Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth

So,

For when it's ever needed, dimensions of the materials of the crate already calculated.
In this thread I did tell it before, maybe I also will construct a replica of the crate in the future so I can make a second crate picture.

Cees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12490.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1548151  
Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents, just a short note about safety.

Did read a post about foam cutter power supply.
A lot of equipment I do build myself, only sometimes it is much more easy to use existing equipment especially when safety is an important issue. I think this supply is one of these.
I use a MINITOOL power supply not only for foam cutter but also for my PCB minidrill and solder iron.
I did make one set of wings and one set of stabs of foam!!!

If you do look for a RTC (Ready To Cut) supply my advice is, look for double isolated, see the symbol on the bottom. These supply systems do have double or reinforced insulation between mains and output required by the safety standard so no safety ground connection is needed.

Picture 3, Grit Leaks 1964? Not only a grid leaks, also this system!!! Very dangerous.

Cees

I will upload pictures later, it isn't possible now!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Taurus Flyer

Picture 1,2 and 3

Edit:These supply systems do have double or reinforced insulation between mains and output AND OUTSIDE required by the safety standard so no safety ground connection is needed. (class II)
Other symbols, in the middle; "closed safety tranformer" is used and on the right side; "shortcut safe".

Name:	Qo40960.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1550385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19189.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1550386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91392.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1550387  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Taurus Flyer

Another example maybe to use for foam cutting?

Name:	Rp43028.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1550570  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Taurus Flyer

I even think this can do the job, someone experience?

Name:	Ay73521.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1550627  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Taurus Flyer

Last supply shown you also can buy unregulated, I think this supply we cannot use !
Cees

Name:	Mk25572.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1550657  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Simla contruction is still going on, details I will not show as told before, this isn’t a build thread.
For me CAD of course is also a tool to use so parallel on the drawing board I do make an up to date computer model as result of the calculations.
A print out, an example of that model I show in the picture. The silhouette I can compare with the photographs we have.
More to come

Cees

Name:	Mk26158.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1550667  
Old 01-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

I did show it in another thread, our safety transformer we can use in special occasions.
For example for the Simla we also do research for making the tail feathers of foam, sheeted with balsa. These feathers have to be light and Ed did know the procedure too so why not.

Our safety transformer does have several taps on the output coil, so we can choice several voltage levels:
1,5V 2V 3V 4V 9V 10,5V 11V 12V 13V 14V 14,5V 16V 28V 29,5V 31V 40V 42V 44V

In all situations the current max is 35 A.

With the use of rectifiers it is also possible to generate (eff) voltage/power levels. even if you do not have so much taps, for example you always can reduce the power level to the bow with 50 % for a single output transformer with the use of one rectifier.
With one central tap? I think 4 levels and if not central, 5.

If someone is interested in an explanation, let me know and I’ll make a drawing.

Cees

Name:	Yw69232.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1551468  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Several posrts in other threads did let me think about WvB.
Have to think about that to start a subject!
We'll see~!

More to come

Cees

Old 01-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Taurus Flyer

And yes, I did have that strange feeling!!

I read this morning about the state of the union (USA yesterday) and Robert Kennedy, but what has WvB to do with that?

See the picture who is that?
While Ed did try to became world champion pattern flying in Europe with the Taurus, Werner von Braun was director of the NASA and the father of the Saturnus V.
The picture was made 19 May 1963 (my birthday!).
1960 Werner von Braun became director of the NASA, the year Ed was Worldchampion in Dubendorf

Saturnus?

You only need two characters to make a Saturnus of a Taurus, S ans n
Interesting.

Cees

Werner von Braun, don't forget.

I often did tell, be aware, the Taurus didn't drop out of the air, the plane is a result of a long period of research!!
And did the rocket of Werner to bring the first USA satalite in space drop out of the air? No of course not, Werner did know how to design his Jupiter C, but that earlier rocket of the US Navy did(FL 1 feet) !!!!

Name:	Ni24346.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1553321  
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Redesign and reconstructing of the Simla!

People might think why doesn’t he show pictures, details of construction or plans even this isn’t a real built thread?

There are a view reasons.

First, when the first commercial Taurus plans were made by Ed Kazmirski and Frank Myers, they didn’t use the oldest contest Taurus of Ed as example, it would be too complex for most builders and the fuselage would be much too narrow to mount the average radio in it. Most radios were too big.
Ed was a friend of Bob Dunham (Orbit) and could use the smallest relay less receivers also already in his older world champion Orion!! In that period that Oldest Taurus on Earth simple wasn’t useable to make plans or a kit. It was a special shaped pattern plane and no cargo lifter.
We also see this happen later with the blue angel for example. Real contest planes of these period were custom made, more complex “kind of secret weapons” and made to win and not to sell.

BTW, what would you do? After nearly a year of research you have a new successful pattern plane, probably already win contests with it and now you do give the design away for a few dollars by selling detailed plans of it?
Or is this where you are thinking about? You were world champion in 1960 and of course you want to be the champion again but for a fair reason you want to have all your concurrent pattern pilots the same plane you have?
And now?

Second. Reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth was based on facts and a lot of work. Reconstruction of the Simla was much more work, there were not the references of the crate dimensions, only 16 normal pictures. At least 100 drawings with a lot of related calculations are made by me and even much more sketches.
It would not be strategic to show any important detail and dimension of my scratch build Simla (no lasercut!) just as I do not show important details of any other product. Only informative.
Of course anybody is free to modify his commercial Simla to win the game, that’s the real classic pattern flying of the past.

Future! Differences!
Just as with the Oldest (successful) pattern Taurus on Earth I will have a real scratch build copy of the first contest Simla, interesting for me to study again the differences between my scratch built pattern plane and a commercial product. That will be interesting to show in the future.

Already interesting? Similarities!
Of the Oldest (successful) Taurus on Earth and the Oldest Simla on Earth we both do not know the date of first flights. Of the commercial products, the prototypes, of course we know, we can read it on the plans that are sold.

And of all the other scratch build planes of Ed? Guess! Not known of any of them, of course not.

History repeats himself and for that there are always important facts to show.

Cees
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Taurus Flyer

Sheer webs, For who is interested.

Simla will have them and Top Flite Taurus didn’t, sheer webs.
I prepare a short post and pictures about the way spars and sheer webs of real airplanes were designed.

First some pictures of the book I use,

Sterkteberekeningen van vliegtuigen part 1
Design calculations for airplanes, wood and combined constructions.
Writer: Ingenieur W.J. Kelder, of the Fokker factory.
Date of the book October 1945 a few monts after World War Two.
Place of book publisher: Haarlem, also the residence of Anthony Fokker when he was a young boy.

Picture 3 is a note of the writer, for people who already want to became familiar with the Dutch language!

Of course, if anyone has any other question to ask about aircraft design, wood constructions but also tube fuselages, I will show what is in this book, even metal parts, motor mounting.

More to come.
Cees

Name:	Yw68935.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	1556937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66495.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	1556938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50554.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	1556939  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Pictures of the book are made, shear webs soon in this theatre, but now, just an example

Reconstruction of an original pattern plane is a lot of work and I did write, I would show some steps of what is going on behind curtains.

First the facts: the original pattern models are much more complex and there are no plans.

In this thread I did show the complete and complicated process of the “Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth”, the first successful Taurus of Ed which was the example for the later commercial Taurus we all know: Frank Myers, Top Flite, MAN, RCM & E, proportional version.
An example of an important step in the redesign process of the Simla is again the comparison with the use of photographs just as with the Oldest Taurus on Earth
These pictures (dozens!), constructed with the exact same point of view I use to check the dimension, details and color scheme with the use of a vertical line of a known amount of pixels (665 for this picture).

More to come.
Cees

Name:	Om34005.jpg
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1561349  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

So have you made drawings of Your Simla I can read in previous post above. Are You still changing the drawings so You are not ready to start to build yet? Or have You started to buildsomething on Your Simlaversion? If Yes, any picture you would like to share here?

/Bo
Old 02-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Taurus Flyer

/Bo
Simla replica is under construction and making the plans is a continuing process.
Profit? “Released for construction” are “as build” plans and all details have to fit in the pictures and other known data just as with the Oldest Taurus on Earth, for that the Simla is also an unique pattern plane that is build again in detail. (no prototype - not commercial!)
Realized and archived plans are as (even more!) valuable for me as the plane when it is finished.
In this period I only do show the remarkable project steps or some interesting details I do find out (aileron linking!) to reduce my time investment. The picture I did show was part of a study of the AMA number location and canopy contour details.
More to come.
Cees
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

The thread is about the reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth and recent in another thread there were some posts about the evolution related to the radios Ed did use and I did search for that.

I did discover in post 1 I do show a picture I did receive in the past, the “crate picture”, one of the most important original sources.
Looking in this thread I did realize not all readers will understand the term “Crate Picture” and background . Also the front page of the article of Ed : “Our Mr. K. goes to Africa” isn’t visible in this thread either.
So to make this thread more “”self supporting” a post about that important front page of that article
This article was written as result of a visit of Ed in April 1962 in Rhodesia. That picture, visible on the left side (bottom) of this page, I do have in high resolution and is that crate picture.

The second picture I show is the result of my reconstruction process of the fuse visible on the right side and additional wing set left side in that crate, called by me Wester Taurus, a replica of that Oldest (successful!) Taurus on Earth.
Ed did fly the plane in Rhodesia and during that trip called by him as “Light Taurus” to distinguish from the other Taurus in the crate, the Top Flite preproduction Taurus he used in 1962 for promotion and Nats flying.

More to come.

Cees

Name:	Hf97600.jpg
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	1564430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50271.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1564431  
Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Taurus Flyer

Gents,

In the period I was reconstructing the oldest Taurus on Earth I was really thinking the plane could have a place in a museum, it is a copy of the basic design, the first successful pattern Taurus of Ed worldwide known. I use the plane for study and development of the Simla and plan is to fly the Oldest Taurus on Earth after some months, exactly 50 years after the design by Ed.

The oldest Taurus on Earth did have a short tail cone so Ed did use his own basic design again only enlarged 150 % to realize the Simla. (span OTOE was 68 inch , Simla 102”)
We know the (commercial) Top Flite Taurus was modified after some years to make it a better plane to fly with proportional radio. Modification? Shorter tail cone!!
The picture, a second example of the computer model of the Simla for promotion and measurements and my basic used for generating the detailed plans.
The plane is under construction, but that will take some time.

More to come.

Cees

Name:	Zx71215.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1565031  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Taurus Flyer

Gents, members of the AMA

I was FAI pattern flyer in the past and for history more European oriented, but being interested in the history of modeling in the USA too and especially Ed Kazmirski I did write it several times, it is a great pity Ed’s name isn’t written in the Hall of Fame of the AMA!
Don’t you think so too?
http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/hoflist.aspx

I do not know the official rules, but one time I did have contact with the AMA (Maria Vanvreede, Jackie Shalberg) about this and nomination would probably still be possible I remember, see http://modelaircraft.org/files/152.pdf

If we are too late, also that can be noted too IMO.
Now we read the AMA will sell plans related to Ed and it seems to be even for (one of) the highest prices ever, the Frank Myers history repeats, I bring also this under attention again. There must be enough USA members to realize an adequate action for a hard nomination and not only trying to make money of the estate of Ed!!

The chapters of the document to complete a nomination I show, the official document is more extensive.
See for that the official pdf of the AMA, attachment of this post:

2011 Model Aviation Hall of Fame Application

Thank you for participating in the 2011 Model Aviation Hall of Fame selection
process. The award recognizes aeromodelers whose contributions to model
aviation over the years have been outstanding, and whose contributions
improved the sport/hobby and increased its prestige and stature. In order to
ensure your candidate has every opportunity he or she deserves and nothing is
overlooked, we have listed several categories that are most often used when
selecting a new member for the Hall of Fame. Please fill in blanks in the areas
provided below to the best of your ability. Using up to four pages (single-sided),
including photographs, describe your candidate’s involvement in the following
categories (must be aviation-related involvement):

1. Competition:
Has the nominee been a competitor for several years, competed in several
different disciplines or competed a short time, but won on several occasions?
Has the nominee set any National or FAI records?

2. Writer/Publisher
Has the nominee written magazine articles that have contributed to the
knowledge base of Model Aviation, written books that have contributed to the
knowledge base of Model Aviation or published or worked on the staff of a Model
Aviation related magazine or periodical publication?

3. Manufacturer/Designer/Innovator
Has the nominee provided his own designed airplane kits, engines, radios or
accessories to modelers.
Has the nominee owned, run or been employed by a company that manufactured
kits, engines, radios or parts for Model Airplanes?
Has the nominee developed a new airplane or engine design?
Has the nominee developed a new way of flying (e.g. 3D)?

4. Leadership
Has the nominee been instrumental in the administration of a model club, made
great contributions to educational programs or programs involving children in
modeling or been involved with AMA programs or committee’s?

5. Other Special Achievement
Has the nominee’s non-modeling activities highlighted Model Aviation in a
positive light? (e.g. Neil Armstrong

6. Using the next two pages, please describe using text/photographs why you
think your candidate should be inducted into the Model Aviation Hall of Fame.

Location of the name of Ed has to be after Matt Kania, and just above Ed Keck and Jim Kirkland !!!!
Kirkland? Where did I read that name Kirkland before?
Let me hear what you are thinking of this!

Cees
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ro41712.pdf (109.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

I was FAI pattern flyer in the past and for history more European oriented, but being interested in the history of modeling in the USA too and especially Ed Kazmirski I did write it several times, it is a great pity Ed’s name isn’t written in the Hall of Fame of the AMA!
Don’t you think so too?

I do not know the official rules, but one time I did have contact with the AMA (Maria Vanvreede, Jackie Shalberg) about this and nomination would probably still be possible I remember, see http://modelaircraft.org/files/152.pdf

Now we read the AMA will sell plans related to Ed and it seems to be even for (one of) the highest prices ever, the Frank Myers history repeats, I bring also this under attention again. There must be enough USA members to realize an adequate action for a hard nomination and not only trying to make money of the estate of Ed!!

Cees
The issue of Ed being in the Hall of Fame, and AMA selling plans (of the Simla), are two separate issues. I resent, and I'm sure AMA would resent the insinuation that they are ".....trying to make money of the estate of Ed...". AMA features plans of ALL the airplanes they feature in their magazine...nothing more than that. The plans are HUGE, (being full-size). There is a lot of paper there, hence the cost. It is quite "twisted" to claim otherwise.

I would totally support Ed being included in the AMA Hall of Fame...it must be an oversight IMO, not some kind of plot to keep Ed out of the HOF. I will look into the matter and try to find out why he is not officially listed there...I will even submit a nomination if need be if nobody else has.

This has been an issue for some time. The person who gave me Ed's phone number and address felt strongly that Ed should be in the HOF. During the one long conversation I had with Ed, I brought up the subject to get his feelings, (you must remember that ED was quite elderly, (86 at the time), and was not at his best in terms of mental quickness or memory). When I brought up the subject with Ed, he felt he WASN'T NEGLECTED, and had been given a place of honor by AMA. My guess is he had received some sort of other award or appreciation from AMA. Under the circumstances, I was not going to press he issue, and imply he was wrong.

The point is, I am 100% certain Ed himself did not feel slighted or unappreciated by AMA...he was happy with them, and didn't feel mistreated. Ed was content with the AMA and his role as an R/C pioneer.

Duane
Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Taurus Flyer

Don’t you think so too?

If we are too late, also that can be noted too IMO.

The chapters of the document to complete a nomination I show, the official document is more extensive.
See for that the official pdf of the AMA, attachment of this post:

2011 Model Aviation Hall of Fame Application

Thank you for participating in the 2011 Model Aviation Hall of Fame selection
process. The award recognizes aeromodelers whose contributions to model
aviation over the years have been outstanding, and whose contributions
improved the sport/hobby and increased its prestige and stature. In order to
ensure your candidate has every opportunity he or she deserves and nothing is
overlooked, we have listed several categories that are most often used when
selecting a new member for the Hall of Fame. Please fill in blanks in the areas
provided below to the best of your ability. Using up to four pages (single-sided),
including photographs, describe your candidate’s involvement in the following
categories (must be aviation-related involvement):

1. Competition:
Has the nominee been a competitor for several years, competed in several
different disciplines or competed a short time, but won on several occasions?
Has the nominee set any National or FAI records?

2. Writer/Publisher
Has the nominee written magazine articles that have contributed to the
knowledge base of Model Aviation, written books that have contributed to the
knowledge base of Model Aviation or published or worked on the staff of a Model
Aviation related magazine or periodical publication?

3. Manufacturer/Designer/Innovator
Has the nominee provided his own designed airplane kits, engines, radios or
accessories to modelers.
Has the nominee owned, run or been employed by a company that manufactured
kits, engines, radios or parts for Model Airplanes?
Has the nominee developed a new airplane or engine design?
Has the nominee developed a new way of flying (e.g. 3D)?

4. Leadership
Has the nominee been instrumental in the administration of a model club, made
great contributions to educational programs or programs involving children in
modeling or been involved with AMA programs or committee’s?

5. Other Special Achievement
Has the nominee’s non-modeling activities highlighted Model Aviation in a
positive light? (e.g. Neil Armstrong

6. Using the next two pages, please describe using text/photographs why you
think your candidate should be inducted into the Model Aviation Hall of Fame.

Location of the name of Ed has to be after Matt Kania, and just above Ed Keck and Jim Kirkland !!!!
Kirkland? Where did I read that name Kirkland before?

Cees

Gents,

Nomination is part of the process of selecting a candidate for the bestowing of an honor or award.

I did receive an answer on questions I did ask Erin Dobbs of AMA, important for you USA members: ‘people who are interested in nominating someone for the Model Aviation Hall of Fame they will need to fill out the application.’
I already did receive a message in the past Ed wasn’t ever (successful?) nominated either and these are the facts for me to archive.
Let it also be clear Ed never could nominate himself!

Think for this also what did happen to the Lufthansa awarded trophy for concours d’elegance (Genk Belgium 1963)!

More to come.

Cees
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
jjpetro

Taurus Flyer,
The renderings you show in posts 863 and 867 are excellent! What software did you use to create them? Photo Modeler? Image Modeler? Sketchup?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: jjpetro

Taurus Flyer,
The renderings you show in posts 863 and 867 are excellent! What software did you use to create them? Photo Modeler? Image Modeler? Sketchup?
It will cost some time to prepair an answer.

Cees
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Taurus Flyer

Maybe interesting to show these pictures first in the meantime.
Picture 1 Top Flite Taurus and compared with the crate picture, picture 2
Picture 3 Oldest Taurus on Earth and compared with the crate picture, picture 4
My advice, first read my thread to learn about several methods to copy a plane, especially have attention for posts about the Nixie.
After copy there is one thing to do, PROVE.

Do you know you are the second kit cutter involved with the Ed Kazmirski‘s Taurus thread, the first one never did show up to prove his claim!

Cees

Name:	Pn37976.jpg
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1569113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39812.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1569114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18362.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1569115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35520.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1569116  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
jjpetro

I don't understand your response which I suppose is due to the language barrier. However, your English is better than my Dutch.

I'm just curious what software you used to generate your renderings. It looks like it could have been created with Photo Modeler, Image Modeler, (even Sketchup) or some similar software.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Do you know you are the second kit cutter involved with the Ed Kazmirski‘s Taurus thread, the first one never did show up to prove his claim!

Cees
"KIT-CUTTER"that sounds BAD doesn't it..like some kind of bad name. Jeff is an engineer, just like you are, and thinks like an engineer, just like you do. He should not be viewed as an adversary; he doesn't view you that way.

For the most part, what we have all done on the Ed Kazmirski's Taurus thread is work together and cooperate together. When we had any information to contribute, we posted it on the thread, INCLUDING ALL THE PICTURES FROM ED'S ESTATE THAT YOU HAVE SO FREELY USED in order to make your own Simla. We could have kept the pictures to ourselves in private e-mails, but chose not to, so that everyone, (including you), can benefit.

This is a hobby, and we all share the same interests. It's not like we're talking about "industrial espionage" with patent and trade secrets at stake.

You should accept the complements of a fellow engineer, (and extremely nice guy who has no argument with you), who admires your work, and try to be helpful, as we have been helpful to you.

Duane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.