Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

46 CC ITALIAN ENGINE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:51 AM
tatolazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46 CC ITALIAN ENGINE.

Hello, Hello:

A friend this weekend bring with him a used orange trimmer with a cutting circular saw in the front. Very robust body, all metal. The COVER has a "460" on it and the engine says "Made in Italy". For the number of the model and engine size I asume it is 46 cc.

It ran OK in the trimmer, when we started to cut the body it finally weights 1,300 grms., w/O carb, hub or muffler. With carb, and ignition it weights 1.650 grms.

It has (had) two rings. When I dissamble it, I cleaned out all the black residues inside that covers the longshaft the ports and the connecting rod. And discovered thatt he lower ring was stucked to the cilinder. I wanted to loosen it but it broken Up....I know it will happens, since the rings seems to be very floppy, as if they had a big over heat sometime.
Anyway, now with only one ring it still have a very good compression and the missing one is almost unnoticeable. I think this is because since it was stuccked into its groove it was not working at all.
I´m planning to test it before christmas with the remaining ring with its flywheel and coil before installing the ignition. I guess a 20x10 will do the purpouses.

It was a shame that the one he bring for me comes without carb, without rings, the piston has a deeeeep scratch from top to bottom at one side, the cylinder was scratched, etc...the only useful thing was the flywheel!!!!!

In some forum read that someone told to a guy to use only one bowman ring in his 2 ringed ryobi piston, that will be enought, so I will try to run it with one ring only...let´s see what happen.

I hope to have a pic soon to post here.
In the meanwhile, I f you have any idea about this engines...hope some comments.

One thing i liked is that the pulse for the carb pump is taked internally from the very bottom of the engine, not at the carb position thanks to an internal little hole that comes from the carb to the bottom of the engine body, so the pulse should be stronger. Also the carn is at least 12 mm in dia.

Stay well.
Mery Christmas.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:01 PM
tatolazo

Default RE: 46 CC ITALIAN ENGINE.

I got it, the trimmer brand is "EFCO 460"
Any info about the engine. It is italian...
Well, may be if I post a picture you will notice if you have seen something like that.

Tato Lazo.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Rupurt

I emailed a local company who produce string trimmers about the engines they use in their trimmers. They said they were of Italian origin, they where 26cc engines that looked like stihl engines. I dont know the name of any Italian engine producers so i can think who they are produced by. Maybe its the same company.

post the pic it wont do any harm
Old 12-20-2004, 08:44 PM
farley9n

Tato
Here is an engine that I have that may be very similar to yours. In case the pictures don't come out it's an Efco Tiger 40 trimmer. Apart it seems well made though a needle bearing engine. It looks as if it's other or primary use is as a chain saw. The actural engine case has a cast in place for the bar mount. It's 40cc, piston ported, and has a clutch. Hope this helps.....Bob

Posting some pictures seems beyond me now but I will keep trying!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:44 PM
fokker38cc

Hi TATO
Nice to see you are in the big engines, I am in the engiene conversion steps, and I have bought an old italian chainsaw with a bit scorched piston, the cilinder wall OK and the rings stuck, start cleaning process and of course, break a ring.
I am too worried about it!
After a search in the web finally see a motorcycle engine with the same piston diameter, my chainsaw is a 70 cc and the motorcycle is 100 cc.
Go to motorcycle shop and VOILA, the seller have a pair of rings at 6 U$S, Made in Argentina, and talking with the seller , the man brought me two sets more of piston rings but Italian made from your dealer.The pair cost me 12 U$S, but the ring tension is the same that of original ring.
Go to the motorcycle spare parts shop and may be you have luck, the mopeds in the 50 cc range is a good place to start, now this engines is modified and are a lot of piston diameter and rings around.
Good landings
Feliz Navidad y Año Nuevo
Jose
Old 12-21-2004, 12:05 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice too read about the engines you are working on. Keep trying to post a photo. When you upload the photo...give it plenty of tim before hit-ing any keys. Its got to have time. Godod Luck Capt,n cold USA in Mich...by big Lakes
Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 AM
tatolazo

Hi:
Today I reassemble the hole engine together again after a deep cleaning inside and outside.
The remaining ring in the piston was placed on top, and the engine has the same compresion as before. may be at higher rpm that "hand turning" should be a difference, but I think i will try just like it is.
I was about to use it with the flywheel using a hub from one of my ryobi or homelite, but the threads are not the same, so there is no need to do a hub for the flywheel and later another for the ignition I have, so i´m going all the way at once now and will place the ignition directly to test it with the Top flite power point 20x10.-

Hope one of you have some info about the engine.

Tato Lazo
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 PM
EL TEMUCANO

TATO,
MARAVILLOSO EL DESPEGUE DEL EPSILON, TENGO LAS FOTOS CUANDO LO SUELTAS EN LA VERTICAL....

ABOUT THE RING, REMEMBER I CAN LOOK FOR IT HERE IN TEMUCO. IF YOU WHANT, SEND ME YOUR PISTON AND CILINDER, HERE I HAVE A LOT OF PLACE TO LOOK.

ESTA LLENO DE LOCALES DE VENTA DE REPUESTOS DE MOTOS Y MOTOSIERRAS, RECUERDA QUE ESTA ES LA ZONA MADERERA...

UN ABRAZO

SERGIO