Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 AM
mikew77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hey again Michael,

Couldn't resist mate - my suggestion is one of THESE
Seriously, I think you could handle the build & it has cheap, readily available parts - I could PM you a list of things to get from HongKong! The bird is available now and only takes three days to get to you from NSW warehouse (I could go on [img]../../../upfiles/smiley/wink_smile.gif[/img] )......but I won't poach you any further - except to say it is a great CP learner [img]../../../upfiles/smiley/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Peter [img]../../../upfiles/smiley/shades_smile.gif[/img]
Hi Peter

I might have a go and yes please could you pm the list of parts to get (the parts you used) as i think cp would be the next step.  I was looking at the honey bee cpx, or honey bee ct, or even the blade sr to start of with though as i heard these are a great beginner cp helicopter.

He will need another coffee table soon .lo
LOL, already thought of that so i bought 2 of these coffee tables today.  Thought having a spare one would make sense because my helicopter collection just keeps on growing.

Michael   

Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 AM
rusty63

Hey Mikew 77 , ps . Have you tried switching esc.. s between your Helis . Are they positioned differently ? Heat rises especially in our humid climate perhaps newer fuselage entrapping heat more . But first off , perhaps take pretty blue cover off . Give it a Fly see if that eliminates heating / gyro issues . re next Heli , i see you have cb180 . I agree with Peter , Go the hk/copterx etc way with good electronics .
Old 11-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Edmund2

Should you Ausie guys not be sleeping by now????. Had a fantastic flying day, 14 lipos in total on the 4 birds.
Brian, first barrel roll done with the CP -very high up- just wished I had a camera to video it !!!!!!!!! Switched the switch back very quickly though. Then had a beer.

Edmund
Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Should you Ausie guys not be sleeping by now????. Had a fantastic flying day, 14 lipos in total on the 4 birds.
Brian, first barrel roll done with the CP -very high up- just wished I had a camera to video it !!!!!!!!! Switched the switch back very quickly though. Then had a beer.

Edmund
Edmund that is FANTASTIC!!

b
Old 11-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Brian, first barrel roll done with the CP -very high up- just wished I had a camera to video it !!!!!!!!! Switched the switch back very quickly though. Then had a beer.

Edmund
Edmund that is FANTASTIC!!

b

What's even more fantastic is the fact that you flew into your garage and crashed? Was there a car in there? You seem to be attracted to cars too.

Congrats on the barrel roll, Edmund!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Edmund,

Yeah mate!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Yes dad, I'm off to bed now[sm=sleeping.gif] (it is 2:15am)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM
rusty63

Brian, first barrel roll done with the CP -very high up- just wished I had a camera to video it!!!!!!!!!Switched the switch back very quickly though. Then had a beer.

Edmund
Not this Aussie . Im bit of a nite type of guy .[Witch ] CP Heli ? Yes camera shots please . Any chance of pictures of market you have mentioned is interesting . Your Southern Hemisphere [correspondent ]. lol.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:35 AM
rusty63

Hi Peter , Perhaps where the sun shines in your part of Australia . Us Queenslanders get too sleep in ,an extra hour . nite nite buddy .
Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 PM
mikew77

Go the hk/copterx etc way with good electronics 
Hi rusty63

I bought the 18amp turnigy plush series from hobbyking, and i have ordered the 25amp plush series from hobbyking too.  There are no heat issues with my red big lama running the 25amp esc so i think 18amps is not enough to run both brushless motors in my blue big lama.

Peter

Thanks mate for your email detailing the parts needed to build HK-450GT.  I noticed the heli kit is on backorder but this could a nice project to work on.  I havent had to much experience with cp helis (as you can see i prefer coaxial helis) but my cb180d is really easy to fly.  From what everyone else is saying i have to learn someday and spend as little as possible because i think i might be buying a lot of replacement parts until i can fly it without crashing.

To everyone this forum has provided me a lot of information and i thank everyone for there input.  I just can not stop buying helis for some reason hehehe (i think my second coffee table will be in use soon).  If my collection keeps growing i might need a bigger house to live in lol

Michael  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
mikew77

Hi Peter

Just looked at all the parts required to build the hk-450gt (including the helicopter kit) and i was amazed at how cheap it is.  Added them all up and it came to $186.88 (before postage)  that is AMAZING value for a cp helicopter.  I can see now why so many people like this helicopter.  This works out cheaper than a esky or walkera cp helicopter any day. 

Just got to wait for them to restock the all the parts though

I am still think of getting a honeybee cpx, or honeybee ct or even a blade sr on top of this though   Any suggestions on which one??

Michael  
Old 11-21-2010, 12:01 AM
rusty63

I am still think of getting a honeybee cpx, or honeybee ct or even a blade sr on top of this though Any suggestions on which one??

Michael

[/quote]
Hey Michael thank you for opportunity too spend your money . lol. If you can hang back a little should be some good deals Jan / Feb . The problem with getting a Blade sr isadding another Transmitter to the mix . Unless your going spectrum compatable with Hk450 .?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Rusty63
The problem with getting a Blade sr is adding another Transmitter to the mix . Unless your going spectrum compatable with Hk450 .?
Hey again Michael,

...exactly what Russell said!

P.S. My advice is: save for a few weeks and HobbyKing's AUS Warehouse will restock the actual bird - order those products that HobbyKing's HongKong Warehouse has in stock - & add your email to the alerts for the products that you want that are on backorder - done![sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
P.P.S. Shameless "poach" - Rob (handle: Rob2160) is doing marvelous things with his HK-450 GT on [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10052781/mpage_13/tm.htm]THIS[/link] thread.......!!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 AM
rusty63

Hi Michael , Just checked out Honeybee cpx / ct . Nice Helis but im not impressed with brushed 370 motors .. Famous and Legendary as these motors are .They deserve five stars for many non pilot error mishaps . There well known qualities been too seize up at the most opportune moment . 100% percent this will happen when Flying . So far i have reasonable reliability out of mine on Big lama . But only after i drowned them in water too break them in . I certainly still dont total trust them . Ive broken many parts because of them . my 2 cents Russell
Old 11-21-2010, 04:19 AM
mikew77

Peter [img]../../../upfiles/smiley/shades_smile.gif[/img]
P.S. My advice is: save for a few weeks and HobbyKing's AUS Warehouse will restock the actual bird
Hi Peter

Hmmm i was think of going a small scale cp helicopter to start off with, that is why i am thing about getting the honey bees or the blade sr to start of with.  Then after i have learnt how to fly those, bring on the hk450gt kit

You mentioned in your email about getting either glass fiber or carbon fiber blades which would be the better blade to get?  Does the hk450gt heli kit come with blades?

he problem with getting a Blade sr is adding another Transmitter to the mix .
I dont mind having another transmitter as i have 7 transmitters already.  I have always liked the blade sr as i have seen on some videos it is easy to control.   

Michael
Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: mikew77
Peter [img][/img]
P.S. My advice is: save for a few weeks and HobbyKing's AUS Warehouse will restock the actual bird
Hi Peter

Hmmm i was think of going a small scale cp helicopter to start off with, that is why i am thing about getting the honey bees or the blade sr to start of with. Then after i have learnt how to fly those, bring on the hk450gt kit

You mentioned in your email about getting either glass fiber or carbon fiber blades which would be the better blade to get? Does the hk450gt heli kit come with blades?
Hey again Michael,

Yip - there of course are blades included in the HK-450GT kit - but they can't take much abuse. IMO they are the weakest link[] in this well-priced kit[sm=thumbs_up.gif] - thus the advice to order Glass Fiber (cheaper option) or Carbon Fiber (better but more expensive) 325mm blades.
I found a 24hour offer of CF blades a while back and ordered a sets of [link=http://www.walkera-parts.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=12208]main blades[/link] & [link=http://www.walkera-parts.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=BL-TP-62-C-02&osCsid=hnidre9v11cndmge78oo8bjq44&x=44&y=9]tail blades[/link]! (Don't order these - now that the offer has finished they are back to full price)
I strongly suggest that you wait until HobbyKing's HongKong warehouse restocks to order the blades. If you can't wait that long order the (more expensive but easier to view[sm=wink_smile.gif]) Align black & white [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_202_218&products_id=5238]CF Rotor Blades[/link] designed for the 450 Pro....!
Inferior but slightly cheaper are [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_202_218&products_id=3387]THESE[/link] glass fiber blades also.

P.S. Failing all of the above, just add a a HB CPX to your coffee tables........[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 AM
mikew77

Yip - there of course are blades included in the HK-450GT kit - but they can't take much abuse. IMO they are the weakest link in this well-priced kit
Hi peter

What about the tail blades, are they any good in the kit, or are they just like the main blades (cant take any abuse)

P.S. Failing all of the above, just add a a HB CPX to your coffee tables........
Well i was thinking of getting a basic cp first, then for sure getting the hk450gt kit after i have mastered cp flying. See i dont want to spend all my time and effort in build this beautiful looking helicopter only for me to crash it. Miracle mart has the HB CT for US$135, while rc711 has the HB CPX for US$140. The blade Sr is US199 though but more controlable. Just make sense to me to buy something basic then progress to the larger hk450gt.

Michael
Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 AM
pgroom_68

Yip - there of course are blades included in the HK-450GT kit - but they can't take much abuse. IMO they are the weakest link [img][/img] in this well-priced kit
Hi peter
What about the tail blades, are they any good in the kit, or are they just like the main blades (cant take any abuse)
P.S. Failing all of the above, just add a a HB CPX to your coffee tables........
Well i was thinking of getting a basic cp first, then for sure getting the hk450gt kit after i have mastered cp flying. See i dont want to spend all my time and effort in build this beautiful looking helicopter only for me to crash it. Miracle mart has the HB CT for US$135, while rc711 has the HB CPX for US$140. The blade Sr is US199 though but more controlable. Just make sense to me to buy something basic then progress to the larger hk450gt.
Hey again Michael,

It depends on whether you smack the ground heaps when learning or not - ie "how timid you are". Mostly the tail blades are good.
I see your point - but it is cheaper to replace parts on a HK-450GT (usually with original Align parts) than the expensive and hard to obtain Blade SR parts![sm=sad_smile.gif] Seriously, if you compare prices of spare parts & what's readily available the SR is not a good option - so IMHO that option should "go by the wayside"

I must confess I don't know much about the HB CT - but there is only 10 spare part available for it at Miracle-mart[X(]
If you were going to buy one of these, may I suggest the HB CPX as (not the top option - that is the BOL[sm=regular_smile.gif]) "lesser of two evils" as more is known about it and there are more spare parts available (not including the out of stock items)

P.S. You could even start your own "build" thread just for the Honeybee CPX[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
P.P.S. Nothing compares to the satisfaction of building your own bird and seeing it fly properly.....!!! And you KNOW that everything is as it should be....!!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM
rikybob

Hi all!

I literally had to scroll up to the top of the page here to be certain what thread I was on![sm=50_50.gif]

Great advice given here![sm=thumbup.gif]

I have actual experience with the evolution and won't bore you with my links to other forums/threads![sm=wink_smile.gif]

I did the coaxial to CP evolution and made the semi-mistake of stopping at the Blade SR. The machine itself is inexpensive but plan to spend again the price in spares, easily.[:'(]

The 450 class weights about a kilo with battery and is MUCH more stable to fly!

There is another forum where you might find a sheer genius by the name of Finless Bob who has complete build videos for your purusal. Additionally there is yet another, Mikey's RC that can help you build the least expensive 450 on the web!!

Good luck on your transition and learn from those who have walked before you and don't waste your time and "muscle memory" on smaller versions of aircraft if you are serious about your progression!

Best to all![8D]

Brian
[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/b4566bb?feature=mhum]Coaxial to CP evolution![/link]

PS Main rotors are spinning around 2800 rpm/ tail blades are spinning 1100rpm!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 AM
mikew77

If you were going to buy one of these, may I suggest the HB CPX as (not the top option - that is the BOL [img]../../../upfiles/smiley/regular_smile.gif[/img] ) "lesser of two evils" as more is known about it and there are more spare parts available (not including the out of stock items )
Hi Peter

What you said makes sense too.  As you said the cpx has more spare parts than the CT, and they are cheap, while the blade sr is more expensive to buy and their spare parts are not cheap as well.  So i think you have made my mind up and the Honey Bee CPX will be my next helicopter.  After mastering that i will be building the hk450gt.

The last time i flew a cp helicopter i was leaning it to much and crashed sideways.  I must get use to the controls as for coaxial helis (in mode 1) the left stick turns the helicopter while the same stick in cp helis tilts the heli left or right.  This is where i am having trouble with cp atm   Must get use to a 6 channel transmitter with a helicopter that has a lot of spare parts (i will crash for sure), but over time i will get use to it. 

I was very fortunate to learn how to fly a coaxial in no time at all, so let hope i can do the same with a cp one

Michael      
Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Buz

If you were going to buy one of these, may I suggest the HB CPX as (not the top option - that is the BOL [img][/img] ) ''lesser of two evils'' as more is known about it and there are more spare parts available (not including the out of stock items [img][/img] )
Hi Peter

What you said makes sense too. As you said the cpx has more spare parts than the CT, and they are cheap, while the blade sr is more expensive to buy and their spare parts are not cheap as well. So i think you have made my mind up and the Honey Bee CPX will be my next helicopter. After mastering that i will be building the hk450gt.

The last time i flew a cp helicopter i was leaning it to much and crashed sideways. I must get use to the controls as for coaxial helis (in mode 1) the left stick turns the helicopter while the same stick in cp helis tilts the heli left or right. This is where i am having trouble with cp atm Must get use to a 6 channel transmitter with a helicopter that has a lot of spare parts (i will crash for sure), but over time i will get use to it.

I was very fortunate to learn how to fly a coaxial in no time at all, so let hope i can do the same with a cp one

Michael

Hi Mike,

I was reading along and I believe you made a good decision not to mess with the Blade SR. I sold mine because parts were so expensive. Peter is correct about the lower costs for the 450 sized helicopter.

Your explanation of controls in mode 1 confuses me. If I tried mode 1 I'd be in the dirt in a split second! lol With a mode 2 four channel transmitter, tail rotor and throttle are on the left... all other cyclic inputs are on the right.

Buzz
Old 11-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Edmund2

Rusty, attached pic's refer. Size of stall is 6 x 3 m, notice guy standing in door as small counter and CP2 alu boxed helis in background. Between pillar and Ladie's should you can see the tail of a heil and some others lined up on the small counter. The BOL's landing spot is on the left of the counter. So he drifts it sideways through that doorway until it is in line with the landing spot then just lift it up and slight forward movement lands it.

Edmund
Old 11-22-2010, 03:56 AM
rusty63

Thankss for the pictures .
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
What you said makes sense too. As you said the cpx has more spare parts than the CT, and they are cheap, while the blade sr is more expensive to buy and their spare parts are not cheap as well. So i think you have made my mind up and the Honey Bee CPX will be my next helicopter. After mastering that i will be building the hk450gt.
The last time i flew a cp helicopter i was leaning it to much and crashed sideways. I must get use to the controls as for coaxial helis (in mode 1) the left stick turns the helicopter while the same stick in cp helis tilts the heli left or right. This is where i am having trouble with cp atm Must get use to a 6 channel transmitter with a helicopter that has a lot of spare parts (i will crash for sure), but over time i will get use to it.
ORIGINAL: buz
Your explanation of controls in mode 1 confuses me. If I tried mode 1 I'd be in the dirt in a split second! lol With a mode 2 four channel transmitter, tail rotor and throttle are on the left... all other cyclic inputs are on the right.
Hey again guys,

You are not alone Buzz - I also think Mode 2 is much easier[sm=thumbs_up.gif] - but someone is selling newbies mode 1 Tx and after they get used to that, it is difficult to change.......

P.S. Now might be a good time to get Michael to change modes - before he gets into the serious helicopters....!![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 AM
pgroom_68

Hi all!
I literally had to scroll up to the top of the page here to be certain what thread I was on![sm=50_50.gif]
I have actual experience with the evolution and won't bore you with my links to other forums/threads![sm=wink_smile.gif]
I did the coaxial to CP evolution and made the semi-mistake of stopping at the Blade SR. The machine itself is inexpensive but plan to spend again the price in spares, easily.[:'(]
There is another forum where you might find a sheer genius by the name of Finless Bob who has complete build videos for your purusal. Additionally there is yet another, Mikey's RC that can help you build the least expensive 450 on the web!!
Good luck on your transition and learn from those who have walked before you and don't waste your time and ''muscle memory'' on smaller versions of aircraft if you are serious about your progression!
Best to all![8D]
[link]
Hey again Brian, the thread name is in the top LH corner of each post (eg. RE: BIG LAMA) - but I agree we have got a lot OT recently. I take full responsibility and will immediately sign out (for the rest of the day).....

P.S. I agree with you that Bob's video links ("Finless" on another forum) and Mikey's RC videos are both a GREAT resource[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hi all!
Good luck on your transition and learn from those who have walked before you and don't waste your time and ''muscle memory'' on smaller versions of aircraft if you are serious about your progression!
Best to all![8D]
[link]
Hey again Brian, the thread name is in the top LH corner of each post (eg. RE: BIG LAMA) - but I agree we have got a lot OT recently. I take full responsibility and will immediately sign out (for the rest of the day).....

P.S. I agree with you that Bob's video links (''Finless'' on another forum) and Mikey's RC videos are both a GREAT resource[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
You know me Peter I NEVER deviate from the topic at hand![sm=49_49.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

Happy flyin'!

b

ps does anyone else drink [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea]"green tea"[/link]? I just discovered it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.