Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA60

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Smallpaul01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA60

Ihave an aeroworks edge 540 powered by a DA60 Iam using a EQ6 smartfly with a DX7 radio and my throttle servo glitch only in flight it will not do it on the ground Ihave changed the throttleservoand the receiver relocated the ing wire and put a data logger on it and it shows nothing if any body has any ideas let me know thanks
Paul
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 PM
hanko

Default RE: DA60

how far away is the throttle servo from the ignition. I had that problem once, possibly might have just been the Fuji ignition. just a thaught
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would help if you post pictures of your set up. had a pproblem where my throttle servo would glitch on the ground at lower rpms(servo wasinstalled at the bottom of engine box with ignition module at the top). relocated theservo back into the airframe just ahead of where the elevator servors are located and no more glitching.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Smallpaul01

I have an aeroworks edge 540 powered by a DA60 Iam using a EQ6 smartfly with a DX7 radio and my throttle servo glitch only in flight it will not do it on the ground I have changed the throttle servo and the receiver relocated the ing wire and put a data logger on it and it shows nothing if any body has any ideas let me know thanks
Paul
First thing I'd do is either call Bob or post in the Smart-Fly support forum here....
Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

have you tried a different channel?

ie: plug the ail servo into the throttle channel... does anything happen?

cna you plug the throttle servo in to a different channel?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Smallpaul01

I have tryed different channels on the smart fly and it does the samething I have also called bob at smart fly he told me to move the ing. wire so I did and it didnt fix it the  throttle servo will work fine when plane is on the ground like I said I have also put a data logger on it and it doesnt show anything the scary part is it only acts up when I get about 2 minutes into the flight the throttle servo starts to act up
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

hmmm...what exactly is happening?

You say it is a throttle servo glitch, and it only happens in the air?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Smallpaul01

yea the throttle servo starts to glitch after I do about  2 laps around the field you can hear the engine go from 1/2 to 1/4 to wide open I only got it to glitch once on the ground I then changed throttle servo and now it only glitchs when flying
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What happens if you don't power the servo through the power expander? Have you checked the security of the spark plug cap? Have you checked the switch connections? Have you checked the condition of the battery leads? What kind of linkage connections are you using? Metal to metal at the carb end? How about at the servo end?

The servo obviously was not the problem.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Smallpaul01

I have used this throttle servo in a different plane and it works just fine have also checked all batt connections and all smart-fly connections I have even moved my satlelight recver away from the smart-fly I have a plastic ball link on my carb linkage and the same on the servo with a plastic servo arm have also checked the serurity of the spark plug cap and its tight
Old 07-20-2011, 08:50 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I'll bet your throttle is going into failsafe due to the ignition swamping the RX. I had the same symptoms on 2 GS planes with DA 85's and spektrum equipment.

You probably bound the plane with the throttle position at low throttle, correct? In my case I was also blaming the throttle servo because I didn't realize I was briefly losing control (of the entire plane) but the most obvious symptom was the throttle servo would attempt to go back to idle (my failsafe position). All other channels should hold last known position.

I verified the issue by doing range checks on the ground with and without the engine running. Two different RXs and two different TX's were used in my case, which helped me narrow down the problem to my ignition noise. Initially, I swapped the throttle servo, but of course in my case it didn't help either.

As others have said, check your grounding on the spark plug. I suspect it's worn or you may have other IGN issues. You can verify my theory by doing range checks with and without the motor running (on the ground).

Joe
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Smallpaul01

I have done range checks on the ground with the plane running and not running with a data logger on it and it shows nothing one test I did do was I had my buddy hold the plane with it running and I walking a good 1/4 mile away and the throttle servo was working fine but once I take off and do about 2 laps around it starts to act up I will check my spark plug cap again but everything in my plane is new the engine is not even broke in yet

Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 AM
weezle

Are the lights flashing on the RX indicating a reboot? would a momentary reboot kill the ignition causing a deadstick?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Smallpaul01

no the lights are not flashing on the RX  I have done alot of dead stick with the plane because of the servo glitch so when I get about 100 feet of the deck I kill the engine and land the plane
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it doesnt do that on the ground and does in the air then the only thing different is air speed.
air pressure in the cowl could be pulsating and causing the plug boot to be intermittent??? causing RFI???

is the servo strong enough for the application, do you have spring on throttle, is the pushrod stiff or flexable?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Smallpaul01

yea the servo should be strong enough its a hitec 5645 and its a metal push rod with plastic ball links on each end Iam really thinking its the spark plug cap so I will just order a nother one from DA
Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other difference between in the air and on the ground is that the receiver may not see the radio signal. Are the receivers (dual one?) installed properly? In particular, the antennas?