Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

highlighting problem

Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: highlighting problem

Sorry to hear you're moving on tippy. [sm=disappointed.gif] Marc runs a class act and with you having been here as long as I have, I would think that you'd know that. Some of the time there are bigger fish to fry than the one that appears most important to us. There are work arounds and I've told people how to do it more than once as well as some of the others here. I don't mean to be bagging on you but in the world of technology, if you see a problem it's best to have a solution when you keep bringing it up. Lay down the stick bro the horse is dead.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 AM
MT

I thought this problem was just me, it was driving me nuts! I started noticing others must have had the same problem as no one edits their quotes for needless content.
This problem should be a priority, as people can't highlight needless text and pics when quoting, they have to backspace all they way through it. There for they quote everything, and paragraph after paragraph, picture after picture get quoted and duplicated over and over.
I will try to take screen shots of this annoying problem, even more annoying than the annimated advertisements [:'(]
Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Pushrod02

ORIGINAL: MT

I thought this problem was just me, it was driving me nuts! I started noticing others must have had the same problem as no one edits their quotes for needless content.
This problem should be a priority, as people can't highlight needless text and pics when quoting, they have to backspace all they way through it. [:'(]
MT,

If you left click and drag on the last letter of the text you want to highlight, hold down the Shift key and then left click and drag the first letter of the first word to highlight that still works. This is how I did the edit on your quote. Not as easy as just draging across the text but it beats doing the back space thing.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: Pushrod02 ... if you see a problem it's best to have a solution when you keep bringing it up. Lay down the stick bro the horse is dead.
How can it be a dead horse if others keep posting about the problem. Appears this horse is alive and well ...

Want to get truly annoyed with this ... In IE, go to Tools, Options, Advanced ... and uncheck the "Disable Script Debugging" for both IE and Other.

Now see how these great work arounds work.

BTW ... in case anyone is interested ... the debugger errors on LINE 17 on EVERY click in the textbox.
This is where the debugger dies:

function getActiveText(selectedtext) {
//bodytext = (document.all) ? document.selection.createRange().text : document.getSelection();
----> bodytext = (!window.getSelection()) ? document.selection.createRange().text : window.getSelection().toString();
//alert(bodytext);
if (selectedtext.createTextRange) {
selectedtext.caretPos = document.selection.createRange().duplicate();
}
}

As for providing a solution ... how can I??? The RCU software was working fine several months ago. Now it doesn't. Something on the RCU end is causing the issue and I am not an RCU software tech so it would be literally impossible for me to provide a solution to RCU to fix a problem they created.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Pushrod02

ORIGINAL: tippy

ORIGINAL: Pushrod02 ... if you see a problem it's best to have a solution when you keep bringing it up. Lay down the stick bro the horse is dead.
How can it be a dead horse if others keep posting about the problem. Appears this horse is alive and well ...

Want to get truly annoyed with this ... In IE, go to Tools, Options, Advanced ... and uncheck the "Disable Script Debugging" for both IE and Other.

Now see how these great work arounds work.

BTW ... in case anyone is interested ... the debugger errors on LINE 17 on EVERY click in the textbox.
This is where the debugger dies:

...document.selection.createRange().duplicate();
}
}

As for providing a solution ... how can I??? The RCU software was working fine several months ago. Now it doesn't. Something on the RCU end is causing the issue and I am not an RCU software tech so it would be literally impossible for me to provide a solution to RCU to fix a problem they created.
I just highlighted your "error message" from the debug tool by click, drag and delete. Upgrade your browser Tippy. IE 7.0 is available from MS and like always, it's free. (hint, here's your solution) I had another issue with some software and low and behold it FIXED the problem with highlighting a quote here on RCU too.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: Pushrod02

I just highlighted your "error message" from the debug tool by click, drag and delete. Upgrade your browser Tippy. IE 7.0 is available from MS and like always, it's free. (hint, here's your solution) I had another issue with some software and low and behold it FIXED the problem with highlighting a quote here on RCU too.
Click, shift+arrow key, delete does that too.

Let me get this straight.

IE 6 worked great on RCU ... no lack of highlight problems.

RCU installs some code that makes IE 6 glitch ...

I have to upgrade to fix the problem they installed ?

What other features besides being able to do what I use to be able to do several months ago do I gain by going to IE 7????
Upgrading to regain a feature I use to have in a previous version is NOT an upgrade. That's called a patch.

So ... your saying I should install the IE7 patch to fix the bug that RCU can't fix??

If RCU has abandoned the efforts to resolve this issue for IE 6 users (dead horse scenario) ... then RCU needs to make a public statement to the users concerning this. They need to advise all users and future users that RCU no longer works correctly with IE6 and recommends users install the IE7 patch for things to work correctly.

I don't want to go through the up-patch process and then have RCU post the next day "... we fixed it ...".

I want to know that RCU has completely given up all efforts to fix this before I change my software to accomodate their bug.

Otherwise ... the next user with IE 6 will simply start another thread stating they have a problem.

If RCU announced they can't fix the bug and suggests we all install the IE7 patch, then I might be more receptive to the patch.

The last word from RCU concerning this issue was:
RCadmin:: 6/8/2007 10:10:40 PM
... delete files is correct. I am having our developer look at this bug ...
Everything else has been " ... clear your cache and post your browser version ..."

All I want to know is ... what did the developer come up with after two months of debugging???
If the developer says it's hopeless and we all should up-patch, then post it here.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
mvigod
Banned

I have spent almost a grand on my dev's time trying to find this issue to no avail. we cannot duplicate it on our workstations with ie6 or 7 so this makes it very difficult to troubleshoot and solve this. We made some changes which fixed the formatting code on the posting text areas and that broke something on a small % of users for reasons we still cannot determine and likely cannot until we can duplicate it. I have had 2 developers along with myself try to duplicate this and we have been unable to do so. We realize it exists but have no way to test and see what might fix it or if it does.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Nick2618

Well someone needs to send their computer to rcu to trouble shoot there.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:09 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

I have spent almost a grand on my dev's time trying to find this issue to no avail. we cannot duplicate it on our workstations with ie6 or 7 so this makes it very difficult to troubleshoot and solve this. We made some changes which fixed the formatting code on the posting text areas and that broke something on a small % of users for reasons we still cannot determine and likely cannot until we can duplicate it. I have had 2 developers along with myself try to duplicate this and we have been unable to do so. We realize it exists but have no way to test and see what might fix it or if it does.
Does your LINK application work??

Finally broke down and upgraded to IE7. Still has the occasional hesitant hi-lite but much better.

The LINK function is still broke ... yes ... even with the Almighty IE7.

I highlight a word (much easier thanks to IE7) like I did with IE6. I click the LINK button. Prior to RCU installing their unfindable bug several months ago ... when a word was highlighted and the LINK button clicked ... the highlighted word would automatically appear in the URL name textbox. All you had to do is enter the URL and click OK.
You would then see the previously highlighted word as a link. Very simple.

Now that RCU has inserted their unfindable bug ... here's how it works now.

The "add a link" prompt opens empty (blank URL and URL name). You have to fill in the URL name yourself (regardless of what you highlighted). When OK is clicked ... the URL name you entered displaces the highlighted word. It's as if the LINK function no longer is interactive with the post text. It's just on it's own.
So instead of highlighting a word that you want to be a link ... you have to just click where the link is to be inserted and do everything from inside the prompt.

It's sad that IE7 didn't magically fix this problem like it was claimed.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 AM
mvigod
Banned

we will be having a a major upgrade which was delayed due to circumstances beyond our control that will have a wysiwyg editor and solve all this across all browsers. timelineI do not want to give since some of that is still out of our control but I am pushing to make it happen much sooner rather than later I assure everyone