Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa Model Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:53 PM
mavdriver
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

Well the mig got is maiden 7 min. of fun and uneventful easy and docile to fly [8D] i din`t have the time to wait for the battery to charge ,other wise i would have flown it again , i threw it and got on step right away , crisp rolls , and loops from straight level flight , the landing was easy and slow , what more can a guy ask for , more speed yeah thats it another thing the motor does get pretty hot ,just like swampfox said is best not to fly as long , i would say around six minutes max , will try to fly inverted and the next sortie [>:] Ed
Old 12-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Woody 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swampy,

Stu did say that the MIG 17 would have 2.5 inch wheels, so it will be large. He did not say whether it would be EDF or Turbine powered.

He is a part time producer combining production with his regular day job, so no mass production targets there.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:50 AM
the Swamp Fox
My Feedback: (1)

Congrats MAV!

Yup ,she's real docile and a joy to fly.

Glad you had a good time .

continued good luck!
Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey Fellas,
This little MIG is a blast! The HiMax 2015-4100 is a perfect match! Take off from a hand launch was solid and the MIG got on groove almost immediately! Flew it at 50 to 75% throttle and had very little heat build up. Landing was a piece of cake, very much like a sailplane! Thanks for all your help!

Happy Flying!

Loopman [8D]
Old 12-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Hurricanebill
My Feedback: (10)

Hey guys,
well broke down and bought a mig 15 ,,,,,a kamdax mig 15 [sm=eek.gif].,,,,i couldn't resist tower has them for $100[sm=thumbup.gif]

keep patrolling,,,,
Old 12-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Hurricanebill
My Feedback: (10)

I guess I will start saving again for the Alfa ,,,[:@][:'(]
Old 12-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Woody 51

Swampy,

The Panther kit arrived today. 1st impressions. Excellent.

It is a KIT, no prepainted stuff ah la ALFA.

Not that much work though top complete it. The hardest part is probably going to be painting it!!!

A lot bigger than the ALFA Mig

The inlet ducts are very well made and shaped. Stu has included all the duct and wing mounting hardware etc.

Instructions are very good. A sheet of coloured step by step photo's included in the kit as well.

On that impression, I would say that Stu's F104 will be a good purchase. Just remember that it will take a few hours (20-30 or so) to complete. But I've had some Glow Powered ARF's that have taken that time, plus some.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wanted to pop in that I flew the Mig 15 the other day! and I like it! it landed really slow, even with 3s2p in it! 300watts made it go very close to unlimited vertical.

I felt just like a russian Mig pilot! really amazing!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:44 PM
the Swamp Fox

congrats to all the " Maideners" Hey , I invented another word !

yup ,the little ALFA sure is a sweet flyer .

Henke what combo you using ?
my target is 220-250 watts .

Have a vasa installed and will go with a Hacker b20/12L ..

Stu,
Thanks for the info !
I was aware that they're not arfs by any means. Glad to hear the kit is of high quality . Are there wing locating provisions to insure a nice square wing ? Or is it measure, measure ,measure

Bigger than the Alfa in what regard ?
alfa says 750 mm wing
740 length

Stumicro Panther 725

Are you starting a build thread ?

hint ...hint ...

good luck with her and congrats !!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I borrowed the whole setup I´m not 100% but say 90% sure.

stock fan, mega 16/7/3 3s2p Etec SHP ailerons raised 5mm or so to counter the design flaw.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Woody 51

Swampy.

The STUMAX Panther. Bigger in fuselage length when compared to the Alfa foamies.
Also heavier as its made from composite. (Probably around 300 grams heavier) so motor choice has to be spot on. Best to pay some extra $$$ for a quality unit. Stu recommends a Hacker B2012 with the VASA 55 and 18 or 25 amp ESC with 2 or 3 cell Lipoly's. I will go with that.

Wings are located via stub joiners, (already installed in the wings) but you have to cut out the slots for them. The wings butt up to the pre moulded wingroot. It would pay to have a Great Plane's Laser Incidence Meter handy when building. (I found one on E-BAY recently for minimal cost.)

The horizontal stab is balsa and the slot in the fueslage for it has to be cut , so an I.M. is neccessary there.

You cut out the ailerons, elevator and jet intakes. Also a hatch on the underside for fan, battery and radio installation and access.

It MUST be Catapault launched.

Will keep you up to date with what I find, though probably will not look at it in any depth until 1st 1/4 2005.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:59 PM
the Swamp Fox

Thanks for the info Stu,

Have a vasa installed and will go with a Hacker b20/12L ..

I'll have the Hacker in the mig soon . the Vasa / hacker is a proven combo .
I can't wait. Post more vid when I get it going . I like the Vasa , very smooth , but very close visual inspection is a good idea . The stators ? seem to crack under stress ..oops ...little CA . good to go.

Panther ?

1) So even though you have to make the cuts, the marks are there correct?

good luck .. can't wait to see her ...
Old 12-16-2004, 02:16 AM
stumax

300grams heavier!!!!![X(][X(][X(] You must be using that special lead based paint! Actually some customers have them flying at under 17oz with a lightweight power setup, and some go for the Tim the Toolman power option and end up at 22-23oz. I believe the Alpha Mig comes in at around 16-17oz, correct?

Regarding wing attachment, as the wings are moulded and match the wing root intakes perfectly, there's no need for an incidence meter - it will be correct if you get the parts flush. Also, there is a 3mm groove moulded into the fin for that stab mounting, just cut thru the small bit left and you have a perfect opening to slide the stab thru, again, all lined up and no need for an incidence meter (still a good idea to do some measurements on a flat surface) but you do need to make sure it's square in the front and plan views.

BTW, Dave, glad you like the Panther!

This is probably wasted info, however, as Panther production is suspended (unless you're really desperate!) while I decide whether to make new moulds (the current ones are just about worn out). I think a moulded Depron one would be a better option, and bring it inline with what a jet this size really should cost. I just have to work out how to mould such a complex fuse in Depron. Maybe mould the fuse without the root intakes and mould the root intakes as part of the wing, or just a separate moulding. Dunno if there's really enough market though, as the cnc machined male and female moulds required for moulding Depron aint gonna be cheap! Maybe a Mig21 would be easier.........
Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 AM
Woody 51

I can add no more. Thats straight from the "horses" mouth!

Thanks Stu.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 AM
jetflyrf86
My Feedback: (31)

Guys - if you are looking for a extra fan for your Alpha Mig or Huckbein. Send me a PM
Old 12-16-2004, 11:37 AM
blue action

ROG on maiden?

Finally done building my Mig! Now the question is how to maiden it. I have access to a very nice even field with a nice smooth lawn, so I was thinking maybe try ROG the first time? Get up to speed, climb two or three feet, cut throttle and land it. That should give a good feeling for potential adjustments I have to make before a real flight.

Does this sound like a real stupid idea? Btw does it matter if the ground is a little wet (dew)?

How did you maiden your Mig?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Woody 51

What are your control throws set at?
Most of us have found that the ones ALFA give on ALL of their models are over the top. 5-7 mm is more than sufficient on all surfaces.
We have flown them by just opening the throttle and launching them with nose up about 10 degrees. If the C of G is where ALFA says it should be, the model will just fly away. Have someone launch it for you. If you want to know how, look at the videos clips on the Hobby Lobby website.( A picture is worth a thousand words)
You may have to give it a few clicks of elevator or aileron, but really, non of the Alfa's are animals to fly if you have 4 channel experience. Quite placid really.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 PM
blue action

"... If the C of G is where ALFA says it should be, the model will just fly away."

Sure did! Launched it for the first time today, and it flew just fine. I can confirm that it is a pleasure to fly, very easy from what I can tell so far, and it gliiiiiiides! In fact had to go around on the first approach as I was not expecting this kind of glide.

I agree with the comment about control throws. Especially the +-10mm on elevator seem excessive, just from looking at it. On the other hand it is somewhat reassuring on the first flight to have that just in case you did not get the angle of incidence right wings vs. horizontal stabilizer.

Due to reports of the model 'shooting up' I mounted the horizontal stabilizer at a slightly upwards angle (I'd say about 3 degrees upwards), and it turns out to be just right.

Effective immediately, the San Francisco Bay Area will be subject to daily Mig patrols, until further notice!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Woody 51

Interesting point about the stab incidence.

I had the same thing also happen with my Alfa P47 and FW-190. Both just shot up on launch 1st time out. I have about 4 mm of down trim permanent on their respective elevators. (That's about 3 degrees)

A co-incidence???

My Huck had a tendenacy to climb also, but not so hard , probably becaue 1st time out was with a Speed 300 powering it.

Downtrim added here as well. Conversion to the MPJET 25/25-26 Mk2 Brushless didn't show any problems, but bare in mind it had been trimmed out. It was just quicker and acceleration was better.

But I suppose its better than having the model DIVE quickly on launch!!!!!!!

Maybe a deliberately designed in, inherant trate in Alfa's?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:12 PM
the Swamp Fox

every ALFA I've ever flown on maiden has pitched up ... but no worries trimming later.

lol agreed ,,, way better than *SLAM* !!!

Thanks for the Info Stu but...but...
This is probably wasted info, however, as Panther production is suspended
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on successful flights Blue Action

best of luck all!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Woody 51

Agreed Swampy.

Stu, the Panther is a great one to model. No one else is doing one and if you do one in Depron, it would complement the Alfa Mig 15 nicely.

Imagine having a Sabre, Mig 15 and a Panther all chasing each other around the sky!
Throw in the upgraded Korean War paint job Alfa Mustang and you'd have a nice little bit of war game action.

NB Stu, I think there is a couple of desperates here for a Panther. Swampy and Pilot 44!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:39 PM
blue action

Mig15 for FMS

I found this model for the FMS simulator: http://www.rc-sim.de/dl_engine/comme...a7b3757c5d01e7

and it performs somewhat similar to the real one. It is a little more difficult to fly than in reality- good practice!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:43 PM
watt_the!

guys, i found this little thread here and have to chime in. I have the stumax panther, alfa mig and had the alfa huck.

my huck ROG'd and weighed 600g.

My F9f is going to tip the scales at around 640g. I had the gen1 alfa fan and himax 2025-5300 drawing 13A in the huck.

i have the wemo microfan pulling over 51k rpm with the himax 2025-5300 in it and it fairly blasts.

The f9f is a nice kit, but alot of tricky fitting is required. It is an engineered model, but i would never say easier build than the alfa models...not even close. I spent a day fitting the wings alone!

and the aileron fittings are tricky to say the least. Not bad design, just tricky.

as the himax prop adaptor is an absolute, perfect fit to the alfa fan, i plan to use that again on the gen 2 fan in the mig15, but as there's room around the himax body, might fit the heatsink, shaved down to sit centrally in the nacelle, and remove the tail cone, plus dremel some small slits at the front for added cooling.

It gets hot, but i havent got a motor that doesnt, and i havent had a single himax failure yet in any model ive owned...even after flying without cooling for 10 minutes at a time in the huck with no cool down periods...

i plan to ROG the stumax panther also, im pretty sure it will, as if the huck did it, then i reckon the f9f will with the microfan..even though it is smaller diameter, it is more efficient than the gen1 alfa fan. You can just feel it pulling on the workbench. It draws 22A at approx 51k+ and 3s lipo Tanic 2220mah pack...So about 240W input. Compared to the huckebein's 13A at 11V, for about 130W input. Big difference.

The theory says that thrust increased to the square of rpm and power cubed. ignoring efficiency changes.

So if i've got 84% more power input, then i'd be expecting 50% more thrust (1.84^.66666)... and since it weighs only a few grams more than the huck, it should ROG as long as it tracks stratight, which apparently it wont...still, hand launch should do it, right?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:53 PM
blue action

what, hand-launching the MiG is a breeze. It does not need much speed to fly. Just make sure you can get quickly to the elevator control as many people have reported the model to 'shoot up'.

As for RoG- mine actually won't do it; I guess the Californian grass ist too sticky. The other day, I went out early and the ground was covered with frost=very low friction! ROF works great, if you have the opportunity.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:03 PM
mavdriver
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blue action

what, hand-launching the MiG is a breeze. It does not need much speed to fly. Just make sure you can get quickly to the elevator control as many people have reported the model to 'shoot up'.

As for RoG- mine actually won't do it; I guess the Californian grass ist too sticky. The other day, I went out early and the ground was covered with frost=very low friction! ROF works great, if you have the opportunity.
HEY BLUE ACTION IN REPLY TO ROG , I PUT LANDING GEAR ON MINE WHITH STEERABLE NOSE GEAR ,TALKING ABOUT AWSOME , IT ROG WHITH OUT ANY EFFORT ,APROX 5 MINUTES IN THE AIR AND THEN LANDED AND TAXI BACK [8D], BEING A SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BOY THERES REALLY NOT TO MANY NICE GRASSY AREAS MOSTLY DRY , HAVING A NICE TARMACK AT MY LOCAL CLUB FIELD HELPS . ED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.