DLE plug question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE plug question

p-40k-5
these forums are here to help each other if you dont agree with some ones thoughts just add yours and not the bad kinds ie this is what i would do or a web page that shows the needs ,and let the asker make up his or her mind i been attack a couple of times by people who are well anversed in the hobbie and to them some questions are dumb but too others who dont know much, i would say asks away there no such thing as a dumb question as for the people who attack , you need a hobby those who help thank you very much for the help, now back to the forum
Old 12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gentleman,

I'm very much humbled seeing so many of my good friends come to support me and my position, even twothat I look up to with great admiration, thank you so much, checks are in the mail.

P-40K-5,

Apology accepted and mine is yours if you were hurt in any way. It wasn't really fair, it seems as though you did not know who or what you were dealing with. I do agree that it would seem almost impossible for there to be such a dismal track record for such a simple device, but facts are facts,better than 90% of themwon't last through the engine break-in, that's only4-5 hrs of run time, a great many fail within 2 tanks of gas. Your mileage.......probably won't vary much.

Good luck with your P-40.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
modelman96

Anyone want an engine? I have a 70s or 80s K&B Glow Plug engine. .61 It has ALL of the original papers and EVEN THE WRAPPERS. It has never been ran and it has the muffler and a perry pump. I want $400 obo. message me if interested

Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Texastbird

I'll give you $40 and throw in a genuine Chinese spark plug, barely used.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
modelman96

yea ur real funny
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
FASTGRAMPA

Good Evening All, I have learned alot from these forums, and really appreciate input from people in the business like Jody. Seems to get me to where I need to be faster and with alot less trouble. There is no substitute for experience! Thank you Jody!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM
lazybee

totally agree, both me & my buddy have problem with the stock plugs in DL30, after changing to
champion plugs, it starts right away with a couple of flip. At first I think It was the needle not tuned well
& it cost me my first gasser.

lazybee
Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

This is one of the DUMBEST debates ever...There is only ONE NGK CM6...No matter what the box it comes in says..ONE, no matter what part number it carries...ONE......
Honda and 3W have been using these for YEARS.....
T O M has more DOCUMENTED HOURS with 3W engines running NGK CM6 spark plugs than anyone else on the PLANET....
Champion amd Denso make spark plugs that are the same size within a few thousandths of an inch..It would be interesting to know if T O M has used either of these....
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

So being able to build and finish a warbird somehow magically makes you an engine expert? Hmm, so actually having real life experience with many engines is not required to become an engine expert?

Reminds me of Kettering's law: Going wrong with confidence!

I might differ with minutae on how the experienced amoung us do things, but the basics are indisputable. Good components are required to make things work. Just one weak link breaks the chain. Trying to cut corners and shaving pennies off cost usually leads to disaster. If you don't want to spend an additional 0.00001% on using a proven component, such as a spark plug, then sir you are an idiot.

Good judgement is based upon experience and most experience is gained from bad judgement.

Thanks got to Ralph, T.O.M., Pe, Bill, JediJody et al, for sharing their knowledge on this and other forums.

Bliksem

Old 12-04-2010, 09:39 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Yea Jody, I'm sure you're doing something wrong. You might need to read up on the gas engine for newbies thread. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:44 AM
summerwind

but i don't understand, the DLE cm6 plug lists for more money than the NGK..........so how can the NGK be better?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The NGK is mostly around $6 or more.

O'Riellys and the boat place sell them much cheaper
Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread got me to thinking about the last "serious" warbird I'd built. I think it was an old Pilot kit, a Hawker Hurricane with plans annotated in Japanese and all the measurements in metric. A whole lot of wood sticks and sheets that had to be cut, trimmed and fit. Sooo much work was put into that thing, scale details, covering with clear Monokote and scuffing it for paint to stick, doing the epoxy camoflage paint thing, and hand painting most of the graphics.

35 years ago....
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time flys when you're having fun. For that matter the more I think about it just flys by period.
Pat I am doing a TF P47 ARF right now and it is the first warbird I have done since 1983 when I built a .40 sized Jemco P51. That is almost 30 years, dang that's scary.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM
FentonFlyer
My Feedback: (11)

Any whooo, I just bought 2 CM-6's at my local O'Reilley's for $3.59 ea. Paid for em at 9am and picked em up at 1pm.
Looking at the plugs side by side, there is a clear difference in quality, especially the washer and center electrode.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Tired Old Man

You just bought 4 to 6 years worth of spark plugs.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
wesaysoracing

all 3 of my DLE plugs still look brand new, however the NGK plugs that are in the engines are doing great
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Clay Walters

I have a question though; Why do you crash a plane because the plug goes bad?

It doesn't matter who makes it; all of them eventually fail so does that mean when the engine quits and you crash its the plugs fault?

Heck no, you glide in or its your own fault. Besides, the only way Jody would know they fail is because he's been running them!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

I have a question though; Why do you crash a plane because the plug goes bad?

It doesn't matter who makes it; all of them eventually fail so does that mean when the engine quits and you crash its the plugs fault?

Heck no, you glide in or its your own fault. Besides, the only way Jody would know they fail is because he's been running them!

I've always wondred about that.We used to get calsl that said my engine died and i crashed or my engine went burp-burp and I crashed.
BCCHI
Old 12-04-2010, 07:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One: When flying close to the ground you are often in a ackward position as far as ever recovering flying speed

Two: Many of the so called popular 3D planes essentually quit flying when the engine quits and there is nothing you can do about it.

Three: Many of the popular designs cannot land with no power without tearing the gear out from under them.

I've seen all this happen in the last 10 years. I take note of the planes involved and have made it a point to never own any of the types in categories 2 & 3
Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Tired Old Man

I cheated. I learned the RC side of flying using gliders. You never, ever run out of airspeed. You also learn to manage energy, so you learn how to trade airspeed for altitude and how to land wherever you may be when you run out of both altitude and airspeed. You don't have an engine to blame with gliders.

When electing to fly in a manner that places the aircraft so low to the ground that a safe landing will be impossible in the event of an engine faailure, or when hovering or performing other 3d activities that removes any chance of saving the plane in the event of an engine failure, you knowingly and willfully accepted the risks associated with flying that way. if something happens to the engine a crash becomes the fault of the owner, not the engine, since the owner placed the aircraft in a position from which a safe landing could not be made.

It makes people feel better to say the engine caused the plane to crash but the truth was the crash was induced by pilot error. He made bad decisions.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 AM
summerwind

in this case the supplied plug is at fault.......mfg's fault, not the user who crashes.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A few years ago, I bought a box of the CM6 spark plugs from Napa Auto Parts. As I recall there were 12 plugs to the box. Since I had to order them and wait a few days, the store sold them to me at a bulk price of around $3 each. I don't know what the current price is for these plugs, but it's worth a try to see if your local store will give you a bulk deal.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Clay Walters

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

IWhen electing to fly in a manner that places the aircraft so low to the ground that a safe landing will be impossible in the event of an engine faailure, or when hovering or performing other 3d activities that removes any chance of saving the plane in the event of an engine failure, you knowingly and willfully accepted the risks associated with flying that way. if something happens to the engine a crash becomes the fault of the owner, not the engine, since the owner placed the aircraft in a position from which a safe landing could not be made.
Very well put!

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 AM
summerwind

i think those that are claiming engine failure as a crash are also unsuspecting gas engine users who have not given thought to a faulty spark plug coming into the equation either.
it's usually when something fails that has been a piece of hardware known for this that the user becomes more involved with their gear and then find out from others that the plugs are known to poop out at inopportune times. reallistically speaking though, if these plugs are failing, then why are they supplied with the engines?

when APC started making props back in the early 90's, Dad and i were given sample props to test for performance on our competition Free Flight planes. my prop threw a blade, thus blowing half the model into pieces from the vibrations that ensued.............Dad took his prop off and reinstalled the tried and true FG props we always used. we were later told hmmmm, i guess the props need to be beefed up in the hub to withstand the aggressive HP the OPS 45's were putting out at 23,000rpm...........so was it my fault that a defective piece of hardware destroyed my plane, or was it the test prop from APC?....especially since we were told that these props were designed specifically for FF comp engines.

i will study every aspect of any piece of hardware used in a model i build and fly so as not to have silly mishaps, but there are plenty of people in this hobby who simply buy what's on the shelf, install it, then go out to have fun as it is intended.................bottom line, the plugs should not be supplied with the engine if it is not of the same quality or better than what they are being replaced with, so YES, it is the mfg's fault when an unsuspecting flyer crashes due to a part that the mfg supplied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.