Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

ECHO 44 CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 06:49 AM
WarbirdMadMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECHO 44 CONVERSION

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd share my latest conversion. An Echo 44cc chainsaw. Turned out ok. Using DA ignition. Runs very nicely on the bench.
Haven't tached or weighted it at this stage. This ones going into a very modified WM GS Mustang. Should fly it ok. I wish the plane was as ready to go as the motor is. [&o]
Lots to do with the plane as it is second hand, been in a crash or two and will be repaired and modified, then glassed and painted.
Anyone else with Echo conversion photos, it would be great to see them.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82777.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	243635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72082.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	243636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67054.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	243637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84431.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	243638  
Old 03-14-2005, 08:49 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: ECHO 44 CONVERSION

You have appeared to handle the front carb deal nicely

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you rotate the cyl to get the carb in front? Or is that the way they come? What kind of muffler is that? Its nice looking!!! Good Job.....Capt,n
Old 03-14-2005, 05:40 PM
WarbirdMadMan

You have appeared to handle the front carb deal nicely
Thanks w8ye.

Capt,n,

No rotation, engine is that configuration. The mufflers I make myself. That's the advantage of being a Fitter and Turner, Toolmaker.
Thanks for the compliment though.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:23 AM
mikenlapaz

Shouldn't have any fuel spit out of that installation. Ram induction. Do front mount carbs take an extra rich high needle with that forced air intake? First one I have seen. Nice conversion.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:34 AM
mikenlapaz

KatanaMadMan Any idea on the weight? This is a small version off a backpack blower and the scale gives an idea. It was older moeel with point ignition.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10516.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	244172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24558.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	244173  
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 AM
WarbirdMadMan

mikenlapaz,
Doesn't seem to need extra rich needle setting. I was a bit worried about the ram air effect myself before I ran it. [sm=confused.gif]But it doesn't seem to effect it in a bad way which is good. It runs great on the bench.
Have now weighed it. The engine as in photos above (including muffler), minus prop and spinner is 1880 grams or 4lb 2oz. Ignition module, switch and 4 cell battery pack weigh 220 grams or 7.5oz. So all up flying weight 2100 grams or 4lb 9.5oz
This was an old model points ignition too. One of my Dads old chainsaws. Got it for zero dollars. I have a 64cc Echo to convert yet. Looks the same as 44cc, just a little bigger. Got it for nothing from one of my wifes uncles. He ran it over with a tractor. Damaged the handles and parts of the case but the motor is perfect. Can't complain about the price of these motors
Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 AM
mikenlapaz

Was there ever any consideration of somehow getting the carb on the rear portion of engine? Reversing the crankshaft in case or changing the timing for opposite rotation? How far do the carb and muffler protrude from the sides of the head? Firewall to TE of prop dimension?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 PM
WarbirdMadMan

No never even considered turning it around. Makes the conversion more difficult with muffler on the front. Two stroke glows and MVVS engines have the carbies on the front, although they are at an angle. If it turns out a problem I will make a cover plate to stop the ram air effect.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

You should not have any trouble with that installation. You may find that as you are flying and more air gets ram in the carb yoy may have to richin it a bit on the high like was said earlier. If possible you may have to relocate the regulator diaphram hole. It should be powerfull!. What is the saw model number by chance?.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
mikenlapaz

There is alot in those pics I missed the first time. It appears that there was weight reduction on the carb spacer as well. Did the engine side also get some relief machining? I like detail, you spent some time on this.

The flange holding the sensor pick-up appears to have two studs protruding forward. Did you install the studs and flange or where the part of the case?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 PM
WarbirdMadMan

browng300,
Yep, thats what I reckon too. May need to be a little richer in the air. Will check out the regulator hole and shift it to the rear of the carby. It seems nice and powerful but haven't tached it yet. Saw model number is CS451VL.

mikelapaz,
The carby spacer is actually molded that way with webbing instead of being solid which is nice. The engine cases were cut from the original saw cases, then trimmed down and painted with heat proof paint. You have had a good look at the photos to pick up the studs holding the pickup assembly. The studs were a part of the cases. Where I have mounted the pickup assembly, the points ignition plate was mounts, being held by these studs. They were also used to adjust the points gap. It worked out well for me.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks.