Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Clay Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

After millions and millions of years......................Petroleum; the all natural finely distilled, compressed, and refined in nature's own refinery vegetable oil.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, this is a serious question, one that a search has never answered. How about olive oil as a lubricant for either glow or gas engines? I don't know if it willl mix with either gasoline or methanol, but I am about to find out. I also don't know if extra virgin is better than later pressings. When I cook with it at high temps, it does not smoke off or form a varnish. Comments?

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM
spaceworm

But isn't petroleum oil a mineral oil, not a vegetable oil? Or were Dinosaurs a vegetable? But then oil from them, or Dino oil, would be animal oil, or bird oil, not vegetable or mineral? Maybe chicken fat would be a good oil to use? I am very confused now. What is the truth?

Regards, Richard
Old 10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

What kind of oil should I use in my Jeep?
You should be able to use anything from Afro-sheen to Crisco in a Jeep.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't want to void my warranty (or read the owners manual)!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Actually I'm more inclinded to believe that people do not want to read. This search engine everyone is bashing is not that hard to use. If you don't get what you want for an answer the first time - modify your search and try again. The results come back extremely quick. People would rather have the answer handed to them than do any research for it.
Just my two cents.
John
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Whistling Death

Guys it wouldn't matter if you put an entry in the search box and the prefect answer was personally delivered by a super model someone would complain. It's just human nature.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Whistling Death

Another thing, I love it when a guy put lots of punctuation marks on their subject line, like we can't already see it at the top of the forum anyway.

********###########!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????? OIL MIXTURE HELP ??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!########### #***********

Don't people realize even you just put a period in the subject line it takes up the same amount of space as all that garbage above.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM
frenchie79

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Guys it wouldn't matter if you put an entry in the search box and the prefect answer was personally delivered by a super model someone would complain. It's just human nature.
I will go on record this 26th day of October, 2010-"Anything delivered to my door by a Super Model (or anything close) I WILL NOT complain"

-###### There I said it&&&&?????
Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

"I recommend Crisco in a 1 to 1 ratio!"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us54580.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1523563  
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM
frenchie79

good choice-your (my) engine would last forever! send her
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

hu? 
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

If they don't like the RCU search feature, there are others that could be used. If you type "oil ratio" in Google you can find all kinds of stuff. All you have to do is look. It seems that some really think the only pertinent RC information can be found on RCU. Then again, I believe some fail to think at all.

Worst part is quite a few have read a faqir amount of the information at least nce but have some desire to engage in oil debates without any first hand information or experience. They will argue until the cows come home about some mystcal product they heard about from the friend of a friend, who heard it from some distant cousin of an aunt's grandmother. Worse, they'll quote advertising as being the gospel truth. Gullibility runs rampant in our society anymore.

I'm with you Ed. Nobody pays for my time or experience in any of the forums but some can get mighty angry if I don't jump to the snap of their fingers. The ones that really kill me are the ones with DA and 3w engines when they are asking how to tune or set up their engines. Both companies have manuals online if the owner doesn't have a manual. All they need to do is open one up and read it. Same applies with ignitions when they ask if they can use a lipo or other battery type and voltage. Once again they didn't read the instructions but expect someone to drop everything and feed them what they want to know.
T.O.M.

You used a four-letter word in your post: READ

Reading manuals are so last year.

I appreciate your time and patience trying to help others but sometimes I think we have a bunch of Darwin award finalists on this forum. We do need them, of course, as examples of what NOT to do.

Bliksem

PS - getting old(er) and cranky simultaneously.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

good choice-your (my) engine would last forever! send her
What a coincidence, she just happens to live in Lancaster.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

How about no more threads longer than 2 pages? That's too much reading for any given topic.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Only four pages, and there has been no question or comment explaining how the H and L needles affect the oil ratio of the engine....or is it the other way around?  I forget....
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Whistling Death

''I recommend Crisco in a 1 to 1 ratio!''
UM, WoW.............
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I'll bet that at least 90% of the people here who have used the search function would say it leaves a lot to be desired. Couple that with the fact that it is very cold and impersonal, and you get folks asking questions to which they could find the answer if they wished to fool with the search function for an hour or two. Asking questions, even questions that have been asked hundreds of times, gets you in touch with other folks who share the same hobby. It might even lead into an informative and entertaining conversation in which anyone who feels moved to can jump in. What's wrong with that? If you have no interest in the thread, or are irritated by it, just move on past it.

Would anyone like to bet on what the percentages would be if someone started a poll on the merits of the RCU search engine? And don't get me wrong, I am devoted to RCU.

I have similar problems using any of the modern search engines, anywhere.

The standard internet search engines are garbage and they will not let you be specific enough to actually nail down a search to a given topic. They are polluted with so many commercial interests/preferences that they are a waste of time to use. Ditto the largest auction house on the net. RCU's search is different, but I can't say that it is much better than the previously mentioned searches. Although it does at least partially work.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-27-2010, 03:32 PM
makoman1860

You know whats really funny........people that think "outboard engines run cooler than air cooled".......I find it funny anyway........Oh but wait, thats a whole other argument, based on.....nothing.....that usually ends up being a multi page debate.

So I guess I found something else to add to the list of things never discussed with strangers:
1-Politics
2-Relegion
3-The Great Pumpkin
4-Ethanol
5-Spark Plugs
6-2 Stroke Oil

Whats left??
Old 10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: makoman1860

You know whats really funny........people that think ''outboard engines run cooler than air cooled''.......I find it funny anyway........Oh but wait, thats a whole other argument, based on.....nothing.....that usually ends up being a multi page debate.

So I guess I found something else to add to the list of things never discussed with strangers:
1-Politics
2-Relegion
3-The Great Pumpkin
4-Ethanol
5-Spark Plugs
6-2 Stroke Oil

Whats left??
7-Do you prefer your girl friend over your wife?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I'll bet that at least 90% of the people here who have used the search function would say it leaves a lot to be desired. Couple that with the fact that it is very cold and impersonal, and you get folks asking questions to which they could find the answer if they wished to fool with the search function for an hour or two. Asking questions, even questions that have been asked hundreds of times, gets you in touch with other folks who share the same hobby. It might even lead into an informative and entertaining conversation in which anyone who feels moved to can jump in. What's wrong with that? If you have no interest in the thread, or are irritated by it, just move on past it.

Would anyone like to bet on what the percentages would be if someone started a poll on the merits of the RCU search engine? And don't get me wrong, I am devoted to RCU.

I have similar problems using any of the modern search engines, anywhere.

The standard internet search engines are garbage and they will not let you be specific enough to actually nail down a search to a given topic. They are polluted with so many commercial interests/preferences that they are a waste of time to use. Ditto the largest auction house on the net. RCU's search is different, but I can't say that it is much better than the previously mentioned searches. Although it does at least partially work.

Ed Cregger
Wow Ed, I couldn't disagree more. I find most search engines extremely easy to navigate. The problem most people have is being to specific .... they use too many words. Start simple and refine your search from there. Heck, the newest Google software gives search suggestions with every keystroke. I even find the RCU search to be easy to use and I rarely have to search more than a few minutes for any topic I'm looking for.

Now if I can teach my less than computer literate wife to use search functions ..... anybody can learn!!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
makoman1860

Opppps! Forgot:
8-Healthcare
9-China
10-Ford vs. GM vs. Toyota etc.
11-Abortion
Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Jezmo

''I recommend Crisco in a 1 to 1 ratio!''
If that is Newton's wife in your post, I can't see how he came up the the gravity stuff cuz there ain't nothin droopin on her.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: makoman1860

You know whats really funny........people that think ''outboard engines run cooler than air cooled''.......I find it funny anyway........Oh but wait, thats a whole other argument, based on.....nothing.....that usually ends up being a multi page debate...

Well, You started it! You just couldn't leave well enough alone could you?

I refer you and others to this site: http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oilworks.htm for a complete discussion on the differences in oils for water cooled versus air cooled engines. It is not just a matter of temperature, but cycle of use, etc. The oils ARE very different and cannot be mixed.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

I have managed to mix them all at one time or another. TCW3, 2380, castor, and jaso fd, everything that mixed ran fine and caused no problems over a several hours use. I also ran a whole season on 2380 turbine oil mixed at 4%. This turned the piston skirt brown and smelled horrible but also caused no problems. I was able to get glow fuel to mix with other gasoline/oil mixes with the addition of 2380. Anyway go out and try some new things and keep notes of the outcome instead of dreaming up reasons why something wont work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.