Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engine Filters, Where, Which is best?

Having the same weight is nice!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mpascual

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I've had carb screens full of filter fibers and there was nothing but a plain clunk in the tank and no in-line filter.

The fibers must come from the gasoline station?

Sure they come from felt filter. Clunk is always bumping inside the tank, and in some cases it may loose fibers that goes to the carb
Try porex filters and no more dirty or felt fibers on carb screens.

Regards
Manuel,

Maybe he's asking where did his 'fibers' come from, when he never used a fiber style filter?

Beyond that, I agree with you and prefer the porex style.

Did you ever weigh both styles?
Are both the same weight?
One weigh more that the other?

Same weight on both types of picture , Walbro clunk and porex clunk . 0.44 oz. each.

I've tested (for our use in our airplanes, not for industry) many clunks and filters , and my answer to the question on this thread :

And the winner is ......... POREX FILTER.

But, you have not adequately explained why the Porex is better. It may be the equal to the Walbro felt filter and it may be your preference, but I see no advantage to it. Am I missing something? TEHO.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

But, you have not adequately explained why the Porex is better. It may be the equal to the Walbro felt filter and it may be your preference, but I see no advantage to it. Am I missing something? TEHO.

Sincerely, Richard
Actually, it could also be said the other way;

[But, you have not adequately explained why the Walbro felt filter is better. It may be the equal to the Porex filter]
[and it may be your preference, but I see no advantage to it. Am I missing something? TEHO.]

Really depends on which side of the fence you're standing on.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 AM
pe reivers

From Porex tech info pages pore size ranges from 10 - 250 microns. (one micron is 0.000001m or 0.001mm) A human hair is about 60 microns thick.
www.porex.com/fiber_mat.cfm

PP/PE bi-component fibers can be blended with various structural fibers for added strength and rigidity. Our fiber pore size (based on Mercury Intrusion data) ranges from 10 to 250 micron with a 25% to 94% pore volume range (a function of fiber diameter and density). The density range for our fiber is 12g/cubic cm to 0.6g/cubic cm.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 AM
mpascual

Sincerely, Richard
All main specs are the same: weight, price, compact size to fit standard fuel tanks, filtering ....

Some minors advantages , as i´ve posted before:
1 Filtering porex element can be replaced if clogged, or dismantled and cleaned , and is cheap than a new filter
2 Linkage for the tygon is better than others clunks filters. Virtually fits all tygon sizes, neoprene and vinyl for gas fuel lines, and silicone for glow engines.
3 O'ring . If you don't like the o'ring, remove it.
4 Porex does NOT change with fuel absortion like felt filters does.

Comparing two types, the felt filter-clunk does not have any advantage to the porex filter , only i'ts well know and used from time ago.

I hope now is adequately explained my opinion.

And some pictures ( i think i've posted here before...)

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53395.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1579959   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44798.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1579960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21962.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1579961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42888.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	1579962  
Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 AM
pe reivers

Sent you a PM
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 AM
spaceworm

Sincerely, Richard
Actually, it could also be said the other way;

[But, you have not adequately explained why the Walbro felt filter is better. It may be the equal to the Porex filter]
[and it may be your preference, but I see no advantage to it. Am I missing something? TEHO.]

Really depends on which side of the fence you're standing on.
That is exactly my point, it really is a matter of personal preference.[8D]

However the one source (fleabay) I found for Porex filter for our application is much more expensive (3.32 pounds plus 7.60 pounds from the UK) that the Walbro filter I use. That differential may be reversed for users outside the US.

Sincerely,

Richard
Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 AM
a1pcfixer

However the one source (fleabay) I found for Porex filter for our application is much more expensive (3.32 pounds plus 7.60 pounds from the UK) that the Walbro filter I use. That differential may be reversed for users outside the US.

Sincerely,

Richard
Actually, Manuel brought up one advantage I hadn't thought of. The ability to change the element.

I just searched fleaBay for all 3; Porex seems to be a UK item, in the US it'd be the Poulan unit, but the Walbro's are a bit higher priced.
The Porex & the Walbro being higher priced than the Poulan.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM
mpascual

Sincerely,

Richard
Actually, Manuel brought up one advantage I hadn't thought of. The ability to change the element.

I just searched fleaBay for all 3; Porex seems to be a UK item, in the US it'd be the Poulan unit, but the Walbro's are a bit higher priced.
The Porex & the Walbro being higher priced than the Poulan.

Porex filters are now used by Husqvarna, Sthil and more ... Soon, felt clunks will be discontinued and replaced by porex filters, and many people must change their post and replace the word 'felt' by the word 'porex' ...
And the subject of this thread is Which is the best, not wich is the cheapest. For me, on the supplier where i buy , price is the same.

I don't undesrtand why people can post about a filter type who has never seen, never tried and don't know anything about. Maybe i'm wrong, but i only post about two filters, engines, airplanes or rc products when i've tested both and i have a lot of experience and knoledge. I'm servicing hundreds engines/year , i always ask the owner about gas, oil, prop, break-in procedure, filters, ..... None of porex-filters users report me clogged carb screens anymore, no more felt filters installed, and i'm using porex filters more than 2 years ..... and current version is better.

About the ability of filter element change, my supplier sold me some replacement porex element time ago but now i'ts not necessary, and now he doesn't carry the filter element only, but i've tried to use compressed air to clean with success. Very difficult to do with felt clunks.

Regards
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM
a1pcfixer

I agree, but old habits die hard.

One bit of clarification, "porex" is a registered brand name.
So maybe it'd be better to say porex style filter/clunk -or- ceramic style?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porex clunk/filters are better than felt type filters, at same price but some advantages.
Many chainsaws shops are replacing felt filters by porex filters, and now it's difficult to find the felt type. ( here in my country).
You can find the best clunk/filter on e-bay ... http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=390287846515
When you try one , you will never want to use a felt type anymore.

Regards

The strange thing is , most people will not try one. I did and they work fine. Capt,n
Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Tired Old Man

I never said they didn't work, but if you have an abundance of one, why purchase others? If you don't have easy access to one type, go the other type. The Pourex style would be fine for carbureted gas engines as long as it was within the 10 micron filtration standard.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 AM
kennethcolesiny

Thank you for this information. I just ordered one.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the guy that wants the benifits of both clunk filters..use a main tank (on C.G.)with the felt pickup and a second "head" tank (small &closer to engine)with the porex style. The felt pickup will suck ever drop out of main tank...the head tank should remain near full most of the time...a good benifit. Hey....try something new ! No harm in experimenting.

Capt,n
Old 03-19-2011, 01:47 PM
pe reivers

The porex filters also empty the tank to the last drop because of their capilary action. Having done some internet research I found that they can engineer the PE-fibre grid pores so the filter will work to Ryobi spec of 125microns down to 10 microns. With felt, it is hardly possible to engineer pore size. Felt just filters very well. period.

Having said that, felt has extremely long tough fibres (hairs) which do not have a smooth, but scaled surface. This enables felt to catch particles that find their way through a similar pored Porex filter. OTOH, Porex does not dry out in fuel like felt does, so there is a pro again. I would be inclined to stock up om porex sheaths to replace the felts. Still not certain about this until further reports are available. Manuel states that his supplier abandoned the sheaths because nobody needed them any more. Color me sceptical, but I am inclined to believe him because he does a lot of maintenance work.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Tired Old Man

Simply change either type of filter on a regular maintenance schedule and have no worries. The felts easily go 100 hours using race gas but the average guy does not use racing products. So a 50 hour schedule for pump fuels should be fine. Discoloration of either filter type might be another qualifier for change cycles. A two filter system of either type, one in can and one in tank, handles filtration requirements extremely well. Far better than most ever consider with their automobiles.

The only problem with either filter does not lie in the filters, but in the users. Many people appear to think that once a gas tank is plumbed, it and any associated components are good forever. You see them on engine forums all the time complaining how their fuel lines hardened like it was a big surprise. I suppose if you have been usedto silicone tubing it might well be. Annual maintanence is required, and that often mean changing the lines. When the lines are changed the filter is changed. Nothing lasts forever and aero modeling is no different from "real" aviation. You have to inspect and service your equipment on a regular basis for all of it to function as it should.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 PM
pe reivers

In a perfect world, this should be the standard winter checkup routine.