Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

ok, new ring recieved and installed, as it's almost 2am no testing tonight... I went from around .009" gap with the stock ring, to less than .0015" (smallest feeler gage petal) with the pinned Bowman ring, will test and hopefully fly it tomorrow...
Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rangerfredbob

ok, new ring recieved and installed, as it's almost 2am no testing tonight... I went from around .009" gap with the stock ring, to less than .0015" (smallest feeler gage petal) with the pinned Bowman ring, will test and hopefully fly it tomorrow...

It will take some time for your ring to brake in. Your engine mite not run so good at 1st You will have to give it some time. Your glow plug will not last long dering the brake in. (do not know why) Win brakeing in a engine it is best to do it on the ground and with a old glow plug

Paul
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
travisback

I just tried this glow/gas method and was amazed how great it worked. I used a Homelite 25cc engine and it purred like a kitten, unfortunately it was running backwards. I shut it down and used the electric starter and then it worked fantastic. Thanks for all the tips and tricks.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club!

AV8TOR
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 AM
plasticmaster

How long do the OS F glow plugs last when running a gas/glow setup? I've got a Homelite 30cc that is turning a few hundred rpm less on gas/glow than it did on spark (same prop and carb). However the plug is an OS F plug that was used quite a bit on a 42cc Poulan and is now on the Homelite. Perhaps I should replace it with a new plug once I get the the Homelite almost dialed in. What do you all think?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:43 AM
av8tor1977

Very unusual for one to lose power, as all mine gained power on Gas/Glow. Sure, try a new plug, though I have had very good glow plug life except for the initial break in of a new or rebuilt engine.

AV8TOR
Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Read every bit on the conversions but my 25 hommie always ran backwards. Since I read about using a starter it fires right up. Lots of power when it warms up. Tried to remove the ignighter to soon & it died. As soon as I started it & let it warm up it ran without it. Thanks for all the tips.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM
av8tor1977

You're welcome. Have fun with it!

AV8TOR
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
jadec241

Av8tor1977, I don't have after-run oil but I see you use trans fluid. Was wondering how much do you use & do you pull the plug & drop it into the cylinder? I just finished the hommie 26cc mightylite. Its a screamer. The difference between the 25 & 26cc is the shaft threads on the 26 is 8X1 1/25 & I fabricated the mounts out of alum. flat stock. If you have any more ideas on these little 26cc. I will be checking the forum.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 PM
av8tor1977

For just normal after flying use, I just dribble some auto trans fluid into the carb, and then either spin the engine over for a moment with the starter, or flip the prop several times. I have a "3 in 1 Oil" can that I emptied, pulled the plastic cap off, and filled it with auto trans fluid. It is handy because of the little pull out spout it has which allows you to control how much you are putting in, and then easily closes for safe keeping.

If I have one I am going to store for a while, I usually pull the spark plug and shoot a little in there as well and then turn it over to distribute it. Remember to always run the engine dry of fuel first...

AV8TOR
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: travisback

I just tried this glow/gas method and was amazed how great it worked. I used a Homelite 25cc engine and it purred like a kitten, unfortunately it was running backwards. I shut it down and used the electric starter and then it worked fantastic. Thanks for all the tips and tricks.
Welcome to the backwords club!!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

For just normal after flying use, I just dribble some auto trans fluid into the carb, and then either spin the engine over for a moment with the starter, or flip the prop several times. I have a "3 in 1 Oil" can that I emptied, pulled the plastic cap off, and filled it with auto trans fluid. It is handy because of the little pull out spout it has which allows you to control how much you are putting in, and then easily closes for safe keeping.

If I have one I am going to store for a while, I usually pull the spark plug and shoot a little in there as well and then turn it over to distribute it. Remember to always run the engine dry of fuel first...

AV8TOR
I have found out for long term storage...run fuel out...place a short piece of fuel tubing on carb and fill tube with silicone spray. It will suck into carb when cranking over, and keep the carburator rubber parts nice and stop any corrosion. It is worth it in the long run. Capt,n
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
jadec241

Thanks for the info. Tomorrow I will take the engine to the field to run a tank thru. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Lnewqban

AV8TOR:

Could this mix be used for small glow engines (0.40 and 0.60)?

Pros; cons?

Thank you
Old 11-15-2008, 09:30 PM
av8tor1977

Basically, the answer is no. The reason being that the larger, made for gasoline engines have roller bearings on the crank/rod and rod/piston interface. They can therefore handle much lower oil percentage fuel mixes than the bushed rod glow engines. Because of this, the normal Gas/Glow fuel mixture with an overall oil percentage of only around 3% would not be good for the bushed rod glow engines, which are usually rated to run on oil mixtures of from 16 to 20 percent more or less.

That is not to say all is lost. There have been some people experimenting with Gas/Glow mixes in glow engines here in the forum but with more oil content. Do a search and some threads should pop up with more info. The only other caveat would be to watch for overheating. A tightly cowled glow engine running on a gasoline type mix could overheat unless proper cooling air ducting was achieved. The gasoline in the mix burns hotter and does not have the inherent cooling effects of methanol.

AV8TOR
Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
captinjohn

AV8TOR, There is about 2-3 inches of snow here in West Michign. I fed My Husky Dogs and thought I would see how my Gas/Glow test engine would start. I put the glow driver on for about 30 seconds..fliped engine over with my thumb to it kicked back a little. Then I gave it a serious flip and it started right up. It ran smooth on Idle for about 45 seconds and then I took the glow driver off. The engine did not hardley drop any RPM and it kept running smooth. I shut it down and it re-started first flip 3 times in a row. By then I was frooze...end of test and back in where its warm. Looks like cold weather may help engine...but not me! Take Care Capt,n
Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
av8tor1977

Yep, I remember those frozen fingers and how they felt when propping an engine back when I lived in the mountains and it got cold. Brrrr.... But I have run the Gas/Glow engines in the winter and had no problems with them other than a longer warm up period being needed. Glad yours is running well!

It is 70 degrees here in Puerto Penasco right now.

Stay warm!
AV8TOR
Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Basically, the answer is no. The reason being that...

That is not to say all is lost. There have been some people experimenting with Gas/Glow mixes in glow engines here in the forum but with more oil content. Do a search and some threads should pop up with more info. The only other caveat would be to watch for overheating. A tightly cowled glow engine running on a gasoline type mix could overheat unless proper cooling air ducting was achieved. The gasoline in the mix burns hotter and does not have the inherent cooling effects of methanol.

AV8TOR

Thank you, Av8tor!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM
jadec241

Av8tor, I ran the 25cc hommie with a good mixture, but if I remove the igniter after a few minutes it dies. I am running a Fox miricle plug. Do you think the OS F fourstroke plug will keep it running? The hi end needle is turned out about 3/4 of a turn. Other than that ,the engine screams.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
jadec241

Captinjohn, I see you are on line. I left av8tor a message, if you see it let me know what you think.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
av8tor1977

Yeah, I would try the OS Four stroke plug and see how that works. Also make sure your mixture is correct. If it is too rich, it will load up at idle and eventually quit.

AV8TOR
Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: jadec241

Captinjohn, I see you are on line. I left av8tor a message, if you see it let me know what you think.
Yes try a Brand spakin NEW OS "F" plug. The first one I tried was used or tired. Get a new one. That should do it. Capt,n
Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tryed plug after plug and the OS F is the only one that seem to work good. The OS 8 worked ok but not as good as the F

Paul
Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM
travisback

My only issue I have had so far is the long warm up period. I milled about 1/3 of the fins off with excellent results. The engine warms up in about 45 seconds vs 3 minutes. I have ran several tanks of fuel through the engine and it does not over heat. Here is a link to my engine, let me know if the site is not working.

hackerback.com/homelite/homelite.jpg
Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 PM
captinjohn

I dicovered the same thing...by wraping the top portion with tin foil on a test engine! The engine warms up much faster. Capt,n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.