Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hi all,

Well, I promised a video for you... but it never happened because the wind never died off. [:@] Just before dark, the wind did die off, so I took the BOL out for a spin without the camera. Sure am glad I didn't have it on board!
I was flying at about 100 ft. up... going sideways at full throttle when the BOL went insane. I was literally all over the sky! I fought with it and finally got it down without a crash. Upon inspection..... one of my servos was just flopping around inside. I can't believe I got it down without a crash. So, I need to stick the servo back in place and, weather permitting, I'll try again tonight. So, check your servos and make sure they are still mounted strongly. The thing I found humorous about the whole thing is..... this is not an extended shaft BOL... and through all of that I never had a blade clash!

Buzz
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM
rikybob

Hi all!

Storm system coming here so no outside flyin'. Fired up the little Blade CX2 and flew in garage for about 5 minutes. "Pugsly" or time may have killed the "Mega Power" batteries but I suspect Pugsly as you all know, you have to stop flying before you kill the lipo.

Another thought, I am wondering about my alturistic nature vs. canabalizing the old CX2. Just thinkin' outloud. The CX2 has a proven 3 in 1 on board. I have a spare Blade SR gyro ........hmmmm. I wonder with the parts I have could I switch my Esky parts over to my Lama? Kinda thinking about the eventuality of a Spektrum DX6I so as to have just one radio to lug around and of course the opportunity to program it for the Blade SR.

Thoughts???

Rikybob
Old 04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Ddaddy

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Hi all!

Storm system coming here so no outside flyin'. Fired up the little Blade CX2 and flew in garage for about 5 minutes. "Pugsly" or time may have killed the "Mega Power" batteries but I suspect Pugsly as you all know, you have to stop flying before you kill the lipo.

Another thought, I am wondering about my alturistic nature vs. canabalizing the old CX2. Just thinkin' outloud. The CX2 has a proven 3 in 1 on board. I have a spare Blade SR gyro ........hmmmm. I wonder with the parts I have could I switch my Esky parts over to my Lama? Kinda thinking about the eventuality of a Spektrum DX6I so as to have just one radio to lug around and of course the opportunity to program it for the Blade SR.

Thoughts???

Rikybob
I think it's a good idea.

It also looks like Peters emails have paid off!

http;//www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2945

Ken

Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 PM
hdcharlie

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Hi all!

Thoughts???

Rikybob

Ken

I think I repaired your link(you have a semi-colon after the http), but what's new there(I mean at the link)?

http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2945

Charlie
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Ddaddy

cry cry cry.....broke my link.........

It's cool tho....so how much is Peter paying you?

Ken
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM
hdcharlie

cry cry cry.....broke my link.........

It's cool tho....so how much is Peter paying you?

Ken
I just thought about how my reply might be interpreted and edited it. It was not a criticism, Ken.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
pgroom_68

All,
So's I get with my neighbor who gave I gave my old Blade CX2 to for a gift to one of their friends. I purchased it in 07ish, mastered same in 6 months and grew bored.
I sent it off with the admonition that I would NOT provide technical support. Very time consuming to teach a noob directy as I was VERY busy at that point in my life.
I imagine that the scenario went like this (we shall refer to the kid that got this 300 US gift as ''Pugsly''): Pugsly forwent the manual that I provided. Plugged in the battery and drilled the little bird into the ground at about warp 9! Stuck the carcass in his closet.
I did some computer work for his mom at their house some months ago and met the 300lb 15 year old and asked how the heli went. He said he couldn't figure it out and it was in his closet (noted). I asked his mom a month ago about it and got it back the other day.
Inner cog was toast. Cabin nose was punched. CF tail was broken. Batteries still worked a little. One was a little ''puffed'' but both ran!
I pulled the little bugger all the way down, replaced both shafts and oiled it up!
Ran the son of a gun this am and it flew perfectly.
I think I am going to give it to the neighbor!
Got any lines on some 7.4v batteries???

Have a nice day!
ps tag line will read:
Eflite Blade CX2 (metal) , Esky Big Lama (metal and brushless) and Horizon Hobby has my Eflite Blade SR!
Hey again R/B,

Don't know if you deserve this excellent link - but [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-x-RC-Lipo-battery-7-4V-900mah-15c-Lama-V4-GE-Power_W0QQitemZ260464578399QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadi o_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca4e60f5f#ht _2681wt_958]HERE[/link] goes - 2 x GE power 7.4V 900mAh 15C @ US$14.88 - the BEST lipos I've ever owned (see pic below).........

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. I agree with others - cool story....[sm=49_49.gif]
Edit: I've just had an after-thought[X(] Maybe the 54mm x 29mm x 14mm dimensions of these lipos DESIGNED FOR ESKY won't fit the CX2 - I don't know 'cause I don't have an Eflight Blade - so I would double check that![sm=regular_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26081.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1414617  
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
pgroom_68

Hi all!
Storm system coming here so no outside flyin'. Fired up the little Blade CX2 and flew in garage for about 5 minutes. ''Pugsly'' or time may have killed the ''Mega Power'' batteries but I suspect Pugsly as you all know, you have to stop flying before you kill the lipo.
Thoughts???
Rikybob

http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2945

HaHaHa Ken (said sarcastically). I thought you would try that again

P.S. Two things: 1. There are not very many new 2.4G BOLs around ATM (period!) - and 2. I scan the bookmarks daily BEFORE I attack my PMs and this forum - so I have "prior knowledge"[sm=wink_smile.gif]. Told you it was difficult to fool me twice![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
hdcharlie

Hi all!

Thoughts???

Rikybob

Ken

Hmmm! Sarcasm, huh?! Looks like I haven't been paying attention.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 AM
pgroom_68

Hey Charlie,

Yea. Those guys have been playing tricks providing a link to what I really want right now, a 2.4G BOL without Tx, and it is actually other products in disguise...... It's a bit childish really...................but we are all big kids![sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. Welcome to the game, and for the record I am not paying R/B 'a red cent' (weird idiom[sm=bananahead.gif]) - but maybe I should contract his services as a comedian[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 04-09-2010, 06:10 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hey Charlie,

Yea. Those guys have been playing tricks providing a link to what I really want right now, a 2.4G BOL without Tx, and it is actually other products in disguise...... It's a bit childish really...................but we are all big kids![sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. Welcome to the game, and for the record I am not paying R/B 'a red cent' (weird idiom[sm=bananahead.gif]) - but maybe I should contract his services as a comedian[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Hi again Peter,

Many thanx for the link but alas. Physics are against me. I ordered a couple of batts in the mean time that I know will work. It's funny. I can order big nice batts from Hobby King for very little money but they don't have any. These little batteries are high!

As for the above in bold to quote the "Three stooges": "...I resemble that remark!"

No, flying today as the front passes through. Ratz![:@]

Best to all!

R/B

PS. Just ordered 10 of [link=http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3227]these[/link]. They will be milled to make a new inner shaft. God love a Dremmel tool! Patriclupo is the man!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Edmund2

Burned off the balance of the L4 lipo that my wife left before I took the BOL outside. This time I really enjoyed flying it and there wasa wind of around 15kmh. Set it down and yanked the throttle up and it went upvery fast, got it lower and then did everything the training manual says about flying squares, figure 8's and landed where I wanted it to. Noticed the effect the wind had on it and if it slows down on forward movement against the headwind it rises. Then recalled a challenge earlier in the weekon the thread about doing a figure 8 in reverse, well it was not too difficult and felt very proud about achieving it. I had to stop forward movement to prevent it flying into a wall and as it started to fly back I just let it do the first half of thetop of the 8 and thenused rudder and aileron for he rest until it was backwhere it started, this over a 10m distance and about 4m wide.

Nowmy battery question, it is indicated that it will take about 2 hours to charge on the ESKY charger. I plugged theL4 and BOLbatteries into it's respective chargers. TheL4 one was stablegreen after 2 hours but the BOL one kepton going and a totalof 3 hours from start it was still flashing green. I could not leave it so I stopped the charger. Is it normal to take so long?

Edmund2

Old 04-09-2010, 06:38 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Edmund2
Nowmy battery question, it is indicated that it will take about 2 hours to charge on the ESKY charger. I plugged theL4 and BOLbatteries into it's respective chargers. TheL4 one was stablegreen after 2 hours but the BOL one kepton going and a totalof 3 hours from start it was still flashing green. I could not leave it so I stopped the charger. Is it normal to take so long?

Edmund2
Hi Edmund,

Sounds like a good flight!

Onto your lipo battery question. Between 3 and 4 hours is typical for the Esky charger & BOL lipo's.

I've had success with this charger. It charges a BOL lipo in less than 90mins. Seems to balance OK as well.

Looking forward to some good flying weather here at the weekend!

Simon

Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Edmund2

Then I just stopped it before it was fully charged, was just too beat to wait any longer. Now the next wait is for my modded BOL to come once they have stock as the order went through eventually. R/B's fast solution did the trick as well as the "rocket boosted" video I watched.

Had not had much luck over here either with the weather. Clouds started to lift early this morning and it closed up lunch time and it is raining again at the moment. So far this year we have had the highest rainfall in 34 years around here, yet a large portion of SA has a drought with almost no drinking water available.

Edmund2
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Edmund2

R/B, knowing what my LHS charged me for my BOL and checking the value of the items to get my BOL to the modded stage it was substantially cheaper to order the modded one.  Can now also see why you guys by birds & bits via direct order from major supplers. Obviously do not know what our government will hit for in taxes but that is a worry for later in the month.

Off to home in a few minutes and may just get on the box over the weekend to check out the posts. We are about 2 hours ahead in time to Simon but yes i will be leaving early today.

Edmund2

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Sky Soldier

Hey Edmund,

My charging experience is different from Simon's. On my 4 month old stock BOL, using stock charger and lipo, charging time is usually 90 mins. The longest charging time I've had is 2 hours. I've been getting flight times of 12 and 13 minutes. I usually land after 10 minutes so as not to over-drain the batt.

Thanks to the link provided by Peter, my voltage tester should be arriving soon and I'll be able to monitor my batteries more closely.

Happy Flying
Jerry
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Edmund2

Just having my fruit before I drive off (diabetic). My LHS has a Lipo tester available, will get one in the morning. Mine also used to charge the same period but I was then using my L4 charger being exactly the same as the one tha tcame with the BOL. I have no problem indication as described in the charger instructions in the BOL manual. Will pop it into the L4 charger when I get home which should not take long as it should be almost fully charged. May just fly it flat first then charge again. I did hoever ran it totally down last night for about 13 minutes flight as well.

Edmund2

Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Sky Soldier

Hey All,

Got to run 4 packs of night flying last night. The cheesy little LED nav lights that I strapped onto the landing skids looks cool and the spot lights from them along with the wired in landing lights really light up the ground. Hope to get some more flight time tonight.

Happy Flying
Jerry
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
sgbfly

Hi Jerry,

That's fair enough. I think its possible that there are 2 identical looking Esky chargers in circulation that perform differently. Several Esky parts seem to have changed over the last few months for BOL's including 2.4G rx's, frames, swashplates & 3in1's.

I was always confused by the Esky charger. The instructions said something like "warning: charge time can't exceed 120 minutes" and yet both of mine required 3hr+ !?

Simon

PS. Happy flying tonight!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Yw67224.pdf (2.75 MB, 15 views)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
rikybob

Burned off the balance of the L4 lipo that my wife left before I took the BOL outside. This time I really enjoyed flying it and there was a wind of around 15kmh. Set it down and yanked the throttle up and it went up very fast, got it lower and then did everything the training manual says about flying squares, figure 8's and landed where I wanted it to. Noticed the effect the wind had on it and if it slows down on forward movement against the headwind it rises. Then recalled a challenge earlier in the week on the thread about doing a figure 8 in reverse, well it was not too difficult and felt very proud about achieving it. I had to stop forward movement to prevent it flying into a wall and as it started to fly back I just let it do the first half of the top of the 8 and then used rudder and aileron for he rest until it was back where it started, this over a 10m distance and about 4m wide.

Now my battery question, it is indicated that it will take about 2 hours to charge on the ESKY charger. I plugged the L4 and BOL batteries into it's respective chargers. The L4 one was stable green after 2 hours but the BOL one kept on going and a total of 3 hours from start it was still flashing green. I could not leave it so I stopped the charger. Is it normal to take so long?

Edmund2

Then I just stopped it before it was fully charged, was just too beat to wait any longer. Now the next wait is for my modded BOL to come once they have stock as the order went through eventually. R/B's fast solution did the trick as well as the ''rocket boosted'' video I watched.

Had not had much luck over here either with the weather. Clouds started to lift early this morning and it closed up lunch time and it is raining again at the moment. So far this year we have had the highest rainfall in 34 years around here, yet a large portion of SA has a drought with almost no drinking water available.

Edmund2

R/B, knowing what my LHS charged me for my BOL and checking the value of the items to get my BOL to the modded stage it was substantially cheaper to order the modded one. Can now also see why you guys by birds & bits via direct order from major supplers. Obviously do not know what our government will hit for in taxes but that is a worry for later in the month.

Off to home in a few minutes and may just get on the box over the weekend to check out the posts. We are about 2 hours ahead in time to Simon but yes i will be leaving early today.

Edmund2

Just having my fruit before I drive off (diabetic). My LHS has a Lipo tester available, will get one in the morning. Mine also used to charge the same period but I was then using my L4 charger being exactly the same as the one tha tcame with the BOL. I have no problem indication as described in the charger instructions in the BOL manual. Will pop it into the L4 charger when I get home which should not take long as it should be almost fully charged. May just fly it flat first then charge again. I did hoever ran it totally down last night for about 13 minutes flight as well.

Edmund2

Hi again Edmund!

Wish I could get "The Princess" to fly but alas.

Dunno my charge rates. I, like my buddy Spiros, have 99 chargers and they finish when they finish!

I chose the "already modded" route as I as a matter of preference, like to fly more than tinker. Now if I had another BOL I might change my tune. Unfortuantly I went the CP route

I'm a type two on my end and am enjoying my mid morning snack!

Flew my resurrected Blade CX2 today in the garage and the very old batteries "gave up the ghost"! Snip, snip and now have extra JST plugs (for what, I don't know)!

Happy flyin', and thinkin' about flyin'

Rikybob

PS what does your workbench look like??
PSS NO straightening!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97268.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1414776  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Sky Soldier

Hey All,

Got to run 4 packs of night flying last night. The cheesy little LED nav lights that I strapped onto the landing skids looks cool and the spot lights from them along with the wired in landing lights really light up the ground. Hope to get some more flight time tonight.

Happy Flying
Jerry

Fun with the lights huh? Sometimes "cheesy" is good! I need to reinstall mine!

Glad you got to fly!

R/B
Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
sgbfly

(I) like to fly more than tinker. Now if I had another BOL I might change my tune.
Hi R/B,

Revalation time: I for the most part loath tinkering

If I was to get another BOL it would be so I could postpone the inevitable repairs

Whilst its true I have enjoyed the journey (especially the BL & boardless mod) my heart sinks when I crash hard and realise I have to replace (eg.) an outershaft gear. The prospect of getting back in the air is motivation enough though.

In other words what I am saying is tinkering to learn how something works and make it fly better as a result can be rewarding but its flying that really floats my boat. Anyone feel differently?

Simon
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
aircrash

Hi everybody,

So I went to an all about bearing store.
I asked for the swashplate bearing my metal kit has (yours may differ). I think I had seen it is a 6800z bearing.
I was told this one is one of the "special" (ouch) series... Well, I said, how special? 20 € retail price, you`ll get it for 4.9 €...

Hmm, OK -Isaid.
I`ll just buy another component that has the bearing installed, Isaid. Goodbye!
And so I did.
Bought a couple of EK1-0431... And I will not have to take off the bearing then install it (and it may be damaged).
I used also the gift coupon Ihad on Miracle-Mart and I`m more than happy.

Igoreski had suggested it, but Ithink someone had also in the past. And I think Ihave seen it can be installed on the BOL.

Spiros
Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

(I) like to fly more than tinker. Now if I had another BOL I might change my tune.
Hi R/B,

Revalation time: I for the most part loath tinkering [img][/img]

If I was to get another BOL it would be so I could postpone the inevitable repairs [img][/img]

Whilst its true I have enjoyed the journey (especially the BL & boardless mod) my heart sinks when I crash hard and realise I have to replace (eg.) an outershaft gear. The prospect of getting back in the air is motivation enough though.

In other words what I am saying is tinkering to learn how something works and make it fly better as a result can be rewarding but its flying that really floats my boat. [img][/img] Anyone feel differently?

Simon [img][/img]
Simon,

Dun, Dun, DUUUNNN!! STOP! I call shenanigans!!! [8D] With the amount of tinkering you do/did with the BOL I figured you for a perennial "tinkerer"?

I do alright tinkering but when I am done on a rebuild, I need a nap! Five hours on the BOL and two hours on the Blade CX2 the other day. Not to mention that after I crashed my SR it took me 5 hours as well! [:'(]

I feel a good sense of accomplishment when done (always amazed when the buggers actually fly!) but I really enjoy the flying! My time window for that is fairly short.

If all is well with the weather an hour in the morning and one in the evening is the standard! Sometimes I get a "treat" in the middle of the day but it is a rare occurence!

Now with more birds I have to divide the time up better!

Best to ya!

Rikybob

ps. I still don't believe you[>:]
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi everybody,

So I went to an all about bearing store.
I asked for the swashplate bearing my metal kit has (yours may differ). I think I had seen it is a 6800z bearing.
I was told this one is one of the ''special'' (ouch) series... Well, I said, how special? 20 € retail price, you`ll get it for 4.9 €...

Hmm, OK -I said.
I`ll just buy another component that has the bearing installed, I said. Goodbye!
And so I did.
Bought a couple of EK1-0431... And I will not have to take off the bearing then install it (and it may be damaged).
I used also the gift coupon I had on Miracle-Mart and I`m more than happy.

Igoreski had suggested it, but I think someone had also in the past. And I think I have seen it can be installed on the BOL.

Spiros
Hi again Spiros,

Heck, I didn't know there was a bearing store??? Who knew. I guess with those prices they "see you coming"!

Hope all is well in your world. When are you gonna fly????

(See Simons post above. I suspect you like to tinker more than fly)

Yer virtual pal,

R/B

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.