Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Poulan 33 cc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:07 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Poulan 33 cc conversion

Hello all. Just received a poulan 33 cc chainsaw that ran great and had about one season on it. Pulled it out of the saw and was disappointed to find the coil is not attached to the motor. Thought long and hard about fabricating some sort of bracket but I think I'm picking up an adapter and sticking with glow. I read the thread on a Ryobi conversion that was successful and that was encouraging. Anyone know what my chances for success might be and what size prop is recommended. this would have been my first gasser.

Chris
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 PM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poulan 33 cc conversion

Why don't you just get an ignition system for it like a capacitive discharge version. They offer better reliability when starting ans is a few once lighter than stock. The reason why I went gas is to get away form high fuel prices and the messy cleanup form glow fuel, not to mension if you should need to repair a plane on glow, the oil presents a problem with ca glue.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:31 PM
chris6414

All the same reasons why i wanted to try and go gas. I got the saw for nothing and that is about how much my wife will allow me to spend on my "next project" so an electronic ignition system is out. Wacker engines carrys an adapter and I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I just wasn't sure on prop size. I was thinking an 18-8 for starters. My motor looks identical to a couple of 42 cc motors I've seen on a couple of other threads. The saw said 2.0 cu in though and that is a 33 cc according to Poulans web page. I getting another saw for nothing and I think that it will be more suited since it is a 46 cc and from what I've read it has the coil attached. Thanks for the idea.

" Too poor for the hobby"
Chris
Old 02-19-2005, 10:12 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

CH has an 14mm to 14x32 adapter, you will have to mod the carb to run alky, fuel mix is usually 20-1.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:32 PM
chris6414

What kind of mods will I have to do? I have some tower 15% Nitro fuel. Will this motor run on this glow fuel? I read of a Ryobi that would.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:28 AM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

I think a 18-10 would work just fine for starters on that 33cc as for the 46 anything from 19 to 21-8 should work. Hope I was helpful.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 PM
chris6414

Thanks for the info. I'm hearing i have to do some mods to the carb. It is a WT-324 I believe. I'm removing the choke for better airflow. Maybe that will help. i just hope it runs OK on glow. I'm not looking to max out this motor as it was free. I just want a big bore glow motor for a SPAD I'm going to build. The CH ignition was just a little more than I wanted to spend. I hear their Prop hubs and adapter are great though. I can't wait to fire this thing up. I just fabricated some mount brackets to fit on a rail mount. I'm going to have some of the metal smiths at work make me a 1/4 or 1/2 inch aluminum "L" mount to bolt to a firewall. I'm having fun even if my wife isn't.

"Poor Flyer"
Old 02-20-2005, 08:54 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

I'm a spad man too i would like to see your plane when you get it ready to fly. I've converted a 46cc poulan motor and going to start putting it on plane this week. The plane i have is a scratch built something extra(25-30%) a friend gave it to me he built it about 5yrs ago. I think it will work good for a test plane. I have a texas hurricane new in box(25%) i'm going to put it on if it works out ok. I can tell you one bad thing about the 46cc's the carb does not bolt on the motor you will have to make a carb mount to hold the carb to the block. Good luck on your project.

smallplanes
Old 02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

You have to enlarge the fuel jets in the carb. The fuel air ratio for gas is around 14-1, for alky its 7-1 aso you need to flow 2x the fuel.
On a walbro the jets are cast into the body and are under a welch plug. Jets needs to be 2x the area... NOT 2x the DIA.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:19 AM
chris6414

Thanks for the reply. I heard that about the 46s. My 33 has a nice clean set-up except for the ignition. My first SPAD was a success after about 6 years of not flying. I found a piece of round PVC on the side of the road and figured it would make a good fuse for my Super Tigre .61. It took about 10 test flights to get that ugly thing flying but it is my favorite right now. I used a 1 1/14 inch round rigid PVC I had lying around for the spar. I just had to fill in the ends with foam because it sounded like an A-10 on a gun run when I cranked up the speed. It made a nice symetrical wing and glued nice. I just had to stack some coro under the trailing edge to get the incidence right. My wife contributed to the project with a hairspray bottle that fit perfect into the fuse. She(the plane) is heavy but flies nice. I learned alot building this bird. I priced a PVC fence post for about $8 at Lowes for this 33cc. I'll post my progress.