Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 AM
timid1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

My first suggestion would be to direct your question to Great Planes while you wait for someone with appropriate knowledge to respond on the forum. You are using a heavier motor and a heavy battery. The motor might not fit in the preinstalled motor mount, as well. Other than these remarks, I can't help.

Have not flown mine yet. On G4 flight sim, it tends to fly nose down and skip on the water when landing. I have cartwheeled it several times due to wing dipping. I intend to fly off snow or grass, first.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 AM
The_Mongrel

Hi - and thanks for the reply...

The motor dimensions are OK... I just can't seem to find the recommended motor here in Australia. I can use a smaller battery... I have plenty... I just thought the larger one would help to offset the extra weight at the back. Of course this will go a ways to adding speed needed to land... so maybe that is bad thing.

I wait for someone with some hands on experience.

Cheers
-J
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 AM
timid1

your logic is good. I just went to my bench and checked to see if there was a weight on the 1500 mAh I am using. Sorry to report, there is none.
If you read my earlier post, I commented that I had the Battery all the way forward in the nose to balance the bird with the receiver and esc in the "optional" mounting location. This location is recommended as best to protect against potential water damage. the larger batteries you are considering will not slide all the way into the nose. Therefore, you will more than likely have to add additional weights to get it to balance. The Great Planes web site shows a 3200 battery. I didn't look at the weight. Seems you can add them all up and if they don't exceed the total weight with recommended motor and the 3200mAh, you will probably be ok.

gotta go get ready for work. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
The_Mongrel

Hmmm,

This is strange... At the GP website they state that for a battery, you should choose from a 2100mAh or a 3200mAh battery. The thing is, if you follow the links through you get these stats on the batteries that they suggest...

The 2100 is 180Grams
the 3200 is 270Grams.

That is a BIG difference!!! My 2200 lipos are about 182 grams at last weight. Your 1500 would be about 120 I would suspect.

I have also read that the motor mount does not fit the standard 4 hole star configuration... is this right and if so, how hard is it to mount another motor?

Cheers
-J
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM
timid1

GP lists five batteries from 910 to 3200. The manual lists three: 910 through 1500; and, the web site shows the two larger batteries. I went with 1500mAh (GPMP0613) due to price performance analysis and fit.

The star bracket on the RimFire 28-30-950kV (GPMG4560 mfg. recommended motor) is removed and longer screws are supplied with airplane to install in prefab wooden motor mount.

One other thing, get the recommended servos as the servo tray mount seems only to work with that servo's demensions.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
DougV

Guys:

Just got mine today, I'm planing on using TP 2100, since I have plenty of them from my T-Rex heli.

Regards,
Doug.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 AM
The_Mongrel

I decided not to purchase this aircraft. I went down to the LHS and had a good look at it. It is not easy to mount a conventional brushelss motor as GP use a 3 hole mount - NOT the standard star mount you see on conventional aircraft. It appears that they would like you to ONLY purchase a rimfire motor. Now this is very bad for me as I have about 15 brushless motors of varying size... why would I want to purchase yet another one for this plane.

Too bad Great Planes... you won't get my cash!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:55 AM
dvagge

Where are you guys ordering your Seawind from? Towerhobbies is out. All of our LHS are out of stock. Seems like a very popular plane and the demand has out stripped the supply.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
DougV

I found mine at my LHS, sitting there on the shelf full of spider webs
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM
timid1

LHS. I called around until I found one, jumped in the car and drove the distance.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM
The_Mongrel

There is a ready supply here in Australia!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
jmupilot

why did you base your decsion on the mount? I put in another motor and it didnt even require any mods to the mount. Its a 4 hole mount motor too. Only used the top hole of the existing mount and the other 2 screws went above the cross brace and with a washer. Its is just as secure as the 3-holeRimFire motor. You may want to rethink your decsion to not get it.

Pete
Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: jmupilot

why did you base your decsion on the mount? I put in another motor and it didnt even require any mods to the mount. Its a 4 hole mount motor too. Only used the top hole of the existing mount and the other 2 screws went above the cross brace and with a washer. Its is just as secure as the 3-holeRimFire motor. You may want to rethink your decsion to not get it.

Pete
WOW... could you please post a picture... as I would really like to get this plane if I can put my own brushless in it! I would be grateful.

Cheers
-J
Old 01-26-2008, 03:34 PM
jmupilot

Here are 2 pictures that you can see how I mounted a 4 screw brushless motor to the 3 hole Seawind motor mount. You can see where the top screw goes in the top mount hole, and the 2 side screws go above the ply crosspiece for the 3-hole RimFire. The motor can not go anywhere because its is held in place by the ply cross piece. I only had to slightly notch the cross piece to get the clearance I needed to get the mounting screws in the motor. I did this with my dremel tool and a 1/8" router bit. It cannot rotate or move, its is very solid. I guess you could place a washer on those 2 srews if you desire but I havent found it needed. The brushless motor I have in my Seawind is a TeamOrion AVIONICS GustMS with a 1850 Kv rating. It weighs 49gr. which is less than the RimFire they call for. I have a APC 8x6 prop and it pulls just under 12A. Take off on water is in about 75 ft on grass its about 100ft. I can fly at 1/2 throttle, at full it really screams. I have a CommonsenseRC 1350mAh 15c 11.1 Li-po and a 25A WOW ESC. Been flying it all summer and I havent seen any problems with my motor setup.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54292.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	861651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41668.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	861652  
Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 AM
tyler2

I am thinking of getting one of these. How do you seal the motor so that it doesn't get water in it or is it not effected by water?

Thanks
Tyler
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: tyler2

I am thinking of getting one of these. How do you seal the motor so that it doesn't get water in it or is it not effected by water?

Thanks
Tyler
Your motor is not the problem. You can pretty much run a brushless motor under water... it is the ESC and RX that you want to keep dry!!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:40 AM
timid1

The ESC is sealed with the application fo RTV Silicon. The Receiver is placed inside a baloon or plyable baggie or, condom (just trying to add little humor) Seal the baloon with a zip tie (add some silicon, if you like.) Mount in the "optional location" described in the manual. You may need to purchase servo extenders. I found there was too much tension on the wires without them. Tape is then applied around the canopy to further protect from water. Make sure you use painters masking tape as it will not damage foam or lift paint off the fuselage.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 AM
tyler2

Ok thanks for the info. I new the receiver and esc need to be sealed, I just wasn't sure about the motor.

Thanks
Tyler
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
jmupilot

Sealing up the airframe is a good idea, but I haven't seen that much water inside my SeaWind yet. The most ever was when I nosed it in on a windy day, then only about 1 ounce was inside. I dont know your piloting skills but normal flying doesn't seem to take on any water. The canopy is held on with very strong earth magnets, some times it is even hard to get it open. I did have the canopy fly off once after i first got the model and didnt get water inside on landing. The canopy sets in a indented place on my fuse and the raised foam around the edge must seal it pretty good. I think the water that does get in mine is getting in under the wing at the fuselage/wing joint. I may try the old fuel trick of putting some foam wingseal tape under the wing as I dont take my wing off to transport.

Pete
Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
The_Mongrel

Pete - Thanks a bunch for taking those photos... that gives me everything I need to go and have another look.

You are a champ!

Cheers
-J
Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 PM
jmupilot

Not problem hope it helps you make your decision. Like I said in a earlier post the motor size is kinda regulated by the mount inside measurements. The motor I have is 28.8 mm in dia. Dont think you could go much larger there, but there is room for a longer motor. Like the inrunner types. Had mine out this afternoon flying off grass with the set up I have I had a 15 minute flight with each battery. Made 4-5 takes offs and landings during each flight. I think Ive found the secert to landing this little gem. Seems like you have to throttle back on the downind leg and let the plane settle in for the crosswind leg and final. It really settles in on the approach with power off and if its trimmed right all you have to do is just a little flare right before touchdown. Just like landing a fullsize Cessna 172.
Pete
Old 01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Zephyros

I'm also thinking of buying the Seawind EP, the wing and motor tips were great, thanks. I've been working to select what components to use and noticed this warning on Li-Po's:

LiPo Airplane Battery Warnings:
8. Do NOT get wet or expose to moisture.
http://hobbypeople.net/prdcls/battal01.asp

I was going to use this battery, but now I'm having second thoughts:
11.1v 2100mAh 16C Li-Po
http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/182253.asp

Yes I plan to waterseal the receiver and ESC and maybe use some foam to seal the hatches. But now I'm concerned about Li-Po's and Seaplanes. Can any experienced Seaplane pilots shed some light on their use of Li-Po's?
Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
jmupilot

I think they really mean not to submerge the Li-Po's and leave them there where the connectors are kept wet. Most pond/lake water has a lot impuritys in it that will conduct electricity very well. The purer the water the less it will conduct electricity. If you get the Li-Po wet by accidental dunking of your model just wipe it dry and set it out in the air to completely dry out before you recharge. The Manufacturer's have to give you the worst case warning because there are people who do dumb things and then try to sue the companys because they didnt say, "DONT DO THAT". If you short out a Ni-Cd or Nimh you just get some heat, short out a Li-Po and you get fire, a really hot fire. I have 4 Li-Po packs that I have been using all last summer on 3 different seaplanes. One is a GWS Slo-Stik that the battery is completely outside just held on by a Velcro strap. It gets water sprayed on it every flight. I just wipe it off and let it set in the sunlight or blow it dry with a airgun. Havent had it explode yet, but of course it will tomorrow cause i said this today.

Pete
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Zephyros

Hi jmupilot,
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. I also want to try some type of thin foam to seal the hatches, such as I found at this link for the Seawind glow version:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52..._2/key_/tm.htm

Anyone know where to buy this type of foam?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 AM
DougV

Guys:

Is available now

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSAG3&P=ML

Have fun!

Doug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.