Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Cheap'n'quick models for converted engines

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Cheap'n'quick models for converted engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 PM
epilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap'n'quick models for converted engines

Dear All

I have been using the search engine on RCU but have found very little info about large models built out of cheap foam materials. I dare not ask about this in the Giant Models forum because it seems full of threads about 30% all moulded, expensive aircraft.

I like models that don't cost a second mortgage. It makes me more relaxed when flying them, knowing that if I crash it won't have cost me a lot of time and money.

I mainly build micro R/C planes under 1oz AUW - often from various foams. Used right foam structures can be very light and strong. I don't see why a decent large model couldn't be built from 6mm Depron with a bit of hard balsa or spruce in strategic places. Ordinary beaded styro can also be strong when covered with brown paper. The only large model I know of that uses Depron is this one:

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/flybaby.htm

Has anyone here built models for converted gas engines from Depron or Styro?

Michael
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 PM
aero nut

Default RE: Cheap'n'quick models for converted engines

I've used foamboard which is a foam and poster board sandwich, it works great and it comes in 40x30 inch sheets, what i do i cut the fuse sides and reinforce them from the firewall up to the seat of the wing with 1/8 lite ply for the big birds and 1/16 balsa for the regular planes.
I will try to take some snap shots and post them.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
cdale03

Epilot you need to be looking at the spad forums on here or go to http://spadworld.net/forum/ and check the gasser section. there is a few made of foam board /coroplast .

Check it out. lots of reading.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

www.crazyherb.com
large floaters and delta.i built one that looked like a sig spacewalker.80 inch ws,flew it with a poulan 25cc featherlite.even with a low powered engine it still flew great.no plans,TLAR dimensions.