Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:27 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

what lake? i would have to go 100mi.....what i think about the seawind .....TOTAL JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

mine flys really nicely off snow, but I could never get it to rise off water. It gets just on step, then grabs one wingtip, starts to skid sideways really fast and then dives the nose under water.

Last time it cost me an ESC. I think I'll just wait for the snow again.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
sirpa

Geeter

You can handlaunch this plane very easily if you keep full up elevator from the beginning. It will then leaves straight from your hand. If you don't , it will go straight to the dirt .
Give it a try again .
Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I learned that on my plane's maiden try. What a mess!
Old 12-02-2009, 03:02 AM
suddaren

Hi everyone!

Yesterday, when flying with my SEAWIND EP, the whole motor mount got ripped of when the canopy hit the propeller. This was because of the canopy, the magnets were not strong enough when I tooked off from grass. I have googled around to find a new motor mount, but it looks like I have to buy the whole fuselage. I have the Rimfire 500 engine, does anyone know how to just order the motor mount? Please let me know, I dont wanna order the fuselage because of the shipping cost to Sweden

Fly safe!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
philjwb

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just wanted to say I recently purchased a Great Planes Seawind EP and I absolutely love it! It probably my favorite plane already and I have many. I fly it on my local lake and always gather a crowd, but it is so quite I never get a complaint. I also flew it on a snow covered field this year which was cool.

It copes with wind surprisingly well, flies faster than I thought and is capable of all but a few aerobatics (knife edge and flat spin not yet acheived)

I couldn't find many comments when I was considering the purchase, especially around the batteries and servos etc. I have lots of 2200mah 3s lipo's for my trex 450 heli and was looking for a seaplane to use them. Great Planes suggest using smaller batteries but I have had no problems at all with my larger ones. I have also used very cheap electronics from e bay comprising a budget 30A ESC, 3 tower pro 9g servos and a "2830-8 RC 1300KV Outrunner Brushless Motor". The motor was $11 delivered! - total electrics cost (except receiver) was only £22!

I get a good 15 mins of running time using the stock propeller and the cheap motor has more than enough power, climbing almost vertically from take off as high as i can see...

A few tips I picked up from varius sites:

seal the esc with silicon.

wrap the receiver in a balloon or bag and seal the end.

glue the wings on (i used a hot glue gun around the wing to fuselage gap after screwing it down with the supplied screw) - I chose not to use silicon since I don't trust the screw to bear all the load of aerobatic maneuvers.

Reinforce the motor mount! - My first bodge to fit the budget motor was a bit weak and it broke loose in flight, luckily this plane flies really well so I was able to glide it down easily. I rebuilt it using more plywood and extra glue. I also pinned the whole mount into the foam using bent paper clips and glue.

I would also recommedn about 25% more aileron throw as the stock roll rate is a bit slow for me.

Flying tips:

Hold the elevator up full when taxing and on take off - otherwise it tends to bunny hop or catch a wing tip.

Accelerate gently when flying low as otherwise it tends to dip.

So, thanks very much to Great Planes and all the people who have added tips that I've used/copied! )

Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 PM
alex_scratch_built

Man Geeter,

Sorry but I think you need to practice hand launches on some flight simulator or something. A FunJet or a seawind takes off no problem for me and many peoples. I have never heard so many problems on take offs as you are describing

I think you just need to get the hang of it!!

Don't mean to be harsh just take the advice and save your planes
Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 AM
DjBac

The 8x6 prop that is provided is a slow flyer prop?

Mine should me in the mail during the next week!!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just switched to a Super Tigre .10 from Tower ($20 for a 1250 kv, 200+ watt motor) driving an APC 9x5 prop. Yes, the prop to fuse clearance is minimal, but the plane gets off the water extremely fast and it allows for more precise power adjustments on landing. Installation does require extensive modifications to the motor mount but it is worth the effort. But be careful, the collect adapter sold by tower weighs almost 15 gms; a smaller one from MPI holds just as well and weighs much less.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
dtacmed

Ok first flight tomorrow. ESC sealed, Receiver Sealed, Wings sealed. Going to tape canopy on. Full up on take off. Anything else?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM
dtacmed

Will have to say I'm very impressed with this plane. I have not flown a plane in years and when I did the hardest I flew was a Big Stik. Full up and Full throttle and it jumps into the air. Flies very stable landing smooth just slow down and stay level and it does the rest. I watched the sales video and could not believe I was flying like that right off the bat. Other than a few "fixes" reinforce and pin wing hold down and checking all the glue joint Great Planes did their homework. Also tape the canopy on and seal the wing cradle I use white 3m electrical tape from home depot seals great, comes off easy and you don't notice it. I split the role in half with a razor knife (be careful) then you have 2 1/4 " rolls. I have yet to have any water inside.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Ive beeen hand launching mine and It flies well on stock setup. Will fly off of snow this year.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM
jumper666

My Seawind's maiden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O8fMX52iGY

gb
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 AM
1130cagle

I fly mine off our clubs grass runway without any problems. Our runway is bermuda which is cut to 1.5".
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
dtacmed

Did the forum die ?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 AM
MR Shood

Originally Posted by Thomas B
Yep, at the school...it lands jsut fine in the grass. The forward hull is nicely armored with plastic edging and covering.

I used what I had around...did not use the Rimfire, but used a same sized GWS outrunner of 1050 Kv and a 1700 mAh Dualsky 3S lipo. The little GWS outrunner is flying the heck out of it, but is running a little warm. Mine weighed about 21.9 oz.

I made it to the local park pond Sunday evening and had some water fun with it, as you can see below. It does like to dig in the wing tip floats on a take off run unless you are fairly careful in keeping the wings level.

This little guy is a keeper, I think.

i jave just rcieved 2 of these models
brand new in boxes
but neither are bind and fly models
i need to supply motors esc and servoes for both as well as props

so if i cant get the rimfire motors (the 3 screw hole mounts) how did you guys aadapt the 4 scrw hole mount motors to the seawinds?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Bob93447

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people, me included, cut off the existing mount and epoxy a piece of lite ply or hard balsa to the foam. Use a few toothpicks through the wood into the foam for better mounting. Adjust the thickness of the wood, or use standoff spacers, to get the prop the right distance in front of the cowl. This assumes the use of a back mounted motor.