Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars >

Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes A-10 Warthog for 95 dollars

The park zone plane is a much better plane.

I only do military planes now. So I understand your selections. Corsairs have good wing areas to their weights.

There is a VERY sharp battery person on Watt Flyer, RC Groups and RC Universe forums. His name is..... everydayflyer..... Send him a PM About using LIFEPO4 type of batteries & their advantages over regular LIPO batteries. Also ask him about the FMA Cell Pro chargers, 4 & 10 cell units.

The LIFEPO4 cells are the best thing since Peanut Butter & sex. Can NOT cause fires if mistreated.
Get the real knowledge about batteries that are great for a sport flyer.

Rich
Old 11-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I might have to do that. Like I said I'm working on canceling all my orders and I think I may even try and return the stuff that has already shipped. I should take a step back and do a little more research. After the post earlier I was checking out the Super Cub from Hobby Zone and it's pretty nice also, cheaper too.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Zero from ParkZone is also good plane, but I don't know it in person. I can suspect from all the information I can read. I uses the same power option as Trojan T-28. The beauty of this deal is, that it has quite good radio compatible with DSM2 and reliable BL power. So if you crash the plane beyond repair you can reuse this equipment on other ARFs.

PakZone was the first who let out RTF planes that actually fly out of the box. I mean they really fly like RC planes, not one-time use disposable toys. And they are equipped with AMA-compatible radio equipment, not 27Mhz 300ft range joke.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 AM

I'm looking to buy some lipo batteries for my Guanli A-10 If I went with the 3c 1500mah 20c battery, how do I know if it will fit the stock connector in the plane? Do they sell like adapters or something. I'm a glow baby so this electric talk is all jibberish to me. All I care about is getting a little extra power and a little longer flight times out of the stock plane. I'm not interested in brushless doo-dads etc. If I wanted that I would have bought the brushless A-10 from Banana Hobby. At any rate, I've been reading this forum and have come to the conclusion that the battery I mentioned above is the best for the stock crap in this plane. (at least some of you have come to that conclusion) If it wears the motors out, so be it. The plane will look great hanging up in my den. =) SO if anyone could answer my simple question, I would be much appreciative.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Arnoldj1979
how do I know if it will fit the stock connector in the plane? Do they sell like adapters or something. I'm a glow baby so this electric talk is all jibberish to me.

Being a "glow baby" is not excuse - you still need to know how to connect battery I'm afraid that you will not find any connector or adapter that will fit stock connector. Guanli is using a connector that is common for RC toys (like 10 dollars RC cars) so my best advise is to get T-connector set (Deans) that is quite common and put it in place of stock Guanli's connector on ESC.

Good luck with flying brushed version - you will need that a lot.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM

Wow, so I would need to solder the Deans plug on the ESC then, replacing the stock wires? What do you guys think of this setup by Blitz RC. http://www.bananahobby.com/1745.html
For $50 more dollars you can get this plane brushless. Look at this guys video, this plane looks like it flies awesome stock. It looks like the guys at Banana Hobby take alot of these brushed planes and revamp them.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Arnoldj1979

I'm a glow baby so this electric talk is all jibberish to me. All I care about is getting a little extra power and a little longer flight times out of the stock plane. I'm not interested in brushless doo-dads etc.
Many of us, including I, have tried to fly this plane on the stock motors with LiPO batteries and it DOES NOT WORK. The plane will barely fly at the edge of a stall. If your piloting skills are not top notch it will crash. Brushless motors are not doo-dads for this plane. They are a necessity. It's like trying to fly a .40 size plane on an .049 engine.

The brushless conversion as described by RysiuM works well. The Banana Hobby brushless setup looks like it should work but I would suggest you talk to someone (not associated with the seller) who has actually tried it.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't take for granted what Banana is saying, as they have already prized brushed version and they claimed, it flies great what was not exactly true. Maybe someone not related to distributors or manufacturers can say what is the true fact about this plane.

What I can only say, is that there were more issues with brushed Guanli A-10, than just motors and battery. Stock fans are not balanced and they vibrate a lot (verified by many people). I had to replace them with GWS fans and this solved the vibration problem. And 27MHz radio (the one I got with my plane) is useless for RC flying at least in US as there is to much congestion on that band. This is "toy band" and it is not wise (I would say it is dangerous) to fly RC planes on that band.

About replacing the plug you simple cut off the plug from the end of wires going to ESC (live wires as they are) and solder Deans plug to these wires instead. Many LiPo battery packs are already equipped with Deans T-connector. If not, you need to solder it there.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RysiuM

I wouldn't take for granted what Banana is saying, as they have already prized brushed version and they claimed, it flies great what was not exactly true. Maybe someone not related to distributors or manufacturers can say what is the true fact about this plane.

What I can only say, is that there were more issues with brushed Guanli A-10, than just motors and battery. Stock fans are not balanced and they vibrate a lot (verified by many people). I had to replace them with GWS fans and this solved the vibration problem. And 27MHz radio (the one I got with my plane) is useless for RC flying at least in US as there is to much congestion on that band. This is "toy band" and it is not wise (I would say it is dangerous) to fly RC planes on that band.

About replacing the plug you simple cut off the plug from the end of wires going to ESC (live wires as they are) and solder Deans plug to these wires instead. Many LiPo battery packs are already equipped with Deans T-connector. If not, you need to solder it there.
Hey RysiuM....I had to track you down...I have not seen any postings of yours in the engine forums lately! Take Care Capt,n
Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn
Hey RysiuM....I had to track you down...I have not seen any postings of yours in the engine forums lately! Take Care Capt,n
You haven't probably see any of my posts lately. To much work. Hopefully soon will be better. Be good Capt'n.

I didn't even have a chance to fly A-10 with my new LiPo. I tested it on bench but haven't flown any plane (I mean models, not full scale) in months.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought this Guanli A-10 from Nitroplanes during thier Black Friday sale for $67. I thought I got a great deal. After reading this thread, it sounds like I got a wall hanger.

Do you guys honestly believe Banana Hobby is outright lying and flew a modified Guanli A-10 and called it box stock?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I bought this Guanli A-10 from Nitroplanes during thier Black Friday sale for $67. I thought I got a great deal. After reading this thread, it sounds like I got a wall hanger.

Do you guys honestly believe Banana Hobby is outright lying and flew a modified Guanli A-10 and called it box stock?
Probably not lying, but not exactly honest either

All I can say is that I tried flying it stock but with an 11.1V LiPO instead of the NiMH pack and I suppose it could have done what is in the Banana Hobby video, but I felt that continued flight beyond one trip around the pattern was not prudent. It would barely climb, was on the edge of stalling the whole time, and I was certainly not going to try to roll it. Given how it flew on 11.1 volts I decided not to even try it on the heavier 9.6v battery since performance would have been even worse.

Note that the plane in the video did not get very high or loop. The takeoff roll was long, it seemed to lose some altitude in the couple of quick rolls, and only flew for 2-1/2 minutes. It's also possible that the planes vary from one to another, i.e. slightly stronger motors, better balanced fans, etc. so that a good pilot with the right plane might be able to do what it does in the video with the stock setup. Even if that is the case with your plane, that kind of flying is not a lot of fun and will likely result in a crash unless piloting technique is excellent.

I would highly recommend you spend another $90 or so and do the brushless upgrade as described on this list. It's not that difficult and at under $200 total cost (well under with your $67 purchase) the upgraded version is a pretty nice plane.

Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 PM

You got quite good deal as this is the price of the styro-plane (slope glider) alone. After reading this thread you should know now how to convert this "slope glider" into self-powered jet. Good luck with conversion.

Someone should start a thread about how to convert this useless 27MHz radio into FMS controller (using ppjoy). This Guanli radio produces standard PPM so taking out the signal for PPJOY shouldn't be a difficult task. At least this would recover some money we paid for this AARF (Almost ARF ).
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM

How many people have built a 4 engined Yellow Bee ? \
I had enough parts from another flyer to glue good wing sections together. It really went at 45 degrees up ......UNTIL he tried to turn. Hot vector thust planes are a hand full with a newbee. I missed the antics of his. But he loved the climb.

Rich
Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 AM

The radio that came in my kit is on 72Mhz. For fun today I attached a 6-cell 4200 NiMh pack to each motor. They sounded okay, not super powerful and not a lot of airblast. Then I connected a 3S 2100mAh lipo and they perked up quite significantly. I find it hard to believe the thrust they were blowing would not fly this plane, considering there are two of them and they sounded like they were screaming to high heaven! But then, this is my first EDF so I am basically clueless. [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 AM

They sound loud (do they run with noticeable vibration resonating by the styro frame?) and make blast but try to measure the static thrust. In my case it was about 5oz, way to low to fly comfortable 20oz plane. Give it a try but:

1. Don't hand launch it - used paved runway (long one. at least 400ft)
2. Be prepare to fly in a ground effect for a long time and have plenty of space for wide shallow turns.
3. Don't cry, when it goes down. It's just a piece of foam
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM

Just as a "" cost of really flying ducted fans ""

My GWS A-10 has 2 ..12mm Hyperions in 40mm fans. It goes straight up from my hand slowly at 3/4 throttle.

Lots of modifications. & about $75.
The motor is GLUED to 2 of those Aluminum brackets. Yes, I can do very nice metal work in close spaces. The plane has 4 VPX cells in it. At 18 ounces it accelerates.
I did Electrical Design all my life. I STILL HAD to get loads of help for these EDF's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65097.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1086123  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Hey guys. I got my A-10 completed to the point I was able to run it around on the ground. I first used the wall wart charger that came in the kit and after a couple hours of charging the 10.8V 650mAh NiMh battery it was almost too hot too handle. Typical wall wart but I wanted to try it. So anyway I placed the battery in the plane and took it outside and ran the motors up. There was some frequency vibrations at different throttle settings, and in particular at full throttle and low throttle. Mid range was rather pleasant. However, the battery only lasted about 4 or 5 minutes and then I could smell something hot and so I unplugged it and pulled it out of the plane and temped it at 228°F! Ouch!

So I have converted the plugs on the esc to Powerpoles and I have a 1450mAh 3S 23C lipo that fits up front real nice and that is what I will attempt to fly this plane on.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 AM

Here's a test of the motors on the 3S:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Guanl...ngine-Test-wmv

You can hear the frequency vibrations at different throttle levels.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:00 AM

What you hear through the entire throttle range is very unbalanced rotors. Same old story - I've been there Look at this video [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyy8Sgx3bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APyy8Sgx3bc[/link] and listen carefully for the sound of engines. regardless of the speed they sound "clean". Original rotors with BL motors sounded like in your plane - just a bit faster. But the sound was very rough. I believe that flying with unbalanced rotors is not safe.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM

Warning .

Do not run any EDF if it makes any change in tones. Why ?
Because it can be the rotor fins RUBBING against the stator..part that does not move.. This WILL chew a little bit off of them and give you 2 different balance problems.
A 3 problem can rarely be.... a badly molded rotor. This is realized when you keep putting bits of tape on the light side & it still sounds ALMOST as bad.
Take the tape off & send the complete EDF back to the seller.

Rich
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Kind of hard to hear the motors due to the music playing but I get the idea. I will pull my rotors off and see if I can balance them.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Alright, I guess the rotors are not coming off. I tried, but they wouldn't budge and I could hear the styrofoam stressing and I did not want to break anything so I am leaving them be. I did discover however, that each rotor has a single screw in it and each was loose. I mean, not even finger tight. So at least I got them tightened.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM

The screws are more for show, as rotor is quite tight on the adapter. You need to make a "tool" described in earlier posts to remove rotors without destroying foam and motor mounts.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:06 PM

Post # 73. Got it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.