Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Bill Evans Simitar

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Bill Evans Simitar

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM
animan2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bill Evans Simitar

Thanks-I tried to upload several times. If you look at my galery, there a a few pictures there.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What size engine does the Deuce have. I have built and flown the .15and 1/2 and Simatar 540. All great flyers and eazy to fly. Where can I obtain a set of plans for the Deuce BOB MOORE
Old 03-07-2009, 09:28 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

There is an active yahoo group for Bill Evans simitar flyers and some downloadable plans and articles. I just got a Zippity Do Da at a swap meet today I really got lucky 100 bucks for the plane, motor and a 6exap futaba radio. WOOO HOOO

Any tips on flying this? I was able to print the RCM article on this plane from the yahoo groups "Files" so I have CG and reflex and throw info to start with now.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has to be one of the most senior threads here at RCU. I was given mine by a friend of Bill Evans. Bill lives just north of here and I think he might have built my plane. I didn't have any idea how it would fly when I tried it the first time. It had an AM radio with it and a little mixing box inside. It flew pretty much normal but came in a lot hotter than what I was used to. A few years ago I bought a digital flight pack for it and now my radio does the mixing. I gave the elevons and rudder more throw at the same time and now it will turn a lot quicker.
The same friend gave me a Pole Star kit. I don't build and I've never found a builder that would do a kit with foam wings.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

[email protected] is the best place to look for plans instructions and other currently building any variant of the simitar
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM
toro_0397

hi, i really want to build a simitar or something similar. does any one know where i can find some free plans of it. i want something fast and easy to build.
thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
OzMo

If anyone is even a little serious about any simitar, join the above mentioned group. They know ALL about 'em! I was able to instantly go to a scanned copy of the RCM build article for specs ,,,,>>>>SWEET[8D]

I spent the evening yesterday going over my Zipity Do Da. I repaced a frayed throttle cable, reinstalled the rudder push rod as the original was a tad flimsy. I also repositioned the battery for better balance along with removing an oversized tail wheel. And I redid the landing gear bolts. Now I have to make sure the gas tank system is Kosher and I'm ready for a maiden. Sure glad I didn't just go fly it, as that would have been a wild flight at best!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:12 AM
OzMo

Crashed the Do Da ....DOH
I was REALLY careful to set CG throws reflex per the article on Yahoo Simitar groups But the wing hold down block was poorly glued and it was near fatal. Take off was nice with a predictable climb then all of a suden it whipped strait up with no down response at all.
post crash inspection revealed a glue joint of only a 1/4'' area on one side of the wing block. Some days your the bug some days your the windsheild. It is fixable, the wing was nearly unharmed, firewall and landing gear block will have to be redone.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:01 AM
animan2008

I have been flying and building Bill Evans designs for over 15 yeasr and never had to rebuild a wing from any crash. It is amazing how strong the foam/wod combination is.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Joe Nagy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from sunny and warm Glendale, Arizona.

I have built 2 of Bill Evans Simitars: the Slow Motion, and a modified, enlarged Slow Motion dressed up to look like a twin-tailed F-18 Jet something or other. My foam wing cutting equipment is in a shambles rite now re a recent move. Does anyone know if Bill still cuts wings, I cannot find an email address for him or his firm Bill Evans Aircraft. I just re-read his TRACER 40-60-ST 3000 articles in an old RCM and would like to build all 3 of them, and need the foam wing cores for same. ANy help would be appreciated. Many thanx, and best regards from Arizona,

Joe Nagy. email: [email protected]
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 AM
mercura

Hi Joe, Check out Eureka Aircraft, they cut wings for all the Simitar series.
Dave
Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

and this yahoo group has very good resources such as the plans rescanned etc, new sources for x-hinge too [email protected], join up!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Joe Nagy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanx Dave;

Will check out Eureka for sure. Best regards from Arizona, USA,

Joe N.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM
CAhardhat
My Feedback: (14)

The only difference in Bills wings is the length. The profiles for all of his wings are the same so you can customize the wings to suit yourself.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:24 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Scimitar airfoil is in Compufoil BTW. I have it if needed.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:42 PM
TimC

I have a free, new in the box Polestar kit to anyone coming up Hwy. 395 in Inyo County, California.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:40 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I purchased my first Scimitar from Bill when he had a hobby shop in S. California. He was a gentleman and really a pleasure do do business with. I understand years later he moved up to Bishop Ca. but lost contact when I moved to Hawaii years ago.

I loved his flying wings...all flew well and had a glide that had to be seen to be believed. My last Scimitar was a 1/2a model with a Cox .15 installed and that particular airframe was so fast it was kind of crazy to witness. I out flew all the current .40 class 500 racers and formula I racing planes of the day. I took 2nd. in an open pylon race and flew against models with over four times the power...but none were faster....and the Scimitar could out turn them all with out losing speed. Just an a mazing model.

My hat is off to Bill Evens...

Soft Landings Always,
Bob Paris
Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
Hi Guys,
I purchased my first Scimitar from Bill when he had a hobby shop in S. California. He was a gentleman and really a pleasure do do business with. I understand years later he moved up to Bishop Ca. but lost contact when I moved to Hawaii years ago.

I loved his flying wings...all flew well and had a glide that had to be seen to be believed. My last Scimitar was a 1/2a model with a Cox .15 installed and that particular airframe was so fast it was kind of crazy to witness. I out flew all the current .40 class 500 racers and formula I racing planes of the day. I took 2nd. in an open pylon race and flew against models with over four times the power...but none were faster....and the Scimitar could out turn them all with out losing speed. Just an a mazing model.

My hat is off to Bill Evens...

Soft Landings Always,
Bob Paris
Hi - so glad someone still flies the Scimitars. I have built several and have some of them posted on my page. Thinking right now about building some more. I named one of mine the Desperado and I think Ill build another one (sold first one) along with another Speedy (but larger) and maybe a Bill Evans "Classic Scimitar" with built up wing verses a foam wing. I suppose someone has started building electric Scimitars - wonder how they are doing with them? Take care and remember to always land right side up.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:51 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Then there is this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	Sickle.pdf
Views:	261
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2220533 and the Draco and Flipper on that same site. For those lazy people that like to fold up wings and make fuselages out of downspouts.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:09 AM
grillo

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Hi guys I know it a log time since someone posts here heres my take on the simitar advantege the span is reduced by the length of 1 rib per side; it fully laser cut and and built up wings instead of a foam core
REGARDS!!!

PS Its the 3rd one that Ive built for a budy in our club

The following 2 users liked this post by grillo:
combatpigg (01-13-2023), TimC (09-04-2021)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:31 AM
Crazy Legs

If anyone has recently built one of the Slow Motion versions of Bills Scimitar designs, would you help me locate a supplier of the wing skins? Bill offered the 1/64th Inch Wing Skins back in the 80s when he sold and shipped me the wing cores, but I, like a fool, forgot to order them with the cores! Please let me know if there is a good source for these today. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:28 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Legs
If anyone has recently built one of the Slow Motion versions of Bills Scimitar designs, would you help me locate a supplier of the wing skins? Bill offered the 1/64th Inch Wing Skins back in the 80s when he sold and shipped me the wing cores, but I, like a fool, forgot to order them with the cores! Please let me know if there is a good source for these today. Thank you.
1/64th inch plywood...?
Well I have bought it as a 24" x 48" sheet many years ago for a VERY STEEP price and I believe it was sold by SIG MFG.
SIG is currently taking orders for wood but their stock is ...well they aren't fully stocked up since new owners have taken over for a company that was not doing well in recent times.
Give them a call and ask.
Otherwise AIRCRAFT SPRUCE is a company that sells all sorts of aircraft grade wood..you can talk to them too.

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-14-2023 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All, I hoping someone can help with my question....
I have acquired a Wing design that is very unique. See attached photos.
I was initially told it was a Bill Evans design but I have not been able to confirm this.
Can any of you identify this model, name or designer ?
Thank you in advance,
Kerry S.

Unknown model with Stars Wars theme. Emblems on Wings are of Darth Vader's Helmet. Pilot is bust of Darth Vader.

Sub-Fins with Rudders and Anhedral Wing

Old 05-19-2023, 10:15 AM
pgilbert
My Feedback: (38)

Vader down under, i.e. aussie simitar resembling darth vader.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:49 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you pgilbert for this info. Much appreciated.

KJS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.