Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

CDI gr8flyer55

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 PM
gr8flyer55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CDI gr8flyer55

Hi Nyemi.
I tried the link to the site but keep getting a blank page.
Is anyone else able to view that site?
I'd like to see that transformer.

Nevermind... I got the zipfile. I didn't wait long enough for it to appear.
John

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 PM
dinoslmn
My Feedback: (1)

Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Gompy

To make toroids for bigger engines

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110703459893...ht_1818wt_1398
Old 11-20-2011, 01:31 PM
jpanhalt

Location = Jacksonville, Florida....Must be surplus from the space shuttle.

John
Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 AM
gr8flyer55

Just tested a new version of timer software for my timer.
I believe it solves the rpm limitation issues, now functioning past 20k rpms.
Gives easy hand starts, good transition from idle to top end.
If anyone built the timer, (I doubt it) I have the upgrade available to the 12f683 chip.

John
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Gompy

Only information
http://www.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pag...kst_engels.htm
Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
gr8flyer55

Hi Nyemi.
Do you have a pcb file for your ignition with parts layout made up yet?
Would like to try building one of your design ignition boards.

Thanks.
John
Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 AM
rahi2k4

Hi Dear all Automotives Engineers there
I m new on your forum but reading your thread from 6 months regulerly .I m from India and also a manufacturer for all type of cdi(ac/dc), Tci,Ignitors, Ignition coils and stator/ magneto coils with pick-up coils in India .Very gr8 persons there with a gr8 knowledge of Ignition timing and advance curve for firing .Here in India only the pickup coils used in the pulser mode some where its high to lo and vice versa.My tci is programmed with pic 16f676, and cdi(dc) with 12f675,683 with 555 timer ic amplified with IRF630 N and fired with BT151/BT136 thy/scr,for 2 wheelers/3wheelers and 4wheelers .Nice to meet all person there.I m R & D electronic Eng. at Medical/Automotives .Soon I will send some jpg and circuit diagram on your forum with asm / hex files.
SEE U SOON ON THIS NEW THREADS 
THANX 
Rahul Bisht
India
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 AM
gr8flyer55

Welcome Rahul.
I am glad to see interest in this forum. I welcome any ideas and software you are willing to share on programming the Pic chips for ignitions. What would be great is to have a Windows program that allows us to make an ignition curve easily without using an Excel spreadsheet file. I believe using a type of bootloader file would accomplish this.

Feel free to share your designs and ideas here. We are in the process of uploading a revised schematic for my design combination ignition and timing board. It will have other information also such as a parts list, links on where to buy them, the hex and ASM files along with PDF files with board etch patterns and parts placement. Some of it will include doc files on how to wind the toroid, interconnection diagrams and pictorials of construction in various stages of completion. We have multiple people from a few countries involved in this project, so it isn't a one person responsibility project. Getting all the info together in one place for download is a large task for us.

Looking forward to seeing all of your ideas and working designs on the forum.

John
Old 12-12-2011, 12:57 AM
bluejets

John,
Apparently there are some bootloader programs available out there in the net for free but they will not suit the 12F683 as it will not support bootloader.
Will suit other Microchip chips though.16 pin

As far as I can find out, the bootloader will allow you to add data to an existing program without affecting the main program and without a programmer

http://www.microchipc.com/PIC16bootload/

http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=424874

Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM
gr8flyer55

Jeff, the bootloader needed is for the 16f628a chip. I saw one for that chip but it is a problem because rewriting the source code is required for it to work. At the present time, we have no source code for the timer board withe the 16f628a. My neighbor wants to try rewriting the original code for Gompy's latest timer board to use the bootloader. Working on that fix is taking more time than expected.
I can't write the code or I would try it.
I knew the 12f683 chip had limitations, but am willing to accept that since I now have the properly working hex file with a good curve. More projects are in the works though.

John
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
bluejets

John,
Found this quote somewhere.......seems consistent when you look for 16f628a bootloader.

Bootloaders don't do serial port programming in the traditional sense. The
whole point of a bootloader is that the chip can program itself, and the
bootloader then can choose the appropriate interface for getting data into
the chip to be programmed. So you don't need to know the traditional
Micorchip serial programming algorithm, but the algorithm for self
programming the chip, which I remind you that the 16F628A cannot do.

The simplest solution is to upgrade your 16F628A to a 16F88. They are
virtually pin for pin compatible and the 16F88 can rewrite its own program
memory, making it bootloadable. Other 18 pin PIC in the family that can do
that are the 16F818/819.

And also this............

The only bootload-like thing you can do on a 16F628A is to store an
interpreter in the Flash and the program-to-be-interpreted in EEPROM.

So maybe this will help your programmer to see how the original was done. (Just a thought if you go this way in future)

Cheers....Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
gr8flyer55

Jeff, that information is interesting in the fact that they say the 16f628a cannot use the bootloader. The chip used on that timer board we have the problems with is using that chip and that part IS working!!
Maybe that IS the problem. Hmmmm. Do you see the same thing I do or am I just drawing a bad conclusion here?
I remember reading that same line when I was looking up the word "bootloader". If this is true, do you think it is the problem? If so, we would need the source code to rewrite or port it over to a 16f88 chip, right?

John
Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 PM
bluejets

Well John...it is a bit beyond me but I would imagine if the program was written to operate with a bootloader and you tried to load the file it would come up with errors initially. But then , as the exert goes on to say , perhaps they use some sort of interpreter to access data.
But yes, the source code would be a big help.

If you run a disassembler on the hex files, will that give your programmer mate enough to go on...???

I have just downloaded a rather large tutorial on programming but it could take me quite a while to get through. Hope is to be able to do it one day.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM
gr8flyer55

I had thoughts about doing just that.... Running it thru a disassembler to obtain the instruction code. Might be of some help to actually see what is at the beginning of the code and find out if it is an interpreter doing the data storage for retrieval later in program execution. All good thoughts if that is what it is doing. Could just be one bad instruction making it react the way it does. I'll see what he can do with this idea.

Has your board arrived yet? Should be there soon I would think, been about a week since it was sent. Next box will have some other experimental boards and one of the timers with the problems. If you have a scope and can get output signal traces from that board, possibly there is another solution for it. All I could do is watch the screen here from the control software to see the rpm spikes when it triggered. Went into self trigger mode which was very visible as high rpm spikes.

Gathering info for building the new timer and CDI board, written as a tutorial. The toroid core I was using may not be the optimal core for the design. Been experimenting with some T-50-6 iron cores on another design, which is disproving a theory that they are not suited for small power transformers. Actually works better than a ferrite core on that design for some reason. So much to learn about inductance values.

John
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
rahi2k4

Dear john, thanx ,
About the bootloader its a software for the way for reading the pic name and  #. with its memory and flash locations. Without the booting software you cant read the pic and its no,. and the configuration bits and cant also programmed this chip
  Dear sir I want to know how to load the hex /asm and jpg /pdf file here in this thread ,
thanx and regards
Rahul Bisht

Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 PM
rahi2k4

Dear john, thanx ,
About the bootloader its a software for the way for reading the pic name and  #. with its memory and flash locations. Without the booting software you cant read the pic and its no,. and the configuration bits and cant also programmed this chip..I also corrected your circuit for a pickup coil input
 for 4stroke firing .After programming you cant change/erase the boot software of the pic microcontroller.

Dear sir I want to know how to load the hex /asm and jpg /pdf file here in this thread ,
thanx and regards
Rahul Bisht

Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 AM
gr8flyer55

Rahul,
Please email the files to me as an attachment and I will post everything for you.
My email is :

[email protected]

Thanks
John
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Jazzy

Nyemi, John, and John, and other contributors,

I think it is great that you have gone through the trouble of making a DIY setup for people that can and have the desire to do this.
Having programmed TI 8051s and working with a PIC or two at Penn State University, I understand some of the difficulties dealing with compilers and ASM files.

Kudos to you all for taking the time to make this possible for your fellow modelers!!
Excellent work.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays,
Jeff
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
gr8flyer55

Hi Jeff.
Thanks for the compliments. How's the Mac 2815 engine doing that you got awhile back?
If you want to convert it to CDI, I can get you started. Since you are well versed in electronics, I won't elaborate on it but will offer you a plug & play system for postage to test your engine if you want one. Send me a PM if interested.
Have a Merry Christmas!

John
Old 12-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Jazzy

Thanks John!

I am anxious t get started on the MAC engine but don't know when and where I'll be able to work on it (slightly complicated situation).

I'm going to shoot for around 9000 rpm... We'll see if it can take that much porting.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
gr8flyer55

BlueJets has completed building and testing one of my combo timer and ignition boards.
Very nice looking pcb BlueJets!!

John

http://db.tt/iEXqurdQ
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 AM
bluejets

John,

Managed to change the curve...do not know if it is completely successful yet as have not tested new curve.
Will get back when I get some free time

Cheers Jeff
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM
gr8flyer55

Jeff, that is good news. If you were able to use excel version 7 to edit the graphical curve, that is what I was trying to do also. I couldn't get any of the points to move by clicking and dragging to a new position. Program probably has to be changed there to make easier edits. I'm trying to retain the starting points and just edit past the 1000 rpm point. Starting degrees have worked great for me, but the rest needed to be set for a nearly linear advance up max rpm starting around 3500 - 4000 rpm. Depends on individual engine running characteristics, but a universal curve for all engines is what we need. So if it works for that fussy OS 40 you are using, it should work on most others. The curve I sent you in the chip was tested here on a freshly rebuilt K&B 61 with good transition and excellent starting characteristics. When you get it finalized, we'll need some sort of a tutorial on making changes that anyone can do.

I received some etch files from a new member, Rahul Bisht, for his design board for a CDI working on small ATV's with 2cylinder 4 strokes. Board design is good, slightly larger than mine at 65mm x 50mm but includes the advance timer also. When he sends me a viewable parts overlay, I'll post his files. Right now, I have 2 versions... A CDI and a TCI. Both are designed to be used on either scooters or ATV's. I will start a new thread for his designs, since he has many things to share.

John
Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 AM
gr8flyer55

Jeff, in the jpg file of the assembled board you sent to me, I think there is a reversed transistor.. The 2n4401 transistor is facing the wrong way unless you are using a different number that has transposed leads! Alot of problems will result if you have it backwards, unless you found it and have already reversed it..let me know. The flat side should be facing towards the PIC chip.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.