Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Moki 1.8

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Moki 1.8

I have several Moki's and am a bit puzzled why you need the pump. I use FAI fuel, large fuel line (with filter), an O.S. "F" plug and they ( two 210's, two 180"s, one 135) run just fine.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Moki engines do not need a pump if the fuel trajectory is ample and clean. Pumps just add an extra requirement in tuning ability of the pilot.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

To add to the confusion there is another company in Europe making engines that are called Moki in Europe. They were imported by RCS and named RCS by them. They are now sold by Troy Built Models. They make those big radials.
I have an RCS44b2 twin. The box it came in said made in Hungary.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the placement of fuel tank and the size of fuel line is the factor....of a pump or no pump! Capt,n
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM
BASSMANGOLF

This is the first one I have had, I bought it used from a club member it already had the pump installed. I tried bypassing the pump at the field and got it to run., It seemed fine at idle and full throttle but weak in the midrange? Not sure if I need to mess with the low end or not without the pump a lot of guys are using the cline system, I just do not want to spend useless money if the perry pump is just as capable or not needed the tank is right behind the firewall on a Great Planes GS 300 Any suggestions to make the midrange effective??

Thanks Mike
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

To add to the confusion there is another company in Europe making engines that are called Moki in Europe. They were imported by RCS and named RCS by them. They are now sold by Troy Built Models. They make those big radials.
I have an RCS44b2 twin. The box it came in said made in Hungary.
That is world engines, once a partner of Moki until they discovered that Moki had not registered the brand name. So World Engines did and started producing gasoline engines using the MOKI name (not in Hungary though: in Germany, so the made in Hungary was a lie). In love and trade, everything is allowed isn't it?
The true Moki web page is http://mokimotor.com/

Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a regulator for break in. It took a lot of run time to finally break in, once i did i removed the Cline regulator and it runs great. My only issue with this original Moki 1.8 i have is that i only get about a half of gallon of fuel through it then it starts to run rough. Open a fresh gallon and it is back to running great. I am very particular with fuel storage, keeping in my temperature and humidity controlled shop. I haven't flown it for the past couple of years because i have so many half gallons of 5% Wildcat sitting around and never know exactly when it will act up. It's strange, i know.....
Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

i have a Skybolt flown in 1984 TOC probably with a twin Tarton but has a Moki 210 on it now and a pump that came loose so i removed it and have not been able to keep it running or tuned i even bought a 2nd 210 and same results so i am thinking fuel delivery problem although tank and line,s are new..looks a little rich in this video at takeoff it leaned out but ran good until pump problem problem [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJ41L510ps[/youtube]
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, I have had airplanes that when I took off in a "jack rabbit mode"some did the same thing. I think the fuel in the tank is shoved back so fast it is causing the problem. In you video once airborn there is a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust. Maybe it is not a leanout...could it be shoving the fuel back so fast on take-off it kinda creates a few seconds of too much pressure and makes the mix too rich???? My fix was just toonot take off like a car at the drag strip. Worked in all cases. Capt,n
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

As others pointed, they are powerful. I have a 1.35 and if you prime it well (wet) they will start w one flip. I use 0% nitro
Old 09-26-2012, 06:08 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Bill, I have had airplanes that when I took off in a ''jack rabbit mode'' some did the same thing. I think the fuel in the tank is shoved back so fast it is causing the problem. In you video once airborn there is a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust. Maybe it is not a leanout...could it be shoving the fuel back so fast on take-off it kinda creates a few seconds of too much pressure and makes the mix too rich???? My fix was just too not take off like a car at the drag strip. Worked in all cases. Capt,n
Yes i have seen that in other plane,s with the same thought as you do as why..it pretty much runs awesome and i like the to rich smoke when i am flying it looks cool Dean Koger was 1st owner this was one of the first flight with that motor and i believe i got it dialed in later until my pump came loose and i took it out...i got into Jets and poor bipe is just sitting as a piece of history

Steve Rojecki

USA

$30,000

Steve Stricker

USA

$15,000

Ivan Kristensen

Canada

$10,000

Wolfgang Matt

Liechtenstein

$6,500

Gunter Hoppe

West Germany

$6,000

From Bill Glaze:

Some years ago, when there was a biplane bonus, 3 flyers entered Steen Skybolts in the TOC. One of them was the fellow from Oklahoma, whose name escapes me; the 3rd person, I never heard his name.

The judging committee was looking these over, and remarked that Prettner's airplane didn't look scale enough to them to qualify. somebody on the committee said: Well, Steen himself is here; let's show him the planes and see what he says." The others agreed it was a great idea.

They put all three planes together in a room, and asked Steen to comment. He looked at the first version. He commented: "Gee, that looks just like my airplane, paint and all, just like it was shrunk."

Looking at the second airplane: "Boy, that's a perfect version; paint looks just like (Joe Blow's.)

Looking at the third airplane, (Prettner's): "That sure is a pretty model; what's it supposed to be a model of?"

They sent Prettner home.

Later a model magazine in Germany made a big stink about the whole deal. The article was shown to Bill Bennett, who blew his stack, and threatened right then and there to cancel all future T.O.C.'s. Shortly after, Prettner wrote to the magazines saying that, in essence, he had tried to get away with a non-scale airplane, and bore no ill will for his rejection. End of story.

Prettner, of course, went on to win other T.O.C's [1988]. One thing about living in Las Vegas, (as I did for many years) you are privy to the "poop from group." I thought you might be interested.

From Gordon Price:

I think the last contest I was judging was when Hanno claimed he had a 'scale skybolt' ..........(you had to be a thinking contortionist to agree.)

I still admire Hanno for his skills. I have great memories of TOC and would love to go back be involved in some way and see all the friends we made there. Those are real good memories. Chip was a novice then....glad I could help him climb the ladder.

From Mike McConville:

As a point of interest, the two other guys with Skybolts were John Britt and Dean Koger. Both were flying the Dave Skully designed model. That took place at the 1984 TOC, which Steve Rojecki won.

FWIW, there was no 1986 TOC. The next one after that deal was in 1988, which Prettner won (with a Skybolt) and was his last TOC.

From Jon Britt, Grain Valley, MO (near Kansas City):

Mike McConville's commentary about the biplanes at the 1984 TOC is correct. In 1984, Dean Koger and I each flew a Skybolt designed by Dave Scully (Dayton, OH). Hanno Prettner's was disqualified.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Some info that was posted a while back

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10674278
video link at post 10

US distributor: http://www.bj-model-engines.com/
Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
pe reivers