Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

gas to glow

Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas to glow

ok I think iam ready to try my gas to glow ryobi today if it stops raining. This is what I have done so far. I have taken a spark plug adapter (adapter used to stop oil fouling on plugs) drilled and tapped for the glow plug then I took an old fly wheel and using A hole saw cut the center out and used it for a spacer ring behind the prop adapter. for fuel I am going to mix up only a little to see if it works ( 1pint of 10% nitro and 10% oil to 2 pints of gas )I know the form said 1qt glow fuel to 2qt gas but dont want to use all my glow fuel up. I am goine to use the stock carb ( my new carb is not here yet its a wt 499 ) I am using A os type f plug. Iam going to use a starter and mabey flip it over if I can get the carb adjusted out. so what do you all think michael
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: gas to glow

you can just use a glass measuring cup to measure out the fuel, so you can make however much you want...
Old 05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the glow plug element part itself recessed way up into that spark plug adapter? You can try it and see how it works, but both the "store bought" adapters and the ones I make for myself have the glow plug even with the end of the adapter in the combustion chamber; not up inside the adpater.

Let us know how it works out.

AV8TOR
Old 05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
michael wood

Well I just tried it and it worked well it started anyway. When I first started it it sounded lik a piston knock and when I started to adjust the high end it went away. I have not finished adjusting because its raining here and I dont think the wife will let me start it in the house.I started the adjustments with the needles set at 2 1/2 turns let ti warm up and adjusted the high end first then it stared raining I will keep you all posted thanks michael
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM
michael wood

Its even with the end of the adapter I have to use clips for the glow plug not bad for my first adapter leaves room to play with michael
Old 05-09-2009, 03:33 PM
michael wood

ok here are some numbers at full throtle the tac reads 7000 and the ideal is the lowest i can get with out killing the engine is 2500 it has a good transion. I think the new carb and a gasket set for the engine will help so what do you think michael
Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
av8tor1977

Depends on what prop. 7000 with an 18 x 8 is passable. 7000 with a smaller prop would be low. When you pull it apart check the ring gap. Used engines can usually benefit from a new ring. It also depends on the carb and muffler. The carb should have an 11mm venturi, and the muffler should be as free breathing as possible. The stock carb is very small, and the original muffler is restrictive.

AV8TOR
Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 PM
aussiesteve

ORIGINAL: michael wood

I dont think the wife will let me start it in the house.
Only one way to be sure of that -
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
michael wood

I have gutted the muffler and I am waiting on my carb. I ordered a wt 499. its supose to work with methonal should be here in a week. anybody use a wt 499? the ring looks good but I think I will order another one. Now it shakes bad when it idles but it shook before the prop is balanced . As far as the prop i think i am using an 18-10 or an 18-8 before I started the switch over to gas to glow the engine would pull my 15lb ulta spad stick around prety good that is with a stock engine with a magneto. What rpm should I be looking for? I well keep you all posted when I get it all together michael
Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM
michael wood

Well I got got back from flying my uss weight is 14lbs. I cant get the grin off my face. It didnt miss a beat and pulled real good for a stock carb. My new carb wt499 should be here this week and we will see if i can get it to tack better then 7000 with an 18/8 prop. The enging was shaking at an idle but i read that the pump cover gasket would cause this if it was installed wrong like mine was now it will idle at about 2500 and not shake the plane to death. Again thank you all for your help in this endever. I will keep you all posted to see if my rpm comes up with the new carb thanks again michael
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 PM
av8tor1977

Congratulations!  It's always fun when a project "comes together".  I know the feeling.

Keep in mind that a rich idle will also cause excessive shaking.  A lot of guys tune their idles rich so that the engine will respond, or transition well from low to high throttle.  Many times if you are willing to move the "throttle stick" on the transmitter a little slower, you can tune for a more ideal idle.  I often program in exponential with my computer radio on the throttle channel to "help me" with this....

AV8TOR

Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
michael wood

thanks I will keep that in mine I try to lean the high side first and richen it up just a little cant wait to put that WT499 on it to see what it will do should be here this week and a new two ring piston I am also thinking of takeing the gasket under the jug out and use high temp rtv to raise the compression up a litle what do you think michael
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
michael wood

Well the new carb and piston is installed and the engine runs good the high and low needles are only turned out about 1 1/4 andhas a nice transsion It got todard to tac it so when I go fly tommrow I tac it then michael
Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
michael wood

Well I tacked it today and it tacked at 7400 rpm with a new piston and new carb I am thinking that the rpm will come up when the ring gets broken in more what do you all think michael
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
luning1

don't think its the right spot but i'll try.....   whats the differents between 2 stroke glow plug and 4 stroke glow plugs. i'm the the middle of the Nevada desert and doing my own converstion tks
Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM
michael wood

the 2 stroke plug has a thinner element in it then the 4 stroke plug and the 4 stroke plug stays hotter longer I thinks thats right michael
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 AM
av8tor1977

They use various "tricks" to manipulate the heat rating, but yes, the four stroke plug is hotter and holds it's heat longer.

AV8TOR