Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 PM
makoman1860
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STOP with the oil ratio threads, please.

Richard,
Cute article, unfortunately wrong in many cases. It looks like it was written by people lacking full knowledge of the outboard oils. Perhaps also some very obsolete 4th hand information. BTW the company I worked for developed the TCW3 performance standard. I wonder what they mean by "heavy stock".....hmmm. Outboard oils are ashless, meaning no metallic ash ( otherwise known as cheap anti-wear additives ) since they dont thermal "shock" due to constant loading and so dont flake carbon off. Also I doubt the author even knew about DFI engines. Oh well, not really worth going into. Just too bad that the rumor is out there that "outboard" oils are no good for air cooled engines. All that being said, its amazing how well a plain staight run mineral oil will protect an engine without additives, just a matter of good base stock ( which BTW is the key to a good outboard oil ).
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, sorry, I guess the ultralight and Rotax engine experts are less so than you are. I wil refer you to them so they can correct their incorrect snd misleading information.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
makoman1860

Richard,
Well, consider that the article is over 15 years old. TCW3 was new.....DFI engines were just going in production.....things change.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM
jedijody

This article was written a few years ago but is still relevant today when discussing the differences between TCW3 and TC/TC+ oils, they are different. Read to the end and you find it is written bysomeone in a position to know the truth.

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jody.

For those that have never seen the results of antiwear additives plating a piston and cylinder wall, just use the wrong oil for the application. Same applies if you over stress an oil. If you are taking an engine to that point you need to reconsider how you are running it.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Here's more real-world test data...

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...test/index.htm
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 AM
makoman1860

ORIGINAL: jedijody

This article was written a few years ago but is still relevant today when discussing the differences between TCW3 and TC/TC+ oils, they are different. Read to the end and you find it is written by someone in a position to know the truth.

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
Again,
At one time there was a difference, but remember that TCW-3 and TC+ (obsolete) are just performance targets, not formulas. You cant say "TCW3 oils have XYZ in them, and API TC+ oils have ABC". Also keep in mind that many times the oils are really the same, just a different dye, perfume, and label. Penzoil and valvoline are known for this, its just marketing. Im not trying to start a fight, I am just in a situation to actually know whats in various 2 stroke oils, of all ratings. If you want to talk further on it, PM me, if you dont aggree for some reason, PM me as well.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Tired Old Man

I won't argue, but being one that puts oils to the test in a lab and real world conditions, accumulating hundreds of thousands of hours of mission and test data, I can assure you there are differences between maring and air oils that make night and day look close by comparison. Then you have custom blends of air oils that make even greater difference.

Since most of you never generate anything above minimal loading on an engine, and the only way the engine ever experiences a serious heat issue is through poor tuning and cooling, none of that probably makes a difference. But for those that push or pull weight, fly for long periods of time, or apply an electrical load on an engine, those differences are profit and loss, life or death, to those that use two stroke air cooled engines. I can assure you, marine il fail early in the day compared to a lubricant designed and intended for air cooled applications. Even among those there are vast differences in performance capabilities.

I don't make oils, I use them. I don't use 10 to 30 year old reference data, I develop new through practical use and application, and use that data to develop new mechsnical products of specific form and function.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:46 AM
makoman1860

Hmmm maybe I should have been a little more clear here. Im not saying that the TCW-3 rating is appropriate for an air cooled engine, im just saying dont discount an oil because its labled tcw-3........get what I mean? Also, well it WAS true that the water cooled outboards ran cooler than air cooled engines some 17 year ago, the same cannot be said now. Look at DFI engines, they have NO fuel in the crankcase to cool the piston, and little if any fuel touches the top side of the piston. Engines have changed, and so have the oils, TCW-3 is a standard for MINNIMUM performance, not an upper limit. Also keep in mind that Walmart TCW-3 is not Quicksilver TCW-3.....not by a long shot!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
spaceworm

Use whatever TCW-3 oil that floats your boat, it is your engine.

Sincerely, SPACEWORM, Club Saito # 635
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM
makoman1860

Richard,
Glad I have your approval to do so . Like I said, its not worth an argument, and in fact an argument is pointless. Unless someone has the actual components and percentages of the oil they are using, or think someone else should use, they just have an opinion. Luckily some of us actually know what is in the oils, and try to help others in the process. Its a hobby afterall......not something to get angry over.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Are these expensive 2 stroke aircraft engines really delicate or something? I bought a Weedeater 10 years ago, never broke it in and have run the piss out of it. Never even checked the spark plug. Only maintainance has been to clean the air filter. The whole thing only cost me $44 on sale at K-Mart and it still RUNS GREAT! Can you imagine how long a Echo or Sthil would last?

I plan to purchase a DLE-20 in the near future and I hope it gives me half the service of my $44 weedwacker without sweating about brand of oil, break-in, oil ratio etc. etc.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I just knew this thread was worth watching. This kind of entertainment you just can't buy.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
makoman1860

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

Are these expensive 2 stroke aircraft engines really delicate or something? I bought a Weedeater 10 years ago, never broke it in and have run the piss out of it. Never even checked the spark plug. Only maintainance has been to clean the air filter. The whole thing only cost me $44 on sale at K-Mart and it still RUNS GREAT! Can you imagine how long a Echo or Sthil would last?

I plan to purchase a DLE-20 in the near future and I hope it gives me half the service of my $44 weedwacker without sweating about brand of oil, break-in, oil ratio etc. etc.
It probably will, looks like a low stress engine. Mean piston speed is only 2057ft/min at 9k. I somehow question the HP rating at 2.5 at 9K, seems a bit enthusiastic as thats a power density of 125hp/litre. Now if that was with a tuned pipe and cold engine......... I guess I would expect closer to 1.7-1.8 HP at 9k. In contrast the Merc 300 optimax has a mean piston speed of 3097 ft/min at 6k with a power density of 93hp/litre.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In reference to the DLE20. Many quoted HP figures are a joke if you look at BMEP. I have a spreadsheet were I collect real world RPM with props from various posts and reviews for engines of interest. Specs that are out of line quickly become apparent. The DLE20 appears to actually make about 2HP at 9k.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

According to people that are flying them they report slightly more actual power than a Saito 1.25. That works for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
makoman1860

Hmmm 2.0 horse at 9k, 100hp/litre.....well I could buy that for a wet 2 stroke thats designed well and power is measured at the crank with no accesory losses. Still, pretty low stress, should live a long time.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: makoman1860

It probably will, looks like a low stress engine. Mean piston speed is only 2057ft/min at 9k. I somehow question the HP rating at 2.5 at 9K, seems a bit enthusiastic as thats a power density of 125hp/litre. Now if that was with a tuned pipe and cold engine......... I guess I would expect closer to 1.7-1.8 HP at 9k. In contrast the Merc 300 optimax has a mean piston speed of 3097 ft/min at 6k with a power density of 93hp/litre.
Now we agree on something HP ratings. So many of the small engines have never even been close to a dyno, let alone mounted u to one, yet they have absolute HP ratings. Better still, people believe them because they read it in the manufacturer's advertising. There's only 4 or 5 engine manufacturers out there using real dynos, and I'm just about 100% certain there's not a Chinese engine in the bunch.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

So I was wondering...

I have a DA 50 that is brand new. What oil ratio should I use for break in? Then, what should I use after break in. Then, what should I use when it has about 1000 hours on it?[]

Sure, the same threads get old but let's face it, RCU's search bar sucks. So if you don't want to read yet another thread about oil ratios, do what I do: go to the next thread. Works every time.

Brian
I wouldn't worry about the oil ratio at a 1000 hours....It will not run that long
Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

*snip*
I'll give you the same answer you afforded to me when I asked a question about the DLE20.

a-hem...

"deal wih it".
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

I'll give you the same answer you afforded to me when I asked a question about the DLE20.

a-hem...

''deal wih it''.
Sure you don't have me mixed up with someone else? The only question I've seen you ask about the DLE 20 is about the prop.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Experten109/40

about making the engine noise less annoying.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Whistling Death

Sorry about that, it's hard to tell how a guy means something without actually hearing the words. Didn't mean to sound ugly or anything there just isn't any way to get around the sound of a 2 stroke rc gas engine. The only thing I miss about glow is the 4 stroke sound.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can run a four stroke gas engine
Old 10-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Experten109/40

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Sorry about that, it's hard to tell how a guy means something without actually hearing the words. Didn't mean to sound ugly or anything there just isn't any way to get around the sound of a 2 stroke rc gas engine. The only thing I miss about glow is the 4 stroke sound.
no worries buddy. I'm just passionate about what I put in my aircraft. I should have not brought it up.

ORIGINAL: w8Ye

You can run a four stroke gas engine
My wife bought me the Saito FS120. when she sees the visa statement for the
dle... well let me just say it ain't gonna be pretty lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.