Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 PM
djanke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

I just received my Seawind EP kit and I was wondering how many degrees downward and towards the right the motor is supposed to be angulated? Mine has quite a bit, but I haven't measured it yet. I couldn't find the info on the Great Planes website.

David
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
timid1
My Feedback: (1)

My suggestion is that you follow the manual. I don't recall any shimming instructions, whatsoever. I checked my manual. There are none.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM
j.m.

it's just my opinion, but i don't think this plane looks right with a slowflyer prop. I think it needs an APC E series.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
djanke

I'm not trying to shim it. It already has some shimming built into the motor mount. After the motor is mounted, the motor itself is tilted towards the right and slightly downward. The most forward part of the mount where the screws go is angled. Either my mount was messed up and put together incorrectly or this angulation was put there on purpose. I know that on some glow machines, you add shims to counteract the torque. If anyone can take a minute to look at their motor mount and see if it has the same angulation as mine it would be greatly appreciated.
David
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: djanke

I'm not trying to shim it. It already has some shimming built into the motor mount. After the motor is mounted, the motor itself is tilted towards the right and slightly downward. The most forward part of the mount where the screws go is angled. Either my mount was messed up and put together incorrectly or this angulation was put there on purpose. I know that on some glow machines, you add shims to counteract the torque. If anyone can take a minute to look at their motor mount and see if it has the same angulation as mine it would be greatly appreciated.
David

YES IT SHOULD! Is the simple answer. It is called Thrust Angle and most planes have it... even the smaller electrics. It is there to counter the torque that your motor and prop will put out. It should be down and to the right. It can look rather a big angle, but believe me, it should be there. If you were to see the thrust angle on my P51, you would ask how it can even fly.

The down angle is there to counter the amount of lift your plane is producing... so in essence it is pulling your plane down as the wings take it up with lift. If you have no thrust angle, you would find yourself constantly adding down elevator to keep her nose down.

NOW... the faster the plane goes, the more lift is created by the wings and the more "Down" attitude you need. Some set up the thrust angle "heavy" so that at low speed you need UP elevator, but at high speed she flies level.

My advice here is to leave it at stock! You will be fine.

A WORD OF WARNING.... When you are low and slow and you give it full noise, it will most likely "Dip" before it will climb. That is because the thrust angle will push her down. So if you lining up on final and you miss and want to go around... DO NOT give it full noise... increase the throttle slowly and let her climb out.

Good luck!
Cheers
-J
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM
djanke

Thanks Mongrel. That is exactly what I needed.

David
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: djanke

Thanks Mongrel. That is exactly what I needed.

David
Any time!! Just paying forward for all the help and support others have offered me!!

Cheers
-J
Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM
djanke

I just noticed that I didn't receive a phillips wing mounting screw. Does anyone know what size the stock one is?

David
Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM
The_Mongrel

Mate unfortunately my bird is still on the box waiting to be built - and not even here at my house... does it tell you in the manual??
Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM
timid1

Is the screw already inserted in the wing and not extended? Mine was! There is no hardware list in the manual and I don't have a clue on the size. No ability to use caliper, either. Very sorry.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
djanke

The screw was not in the wing, I just checked. The manual doesn't seem to say anything specific about it. I called
Great Planes today to see if they knew the size or could measure one, they didn't. But they did say that they would try to find one and send it out. It's just that picking one up from the local hardware store would be so simple and quick. Thanks anyways guys.
David
Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 AM
The_Mongrel

Does it screw into plastic? Or is it a metal blind nut type configuration. If it is plastic... just get one that is close. If it is metal... take it to the hardware store and find one to fit!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:25 PM
THEKMAN

I got my seawind ep last week and had 2 great maiden flights. I was making a few adjustments this evening and for some reason my ESC is not working. Servos work fine but the engine is "twitchy" when i apply power and does not turnover. I dont think its the motor so I am guessing it is the ESC.
Can anyone tell me if an Align 35A ESC, (5V BEC W/EC3 whatever that means???) that came with my T-Rex 450 SA work with the stock Rimfire 28-30-950 motor? I don't really understand electrics enough to know if this set up will work. My T-Rex is in need of repair after a minor crash and I really want to fly the Seawind tomorrow. If it will work then I will exchange ESC's for the time being.
I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM
timid1

try asking that question in the electric forums. That will get you a faster answer, imho.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: THEKMAN

I got my seawind ep last week and had 2 great maiden flights. I was making a few adjustments this evening and for some reason my ESC is not working. Servos work fine but the engine is "twitchy" when i apply power and does not turnover. I dont think its the motor so I am guessing it is the ESC.
Can anyone tell me if an Align 35A ESC, (5V BEC W/EC3 whatever that means???) that came with my T-Rex 450 SA work with the stock Rimfire 28-30-950 motor? I don't really understand electrics enough to know if this set up will work. My T-Rex is in need of repair after a minor crash and I really want to fly the Seawind tomorrow. If it will work then I will exchange ESC's for the time being.
I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
The ESC will probably work.. the only problem you may encounter is she may be a "Governor" type ESC for helis and may take a while to spin the prop up etc.

If you have the programing chart for it you should be able to reprogram it.

Good luck
Cheers
-J
Old 02-17-2008, 02:59 AM
THEKMAN

Well....I double checked all my connections and everything was good so I hooked up the Align ESC that came with my T-REX 450. Of course I had to solder new bullet connectors! Nothing comes easy in this hobby..let me tell ya. Anyway, same issue as before, engine "twitches" a bit and stops, it never rolls over.

Sooo..it is not the ESC, its the motor. Anyone else have any problems with the RimFires? It sure was expensive enough you would think it would perform better. I will write Tower and hopefully they will send me a new one.

Thanks for the replies guys...guess I wont be flying her this weekend after all.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 AM
The_Mongrel

ORIGINAL: THEKMAN

Well....I double checked all my connections and everything was good so I hooked up the Align ESC that came with my T-REX 450. Of course I had to solder new bullet connectors! Nothing comes easy in this hobby..let me tell ya. Anyway, same issue as before, engine "twitches" a bit and stops, it never rolls over.

Sooo..it is not the ESC, its the motor. Anyone else have any problems with the RimFires? It sure was expensive enough you would think it would perform better. I will write Tower and hopefully they will send me a new one.

Thanks for the replies guys...guess I wont be flying her this weekend after all.
BUGGER! Sorry to hear that! Good luck with her!

Cheers
-J
Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
jmupilot

I had the same problem with a brushless motor on another airplane, It was just after I dunked it on landing. I had to dry the motor out, it had some water in it. You might have a wire loose in the motor itself, also you might try spinning the motor by hand and then hit the throttle just a little. I think I read somewhere that Brushless ESC's get some feedback from the motor, and that determines the correct rotation and timing, thus a loose wire its not getting the correct feedback. I may be all wet here myself but hey its worth a try.

Pete
Old 02-22-2008, 06:41 PM
lee1010
My Feedback: (6)

Thekman, if one of the three motor wires does not have good contact, the motor will act the way your does.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
knotnuts

Has anyone found an after marker spinner that will fit the stock set up, There is something that I don't like about using glue to hold it on.. Probably hard to mount without getting a wobble too.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
djanke

I used this prop nut with a GWS 3-blade 9 x 5. Looks good and allows better cooling than some of the other electric spinners I have found.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHBS0&P=7
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
knotnuts

Looking for something a little less heavy... anyone know of a plastic spinner abot 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 dia., a 1/2A size, maybe??? Can't find one from Tower, maybe I'm not looking in the right place....
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
bigguyplanes

Does anyone know if the current run of Seawinds has had any Mods done to it over the first lot ?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigguyplanes

Does anyone know if the current run of Seawinds has had any Mods done to it over the first lot ?
Hi "bigguyplanes."

The only modification that comes to mind at the moment (I'm on my computer at home) is that we slightly enlarged the hole in the wing and the hole in the washer molded into the wing for the wing bolt. This will make it a little easier for the bolt to "catch" the molded in plastic "nut" in the fusealge and make it easier to detect when the wing bolt has been securely tightened.

Tim
Hobbico R&D
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
lthibault

Hi,

In my case I decided to epoxy and seal the main wing. All electronics were also sealed.

I found the wing attachment too weak and leaving a lot of movement + possible water intrusion. Downside is, if ever my ailerons servo is defective I will need to cut the wing from the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73307.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	912774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94335.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	912775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30620.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	912776  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.