Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:23 PM
skylab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIAMOND DUST RC LIVES!!!!!

Hello Everyone,
We are proud to announce that we are now taking pre-orders on the Diamond Dust KITS.
They will start shipping on Oct 1st, 2008.
Cost is 74.95 plus S&H.
We have an initial run of 100 Kits available and will be working on the Clipped Wing (CW) Version next.
The CW version should be available by Nov 1st.

If you are interested in pre-ordering you can go to:
www.diamondustrc.com and click on store or
you can go directly to the store by clicking here:
http://stores.homestead.com/Tetracam...ry=RC+products

Please feel free to contact us regarding any questions at:
[email protected]
or our Tech support number:
352-871-7301

Thanks
Gerry King
Tetracam, Inc
Diamond Dust RC
www.diamonddustrc.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35657.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1040837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26533.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1040838  
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
skylab

Also for anyone who would like a preview of the Manual it can be downloaded here:
http://www.diamonddustrc.com/Diamond...KIT_Manual.pdf
Thanks

DDUST Team

Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

WOW, nice manual!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:31 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

This is a great job on the manual! Congratulations!
I see some strength improvements in the nose area, high strength control horns, the use of Solartex on the standard version and the carbon fiber strips on the fins.

A few things I’d like to add:

I recommend that the forward square holes for the servo mounting rail be lowered about 1/8†for a better averaged angle for the push rod to the rear horns. This is easily done with a file then fill the space above with scrap after the rail is installed, I reinforce the rails too if I use powerful servos.

On my Dusts with 45 engines and up I like to use a 8 oz. fuel tank, center it behind the engine and place the throttle servo back between the other two.

On my standard Dust with 45 YS RE or Webra 55 engines, the battery ended up just ahead of the rear spar and I substituted the balsa sheeting in this area with 1/16th aircraft ply and added some glass cloth fillets in the corners of the main ribs where they meet.

I highly recommend the use of 2/3 A over AA batteries due to the higher current dump capacity if you use powerful servos which can pull voltages down so low that the receiver wont function. The 2/3 A’s are slightly lighter than the AA and have less storage capacity but give me easily ten aggressive flights before needing a charge. Always check your battery before each flight.

If you are still low tech 72 MHz like me, I would use the Hitec Electron 6 receiver. The best dual conversion I’ve found and beats all the PCMs I’ve tested. Totally glitch free on all my high speed planes.

I like to launch the Dust with about 25% expo and 85 % rates on aileron than switch to 100% expo and 100% rates once it’s away and tracking, well before it’s up to speed. This helps reduce over correcting just after launch. At launch I hold the right wing a bit lower.

Again, Nice job on the manual guys!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:38 AM
skylab

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

I recommend that the forward square holes for the servo mounting rail be lowered about 1/8†for a better averaged angle for the push rod to the rear horns. This is easily done with a file then fill the space above with scrap after the rail is installed, I reinforce the rails too if I use powerful servos.
Thanks Guys for the complements on the manual! we did focus on trying to improve the build for the end user.

Freaking fast, we use bass wood for the servo rails and I have never had any of them come apart or break.
The only time I have seen them fail is when the end user has riddled them with holes like swiss cheese when trying
different size servos through the life of the aircraft.

Anyway thanks again and let me know if you want one or two!!

DDust Team
Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
freakingfast

I’ve never had a rail fail either, my mod was simply preemptive and possibly over kill, the rail just looked so small.

I’m thinking two, they would make fantastic Xmas presents and raffle prizes too! I'll order on your site.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Got one!! I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it before the close of the flying season but I'll have it done before the end of the winter for sure .

Ouch on the shipping charges [:@]!!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Goinstraightup

They build FAST. I am very slow and mine is practically falling together... Almost framed up in one weekend - I'm sure fast builders would have no trouble with a one weekend frame up ready to cover..
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
bolar

Sounds good. I've been looking for something fast since I had to retire my Shrike.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM
skylab

Thanks to all who have already ordered!!
We are still on schedule to start shipping on Wed Oct. 1st.
If anyone has any questions please let me know I will be monitoring this post closely.

Thanks again and see you at the field!!

DDust Team/
Gerry King

www.diamonddustrc.com

Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM
skylab

Also forgot to mention to the people who have the older kits and still have not yet put them together, you
can download the new revised manual at:

This manual will serve you better than the original. It has more pictures and details, and should simplify
as well as speed up the assembly process.

Thanks again,

DDust Team
Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
bolar

I got mine today!! Two hours and I'm already framed up. At this rate I don't think I'll be ready this weekend, but next for sure![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-08-2008, 06:38 PM
iflyg450

How do I pre-order the clipped wing version, I looked all over the site?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: skylab

We have an initial run of 100 Kits available and will be working on the Clipped Wing (CW) Version next.
The CW version should be available by Nov 1st.
Go ahead and get the standard version if this is your fist DD, it's a bit easier to launch unless you start out with a 30 size engine on the clipped wing like a Webra 36 or OS 32.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:30 PM
iflyg450

Thanks for the reply. This won't be my first delta but it will be my first DD. I plan on using a OS 25VF-DF FIRE engine. I think that should be plenty of power. What do you think???
Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Question about engine choices..I see a number of you have chosen or are thing about using Duct Fan engines like the OS vx-df. I see they have a much higher RPM and HP numbers than say an AX. My question... is the crank long enought to accomodate standard type APC props ?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: europatc74

Question about engine choices..I see a number of you have chosen or are thing about using Duct Fan engines like the OS vx-df. I see they have a much higher RPM and HP numbers than say an AX. My question... is the crank long enought to accomodate standard type APC props ?
I believe these two links should answer your questions.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7645422
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6849666
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM
freakingfast

The standard Diamond Dust will deliver plenty of excitement with engines from an OS 32 to a Jett F.I.R.E. 60LX

A 46 ducted fan engine is not required to produce high levels of endorphins.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
iflyg450

Some engines do require a shaft extechion. My OS 25VF-DF does not, it is based off the standard rear exshaust aero engine only the timming is chage to get the RPM's up DF range. I will have to use a smaller dia prop to get the power ect.. But I have this engine it runs great and It VERY COOL to see a 25 size rear exshaust engine screaming along on the pipe!! I am all about cheap, if you got it use it.

Jason
Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received my DD the other day. Looking for suitable servos. Recommended types are a bit pricey. Wondering what others are using. I plan on installing a 40 size or larger engine. Thanks..
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
freakingfast

For a 40 size sport engine you want tight, metal gear servos around the 80 to 90 in,oz. range. With a faster engines than that, you just need more servo. You may get buy with less.....for a while. If you give leverage advantage to the servo and reduce the throws, you may get buy even longer but you will loose the ability to do extreme maneuvers. When at speed, weak or unmatched servos may not get to the same point at the same time at full up deflection and a small difference at that point will lead to a snap/stall/flat spin with the plane pointing god knows where.

I know it's a pain $$ but you get what you pay for in servos.

PS
I’ve had bad luck with JR sport 125's (6ea.) and Hitec HS 625MG (9ea) I didn’t even give them away, into the round file.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Wiggy

Gerry,

Do you have the manual for the clipped Dust ready? Is it online anywhere?

Thanks, Billy
Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 AM
claytucker

I am looking to build the dd. My last whiplash ended up in many pieces.

I unsuccessfully tried a smaller and higher pitched prop with the over sized 91 ys sr 2 stroke. The whiplash was heavy, add in the extra fuel, added c/f, and engine and it was over 5 lbs. Very similar to dd airfoil.

This time I am not really worried about max speed, afraid of a heavy plane I was thinking the 35 ax at 10 oz w/o pipe and 1.3 hp might be a good combo?

But is that enough for good speed and an easy launch???

Jett is just too expensive for me. But the webra 50 is also a light engine at 12 oz again I would need 2-3 oz more fuel so the weight is adding up.

opinions...
Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Goinstraightup

The 35AX would be a fun combo on the DD. I flew a DD with 32SX and Macs pipe. It was easy to launch.

You mentioned the Webra 50. I love that engine!!! I'm flying 2 of them now. Both of mine have the old style tube mufflers giving a nice boost. You are right about the light weight. They are louder than an OS 50, but they give amazing power on only 10% fuel. Like I said, the Web 50 is one of my fav engines.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skylab

Also forgot to mention to the people who have the older kits and still have not yet put them together, you
can download the new revised manual at:

This manual will serve you better than the original. It has more pictures and details, and should simplify
as well as speed up the assembly process.

Thanks again,

DDust Team
Hi Guys,

I wanted to point out one small thing that I spotted, having recently checked this out. You show the fuel tank installation using one of those hook-and-loop Velcro handy ties. Those things are great, and I used them like that for tanks and batteries ever since I found them at our local hardware.

My experience with them tells me it is important that you bond the loop side down, not the hook side. Loop side = fuzzy, hook side = plastic feel. The hook side is typically nylon which has zero surface energy for bonding with any of the adhesives we use, and the tapered filaments making up the hooks pull out of the adhesive quite easily. However, the loop side contains a bazillion closed loops of polyester (typically). While polyester is not a high surface energy plastic, the matrix of closed loops seem to form a firm mechanical bond with the adhesive - a variation on the hook-and-loop idea I guess - loop-and-goo perhaps?

I typically use 5-minute epoxy for this job, applying it to the hook material and the wood before smoothing it in place. Then I put a scrap of covering backing plastic over that and weight it down for 15 minutes or so. My feeling is that epoxy will make a tougher bond, but I imagine CA gets a good hold of it too - I just haven't used it for that purpose.

I'm not a DD owner (yet) so I did not read the whole manual to see if you mentioned that somewhere else but I figured it would be in that section if so.

Just my $0.02 offering!

Cheers,

Mike D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.