Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brison engine ignition problems.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
corry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brison engine ignition problems.

I have a 3.2 Brison engine which runs great for the first flight, then begins to lose power and runs rough. I have a cimmaster ignition unit and I believe it needs to be overhauled. Who services these ignition units ? Thanks, Jim
Old 03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Brison engine ignition problems.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3834900
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
w8ye

Cimmaster is the ignition supplied on the brison after Revolution bought them. Brisons have had several different ignitions over the years. Mine has a CH ignition.

The ignition may be getting hot? They seem to have a higher current draw than the CH or RCEXL ignitions
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM
BadAzzMaxx

If it is the ignition probably be cheaper and better just to replace it with a RCexl ignition.

Milton
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corry, Is it the Brison with the mechanical advance? Dan.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
corry

Nope, it is fully electronic.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
All Day Dan

Corry, All my Brisons have the mechanical advance. Some how I wound up with a CH one that has the electronic advance. I can mail it to you if you want to give it a try and then return it. The RCXLs are also compatible, I think. Dan.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan,

You should keep the CH. Anything that is currently using an RC Exl is compatible with it. Cory would need to come up with $76.00 or so for an RC Exl but you would be giving up the best ignition made to date for a gas engine. It's the ONLY small engine ignition that survived severe and prolonged vibration and heat soak testing in a government style lab environment. Previous market value about $125.00. Current market value: Priceless. Is giving it away really what you want to do?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
corry

thank you Dan, I borrowed a friend's Cimmaster ignition and will try it out this weekend. If it works well, I would then know where the problem is. Then I might try yours and buy it if it works. Thanks, Jim
Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
All Day Dan

Sorry Jim but the previous post by TOM just talked me out of it. As long as the RCXL one is usable I'll hold on to the CH one. We can all hope the Bill at CH gets well enough one of these days for his own benefit and all of us who benefit from his products. Dan.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:13 PM
corry

thanks anyway Dan. by the way, I wasn't looking for a handout. As my previous email stated, I would have bought it from you. You certainly have a more generous and willing to help nature than tired old man does.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Tired Old Man

I believe the Cimmaster uses the same hall sensor as RC Exl and CH. The timing is the same.

You're right, I wouldn't give away any of my CH units. I know how good they are and how long they will last in the most extreme conditions. I was there during the testing and field use. They are the only ones that will. So no, I will not give away gold when a lesser material would do. I have no regrets for not doing so.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
corry

it wasn't you who was trying to help; it was someone else who was feeling like helping. I don't surf the RCU website and tell members who are selling or trying to help someone that they are underselling their products. that really is more or less interfering
Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Tired Old Man

Another than belongs to the entitlement generation. Dan was trying to help you. I was trying to help Dan since I felt he may not have known what he was giving away. It's not his fault or mine you bought a 2nd rate ignition unit. I try to help people I've developed an online relationship with over time. You were indirectly helped because you learned of a better ignition than what you have that sells for less than an OEM replacement.

You think you got the short end of the stick. Not my problem. I did what I still believe to have been right. I could have done it in a PM where nobody else would learned the value of the CH product. Stop whining. It's not manly.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
w8ye

The RCEXL igntions have a very good reputation and would be a fine replacement on your Brison 3.2
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
corry

Tired Old Man, why don't you scan the RCU for items that are for sell and email everyone who you have developed a relationship with, and notify them everytime you think they are buying something that you think is overpriced. Be sure and tell them what everything should sell for and how valuable you think everything is. Then you will find out how popular you are. Manly has nothing to do with it. If you read the email, you would see that Dan wasn't giving anything away. He was helping me with a diagnosis and he had stated that I need to send it back to him. I have a good rating with RCU and he is a guy that can trust others. Then you come along and basically tell him that he should not be helping me in that fashion. AS far as entitlement is concerned, lets compare the taxes that you pay to the ones that I pay. I earn everything by hard work and I still work at the age of 61. As you get more personal with these emails, I have a feeling that you are on shakey grounds.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
corry

Mr. Moderator, thanks for the advice on the replacement ignition. Would you please read the email exchanges between myself and Tired Old Man. Let me know what you think of this situation. I will take your advice. Thanks, Jim
Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Tired Old Man

I rest my case.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

So,

I have a similar problem, but I need a replacement for a 3.2 w/mechanical advance.
I'm using one from a 4.2 I've had laying around, but would like to get another so both motors are complete
What make/model should I look for?

the oem unit only lasted 12 years?? has that burned electrical smell inside,,, what's up with that?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 AM
BadAzzMaxx

You will need one of the earlier models that does not have the timing retard and advance.

You might get one by putting a add in the wanted section in the for sell forums here on RCU or check with Ralph and see if he has one.

You can use a RCexl ignition but you will have to set and lock the timing on your engine to 28-30 deg before top dead center.

Mitlon
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Tired Old Man

Nobody is making fixed timing ignitions anymore. If you cannot locate a used one you would have to do as Maxx suggested above and convert the engine to an electro advamced unit. Very easy to do. Purchase an RC Exl ignition. Remove the mechanical ignition linkage from the carb, drill and tap the ring for a set screw, time the engine to 28* BTDC, and lock down the set screw against the hub.

Another reason that CH syncro spark has good value. It can be used to "upgrade" an engine after a fixed timing unit fails.

Scale only 4 me,

Somehow you managed to let the smoke out. Since it had been trapped inside the case it was like a fart in a bottle and dying to get out. Once the cork was loosened it was all over.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 AM
All Day Dan

scale only 4 me,
Get in touch with Bill Jensen at [email protected] or Arthur Leung at cimmaster.com. Either one will be able to help you. Dan.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:20 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

OK,
After using the Ignition from the 4.2 for a while. the OEM sensor on the 3.2 finally died too.

I've decided to convert to Elec. advance, But the question is where do I find a 7mm round hall sensor?
What type/configuration sensor comes with the Rcexl??
Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 AM
w8ye

You are not looking at the hall sensor. The 7mm tube piece is a a section of control rod. The sensor is glued inside the piece of control rod with RTV.

The bare RCEXL sensor and wire lead will fit inside the tube.

Here is the tube material if you want to make a complete new one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB901&P=7
Old 07-04-2011, 05:57 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Also if your engine has throttle coupled timing you will have to fix at at 28-30 deg.

Unless you can find a original fixed timing CH ignition.

Bill (bcchi here on the forums) might still have a few of the sensors,

Milton

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.