Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:33 AM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: rikybob
You know me Peter I NEVER deviate from the topic at hand![sm=49_49.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Happy flyin'!
ps does anyone else drink [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea]''green tea''[/link]? I just discovered it!
Hey again Brian,

ROFLOL

Oh Oh - I do mate![sm=thumbs_up.gif] And loving it - (only the iced green tea - as well as peach flavoured iced tea - lovely and the most refreshing non-beer drink on a hot avo!!)

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Well, it is the next day[sm=wink_smile.gif]
P.P.S. Bet Simon would love a cup of tea (being English............!)[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hi all!
I literally had to scroll up to the top of the page here to be certain what thread I was on![sm=50_50.gif]
Great advice given here![sm=thumbup.gif]
I have actual experience with the evolution and won't bore you with my links to other forums/threads![sm=wink_smile.gif]
I did the coaxial to CP evolution and made the semi-mistake of stopping at the Blade SR. The machine itself is inexpensive but plan to spend again the price in spares, easily.[:'(]
The 450 class weights about a kilo with battery and is MUCH more stable to fly!
There is another forum where you might find a sheer genius by the name of Finless Bob who has complete build videos for your purusal. Additionally there is yet another, Mikey's RC that can help you build the least expensive 450 on the web!!
Good luck on your transition and learn from those who have walked before you and don't waste your time and ''muscle memory'' on smaller versions of aircraft if you are serious about your progression!
Best to all![8D]
[link]
PS Main rotors are spinning around 2800 rpm/ tail blades are spinning 1100rpm!
Hey again Brian, the thread name is in the top LH corner of each post (eg. RE: BIG LAMA) - but I agree we have got a lot OT recently. I take full responsibility and will immediately sign out (for the rest of the day).....

P.S. I agree with you that Bob's video links (''Finless'' on another forum) and Mikey's RC videos are both a GREAT resource[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
You know me Peter I NEVER deviate from the topic at hand![sm=49_49.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

Happy flyin'!

b

ps does anyone else drink [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea]''green tea''[/link]? I just discovered it!
Green tea is very good for the Prostate. So is saw palmetto juice. (seriously) Every year when out saw palmetto scrub blooms I have to continually chase the Mexicans off my property. They don't ask....they just wade into the bushes and start picking. Working on a video to post.... maybe later today.

Buzz
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Buz
I have to continually chase the Mexicans off my property. They don't ask....they just wade into the bushes and start picking. Working on a video to post.... maybe later today.
Hey again Buzz,

[X(][X(][X(]Further OT - but this I gotta see mate.............

Old 11-26-2010, 12:22 AM
rusty63

Holiday time for me . Lots of wind around but have underground carpark nearby . Have 4 Helis prepared Big Lama, Medevac , cb100 x2 . All virtualy bullet proof . From Mid next week flighttime available.
ps. Peter looks like my batteries have survived . will send pictures / vids next week .

Heres local carpark .
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqiEnU0A5YQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL&y tsession=g5se33RbdyJUk5J217jLze1Ygj49GwUlLCM3xZiJD E3bP6YrnGecN4DfWiSJJ0VPVr-sBftwkx2WpjAmAuWDVn539MvlgLwGgtT6PJ7mxrotSgMjPS7cU cHsXlmxYLHGO98WcJ53wJN6JSUvMTx7XS34ir5ET8e69TYluNf ATdLpP76xzAm-rEryMQSaNRLQMFV-T-fEBRm7OgN6YKdEUPW5F8z6f003sg92lxDsG9gwbtsZpGwZg4j8 7BVKqVv1RenCMnDx-2Im2ceUsZFqoYKzip36RsIrQsHSftE5xpNXpf4K3ffFE120QVf P4E2T[/youtube]
Old 11-26-2010, 01:30 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: rusty63
Holiday time for me . Lots of wind around but have underground carpark nearby . Have 4 Helis prepared Big Lama, Medevac , cb100 x2 . All virtualy bullet proof . From Mid next week flighttime available.
ps. Peter looks like my batteries have survived . will send pictures / vids next week .[img][/img]
Heres local carpark .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqiEn...fFE120QVfP4E2T
Hey again Russell,

You lucky boy My last holiday (except the statutory ones) was a year ago........

Look forward to pics / vids next week

P.S. Gotta love those "bullet-proof" coaxs
Old 11-26-2010, 02:32 AM
rusty63

Hi Peter ,
Yes pretty much bullet proof too the extent i still haven,t had too use/ trial those lama v4 blades you sent me ages ago . Perhaps this time might be able too break a few of my old ones . Anyways need a week to do some renovations . Build sort out a workshop area . Inventory parts etc . If you need anything for your many projects. lol.Just mentionor pm .Im likely too have lots ofsurplus stuff .in parts arena ..
Russell
Old 11-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

I have to continually chase the Mexicans off my property. They don't ask....they just wade into the bushes and start picking. Working on a video to post.... maybe later today.
Hey again Buzz,

[X(][X(][X(]Further OT - but this I gotta see mate.............

Uhhhhh, hey Peter? I think you misunderstood.... I didn't video the mexicans! I meant, I have a video to upload that was made with the Gaui. LOL!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Buz

Ok, Peter.... beat this one mate! Last night I flew my Gaui in almost total darkness... no lights. I could see it against the sky... and I took it up about 75ft, and did a backwards flip. I gave it throttle and flipped it over again. But, the second time, it only flipped upside down! Since I thought it was right side up.... I gave it throttle again which accelerated it's fall tremendously! It hit the ground in the middle of a paved street... WHAM! I walked over and picked it up and my Tupperware canopy was shattered, but nothing touched the gyro or receiver inside it. Upon further inspection... we could only find one prop blade missing. I put another prop on it and flew off again into the darkness.
Can you imagine doing that with a helicopter? Man, these things are TOUGH!

You know me, I try to make every flight as eventful as possible. LOL

Best,

Buzz
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM
rusty63

Hey Guys , Off topic . Just aHow Too for those niggling issues we rc guys face on day to day basis . lol
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A9DiFnFeio[/youtube]
Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 AM
rusty63

Wow up and running is everyone back ?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:19 AM
pgroom_68

Wow up and running is everyone back ?
Hey again Russell.

Just "signing in" now - I'm here!
Ok, Peter.... beat this one mate! Last night I flew my Gaui in almost total darkness... no lights. I could see it against the sky... and I took it up about 75ft, and did a backwards flip. I gave it throttle and flipped it over again. But, the second time, it only flipped upside down! Since I thought it was right side up.... I gave it throttle again which accelerated it's fall tremendously! It hit the ground in the middle of a paved street... WHAM! I walked over and picked it up and my Tupperware canopy was shattered, but nothing touched the gyro or receiver inside it. Upon further inspection... we could only find one prop blade missing. I put another prop on it and flew off again into the darkness.
Can you imagine doing that with a helicopter? Man, these things are TOUGH!
You know me, I try to make every flight as eventful as possible. LOL
Best,
I don't think I will even try to beat that one - sounds like one tough mother you've got there mate!
I recently bought a LED strip that quickly lights up in sequence - so I might try that out on my HK-450GT in a few weeks......[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 AM
rusty63

Hi Peter , Still doing renovations , sorting out Stuff .Heres a link for Guys too get there best from brushed motors .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
Old 12-06-2010, 04:26 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter , Still doing renovations , sorting out Stuff .Heres a link for Guys too get there best from brushed motors .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm
Hey again Russell,

[sm=thumbs_up.gif] - but it should be noted that this is only for BRUSHED motors![sm=72_72.gif]
Please don't try anything like this with your Brushless motors guys!!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 AM
laffan

Any one experienced continuous beep sound coming from the big lama ?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Disney1

Merry Christmas all.
Just got off teh
US Hobby Supply site He is running a HAlf Off sale on everything in teh store..

Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Buz

To all of my friends in this thread, I would like to extend a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous and Happy New Year.

May you always have a Big Lama to fly!

Buzz
Old 12-26-2010, 08:51 AM
bjethier

Thanks Buzz, same back to ya.  I'm just waiting for parts. Butch
Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 AM
jyossarian

Hello all,

I just got a BOL and need some advice. I want to learn a few of the "best practices" that you've figured out over the years. I've poked around the 257 pages of postings and can't find a way to use them effectively. I've used search but so many hits on credit card battery box that I can't find the how or why. Is there a list of beginner mods to make my first months learning to fly more fun and less costly as well as instructions?

I'm specifically interested in learning more about:

securing the battery in the fuselage
taping the fuselage
buying more/better blades (I have ruined 3 on my 5th flight)
buying an extended shaft
any other beginner mods
(sourcing info also appreciated)

Thnks,
J.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: jyossarian
Hello all,
I just got a BOL and need some advice. I want to learn a few of the ''best practices'' that you've figured out over the years. I've poked around the 257 pages of postings and can't find a way to use them effectively. I've used search but so many hits on credit card battery box that I can't find the how or why. Is there a list of beginner mods to make my first months learning to fly more fun and less costly as well as instructions?
I'm specifically interested in learning more about:
securing the battery in the fuselage
taping the fuselage
buying more/better blades (I have ruined 3 on my 5th flight)
buying an extended shaft
any other beginner mods
(sourcing info also appreciated)

Thnks,
Hey J & welcome to the hobby,

Starting at the last request & moving towards the first:[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

For your location the best sources of parts/upgrades are (in no particular order):
[link=http://www.helidirect.com/esky-outdoor-big-lama-c-1_38_235_622.hdx]Helidirect.com - BOL parts[/link] &/or [link=http://www.helidirect.com/esky-outdoor-big-lama-c-1_30_307_1166.hdx]Helidirect - BOL upgrades[/link], [link=http://www.xheli.com/redwhveesbig.html]Xheli.com - BOL parts[/link] as they are both in the US. Heck mate - you may even need to order some parts (ie. the blades) from the source here at [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80_204_212&sort=20a&page=3]Miracle-mart.com[/link] but take note that you will have to wait for approx 2 weeks for shipping from HongKong[sm=50_50.gif]. Another source that you may try is ebay.com - but post a link to the product(s) with the seller here [or PM me] for comments before ordering - I promise not to out-bid or under-buy any![sm=49_49.gif]

Beginner mods are many and varied - but IMHO none are really necessary unless your bird exhibits something out of the ordinary Just fly "its pants off" mate. Saying that, it is a large bird with coax & a low head speed (rotors spin relatively slowly) - so the boffins at Esky have inbuilt fairly large weights at the ends of the stabilizer (flybar). After a while of mucking about, you might want to lower the weight to add manouverability (downside is you increase instability[] although by then that shouldn't be a prob). Modding birds (tweaking) to get better performance is my passion ATM[sm=50_50.gif]

[link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_212&products_id=3391]THIS[/link] is the only extended inner shaft that I would recommend - but it is from HongKong - you will have to wait for nearly two weeks for it to arrive sorry! [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Xtreme-Extended-Inner-Shaft-15mm-Big-Lama-/110627053237?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c1e2deb5#ht_2151wt_982]HERE[/link] it is again from one of my trusted ebay sellers (in Boston) - and will only take a few days to get to you!![sm=tongue_smile.gif]...would work out cheaper anyway with shipping from HongKong added to your Miracle-mart total............[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Taping the fuselage is a simple (but seems pointless) task: You just apply vertical strips of clear tape all over the fuse - except the windows - "butting up" the edges as close as poss without overlapping........! This acts to "keep together" the fragments of this thin light-weight plastic that shatters during an inevitable crash/hard landing[sm=wink_smile.gif]. It really is best when applied to a pristine fuse - although difficult to actually make yourself do it!! The stress points I found are where the fuse narrows and forms a boom - near the 'Y' of "HOBBY" & all around both vertical & horizontal stabilizers further back on the "boom". These points may differ on your bird though - so that is why I am an advocate for taping everywhere Keep all taping dead vertical - it looks better & is strongest also.........

Lastly, the lipo is best held with a rubber band - just where you secure it defines your CG (Centre of Gravity) and depends on the shape and weight of the lipo you are using. The credit card mod is great to introduce you to modding your bird. There are many ways to do it - but essentially it is replacing the underside of the lipo holder (where a stock lipo is just sitting on top of two white plastic skids cross-bars) with a solid rectangular card to allow for infinite forward>backward positions. I prefer the CG (lipo) forward BTW. Once you have found the best range for your bird mark the lipo positions with a sharpie.

Post again if you don't understand my Aussie English....[X(]

P.S. The second mod you might want to attempt is to remove the rachet-action from the throttle stick within your Esky Tx - or at least cover the rachet arm with a short piece of fuel tube[sm=regular_smile.gif] - makes throttling up & down smoother, & keeps it "tight" feeling[sm=72_72.gif]
P.P.S. Glad to help

....A few random BOL pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53395.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1539404   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42917.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1539405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35815.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1539406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57033.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1539407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38662.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1539408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62891.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1539409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37988.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1539410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86894.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1539411  

Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 AM
jyossarian

Thanks for the info.  It really does make sense to fly it first and make mods later.

I'm pretty sure, however, that I'll be modding.  I am, by nature, a tinker-er.  Since I'm going to order an extended shaft from Hong Kong, what else should I purchase?

Do I only need and extended inner shaft (not an outer shaft too)?
What type of blades do you suggest?
I also want another battery.  You seem to have quite a collection, any specific ones a better value?
What else should I get to avoid 2 week down time? (push rods, screws, bearings????)

Thanks for the help.

J.

PS - I love the black paint job in the pictures - much cooler than News 12
Old 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM
pgroom_68

Thanks for the info. It really does make sense to fly it first and make mods later.

I'm pretty sure, however, that I'll be modding. I am, by nature, a tinker-er. Since I'm going to order an extended shaft from Hong Kong, what else should I purchase?

I also want another battery. You seem to have quite a collection, any specific ones a better value?
What else should I get to avoid 2 week down time? (push rods, screws, bearings????)

Thanks for the help.

J.

Hey again J,

You will need Gear A (the gear that attaches at the bottom of the inner shaft). You might have to "butcher" one of you gear A's to cut out the center for attachment 3/4 way up the extended shaft so it can run on top of the outer shaft. An outer shaft is a good idea since that is the thing that mostly gets bent in a hard landing (and from then on your bird will exhibit tell-tale vibrations)
I found the best blades for basic learner flying to be [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/main-rotor-blade-red-color-4pcs-for-lama400d-p-1946.html?cPath=166_60_139]THESE[/link] - not sold specifically for the BOL - but a perfect fit and "stiffness"! My second choice (a bit softer - ideal for shooting video = are [link=http://www.helidirect.com/xtreme-main-bladeupper-white-big-lama-p-15475.hdx]THESE[/link] (& [link=http://www.helidirect.com/xtreme-main-bladelower-white-big-lama-p-15476.hdx]THESE[/link]) Extreme "Whites" - (when buying extreme blades they sell uppers and lowers separately)
The best lipos I found are (from best to not-so-good) GE power, Extreme, Rhino, Esky (originals), Raiden. Others I haven't tried - so can't give an opinion on Stay away from No Brand cheapies on ebay unless they have been tried by other fliers & found OK[sm=50_50.gif]
Surprisingly, the Esky (originals) can be found quite regularly IN MULTIPLES on ebay.com[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
All the smaller parts in the head are pretty hardy & flexible (due to being made of plastic). I have never had to replace pushrods, one screw worked its way out after 100 (or so) flights - and the bearings are good IF LUBED regularly! Get your hands on some Labelle 107 oil, and a can of silicon-spray - they are both best practice!![sm=tongue_smile.gif]

P.S. Black fuses NEED lights - Extreme makes a great set that also doubles as a lipo alarm - [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3018]LED lights[/link] - maybe you could search closer to your location.........
P.P.S. You could mark, then (using Polycarbonate spraycans) a black FBI fuse - like my "inspiration" (I saw this for sale 2nd had on ebay a while back):
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11066.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1539874  
Old 12-31-2010, 04:41 AM
erdnuckel2

Thanks for the info. It really does make sense to fly it first and make mods later.

I'm pretty sure, however, that I'll be modding. I am, by nature, a tinker-er. Since I'm going to order an extended shaft from Hong Kong, what else should I purchase?

I also want another battery. You seem to have quite a collection, any specific ones a better value?

Thanks for the help.

J.

Interesting question J,
there are people that say an inner shaft can STILL bend, even if it is "hidden" inside the outer shaft all the way. Personally, Ibelieve that an inner shaft that doesNOT protrude out of the outer is still better protected than otherwise.
RE: do you NEEDa longer outer shaft ... based on the experience of probably all BOLfliers - NO. More so, you say you are ordering from HK, which usually suggests that your 'longer' inner shaft will be the one made by Xtreme. If that is the case and Idid not get ahead of myself f drawing this conclusion, you will definitely NOT need a longer outer shaft, as the extension is achieved by making a longer HEAD, not shaft.
If you use a custom longer inner shaft (for example www.coaxsupermodspartsshop.com ) then it might be a good idea to follow Peters advice ...
RE: blades ... if you are in Europe or the US take a look at the Viper450 blades (you can find them at the mentioned vendor). In particular for outdoor very nice, as they are carbon fiber reinforced and less flexible and less brittle than all the other ones I know ... and I really tried every blade I could find anywhere (my blog)
As with avoiding the "two weeks downtime" ... best bet (IMHO) is to hope you wont get hit by "Murphy's Law"

And to ALL you guys on the thread (hopefully the ones who decreased their activity to basically zero still pop in here and read every once in a while ...)

HAPPYNEWYEAR and all the best for 2011!!

E2

Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 AM
isaxon

This is just a brilliant site !

A problem. Got a Big Lama that just suddenly stopped working...

This is now the problem when I try to re-bind it.

"
To re-bind:
Switch the Tx on - notice the small rapidly flashing red LED on its front face?
"

The LED on the TX doesnt flash anymore, just a very pretty low light from the LED and no flashing as it was from the start.

I did have a crash with the helicopter before this but I find it very unlikely that the Tx gets broken because of that.

So any Idea what to do? Is there any way to "reset" the Tx or similar?

(The Tx works fine in a simulator on the computer and I´ve try 3 different types of new batteries and the indicator show "best" battery strenght.)

Many Thanks

Br

// Isaxon
Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Edmund2

Isaxon, I have read about many crashes in this thread but never a RX failing after a crashand some posts referred to binding problems. On the top of the page click on "search this thread" and you may just get a correct answer. You should however not have a binding problem but rather an initialising one that indicates a failed 3 in one. Rx. As for the sim it does not need transmission from the TX as you are plugged in via a lead.

Spiros, you still out there?????

Edmund2
Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Buz

Hey, guys! It's been a long time since I posted here. Hello to Edmund2 and Spiros... if you locate him.

Isaxson, are you flying on an FM radio or a 2.4mhz Tx? As Edmund2 states... it sounds like low batteries in the Tx.

Buzz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.