Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE plug question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DLE plug question

CR5, 6, and 7HIX. I have a "somewhat" different ignition from what you have.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:41 PM
jedijody

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean, I've run and still own some ignitions that will melt commom electrodes, like what are used in an NGK CM-6 plug, in just a few hours. Those ignitions are not what one would find on our toy airplane engines. 
Old 12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Razor Hobbies
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i see now. I was like huh, what and then i started banging my head against the wall. Then i realized you were running a different ignition.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Tired Old Man

Use to run the standard stuff but they aren't as good as they could be. They work, but aren't efficient. That's why an iridium plug by itself won't do but a little towards performance improvements.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 AM
rcs36
My Feedback: (4)

Keep the info coming guys. I am very interested in this topic.

I am a nubee to these gas engines and I am finding good info reguarding things that I never thought to concider before, such as the spark plug. I assumed that you just set the gap and torgue and go! I guess I should have known better because I insist on using only the best glo plugs I can get for my glo engines.

I bought an OS GT 55 and it came with the NGK CM-6 plug in its own NGK box. The box had the gap settings on it but I pulled a dummie and threw the box away before I set the gap on the plug. Just last night I was trying to find the correct gap setting and came up with a spark plug site that said .016 gap. So Question: Is the .016 gap OK for break in and then change to the .018 - .020, that TOM suggested, afterwards. I read last night that auto racers like to widen their gaps on their high performance race engines.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcs36

Keep the info coming guys. I am very interested in this topic.

I am a nubee to these gas engines and I am finding good info reguarding things that I never thought to concider before, such as the spark plug. I assumed that you just set the gap and torgue and go! I guess I should have known better because I insist on using only the best glo plugs I can get for my glo engines.

I bought an OS GT 55 and it came with the NGK CM-6 plug in its own NGK box. The box had the gap settings on it but I pulled a dummie and threw the box away before I set the gap on the plug. Just last night I was trying to find the correct gap setting and came up with a spark plug site that said .016 gap. So Question: Is the .016 gap OK for break in and then change to the .018 - .020, that TOM suggested, afterwards. I read last night that auto racers like to widen their gaps on their high performance race engines.

Thanks!
Racecar engines can benefit from larger plug gaps because they have a lot higher voltage to fire the plug across that gap. Our engines are not racecar engines! Our tiny ignitions don't have that voltage reserve.

Stick to TOM's recommendations and you can't go wrong. Your engine probably won't care whether the plug is gapped at .016 or .020 though I'd stick with the wider gap in my engine. Anything in that range will be fine though.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Antique

Our tiny ignitions will fire a CM6 with the side electrode cut completely off..I HAVE done this....Try it and see for yourself.....
Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: Antique

Our tiny ignitions will fire a CM6 with the side electrode cut completely off..I HAVE done this....Try it and see for yourself.....
I don't question your statements but they still don't throw a spark like what you'd see from any race car ignition. Our plug leads and caps would breakdown in seconds to minutes with that kind of voltage. I doubt even the great Ralph would recommend we set out plugs at .060" + for our RC applications. Sure the engine might run as you have proven but how well and for how long.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Antique

I didn't recommend it, just said it would work..Our tiny ignitions will throw a 3/4" spark in dry air...I have a custom C&H here that will spark 1/2" at way over 20,000 rpm....Works just fine in our racing GT80s and 289s, and will be in our new hot rod 40+ hp ZDZ 210....
Can't verify the 40 hp yet, the dyno is not quite completed..
Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Tired Old Man

They will do it, but it's harder on the ignitions.

Too narrow of a plug gap subjects the plug to carbon ball and whisker fouling. Also makes for a colder running plug since the energy the plug was intended to deliver isn't quite there.

The right ignitions can deliver a spark with a 1/2" plug gap but we certainly don't use them. Everything you alter between the ignition and the plug has an impact on something.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The small CD ignitions we use may throw a 1/2 spark in the airin room pressure....but add a 100 pounds per square inch inthe cylinder& see what happens. Capt,n!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

The small CD ignitions we use may throw a 1/2 spark in the air in room pressure....but add a 100 pounds per square inch in the cylinder & see what happens. Capt,n!
Careful there Capt'n .... don't stir the pot!!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Tired Old Man

As I said, the right ignitions can do it, even with 200 psi working against them. Modelers do not have those ignitions. Antique and a few of his friends have some specialty units capable of doing it, plus some specialized commercial flight units have them.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

As I said, the right ignitions can do it, even with 200 psi working against them. Nodelers do not have those ignitions. Antique and a few of his friends have some specialty units capable of doing it, plus some specialized commercial flight units have them.
OK-Thats enough.
BCCHI
Old 12-11-2010, 09:30 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: bcchi

As I said, the right ignitions can do it, even with 200 psi working against them. Nodelers do not have those ignitions. Antique and a few of his friends have some specialty units capable of doing it, plus some specialized commercial flight units have them.
OK-Thats enough.
BCCHI
I did not no I was a nodeler.
BCCHI
Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Tired Old Man

Ya are now
Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 AM
richie5150

MR. SUMMERWIND, MY WISDOM FOR YOU, REGARDING GAS ENGINES, IS THIS... ON A DLE ENGINE, THE PLUG THAT COMES WITH IT SEEMS TO HAVE A VERY SHORT LIFESPAN. OF COURSE, THAT IS NOT IN ALL CASES, BUT FEEL FREE TO TAKE YOUR CHANCES, WITH THE PROVIDED PLUG, IF YOU LIKE. NGK PLUGS APPEAR TO BE A VERY RELIABLE PLUG. THIS WISDOM IS BASED ON MY READING AND COMPREHENSION SKILLS THAT I USED IN THIS SUBJECT FORUM ALONE. MR. jedijody IS THE ONE I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU LOOK TO FOR ENLIGHTENMENT... AS I AM NO EXPERT ON GAS ENGINES FOR RC AIRPLANES. THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE EMAIL TELLING ME THAT MY EXPERIENCE IS SOMETHING WORTH LAUGHING AT AND STATING THAT WHEN I LEARN TO BUILD AND FLY AS YOU CAN, I CAN INSULT YOU. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO INSULT YOU AT ALL. MY PREVIOUS POST, TO YOU WAS AN ATTEMPT TO HELP YOU SEE THAT IN YOUR 20 POSTS, ON THIS ONE SUBJECT, VERY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE, IF ANY, WAS SHARED BY YOU. THOUGH MY EXPERIENCE IS ONLY 2 SEASONS OF FLYING, MIND YOU OUR SEASONS ARE PRETTY SHORT HERE IN CHICAGO, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SOME OF THE BEST FLYERS IN THE CLUB THAT THEY CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST I AM LEARNING TO FLY SPORT AND 3D MANEUVERS. HEARING SOMEONE SAY THAT I CAN FLY BETTER IN 6 MONTHS, THAN THEY COULD IN 23 YEARS, SAYS SOMETHING....I'M DOING ALRIGHT !!! THE GUYS LIKE IT WHEN I FLY MY OUTLAW AT AROUND 125 MPH, ALL AROUND THE FIELD. I HAVE ACQUIRED 7 AIRPLANES, IN 2 SEASONS, AND HAVE YET TO START MY 19TH GALLON OF FUEL. I THINK IT'S SAFE TO SAY, THAT I AM MAKING PROGRESS. AS FOR ENGINE WISDOM, EVERYTHING I OWN WITH A ENGINE,... PURRRRRRS !!! I HAVE NOT SCRATCH BUILT ANY AIRPLANES YET, BUT I HAVE HELPED BUILD SOME AUTOMOBILE ENGINES, MANY HOUSES, MALLS, SCHOOLS, MEDICAL CENTERS, POLICE STATIONS, OFFICE BUILDINGS, EVEN A HANGAR... YES THE ONES THEY PARK REAL JETS IN, AND A COUPLE DOZEN SNOWMEN. I HOPE MY SARCASM IS NOT OVERWHELMING. IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR POSTS AND COMPARE THEM TO THE SUBJECT, YOU WILL SEE VERY LITTLE FOCUS ON THE SUBJECT. THAT'S WHAT I HOPED YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND. DO YOU RECALL SENDING ME THIS........

looked at your profile and pics....LMAO
when you learn to build, then by all means, feel free to insult me, but til you can build and fly something like this, you really should keep your feelings isolated from the talk forums.

I FAIL TO SEE HOW ME BUILDING OR FLYING THIS BIPLANE WOULD WARRANT ME TO BE INSULTING TO YOU OR ANYONE. I'LL TAKE YOUR SUGGESTION UNDER ADVISEMENT AND I'LL RETURN THE FAVOR... BEING SENSITIVE IS GOOD,... BEING OVER-SENSITIVE IS NOT. YOU ARE WELCOME.
BY THE WAY, DID YOU BUILD THIS BIPLANE?, IS IT YOURS?, CAN YOU FLY IT? REGARDLESS, SHE SURE IS PRETTY AND IF YOU BUILT HER, YOU HAVE SOME AMAZING TALENT !!! MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99412.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1533328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29468.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1533329  
Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 PM
captinjohn

It would take me 10 years to build a airplane like that neat old Bi-plane! Capt,n
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Tired Old Man

Take me 5 years to find a pair of up close glasses that would work well enough for me to do it.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take me 5 years to find a pair of up close glasses that would work well enough for me to do it.
well i do have a pair of 2+ power reading glasses

took me 2 years to build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30572.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1533880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72980.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1533881  
Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
captinjohn

There is something in me that always said "GET A PLANE LIKE THAT" but I would not dare to fly one...that nice. Very good job Summerwind!

Capt,n
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: Antique

I didn't recommend it, just said it would work..Our tiny ignitions will throw a 3/4'' spark in dry air...I have a custom C&H here that will spark 1/2'' at way over 20,000 rpm....Works just fine in our racing GT80s and 289s, and will be in our new hot rod 40+ hp ZDZ 210....
Can't verify the 40 hp yet, the dyno is not quite completed..
I can still build a few of these with Syncro Spark timing control but they won't be cheap.
Grumpu no Two.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Tired Old Man

Nor should they be.