Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Ryobi and CH

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 AM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi and CH

Started a Ryobi conversion and did not like the clearance between the flywheel and the cowl
Not to mention it would be a little to nose heavy. Well I finally picked up a CH. ignition
I originally had a Wacker eng. prop hub on it. I need to keep the same distance from engine to end of prop hub I had with the flywheel installed
Now I need to mount the earth magnet.
I guess what I need to know is do I buy a timing wheel, or do I cut out the center of the flywheel (don’t even know if that would work) Does anyone make one to match the bevel of the crank and key way(1/16)?
The instructions talk about a timing plate and setscrew but is not clear to me.
Can you help?
Thanks
Dennis
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Ryobi and CH

C-H makes it real simple for you if you buy their parts. The hub is keyed in place and the sensor attaches in a manor that the timing is correct.

If you need a longer prop<>engine distance just use spacers?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 04-23-2005, 11:13 AM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks Jim. I have a new C-H setup with everything but the timing hub and thought you had to turn the flywheel. I see now they have a timing kit. I didn't see before guess I'll have to order one. There goes another 2 weeks.
Thanks Again
Dennis
Old 04-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

If you have access to a lathe, plus time and patience, you can turn the stock flywheel down to a small prophub. Then you can simply drill a hole in the appropriate place and install a magnet. I have done that for engines that I couldn't find existing prop hubs for. To me, it's a method of last resort.

If a prop hub is commercially available, get it!!! Cutting down the flywheel is just not worth the time and effort, unless you enjoy the work.