049159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35770.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	1049160   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26260.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1049161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43098.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1049162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35556.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	1049163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38318.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	1049164  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
J-MICHAEL

And then of course so he stayed out of trouble the next year he did the eagles for the city for display on the streets, which were actually my favorite more than the bears... I can see it now... When I get back to Washington, and working in his shop I'll have my 'own corner' which will include fuselages, canopies, blades, anything I can muster for this addicting hobby of our heli's....LMAO... I can't wait to get up there and start itching....

Alright..... Enough off topic stuff.... You guys talking these fiberglass fuselages got me going...LOL... Its always been a little side passion of mine playin' in the stuff....

Cheers ~

Jeff

Name:	Fd91849.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1049172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48821.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1049173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62800.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1049174   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97289.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1049175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90538.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1049176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90663.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	1049177  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:26 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

And then of course so he stayed out of trouble the next year he did the eagles for the city for display on the streets, which were actually my favorite more than the bears... I can see it now... When I get back to Washington, and working in his shop I'll have my 'own corner' which will include fuselages, canopies, blades, anything I can muster for this addicting hobby of our heli's....LMAO... I can't wait to get up there and start itching....

Alright..... Enough off topic stuff.... You guys talking these fiberglass fuselages got me going...LOL... Its always been a little side passion of mine playin' in the stuff....

Cheers ~

Jeff
Yeah...if I even LOOK at fiberglass....I start itching and my skin turns fire red...Thank you US Navy for that one (LMAO).
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM
J-MICHAEL

Gotta run to the LHS and check out some motors for the Trex.... One thing that drives me mad, is I don't understand these KV ratings on these things ! My Trex 450 SA has a 3550KV motor in it, and I noticed the Trex 450 SE V2 has a 3700KV motor in it... I'am assuming the V2 is obviously a more powerful motor, but then what confuses me is that when you really start going for the real powerful motors like the Medusa's and the Neu motors, there KV is much lower... ? What the hek...? So then it goes backwards ?!

Do you understand how they rate these Vic ? If you do, you need to let me know...LMAO.. I still don't get it...

Alright, talk with ya guys later,

~ Jeff
Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM
J-MICHAEL

Vic ~

Yeah lol...! Itch city....! I heard you mention MEKP as a catalyst, and my dad uses the same... And yes.... You use to much, you'll get the nice cracklin' sound with smoke and then fire as its 'kicking' to much to fast depending on humidity and temperature in the surrounding environment...YIKES...! The stuff is fun....

~ Jeff
Old 10-10-2008, 03:47 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

Cheers ~

Jeff
Yeah...if I even LOOK at fiberglass....I start itching and my skin turns fire red...Thank you US Navy for that one (LMAO).

How's this for itching....LOL..!!

YIKES....! Hey.... Speaking of the U.S. Navy... When I was digging up these pics I came across my picture from 20 years ago 89', of me fresh out of boot-camp out of San-Diego...LMAO...

Name:	Tr50105.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1049190  
Old 10-10-2008, 03:53 PM
DumbDawg

I believe when ur talk'n pwer motors you are looking not so much at the Kv or rpm's but wattage of the motor. So even if the Kv/rpm is lower the motor may have more torque more umph!! than the other motors... wattage makes a huge dif.

More power...

Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
J-MICHAEL

I believe when ur talk'n pwer motors you are looking not so much at the Kv or rpm's but wattage of the motor. So even if the Kv/rpm is lower the motor may have more torque more umph!! than the other motors... wattage makes a huge dif.

More power...

I figured maybe so... I think the SA is 330 watts and the Trex V2 is 370 watts... But what drives me crazy, is you look at these motors at say the LHS and on the motor it displays the KV info but not the watts ! [>:] I hate that...! I'am gonna do a quick browse for some info, and then head off to the LHS... Thanks for that info ! I appreciate it...

Have a good one,

~ Jeff
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM
crashcrash

More power...

I figured maybe so... I think the SA is 330 watts and the Trex V2 is 370 watts... But what drives me crazy, is you look at these motors at say the LHS and on the motor it displays the KV info but not the watts ! [>:] I hate that...! I'am gonna do a quick browse for some info, and then head off to the LHS... Thanks for that info ! I appreciate it...

Have a good one,

~ Jeff

I'm running 3500kv on my 450's, and the 3200kv's work well too. I think you're overthinking it. There is a chart on the net that gives wattage for KV ratings....I've seen it. But it also depends on # of poles, mfgr, etc. It'll be fine, why buy stuff you don't need. A decient battery is more important than 3200 or 3500/3700kv.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 PM
theradioflyer

Man Jeff, your step Dad is quite an artist[X(][8D] Neat stuff!

Blessings,

Jay
Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 PM
darthdrk

Thought Id share some more 53 pics. taken today had fun flying. As you can see no problem with the electric tail. Works ace for me.

Name:	Ec87908.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1049774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68094.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1049775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81545.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1049776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18606.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1049777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb35352.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1049778  
Old 10-11-2008, 03:17 PM
DumbDawg

Can't wait to get the new canopy I ordered from you Ed. Can't remember if you provide some tips for fabricating the landing struts and what size wheels to buy. Do you??
Old 10-11-2008, 07:05 PM
J-MICHAEL

Jay ~

Thanks for the compliments... Maybe when I get up there, I'll make ya an Eagle head...Lol.. It only takes an hour or so... You can paint it with all your fancy airbrushing stuff... I made one the last time I was in Oregon visiting my parents...You can smack it to death over and over on the concrete, and it won't break ! (We tried)...

Darthdrk ~

Lookin' good....... We need video !

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
crashcrash

Jay ~

Thanks for the compliments... Maybe when I get up there, I'll make ya an Eagle head...Lol.. It only takes an hour or so... You can paint it with all your fancy airbrushing stuff... I made one the last time I was in Oregon visiting my parents...You can smack it to death over and over on the concrete, and it won't break ! (We tried)...

Darthdrk ~

Lookin' good....... We need video !

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Jeff...I can get my hands on .20MM fiberglass tape on the roll 1.5" wide x 50ft long, it's dirt cheap...I'll be glassing the Huey for sure. Did I mention.....I HATE fiberglass (LMAO). Still havent located fiberglass mould wax in a spray as yet....I'll keep looking.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 PM
J-MICHAEL

Vic ~

The stuff my dad used to use looked like this in comparison http://www.rexco-usa.com/part_POWER.htm Had that greenish haze to it, and came in a 1 gallon jug... I'am sure he probally uses something better, as I'll wait and see when I get up there...

Have you ever gone to this thread here on RCU ? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6614195/tm.htm "Fiberglass Mold How to Tutorial" It may be interesting for ya, or to post a question on what those guys prefer maybe... I keep up on in from time to time... Go check it out ol' man.... [8D]

Take care Vic !

Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
darthdrk

Can't wait to get the new canopy I ordered from you Ed. Can't remember if you provide some tips for fabricating the landing struts and what size wheels to buy. Do you??
Pretty much all the info is contained with the kit
Old 10-11-2008, 09:31 PM
crashcrash

Vic ~

The stuff my dad used to use looked like this in comparison http://www.rexco-usa.com/part_POWER.htm Had that greenish haze to it, and came in a 1 gallon jug... I'am sure he probally uses something better, as I'll wait and see when I get up there...

Have you ever gone to this thread here on RCU ? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6614195/tm.htm "Fiberglass Mold How to Tutorial" It may be interesting for ya, or to post a question on what those guys prefer maybe... I keep up on in from time to time... Go check it out ol' man.... [8D]

Take care Vic !

Did a lot of fiberglass repairs in the Navy, but never had to make the "plug". Mostly if a section was completely burned or obliterated, we backed it with aluminum sheeting, used spray wax, and made a new section...hours of building up and contouring...especially the H53 dog houses for the engines....they were on tracks and had mating pins. Those guys would kick them shut destroying the aluminum framing and bending the steel pins....the fiberglass just self destructed under the pressure. I looked at Doc's fiberglass thread....not what I had in mind but very ball park. I'm going to use a PET fuse as the plug as it were, using wax to release it. We'll see on the first casting if I'm just wizzing in the wind here.[X(]
Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 PM
theradioflyer

Aim down wind there Vic
Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Aim down wind there Vic
LOL....just did a test casting and popped it out....it's a little bit flexy, so I got to wait for full cure to see if it gets some rigidity. I used "future" floor wax, and it actually worked. Got good edges, contours, etc. Now it just needs to stiffen up some more, but it was WAY fun.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:32 PM
J-MICHAEL

Aim down wind there Vic

LMAO..........!!

Vic ~

Yeah.... Careful where ya aim that thing....LOL.. But hey..... Another example is this... My dad bought a bird bath from Home-Depot, and the one in the pic he made and is the end result from the original made out of a composite material... He used this pinkish gel-type stuff that's very flimsy and mushy and it gets also in those tiny little cracks and grooves and pops out with ease as an agent... I see you having no problems pulling something out of that pet material like the pictures you showed a page or so back on whatever release agent you use, even if you just go with a wax release method or something ... The surface is already smooth, and you don't have any radical curves to worry about either as you already know... It should come out sweet ! [8D]

~ Jeff

Name:	Pn36777.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	1050038  
Old 10-11-2008, 10:34 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

Aim down wind there Vic
LOL....just did a test casting and popped it out....it's a little bit flexy, so I got to wait for full cure to see if it gets some rigidity. I used "future" floor wax, and it actually worked. Got good edges, contours, etc. Now it just needs to stiffen up some more, but it was WAY fun.
Flimsy I bet... But I'll have to find out what that thick crap he uses hopefully soon (pinkish crap)...LOL..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.