Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Gas/Glow Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:41 AM
os10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas/Glow Conversion

Have Echo/Kioritz GT1100 that I thought would make a nice gas glow conversion. Can anyone tell me what size this engine is?? Maybe a 16cc?? Where might I get a hub adapter/prop adapter and glow plug adapter?? Not interested in flying anything with it just to experiment with. Fly GP Big Stick with my Mac and Ryobi conversions. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas/Glow Conversion

Yeah, it's a 16cc. Cute little engine but heavy for the power it makes because of it's small size. The much more powerful 21+ cc engines weigh only a few ounces more.

I converted one and used it on a Great Planes Big Stik, (not Giant), several years ago. I put a larger carb and free flowing muffler on it and it flew the Stik ok at sea level, a bit under powered later when flown at a higher altitude field. It had ignition though. Gas/Glow makes it slightly more feasible, especially on a trainer type plane like a Telemaster or something. Mine had enough power for basic aerobatics at sea level.... but just....

AV8TOR
Old 02-25-2007, 12:01 PM
jrjr2u

AV8TOR - That must have been the .60 size ?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBMM8&P=ML
Old 02-25-2007, 04:31 PM
oldtimer2
My Feedback: (19)

The echo operation manual gives the engine size as 21.2cc. Go to echo outdoor power equip.,tech. documents enter the part # gt-1100, that will bring up the oper. manuals & the part lists.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:23 PM
os10

Thanks for the replys. AV8TOR I did see your conversion in the Don't Forget Echo archives of this forum and I thought I had a 16cc also. I liked your description a cute little engine and it is. Oldtimer2 thanks for the info on the size I went to the echo site several times and all I could get was no records found until I saw the way you wrote it. I FORGOT THE HYPHEN. I have contacted Whacker about a hub and glo adapter and some other suppliers about parts found here on RCU. I hope to have a little gas glo up and running soon. Thanks again everyone this is my first post here and every one seems to be helpfull.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you need top power out of that 16cc engine...run 10% Glow fuel...no gas...and maybe a port job. Capt,n
Old 02-25-2007, 05:40 PM
os10

I forgot to ask how is everyone taking the lower aluminum shroud off of the front of the engine?? I am used to converting Ryobis and Macs Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:48 PM
os10

Thanks for the info Captinjohn but it turns out that I have a 21.2cc engine and not a 16cc as first thought but your suggestion may well be used to get more power out of this engine. Time and testing will tell.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically the conversion process is.... Keep cutting everything off that is not necessary until it starts to look like an airplane engine.

Yes, cut off the shrouding. Congrats on it being the 21cc, as that's a lot better than the 16cc. I believe it's the same engine that FPE uses for the smaller of the engines they sell.

Here's a nice link on converting that engine: http://tech.flygsw.org/echo_conversion.htm

Have fun,
AV8TOR
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
os10

Thanks for the link AV8TOR it is helpful. It is not as hard as I thought it was going to be to remove the lower shroud. Dremel and reinforced cut off wheel made short work of it now just have to clean it up some. Does anyone know where to get a PROP HUB for this engine?? No one seems to have or wants to make one. Too Costly to put a taper in the middle of it they say. I have seen several hubs here in this forum. Where do you get them?? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well we are into March now...spring is in site! I had a extra cylinder for a Homlite 25cc. So I decided to turn the top fins down to see how that worked on my Lathe. Went real easy. I am going to re-do a cyl just for glow/gas use. I figure to cut the top fins way back so the glow plug area will run warmer. That should help out a lot for Idle. When you think about it glow engines do not need as much fin area as gas engines. Some model Deisel engines do not have any cooling fins on head. In most of our airplanes these engine run cooler than in a chain saw. I will touch up the ports also. Here is a photo of "test cylinder. Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46730.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	636775