Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM
aircrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hi Rikybob,

Still want to get a Tx, huh?
I understand. This will give a "pro" feeling and you`ll get busy with all the stuff it has.
I can only say: in the worst case you can always sell it, so why not, take one!

(I have hijacked Spiro`s account, real Spiros would have said to forget about the Tx and buy spare parts = more flying time with the SR)

Hi Jerry,

I had one voltage indicator. I had tested it in different batteries along with a digital multimeter. It seems it has good accuracy.
My three new voltage indicators have a quite big tolerance, especially one of them, and especially the big difference is to one cell (so you may think the charger is overcharging this cell or that it is not balancing the cells).
I had seen they mention they are meant for quick reference and not an accurate measurement, but the photo is showing it is just like my old good voltage indicator I have, with high accuracy. But I got a bit different ones than mine or to the photo of the item is listed, quite similar but a few SMTcomponents are located in a different location (showing it is a different make).
You can see there are too many designs there, that have optical differences, as I had said some posts ago.

I think Peter had said about this one. This mention about a 0.03V accuracy. Still differs in the looks from my good old one.

So in any case don`t be afraid if you see 4.30V, it may be 4.23V...

Spiros

Old 04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi Rikybob,

Still want to get a Tx, huh?
I understand. This will give a ''pro'' feeling and you`ll get busy with all the stuff it has.
I can only say: in the worst case you can always sell it, so why not, take one!

(I have hijacked Spiro`s account, real Spiros would have said to forget about the Tx and buy spare parts = more flying time with the SR)

Spiros

Hi Sprios,

In bold above IS FUNNY!!!!

Yah, I don't need a new tx but just thinking about IF I keep the SR or if I sell it. How I should go. I have some parts they sent me and are good and may sell on the boards. I dunno. Undecided.

What I do know is that Simon queried us about whether one is a flyer or tinkerer or likes both equally.

Which are you???

R/B
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

My one and only experience with a bearing shop was very similar. The bearings were for my old VW btw.

Hi R/B,

Really enjoy your writing style matey. Hopefully my BOL will be airborne in a couple of hours. Lipos are charged ready .

Simon
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
aircrash

Hi again Rikybob,

Yes, in my country there are lots of such stores. For such a small country we have lots of. As we have lots of beach, mountains, sun, villages and so on. For example Germany has no sea, Holland has no mountains (or must have none), England has no sun, and NY has no villages.
They sell only bearings and seals. And they have all the bearings, common, special that are used only to one component, and such.
They have every type available.
Some are official SKF distributors, and some have all the other makes. I like NTN bearings though.

We used to repair things than just trash them and replace them with a spare part. Now it is more expensive to fix something (both components and workmanship) than replace it.
You see new cars, with 1000kms milleage, crash, pouf the airbags, the bumper and the refrigerators, along with some few other little parts and they are gone... for tin cans... cars turned to baked beans... lol
That`s how I did also to my swashplate. Why bother with it when with 50 euro cents more I got a complete swashplate? (hmm, the bearing I would have bought has a lot better quality than the one the swashplate has, but who cares... if it is good for a Belt-CP then it is excellent for the BOL)

Spiros
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Hi Spiros,

My one and only experience with a bearing shop was very similar. The bearings were for my old VW btw.

Hi R/B,

Really enjoy your writing style matey. Hopefully my BOL will be airborne in a couple of hours. Lipos are charged ready [img][/img].

Simon [img][/img]

Simon,

I am ever-so-slightly jealous about the flyin' thing. None tha AM and will be working here in a few hours!

Best to all!

R/B
Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
aircrash

Hi Simon,

Isn`t it late (after one hour) for flying? Or is it going to be a night flight as the previous nice night flight with the navi leds?
You are on GMT+1, I`m on GMT+2, we are too close.

Spiros
Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
sgbfly

Hi Simon,

Isn`t it late (after one hour) for flying? Or is it going to be a night flight as the previous nice night flight with the navi leds?
You are on GMT+1, I`m on GMT+2, we are too close.

Spiros
Hi Spiros,

I flew at dusk. At 7:30 with the chickens & finished at 8:30 with the bats (& Nav lights) Now the race is on to charge my lipo's for tomorrow

Simon

Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
pgroom_68

I had one voltage indicator. I had tested it in different batteries along with a digital multimeter. It seems it has good accuracy.
My three new voltage indicators have a quite big tolerance, especially one of them, and especially the big difference is to one cell (so you may think the charger is overcharging this cell or that it is not balancing the cells).
I had seen they mention they are meant for quick reference and not an accurate measurement, but the photo is showing it is just like my old good voltage indicator I have, with high accuracy. But I got a bit different ones than mine or to the photo of the item is listed, quite similar but a few SMT components are located in a different location (showing it is a different make).
You can see there are too many designs there, that have optical differences, as I had said some posts ago.
I think Peter had said about this one. This mention about a 0.03V accuracy. Still differs in the looks from my good old one.
So in any case don`t be afraid if you see 4.30V, it may be 4.23V...
ORIGINAL: sgbfly
Whilst its true I have enjoyed the journey (especially the BL & boardless mod) my heart sinks when I crash hard and realise I have to replace (eg.) an outershaft gear. The prospect of getting back in the air is motivation enough though.
In other words what I am saying is tinkering to learn how something works and make it fly better as a result can be rewarding but its flying that really floats my boat. Anyone feel differently?
Yes, in my country there are lots of such stores. For such a small country we have lots of. As we have lots of beach, mountains, sun, villages and so on. For example Germany has no sea, Holland has no mountains (or must have none), England has no sun, and NY has no villages.
They sell only bearings and seals. And they have all the bearings, common, special that are used only to one component, and such.
They have every type available.
Some are official SKF distributors, and some have all the other makes. I like NTN bearings though.
ORIGINAL: rikybob
Dunno my charge rates. I, like my buddy Spiros, have 99 chargers and they finish when they finish!
I chose the "already modded" route as I as a matter of preference, like to fly more than tinker. Now if I had another BOL I might change my tune. Unfortuantly I went the CP route
Hey again R/B,

I can't get my "sigificant other" interested either. The closest I have got is to give her 3 x Esky BOL lipos and 3 x [link=http://www.rtf-heli.com/Connectors.html]on/off push switches[/link] (bottom of page), {along with the wires and plugs} and wired up strips of LED lights for some of her fish tanks
I prefer a RTF model over a ARF model with one exception - I seem to be accumulating Tx! D@mn. (see pic below)

Yip, Spiros. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/5x-Li-Po-Battery-Voltage-Indicator-Checker-Tester_W0QQitemZ280483625386QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRad io_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414e2079aa]THAT[/link] was my super accurate first one (checked with a multimeter). I also got an accurate one as a replacement for a DOA part of [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280402438321&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4259wt_948]THIS[/link] set of three "kit" (from Seemmy999) - so I can't explain it[sm=red_smile.gif][sm=confused.gif]
I assume there are different batches out there in HongKong-world with different tolerances - and it is very difficult to predict which product you will get. O well, we can only try-and-buy from a peer-tried seller - AND HOPE IT TURNS OUT FOR THE BEST

Anyway, we are talking about a few cappucinos ($-wise) usually..........................

In your second post above you say what each country doesn't have - here in Australia we DO have them all - like Greece! (We are really blessed here). In fact I was just in "Bearings World" here in Sydney yesterday looking for some replacement SKFs for ends of the steel rollers fore and aft of the mowing deck (slashing deck pulled behind the tractor when mowing a field[sm=wink_smile.gif]).

Hey again Simon,

That is how I feel also - with one diff'rence! WHEN I nose into the ground at 300km/h I say "Bugger. That model was passing it's use-by date anyway", and if there happened to be anyone watching - I turn to them and take a huge prolonged bow....[sm=regular_smile.gif][sm=49_49.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46947.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1415089  
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Sky Soldier

Hey R/B,

No night flights tonight, wind! bugger! The little led's were sold as party lights with a velcro ring for fingers or whatever. Works good wrapped on the skid struts for the scale flying that I do.

I have to agree with you. I was horrified to read Simon is not a 'tinkerer'. Before this, I had always trusted what 'Simon Sez'.

For my part, I like tinkering, but prefer to fly. I need a second BOL so I can keep flying while one is cooling or being rebuilt. The walkera 53q3 has filled that need, but lately have thought about chasing airplanes with it, like your neighbor, and salvaging the leds from that crash to put on the BOL.

Hey Simon,

Instructions for charging? I thought this was plug-n-play. I didn't know you needed to read about it. Bugger! Someone's always messin with my play time.

Your in-depth guide for brushless conversion, presented in such a professional format, does not agree with your statement of not liking tinkering, be it mechanical or computing. Everything else you have written has been really informative. hope you keep up the good work, Mate.

Hey Spiros,

Thanks for your reply. I can trust you to get right to the heart of the matter.

Calm winds and Good flying,
Jerry

Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Edmund2

R/B, for a non tinkering man you do have the place to do so if you want to. I plugged the BOL lipo in last night and three minutes laterI got constant green so no problem. Have my mother visiting this weekend so flying may be very limited if any at all. Waether cleared over here after a weekof unusual rain and wind for a mostgloriuos morning. If I get my shcedule right I may just get two lipos in tomorrow morning.

Edmund2
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

R/B, for a non tinkering man you do have the place to do so if you want to. I plugged the BOL lipo in last night and three minutes later I got constant green so no problem. Have my mother visiting this weekend so flying may be very limited if any at all. Waether cleared over here after a week of unusual rain and wind for a most gloriuos morning. If I get my shcedule right I may just get two lipos in tomorrow morning.

Edmund2
Hi again Edmond,

That is my "work bench" in the garage. I rarely work there as it is not heated or air conditioned. I just use it to charge batteries and keep the helis out from under "The Princesses" feet. I now am the proud owner of about 300 lipos (ok, 14) and have commissioned a "charging vessel" that I will take delivery of soon and will post a pic thereof.

When I work on my heli I use the "bar" that seperates my living room from my dining room. It is a perfect height to work on things. Bad lighting though, I need to find a "visor light" that I think "Ken" acquired sometime back. I think it was 10 whole bux!
I have a very nice 18' X 15' lanai by my pool that has not been "closed" in that I have been "eyeballing as a hobby room. Just ran it by "The Princess" as I write and she didn't shoot the idea down! Hmmmmmm

As for "mom" visiting. I have decided that the entire world can "kiss my butt" for 1 hour at sunrise and sunset. Just about no mater what I am doing. I should have those time "windows" and be excused. Supper, friends, visitors can come watch. But I am going flying!

I think Peter had a grand idea in reference to crashing. If I crash in front of someone like I did at the music festival, literally a straight dive from 75' to the dirt (I had two witnesses) next time I am not going to walk over as if my dog just got hit by a truck. I am going to take a deep, protracted bow and the get my babies carcass.

Simon,

Glad you got to fly!

Jerry,

Your insight and writing are coming along nicely. "I was horrified to read that....." That's funny!

Rikybob
Old 04-10-2010, 08:42 AM
pgroom_68

I should have those time ''windows'' and be excused. Supper, friends, visitors can come watch. But I am going flying!
I think Peter had a grand idea in reference to crashing. If I crash in front of someone like I did at the music festival, literally a straight dive from 75' to the dirt (I had two witnesses) next time I am not going to walk over as if my dog just got hit by a truck. I am going to take a deep, protracted bow and the get my babies carcass.
Hey again R/B,

ROFLOL That brings back memories.........[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM
sgbfly

Hi Guy's,

Well I managed to get 7 lipo's charged for this morning. Had an absolute blast chasing an RC car. Even the sun was out

Started off hoping to do some AP with the Cam on-board but there was a little breeze that the xtreme blades could not handle. Indeed I needed full forward cyclic just to maintain position so the video is poor. Swapped back to Walkera 400D blades after 2 lipo's and no such problems. Had the cap cam on for the 7th and last lipo. I've attached a few stills captured from the video below. What do you think to the FFF one? (3rd pic) If my cap had been aiming higher I would have been able to share some aggressive turns but alas it as aiming low.

Might see if I can share a video with you all. There might even be a different "chicken" in there somewhere and a mayday in the woods

Happy flying!

Simon

PS. Who stole the date in the third pic? R/B was it you lol! I've not edited the picture but maybe the date is not on every frame. Spooky!

Name:	Db86372.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1415356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32643.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1415357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61602.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1415358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31787.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1415359  
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Buz

Hello to all!

I repaired the servo that came loose in one of my BOL's... and it sure flies a lot better! Got a couple of packs through it yesterday afternoon. I still haven't repaired my Blade... but my CB100 was ready to fly last evening.
It's so hard to go back to your old skills... especially flying a single rotor. I took it outside and crashed twice trying to take off. Then it dawned on me that this heli is like the BOL... it wants to get off the ground fast.
So, I set it on the sidewalk....and punched the throttle. It jumped up about 2 ft.... and stayed there! In less than 45 seconds, I was flying it all over the yard, flying sideways, backwards.... and nose in. If you just bite a bullet and get it off the ground... the rest is easy. The little CB100 is faster than the BOL. It's all brushless including the tail motor. If you give it a bit of aileron during a turn, it banks hard... looks so good to see the top of the rotor.

I'll try to get a video when I fly it today. Everyone should have one of these!! I had it up about 80 ft or so.... what a cool little bird! Feels really good getting back to single rotor flight.

More later,

Buzz
Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
aircrash

Hi Buzz,

This little bird seems nice, brushless motors, newly designed flybar, and so on.
But is it any capable of outdoors flight?
It`s a mini heli with only 66g all up weight.

I can`t think this bird can fly outdoors.

We wait for a video!

Spiros
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
rikybob

Hiya all!

No flyin' here. Too windy for me, however met with a friend on the job who brought his Trex 450! Mother of god its beautiful! Daddy wants!!!

To compare it with my Blade SR 250 it is similar in size but unbelieveably responsive! He flew it, and I am not making this up, in a 20kt. wind, no problem! Amazing!

He as been after me to get shed of my tx and go with a Spektrum DX6i and I see now that with my SR and any step I take next I need to part with the 129bux![8D]

I think (think) I am going to keep my Blade SR and get rid of the weights on the flybar and do a "bearing mod" to the "O" rings that decrease responsivness to the blades on the Bell head in a measure to get MORE responsiveness. I think the characterization that it flys like a marshmello is accurate! [>:]

All the while, I will continue to fly my trusty BOL (a little "on" topic tidbit)![X(]

None the less to fly a helo outside in a brisk wind is UNREAL![X(]

Many regards all!

Rikybob
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
patricklupo

I've had aservo come loose while in flight and suspect it'sfairly common withthe BOL. I think the heat from the motors inside the canopy weakens the servo tape. When mine came loose it wason the elevator servo and the heli just kept going forward even with full reverse stick until it hit a tree (the whole time Iwas thinking what's wrongnow!). After replacing the servo tape, I secured both servos with two zip ties connected togther and a bit of CA to hold them in place. No more ejectingservos from now on...hopefully.

ORIGINAL: Buz

Hello to all!

I repaired the servo that came loose in one of my BOL's... and it sure flies a lot better! Got a couple of packs through it yesterday afternoon. I still haven't repaired my Blade... but my CB100 was ready to fly last evening.
It's so hard to go back to your old skills... especially flying a single rotor. I took it outside and crashed twice trying to take off. Then it dawned on me that this heli is like the BOL... it wants to get off the ground fast.
So, I set it on the sidewalk....and punched the throttle. It jumped up about 2 ft.... and stayed there! In less than 45 seconds, I was flying it all over the yard, flying sideways, backwards.... and nose in. If you just bite a bullet and get it off the ground... the rest is easy. The little CB100 is faster than the BOL. It's all brushless including the tail motor. If you give it a bit of aileron during a turn, it banks hard... looks so good to see the top of the rotor.

I'll try to get a video when I fly it today. Everyone should have one of these!! I had it up about 80 ft or so.... what a cool little bird! Feels really good getting back to single rotor flight.

More later,

Buzz
Old 04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
aircrash

Hello everybody,

I said I could share how I charge my batteries.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_do0lNPyKKQ[/youtube]

Such a solution can make your flying skills better (well, do not put your money on this) as it will let you have more batteries available in fully charged condition = more flights per day = more practice ( = more crashes ).

Of course take care!

Spiros

Name:	Db84473.jpg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1415517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62885.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1415518  
Old 04-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Buz

Hi Buzz,

This little bird seems nice, brushless motors, newly designed flybar, and so on.
But is it any capable of outdoors flight?
It`s a mini heli with only 66g all up weight.

I can`t think this bird can fly outdoors.
[img][/img]

We wait for a video!

Spiros
Yes, the flyboar system puts the fly bar at a 45 degree angle to the blades. It is a very stable little heli.

Do not believe what you hear about "It can't be flown outdoors". Just like the Lamas, if you wait until the wind dies, the CB100 will fly even better outdoors. As I said in my earlier post... last evening I was up at least 80 ft, flying around with no problems. I'll try to get a video to show you how well it flies. I flew a battery through it last evening ...outside. Once you get the feel for it, it's almost as easy as flying a BOL. It has been windy here... as R/B noted. But, the wind will drop off around 7pm... still plenty of light, and I'll try to get my wife to shoot a video of it. IMHO, THIS is the helicopter you should get as your first step toward single flight. It's a lot heavier than it sounds....and has plenty of power to fly into the wind. I am so glad I got this little one. Now on to the Blade.... then a TREX 450, and after that I should be able to fly the giant scale AH6. The Trex is being assembled for me now.
[>:][:-]
Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Leethetreeguy

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and trying to catch up. From what I have read so far, you all sound like a wonderfull group. I have a bl BOL with a micro cam. I use a clip with velcro to mount it on the battery tray under the copter. Still get some vibration though. I am working on that. I have several videos on youtube. Leethetreeguy. If any of you are interested. I suggest to any of you out there that has not done it, to goop or hot glue your antenna wire in place. Two of mine have detached themselves allready. They are diffifcult to find. Just thought I would introduce myself and maybe contribute a little. Happy Flying. Lee
Old 04-10-2010, 03:39 PM
kiwigeoff

Rikybob

PS what does your workbench look like??
PSS NO straightening!!!!

RB,

Iwill respond to your challange. Photo of my bench with a broken BOL ! Charger rack behind on wallwith allLipos and chargers sitting in a oven proof (heat proof) dish.

I suffered the Death Dive today with the standard BOL. Flying fine, then at 60 ' inbound , with slight right rudder and slight right aileron it seem to stall in mid air then tore into the ground , with absolutely no response from me. Bent the new A shaft , bent the new flybar and broke 1 A blade off completely and tore up the other on. Fuselage is really messy now, with holes in it, but the bird is back together after a complete strip and rebuild this afternoon.Right after the crash I checked battery voltages and all cells at 3.85 so no apparent rational for the crash. The battery monitor had not gone off either - so its a death dive clasification in my mind.

All ,
Hope you are getting some fine windless weather. The only time here seems 05:30 - 07:00 in the morning so that counts out weekdays for me as I have an early commute.

Name:	Hf99384.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1415528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63536.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1415529  
Old 04-10-2010, 03:45 PM
kiwigeoff

Leethetreeguy,

Welcome! The guys are great and have a wealth of knowledge. If you have read 50% of the posts you are brave man , as the forum rips along, faster than Spiros can buy stuff from Miracle Mart

Geoff
Old 04-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: kiwigeoff

Leethetreeguy,

Welcome! The guys are great and have a wealth of knowledge. If you have read 50% of the posts you are brave man , as the forum rips along, faster than Spiros can buy stuff from Miracle Mart [img][/img]

Geoff

Hi, Lee. Please stay in the forum with us because it sounds like you are a tree guy and you must have a huge bucket truck we can use to find helicopters stuck in trees.

Welcome! In this thread you will learn to crash your BOL and repair it.... and crash it again ....and repair it. But the mind meld here is incredible. Ask any question and you'll probably get a couple of answers. We have two real clowns in here that will keep you entertained also. One of them is Ricky/Bob.... .. I can't remember who the other one is.

If I post a picture of my workbench as it now sits.... you will all have apoplectic seizures. LOL Getting ready to go fly the CB100.... Videowife is on the scene. I'm waiting for my camera to charge up.
This thing flies like a huge scale heli.... but it is smooth as glass and very stable. I've never used this camera before....so hopefully we'll get it set on video. (I don't think this tiny camera battery will ever finish charging!)

More in a bit....

Buzz

Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 PM
rikybob

Patrick,
Next time I pull my cabin off, its the ole ziptie trick! Seriously![8D]

Spiros, RUN there is a Giant Octopus in your house!
Ps amazingly clean tile!

Buz,

I agree, having spent to time with the 250 size SR, there prolly IS a missing link![]

Lee,
You seem somehow familiar, have we corresponded previously???
Glad to have you "over here"!

Kiwigeoff,

I have 3 confirmed "death dives" that I had NOTHING to do with other than a little "sprity flyin'". It is very disappointing when this happens as you figger it could take a little hard flying. But alas, it is not in its design to "bank".[:@]
PS nice what at Spiros and MM!
PSS I read EVERY post before buying the BOL and am glad I did. I read EVERY POST on the Walkera Lama thread. This crazy Scott touted it as the "best coaxial bird in the world". Six weeks later he was CRYING that it was a POS!
ps sorry about yer crash!

Time to go out with friends and play catch up! I will miss flying this PM[:@] Fun stuff!

Rikybob

Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 PM
rikybob

Buzz,

Post the workbench, post it!!!

Prolly looks either like a NASA clean room (right)

or a really bad car wreck!!

Good luck flying/filming. If dinner is boring I will be reading the fourm![:@]

R/B

EDIT: CB100 is a cool lookin' bird!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.