Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:55 PM
noobflyer01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXI-450 discussions/mods/scale projects

check out these vids i found on the exi450

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTTg...ture=rec-HM-r2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1rmXP4B2VI&NR=1
Old 12-13-2008, 08:15 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

check out these vids i found on the exi450

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTTg...ture=rec-HM-r2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1rmXP4B2VI&NR=1

Nice.....
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

My K2 used to be somewhat like that... erratic and upside down JUST before it would attempt to go gopher and bury itself under 3 feet of ground... oi vay...

happy fly'n
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

OH... SMEG... Just melted a huge hole in the body of the DragonFly I'm doing... frik'n not pay'n attention... I'll see if I can post a pic a bit later for some suggestions on how to fix the thumb sized hole on the top of the body... just before the riser that covers the swash...

Its really thin on the top and it just dropped out pretty much... I was using a small torch deal with an attachment for cutting styrene etc... I was starting to cut out various things and was making openings on the front of the riser when I got the torch a tad to close... Smeg....

Any ideas??? Should I cut it out and try to glue another piece in?? Glue another piece directly over the whole top?? Under it and fill with 'bondo'??? not sure which way to go or if there is something better...

happy frik'n hole fix'n...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:37 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

OH... SMEG... Just melted a huge hole in the body of the DragonFly I'm doing... frik'n not pay'n attention... I'll see if I can post a pic a bit later for some suggestions on how to fix the thumb sized hole on the top of the body... just before the riser that covers the swash...

Its really thin on the top and it just dropped out pretty much... I was using a small torch deal with an attachment for cutting styrene etc... I was starting to cut out various things and was making openings on the front of the riser when I got the torch a tad to close... Smeg....

Any ideas??? Should I cut it out and try to glue another piece in?? Glue another piece directly over the whole top?? Under it and fill with 'bondo'??? not sure which way to go or if there is something better...

happy frik'n hole fix'n...
post pic...we decide from there....
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Yeah....the pre-mades have resistors on one of the legs of the LED. Most LED's even the highbrites run on 3v so unless you got too many in series, the brightness should be right. You should wire them paralell and use a resistor on each (1/8th watt, but I forget how many ohms). Dont get too upset if you fry a couple messing with it...I have from time to time.
I am running a 5V LED through my Rx with a Jst like you say to do. I should not need a resistor until I try and run the 5v LED on say a 7.2v battery or my 11.1v Lipo... Maybe because the wire is spliced to both the LED and the bind plug, i am losing power somehow? I will try to go str8 to the Rx without a splice first and then see whats up. I really am enjoying the easy-going flights at night over all the Xmas decor...One of these nights, i know i am going to crash into Rudolph, i just know it...haha

Can someone decipher this for me....I am not sure how many volts that Dynam BEC is supplying...that could be my problem right there...

ESC-40A ItemYE-1004
Size(mm): 50 X 25 X 7
Weight: 23g
Current:40A
NiCd/NiMh] /servos: 6/5 8/5 10/4 12/3 <This one I don't understand????
[Li-xx]/servos: 2/5 3/4

Thanks fellers....

Z
Old 12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
babyhuey

That means that if you run 12 cells you can only run 3 servos. On that type of bec the more voltage that you put into it the less amps that it can supply without overheating. This is why a switch mode bec is usually required when you go over 12 volts from the battery.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: babyhuey

That means that if you run 12 cells you can only run 3 servos. On that type of bec the more voltage that you put into it the less amps that it can supply without overheating. This is why a switch mode bec is usually required when you go over 12 volts from the battery.

Well....you just taught me a lesson (LMAO). I run a spektrum 2.4 DX7, and I've had a brownout or two.....it's NOT fun. That's why I'm going to the UBEC on the RX. Thanks for the INFO!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
lohchief

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

Well....you just taught me a lesson (LMAO). I run a spektrum 2.4 DX7, and I've had a brownout or two.....it's NOT fun. That's why I'm going to the UBEC on the RX. Thanks for the INFO!!!
I'm thinking the brownouts you've experienced are from too long a run time on your batts? Even if they aren't,an external bec seems to be highly recommended.I've never had a brownout except from too many beers
-lohchief
Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: lohchief

I'm thinking the brownouts you've experienced are from too long a run time on your batts? Even if they aren't,an external bec seems to be highly recommended.I've never had a brownout except from too many beers
-lohchief
It happens when my CHEAP esc momentarily cuts out from the thermal switch (over heat), and then immediately re-sets. You know the gyro won't re-initialize properly when that happens, and the RX takes a bit to re-connect.....causing the heli to go CRAZY. Yup....I got some problems going on, but I'll get 'er if I gotta replace everything cept the RX (I know the RX is good). I should be back in th saddle just in time for when the fridgid air mass move in on Mon/Tue.[&o]
Old 12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
MCRInc.

Hello, I have an EXI-450 and had to purchase a TX and found a Futaba 6EXHP, the Heli has some cheap servos that came with it which are the TowerPro 9g's and I found a Futaba S3157 Digital servo for the tail. It also has an Align RCE600 Gyro and Align BEC35A speed controller. Well Im relitively new to the RC world of Heli flight, and one day I happened to be looking over the settings on the TX and accidently hit the reset button and now all of the settings on the TX are GONE, ooooooSH***, I seached all through the other channels and nothing, it appears that it is now at factory settings and I have No Idea where to begin on any of the levels. I can get thru the settings on the manual ok, it's just now I have no basic setup settings to start from. Are there any of you guys that may be able to HELP? ? ? ? I Talked to the guy's here in town at the E-Flight extravaganza at Century 2 Expo Hall, Killer Exibit and they had reffered me to this Site for help so here I am.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
lohchief

Vic I've had really good luck with the emax esc's.I've got two 35a and they do run cool.I'm also running ebecs (1.5a/5v).The ebec's aren't heavy enough to handle 4 digitals though.If you have to replace a esc ya might want to consider the emax.
-lohchief
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
lohchief

ORIGINAL: MCRInc.

Hello, I have an EXI-450 and had to purchase a TX and found a Futaba 6EXHP, the Heli has some cheap servos that came with it which are the TowerPro 9g's and I found a Futaba S3157 Digital servo for the tail. It also has an Align RCE600 Gyro and Align BEC35A speed controller. Well Im relitively new to the RC world of Heli flight, and one day I happened to be looking over the settings on the TX and accidently hit the reset button and now all of the settings on the TX are GONE, ooooooSH***, I seached all through the other channels and nothing, it appears that it is now at factory settings and I have No Idea where to begin on any of the levels. I can get thru the settings on the manual ok, it's just now I have no basic setup settings to start from. Are there any of you guys that may be able to HELP? ? ? ? I Talked to the guy's here in town at the E-Flight extravaganza at Century 2 Expo Hall, Killer Exibit and they had reffered me to this Site for help so here I am.

Thanks
I can't help you with the 6exhp,but maybe someone on here runs one.I run the 7ch 2.4ghz and I'm thinking they are different.If no one here can help you,try joining helifreaks and take advantage of all the tech stuff they offer (many includes videos) wayyy cool place.Oh btw,welcome to the exi thread/place/hangout.The exi's are good birds.
-lohchief
Old 12-14-2008, 11:44 PM
sheerider1026

yea. moslty everyone here uses spektrum ( i think). i am not familiar with that radio either.. when you get it figured out right everything down, thats what i did when i started with the spektrum.. i also had no idea.. but now its easy..
Old 12-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Zim-uh-tosa

OK cool thanks baby! I was also trying to figure out how many volts the ESC is supplying to the RX? I thought it was somewhere between 5-6V but it does not specifically say what the voltage is on the internal BEC. Maybe I will install my external BEC. At least that way i can get 5.3 or 5.8v with a set jumper....With how dim the LED is, It looks like it is only receiving 4 volts or so, maybe less....That would make all my other components slowed down and not up toward more of their maximum potential....

Hey MCRinc...Do you just want the numbers for our swash mix, pitch/throttle curves for a good place to start? If that's what you are looking for, I would be happy to post all of my numbers for you off my DX6i...If you want specific instruction on how to run that radio, I can't help....

Z
Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 AM
crashcrash

Comments about spektrum are true....I too run a DX7. LohChief runs a 6EXH I believe. To be honest....I had a DX6, went to the DX7....totally different and it actually took a few days to get it so it would even operate correctly, and took MONTHS to fine tune it. Wish we could help here, but that's how it normally goes with "non standard" systems. Futaba is a GOOD radio system, I've had several on planks (the old days). I personally chose DX7 because it's a common choice for the T-Rex, and the programming is nearly identicle with the EXI-450, and LOTS of people have the DX7. Sorry dude.....[:@]
Old 12-15-2008, 12:48 AM
crashcrash

Vic I've had really good luck with the emax esc's.I've got two 35a and they do run cool.I'm also running ebecs (1.5a/5v).The ebec's aren't heavy enough to handle 4 digitals though.If you have to replace a esc ya might want to consider the emax.
-lohchief

*1 x HobbyWing Pentium Brushless ESC 40A-OPTO (Pentium-40A-OPTO
*1 x 3A 5V/6V Switch-Mode UBEC (UBEC56

LohChief....the above is what I got inbound....paid enough for it, hope they're good.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:34 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

The Hobbywings are nice, very efficient. I bought one with the built in BEC because the 40A series actually has SWITCH becs in them. I can fly 4 packs and it gets only 5-10 degrees over ambient temps.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 AM
babyhuey

I have a Futaba 7chp for my EXI but I haven't began to set it up yet. If you don't have your's straightened out before I get started on mine we can share info. then. Otherwise it's just about getting the manual out and working through the steps.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM
dbatman

Start with settings recommended by Finless Bob @ Helifreak for Trex 450.
I used them to set up my RDS8000 for the first time.
Worked out really well for me.
The throttle and pitch curve settings are pretty much just a matter of plugging in numbers. Fine tune to suite your needs.
The only settings that require a bit of fussing with would be the servo center positions at 1/2 stick. These settings are based on the mechanics of your particular model.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM
lohchief

-lohchief

*1 x HobbyWing Pentium Brushless ESC 40A-OPTO (Pentium-40A-OPTO
*1 x 3A 5V/6V Switch-Mode UBEC (UBEC56

LohChief....the above is what I got inbound....paid enough for it, hope they're good.
Cool Vic,that should do it for ya.Oh yeah,I don't have a 6exh radio system,I have the 7ch fasst.I don't know if it programs the same as a 6exh.Once again I are clueless
-lohchief
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
babyhuey

The basic settings should be the same for most radios, Swash type etc but when you get down to things like servo direction it depends on the brand of servo, installation and other things so you just have to get into the thing and go through the settings one at a time.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:13 PM
crashcrash

OK...I got the stuff in today, it's installed and I've done a few test hovers. Heat prob is gone...that's the good news. For some time, I've been having a tail indexing glitch...annoying but not crucial for me. Well...I installed the 4 E-Sky digitals and the rudder servo being digital ratted out the problem for me. The TELEBEE gyro is causing the glitching, and this is the second telebee I've had that's been BAD in less than 6 months.....I'm done with Telebee. Initial on the E-Sky digitals....they're quick, solid hold, and responsive. I'll follow up as time goes on because I NEVER take things at face value anymore. I need to put these digitals through their paces first. I did install the UBEC also....we'll see how that goes.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 AM
sheerider1026

i got my xmhobbies g401b gyro today.. gonna try using it with a hs55 type servo.. its speed is [email protected].. gonna run it at 6v so i will see how that works... i am also using the alpha 400 motor ( it draws a max of 23a) for longer flight times.. using a align 35a esc, a ebec, and not sure on what cyclic servos yet.. hopefully the gyro/servo setup holds the tail fairly decent. i am using all of this with the spektrum radio.. not gonna 3d this bird, just wanted to build one that is a lot easier on the lipos and has longer flight times... i also left the flybar weights on for more stability ( i removed them on my other 450's) it may be a while until the build is complete but thats ok. kinda fun to build these things and test different electronics.. the reviews on this gyro seem to be good. not bad for 40 bucks to the door anyway.. i was thinking about just forking out the dough and geting the 65mg's for the cyclic.. would be better in the long run.. i do have one of the older esky 8g servos (non digital) that i saved from my hbk2 collection.. maybe it would be better to use on the tail,. thats just something i will have to tinker with.. trying to keep this bird a little lighter also..
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

The TELEBEE gyro is causing the glitching, and this is the second telebee I've had that's been BAD in less than 6 months.....I'm done with Telebee.
Hey,

Did you happen to inspect the wires that exit the Telebee to see if they are fraying? I was having similar problems and found that those wires were all exposed from their sleeves and touching each other. I did a little fixey-poo and it fixed the problem. I still know that I fly better than my Telebee will allow, but it's still working well enough to hold the tail as long as i don't try and get too crazy with the sticks.

Let us know Shee if that XM Gyro is worth it. Maybe I will buy myself another present...

Peace on...well, whatever planet you guys are from!

Z

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.