Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Roybi Ignition Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM
venomxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roybi Ignition Clearance

Does anyone know the space between the flywheel and the electronic ignition in a Ryobi gas trimmer engine?

I did a tune up and opened everything apart to clean. After I put it back, the electronic ignition didn't create a spark. I figure it must be the crucial space btw those two parts.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:28 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Roybi Ignition Clearance

Just insert a business card or simular card stock between the magnets and the coil. Tigthen down the coil screws and remove the card. The idea is to get the coil as close a possible to the magnsts without touching. If the flywheel drags on the coil after adjustment, you may have bad shaft bearings.

Dave
Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for ei it is .020
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: venomxx

Does anyone know the space between the flywheel and the electronic ignition in a Ryobi gas trimmer engine?

I did a tune up and opened everything apart to clean. After I put it back, the electronic ignition didn't create a spark. I figure it must be the crucial space btw those two parts.

I set the coil spacing to .010†when the specifications are unknown.

Bill
Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
venomxx

Thanks for all the replies.

I got the sparks. Now the problem seems to be the carburator. I've been cranking it for a while and now the Carb. along with the engine is flooded with gasoline.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
venomxx

...Its still not firing up. I left it to dry over night and tried to crank it up again.

Do I have to re-seal everything after opened them up ? for example, the gasket seals ?

The Ryobi have a reed intake at the firewall for air/fuel mix. Maybe thats where the problem is ?

Anyone has any ideas why its not firing up?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
davewallace

venom, It has to be spun at about 400 rpm to get a spark. All of the seals need to be in good condition. Did it run before you converted it? Maybe the reed isn't fully closed. This would keep it from drawing fuel. Again if it flooded, it should be drawing fuel. It should at least fire. Pull the plug and squirt a little fuel into the chamber. replace the plug and it should at least burn off that charge.

Dave
Old 04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
venomxx

No it doesn't start up at all. I checked the seals and it was tore. I just went ahead and cut out from a stock card magazine and replace the seal. It works pretty well but still no ignition. I thought it could be the compression but thats unlikely the case.

I'm still trying to figure out why its not firing up.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:44 PM
davewallace

Are you getting a spark?

Dave
Old 04-28-2007, 11:48 PM
venomxx

Also, I have another engine. It is a 24cc from a leaf blower. I did the same thing, opened it up and general cleaning. After I put the parts back together, it wont fire.

[&o][&o][&o][&o]
Old 04-29-2007, 09:31 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean by opened it up? What all did you take apart? Has it got compression now? If you pulled the cylinder assembly off the case....you should have put a new piston ring in it. Did you have the piston ring off piston? If so, you should clean the ring grove. The piston ring has to go exactly the same way it came off. Post some photos of what you got going there if you can...then we can help more. Capt,n
Old 04-29-2007, 10:54 PM
venomxx

I only did general cleaning on the engines. I didnt take the crank shaft nor the piston off...not even the engine head. Thats why i've been puzzling why it isn't firing.
I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A word of CAUTION....some guys that have been trying to flip start a engine get to thinking it will never fire....thats when it does and a strong backfire can really HURT. Be carefull. Best Regards capt,n
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
ROOSTERLEW

what did you use to clean it? Did you take carb apart or blow in it with compressed air? If it has happened to two engines then it is something you're doing(not being rude, just logic dude) You need to step back through the process and see where you goofed. I can be very helpful..I goof alot!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
venomxx

... yea I dont know what i did wrong. I thought it was the rings that caused a loss in compression thus no fire, but that wasn't the case of the 2nd engine.

The only thing I'm thinking is the ignition. Maybe it doesn't keep on firing once it start since sometimes the engine sputter but does not run continuously...no matter what I try.