Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Does it go this way or this way...DOHH!!

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Does it go this way or this way...DOHH!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Turbobeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it go this way or this way...DOHH!!

Hi guy's.Have a question for you regarding the Homelite 25's and 30's.Need some advice on which way is the correct way to re-install the connecting rod /piston assembly back onto the crank pin.I forgot to mark the back of the connecting rod for reference when disassembling these and I got called away on other business.Now I'm back at these again finally and I'm not 100% sure which way to re-install these.Thought I'd better ask for advice before I go any further.

When your looking at the bottom end of the connecting rods and the needle bearing assemblies,you will notice that one side of the needle bearing is quite flat while the other side seems to have a bit of a rounded taper to it.Is it designed that way for ease of installation into the connecting rod or is there another purpose for this?The flat side of the needle bearing is the side that has the bearings identification number on it.Should this number be facing in or out when looking at the engine from the rear with the crank case cover removed?Is it the same for the 25 and the 30?
This Homie 25 has a free moving piston ring while the 30 uses a pinned piston ring.There is no real reference point for the 25 because the ring is free moving(other than the bearing number facing in or out) but I guess there is for the 30 because the ring is pinned.Looking at the Homie 30 from an aerial view with the crankshaft at the 12 o'clock position,where abouts should the piston ring pin be located in relation to this.There are two possibilites here,roughly the 10 o'clock position(bearing number facing out) or the 4 o'clock position(bearing number facing in).I am usually very careful when taking things apart to make notes and pay attention to the little details but I didn't make note of this for some reason...and then I got called away on other business.Now here I am back again 2 months later trying to remember the details............which I didn't write down.DOHH!!Sure hope you guy's can help.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:35 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Does it go this way or this way...DOHH!!

It does not matter as long as the pin does not go into a port.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Turbobeaver

Well I'm updating this thread with information regarding the proper way to re-install the connecting rod back onto the crank pin for a Homie 25 or 30.There may very well be others later that will find themselves in a similiar situation with a Homie conversion that they are doing and would appreciate knowing the answer to this question as I sure would have.I found out the hard way after finally having the opportunity to take apart and inspect another 4 Homies and they were all done the same way.

As mentioned before,the lower needle bearing on the connecting rod is sort of rounded off or tapered on one side of rod and flat on the other side usually with a numerical bearing identification number stamped or printed on it.This flat side of the bearing with the bearing number stamped on it,should be facing OUTWARDS after being reinstalled on the crankpin .Other hands,when installing the connecting rod back on the crank pin,just make sure the rounded/tapered side of the needle bearing on the connecting rod is the side you slide onto the crankpin first.I hope this helps somebody else down the road.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:32 PM
farley9n

That sounds like good information however I do it differently. If it's a 30cc I check to be sure that the piston ring pins are on either side of the intake port between the transfer passages. The 25cc without pins I put together the same way even though I know that the ring is capable of turning freely. It just seems like a good place to start. As far as the needle bearings go, I have found them to be either way. Any way that's another two cents worth..........
Old 03-12-2005, 08:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On the Homelight it shouldn't make any difference for the needle bearing.

This bearing was designed for crankpin duty and typically the forged crankpins had a fillet on the end next to the counterweight. The Homelite has a drill rod (pressed in) crank pin if I remember correctly? and it shouldn't make any difference. Some one with a crank handy please refresh me on this?

It's more important to observe the ring gap position relative to the ports.

Enjoy
Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo B Good update. Hey...it says USA on the lower rod bearing on my Homlite engine!!! Good to see that USA on anything. If you did not seperate rod from piston...you can sometimes tell the correct way. The piston is often a little more varnished by the exhaust port. So if when you slip piston back in cyl with the varnished face lined up with exhaust port...you most likely got it back right. Smooth Landings Capt,n
Old 03-12-2005, 09:11 PM
farley9n

On the Homelites the later style cranks have pressed in pins and main shafts. The early engines have a one piece froged crank and the pin is a ground part of it. ( I think they are forged - could be cast but I doubt it)
Old 03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Turbobeaver

Yes,on the 30's it is important to take note of where the piston ring end gap is located because it is pinned but on most 25's where the ring is free floating,it doesn't really matter.As stated before,I didn't pay close enough attention when taking these engines apart so I wasn't sure how the connecting rod came off the crankpin direction wise.I didn't remove the pistons from the connecting rods so everything is still as it was originally there.It's just always nice to put things back together again and running in the same direction that they were originally operating and running in for years.It's not usually a good idea to run bearings in an opposite rotational direction after they've been used for quite a while.That was my only concern here.
With regards to the crankshaft,you are right on both counts there.I have one of each in front of me and they are as you described.Yes the drill rod crankpin is pressed into a hole in the counterbalance that goes the whole way through.No doubt,both are also probably splined to prevent any chance of movement this way or that away.No fillet joint on this one.Straight 90degrees.