Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa Model Mig 15

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Hurricanebill
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alfa Model Mig 15

HI, newbie here
I was wondering if any one has any info on the kamdax mig 15 ? I'm going to buy a mig 15 but can't decide what manufacture to buy from? I think I would be safe buying the alfa mig, seems reliable. and from reading everyones post i think i will stay away from the wattage version. but the kamdax mig looks cool also, and they make a glo power version. but i think i will stick with EDF. The main difference I noticed is that the kamdax has a one piece wing and two piece fuse, but the alfa has two pc wing and one pc fuse. any thoughts or comments to steer me in the right direction would be a great help. and could someone please explain to me what's involved with elivons? is this a mix? of alerion and elevator ? if so how are the mixed? is it the radio that makes it possible? or some sort of mixing controller hooked to the servo & receiver? any info ont this would be awsome also. [8D]
Thanks
Bill
[quote]May your li-poly stay fresh and your landings soft,,,,,,[/font][/font]
Old 12-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Hurricanebill

Great vid swap fox ,
keep potrolling the sky,,,
here is a pic of my not yet finished AT6- texan from top flight
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10386.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	200324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48532.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	200325  
Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 AM
mavdriver
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill i have both kits and they both use ail. and elevators , no elevons involve ,the kandax is nice but imho the alpha is a much nicer kit . Ed
Old 12-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Hurricanebill

Thanks for the info Ed,
I will go with the alfa Mig
do you think it's wise to go with a servo for each aileron ? as per Andy steer's version [link=http://astro.umsystem.edu/Andy/RC/mig15/index.htm]andy steers alfa mig 15 [/link]

how did you set your alfa Mig up ?does Alfa's Mig manual recomend useing two aileron servos like Andy's? have you had any wing failures with your alfa Mig? Andy seems to have a good idea with his cf inserts cf (carbon fiber) is light and strong and I think I will go with this when I start mine.
Thanks for all the help.
Hurricane BILL
Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 PM
mavdriver
My Feedback: (14)

I`m doing mine just like Andy , two servos for the ailerons mig is not done yet so i can`t tell you about wing failure , but i don`t think is going to happen if you follow Andys directions , i would say hopefully by this weekend it should be ready to fly ,will keep you posted for those who are intrigue Ed
Old 12-08-2004, 03:24 AM
the Swamp Fox
My Feedback: (1)

Dual aileron servos unecessary .

the wing failures have been mainly a result of a bad glue joint at the root. Or fuselage tearing away from wing...spar still attached

Mine is built pretty much stock . I glassed the entire top of the duct; double layer where the spar crosses.

sanded root allowed 30 min epoxy to seep into fuse from root and layed up .75 oz glass inside.

then from INSIDE drilled pilot holes into hollow wing area and shot pro bond inside.

approaching 80 flights . No worries .

best of luck all.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:17 AM
Hurricanebill

Cool, Thanks for all the great info.
Bill
Old 12-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Woody 51

Andy also used a very "hot" (in performance) motor in his.
If you intend to follow his path, then the extra attention to the wing join is advised.
If your going the MPJET25/25-26 Mk 2 motor route, then carbon spars etc are NOT neccesary.
Just a little extra attention to detail and care as Swampy suggested.
My Alfa TA183 Huck (with the same Alfa EDF and MPJET 25/25-26 Mk 2 as Alfa specify for the MIG) is built exactly as per the plan and goes real well. For glue I used 30 minute Epoxy. For servo attachment, I used RTV Silicon.
Just make sure that ALL the paint on the fuselage where the wing butts up against the sides has been sanded off before glueing. Those who had wing detachment failures, neglected to do this because Alfa did not make mention of it in the instructions that came out with the 1st batch.
The extra weight of a little extra glue isn't going to affect the models performance.
If your worried about weight, then just ensure that you chose a lightweight Rx, something in the 10-14 gram field.
As a tip, the ubiquitous Hitec 555 Rx weighs in around the 23 gram mark. (Heavy)
There are other smaller, lighter Rx's around on the market, that are just as good as the Hitec.

Swampy, I talked to Stu Maxwell re the VASA mini fan (for my Stumax Panther) and he advised that it is designed to work in the lower rpm range
He recommeded 2 cells (lower amp draw) with a Hacker B2012.
He is sending the model to me Friday. Will let you know what I find in the "box'o bits."
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Hurricanebill

Thanks for the info Woody,
I think Im eather going with andy's set up, or a hi max 2015-4100 brushless with a castle phoenix 10 esc and a thunder power gen II 3 cell 11.1V 1320mah Lithium-Polymer , Woody any advise on this would be a huge help as I am new to EDF and I am way out of date on all this new technolagy. will the above hi max set up work? I was only going to copy andy's version because I don't know myself what components work well together. ect,, motor&esc&batt combo's. And trust me I will take extra care in sanding & joining the wings to the fuse.
do you think one aileron servo is good enough with the above mentioned hi max set up?
wheight never concerns me much. the vids i have seen on the alfa mig 15 are sweet, and it seems to be reasonably fast.
im planing on useing a new 2.4mhz ultra light 110 deg. wide-angle wirless cam. I have purchased the cheap spy cams on ebay I do not recomend any of these as the suck. they work vary porly 15 feet line of site if that. look for the ones that are 2.4 mhz like a home cordless phone is. I recomend Black Widow AV [link=http://www.blackwidowav.com/index.html]black widow av[/link]
This is a very small transmitter considering the power level, and it is PLL controlled. The transmitter has four channels which are set via two dip switches on the face of the unit. The built in microphone automatically adjusts it's volume based on the ambient noise. Best of all, the unit operates at a core voltage of 5v, making it incredibly easy to integrate and at only 12 grams in wheight even park flyers can use it without sacraficing lost thrust.
[img][/img]
and these cams actually work !!!!!
even better check out this new product
[link=http://www.eyetop.net/home/index.php]eyetop sunglass monitors[/link]
here is the coolest monitor ever. Resembling a pair of sunglasses with a 16-bit color LCD screen embedded in one lens, Eyetop Classic delivers the images the camera sees directly to the wearer’s eye – no matter where the camera is located.Eyetop is a full-size monitor embedded in specific eyewear
providing the user with a 16-bit color screen.
Instantly compatible with devices featuring a composite video
output, Eyetop displays any wired or radio frequency video
signal that keeps the user in touch with his surroundings and
the model.
Thanks everyone ,,,
Hurricane Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42483.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	200689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56749.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	200690  
Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 PM
the Swamp Fox

hi max 2015-4100 brushless with a castle phoenix 10 esc and a thunder power gen II 3 cell 11.1V 1320mah Lithium-Polymer
That should be ok. I would go with a p 25 perhaps for future upgrades
It won't be a rocket but will be very light and nimble, breeze to launch and land
the mpj is a 4200kv motor . I got 13a 130 watt static with a TAnic 3s1500 10-12c

What is Steere's setup ? that site is down ...

Woody,

Ya VASA 55 was designed around a 280 so it draws more with lower input,lower kv motors . I'm lucky to have enough battery to feed it . Someone dopplered (hey I invented a word !!)
my vasa mig @ 110 km/h accurate? I don't know. Again I dropped this in as it was all that was available...as it turns out it is a boost.Will go back to alfa fan as the vasa will go in my FSK F-16
The ALFA unit is less aggressive and will take higher KV motors. The ideal is a LIGHT ,high kv motor that can take around 20a for a FAST plane. like the recommended mm miniac 1215/12 4700kv 53g on 3s 1500 /2100 would make a nice, power plant .

for a screamer himaxx 2015/5400 1550's
or a rocket 2025/5300 tp 2100's

or...try some of those exotic german motors

whatever ya go with the MiG flies great ..there is no "best"

CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR PANTHER!!!!!

wemo microfan or ... + ????

I'd still use 3s as there are some LIGHT packs out there....

g'luck all!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Pilot44
My Feedback: (20)

Who's got a Panther in the works... .???[:-]..... Need to do one of them......

going to put the 2015/5400 in my mig. Have an extra fan unit.......should be a bit more ooooommpphh..

Jim G
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

I have an Alfa Mig 15 and fly it on the MPJ 25 etc with 3 cell 1500 Mah Lipos. I was interested to hear about the screaming noise and noticed also that if I removed the fan front cone it was much quieter. Odd this is though I put it back cos I like the noise it makes when it flys. I had a problem today though as the mpj motor cannot be fixed in its housing with screws it turned and twisted the wires and pulled off the connection. I have now glued the motor in place with a little epoxy. Was also interested in the overheating problems. I havn't had this yet but next time I open her up I will drill the cone etc.

All in all I have to say of my 16 electric models I think this is my favorite. It is so stable and has huge power. I do however think it is the screaming sound I like and I notice this in most of the vids so I dont think it is that much of a problem.

Bigplumbs

PS I have decided to buy their Huk and give that a try hell it is only money

Happy flying
Old 12-08-2004, 06:12 PM
the Swamp Fox

going to put the 2015/5400 in my mig. Have an extra fan unit.......should be a bit more ooooommpphh..
yuppers
Old 12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Okay Fellers,
I am just about ready to finish this bird! I'm only waiting for the adapter plate from HiMax. I do have some questions though.

A. What about the recommended control surface throws? Are they meant to be high rate or low rate? Are they right?

B. Do you launch at 100% throttle or less?

C. Is the CG correct as indicated by the marks on the fuse?

D. I'll be using a HiMax 2015-4100 with a Castle Creations Phoenix10 controller. The recommended battery is a TP1320 3 cell, I have this battery but it seems heavy. As a possible alternative I have a GWS 1050 3 cell and a Kokam 1500 2 cell. What would be the gain or loss from using each one?

Thanks!

Loopman [sm=idea.gif]
Old 12-09-2004, 12:45 AM
the Swamp Fox

Hey Loopman..

Very calm conditions up the coast from ya.MiG patrols resumed this eve

a) That depends on how sensitive you like your plane . my throws are roughly

ailerons low 7 mm -50 expo high 12mm -30 expo (futaba indicates expo as -)
elevator low 5 mm -50 high 8mm -35
high dual rate 100 %
low 75 %
that's just how I like it. For " jet like " performance keep the throws down . You don't have the instant throttle response as with prop planes. So think ahead as you fly ,always trying to find the cleanest lines to get air into that duct . In other words ,You can't just yank back , gun it and get out of trouble.

b) Full throttle. EDF models take a bit longer to "get on step" ,so go for a smooth climbout as speed builds. This is the easiest plane to handlaunch I've ever flown.

c) yes ,but I like to be a little nose heavy ... just a preference.

d) Stick with the tp1320 3s . with the 2015 ... you've got a VERY light combo for this plane.
If you were easy on the mods & glue , I'd wager you're under max spec weight .

best of luck
Old 12-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Loopman

Hey Swamp Thing,
Thanks for the low down on the setup! How did you measure the amount of control throws, with a ruler? Do you launch with high or low rates? I'll stick with the 1320.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 12-09-2004, 01:53 PM
the Swamp Fox

ya , just a ruler... I launch with either ...pretty used to this one by now ...it's been in service for 7 months . Start with lows... please note my values are my preference ...you may prefer a a totally different "feel" .

good luck
Old 12-10-2004, 06:18 AM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

I agree with SwampFox and Woody... if you stick to the recommended power systems (or similar)... you don't need to make the mods to the wing that I did. I also recommend just one aileron servo if you can. I didn't want to, but I had to install a second servo to overcome the binding of the pushrods... something most others haven't had to do.

I'm thinking of getting a second Mig, one of the newer versions. (Actually, I procrastinating hoping that Alfa will come out with an F-86.... PLEASE!!!). I have a new Razor RZ-300 that weighs 27grams and should draw ~15amps WOT from a light-weight TP1320 (91g) or Tanic 1550 3S (115g). I'd save at least 3 ounces off the weight of the Park370/5400 (48g) and the Tanic 2150 3S pack (157g). If I build it light (one aileron servo, no CF tubes, etc.)... it may be just as fast as my current setup.

Weight seems way more important to the straight and level speed of an EDF than a regular prop plane. If you don't believe me, as an experiment add 3oz of lead to your Mig (or other small EDF) without changing the power-system... and see how much slower it is, except maybe in a dive! Putting the same 3oz in my Corsair, and at WOT it barely noticed. Plus, the more the Mig weighs the more stress put on the airframe during high-G maneuvers.

Anyway, thanks for all the nice feedback about my website... but please don't take it as the final word on how to build an Alfa Mig.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Woody 51

Pilot 44 . See http://www.stumaxaircraft.com/

for the Panther.

Stu custom makes the models to order. He has exported a few to the USA already.

There are video links on the site and his new F104 looks terrific.

Hurricane. The HIMAX will work o.k. but you will have a lot of heat build up. They do put out a lot of heat.

Get onto Andy's website and have a look at his cooling mods to the fan housing. (Andy, great site mate with some excellent suggestions. Thanks a million from all of us)

I also Dremeled out grooves to line up with the holes, to allow air to pass down the inside of the fan housing, between it and the motor casing. (MPJET 25/25-26 Mk 2)

"WhatThe" had an Alfa Huck with the Himax you propose and it flew great. But the heat build up was such that he only got about 5 minutes at a time. If you check back through this forum you will find the Huck Thread and see his reports in there.

Unfortunately his Cat killed the model. (I don't know whether the cat still lives!!)
Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
the Swamp Fox

I'm not quite sure why you'd run a tanic 2150 on a park 370 /5400... I'm suprised it's still alive if specs are accurate.

around 9a max ?

looked at one of those for the vasa ..no way .

1st setup the stock mpj / alfa fan is 130watts @ 12A static on much lighter tanic 1500 .

my current vasa / park 400 4200 is around 18-19a 190 watts on tp2100 . 400 rated for 18a bursts and even with short runs (5-7 min ) it's quite hot . Plane is built stock and is heavier with new combo...no worries . eek~

I have a new Razor RZ-300 that weighs 27grams and should draw ~15amps WOT from a light-weight TP1320 (91g) or Tanic 1550 3S (115g)
there we go !

I have a replacment Alfa fan coming ...hmmm what to do what to do...
goal is around 220-250 watts and light as possible . Then we'll try to pull her apart

Vasa will migrate to FSK F-16

g'luck all!
Old 12-10-2004, 09:16 PM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

I needed the 2150 pack for balance... and to better handle the amp draw of the motor. Mainly, I couldn't get the thing to balance with the 1550 packs. The park motors weigh more than your MPJet, plus the two aileron servos and part of the CF spar are behind the CG.

I never said I recommended the 5400kv motor. I don't! It draws too much current for good life expectancy (~20amps static at full throttle on a fresh pack, though quite a bit less in flight). You shouldn't fly it full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time... but during those few seconds... hang on! Turns the Alfa fan just above 50,000rpm. My 5400kv has well over fifty flights on three different airframes... all of them with 3s packs and drawing at least 15amps at full throttle. I do use throttle management (that left stick is not an on/off switch!). It's currently doing service in an EF Yak55SP-E.... and still going strong. Even if it burns up tomorrow I don't care.... it has paid for itself many times over in enjoyment.

Looking forward to trying the Razor. COME ON ALFA, GIVE US AN F-86! How can you have a Mig-15 without a F-86 Sabre to do battle with?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
the Swamp Fox

Hi Andy...

I happen to be using the park 400 / vasa 55 in the miG which is heavier.

does balance with 1550 ...but I hear ya tp 2100 is easier . Good to know the e-flite #'s seem a bit conservative and has served ya well.Mine's fine so far . Eyeballing a hacker b20 12 for the vasa ... my combo came from whatever I could find in a local shop so just a temp deal ...

COME ON ALFA, GIVE US AN F-86! How can you have a Mig-15 without a F-86 Sabre to do battle with?
be nice .... but Sabre ducts are quite a bit different + the low wing. This would be a departure from the 2 Alfa edfs Big open nose,simple ducts, mid-wing , high tail . Woody said something about a me262. That would be a dream for me !
We shall see

good luck all
Old 12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Loopman

Hey Swampy,
Okay I've got it all together but I've never balanced a plane with Anhedral! Do I balance her upside down? I tried both ways and it seems difficult to get a good balance point in the upright position. Upside down I get a slight nose down attitude.

Thanks!

Loopman
Old 12-11-2004, 03:07 AM
Woody 51

Guys , one thing to keep in mind is HEAT. The ALFA fan motor housings are only plastic and are rated to about 250 degrees max. Exceed that and it will start to melt!!! (A warning from Anton at Alfa. He has had complaints already) He also stated that heat will also destroy the MPJET 25/25-26 Mk 2 motor fairly quickly.

Remember high KV motors will give out huge amounts of heat as well as drawing heaps of current. So flight times have to be limited.

With the MPJET 25/25-26 Mk 2, about 5 minutes max in an unmodified fan set up. Anton suggests an 1100Ma/H 3 cell pack as that will give about 5 minutes flying.

Just a hint to keep in mind when deciding whether to put extra grunty motors in your Mig or Huck.

Zdenek spoke to Anton on Wednesday. Besides his warnings about the melting problem, he advised that he had no plans for anything new this side of the New Year.

Anton is still keeping "mum" about the next project, though in a discussion I had with him about last June he did say that a Sabre was a certain, though which actual model had not been decided upon.

It was Zdenek who got the hint about a 262, though it was still a "number crunching" exercise 4 weeks or so ago. So don't hold your breaths for a while. ALFA are snowed under trying to keep up with the demand on MIG 15's.

Swampy, Stu at Stumax is also looking at an EDF twin after he finishes his larger scale Mig 17 with retracts . He did mention something like a Gloster Meteor. I threw in an Arado 234 as a thought. He did agree that it would be an achievable model with 2 mini EDF's.

I guess we will all probably have to wait until mid 2005 at least.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:26 AM
the Swamp Fox

loopman,

I just stick my fingers in the balance points and shoot for a tad nose heavy ... works for me

Woody,

tx for the info ...my mkII and original fan were able to survive the hot/ humid summer here.
5-7 min flights as recommended. bear in mind alot of the motors upgrades I would consider are smaller in diameter than the motor housing ;allowing some heat to escape Whereas the mpj is pretty snug in there..
but I think stick with the VASA fan for hop-ups . it's doing quite well in the MiG and runs smooth and relatively quiet .

Meteor ,Sabre, Arado all fine by me !

he finishes his larger scale Mig 17 with retracts
is that one going into production too ? If so I'll be broke soon

g'luck all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.