Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Bme 55 Xtreme

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 07:07 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bme 55 Xtreme

This is the latest....just received this from Keith today.....not much, but I did ask about performance. As you can see in the post, he is testing cranks right now.

Jeff,

I think you are about # 24 or 25. I am sorry its taking so long to get these out but I sure dont want to sell a lemon to you guys so we are being careful. I am waiting for some crank samples to come in and be tested before we go into production.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 PM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

That is good to know. I am on the list, though not to sure where. Do you guys think this will be a good choice for a 28% 330s 84" built light as possible?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:49 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

Thanks Jeff,
I sure do not want one even a minute before it is ready. I got no money for bad engines and if it take until this time next year for whatever reasons, so be it. There is still the question on what airframe this engine should go on. If it really comes out to being light (with all the things that make it work) then it should deserve a very very light kit built plane in the 10-14 lbs range AUW. Thanks for relaying the infor from Keith!

Joe !~)
Old 08-18-2003, 09:55 PM
CAPtain232

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

No problem guys....

This engine should be AWESOME on anything weighing less than 17 or 18 pounds. Due to the engine being as light as it is supposed to be, it should make the average 18 pound plane weigh about 17 pounds. Radio gear may have to be moved forward, to acheive desired CG, but this is nothing new.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:57 PM
GoeKeli

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

What I am curious about is what will this engine weight all up with the mount, ignition, battery, prop nut and anything else that has to be used and is not in the advertised view. I weighted my BME44 with all nessary components and it was close to 4 lbs. A zenoah G45 is 4.5 lbs!~) I am not sure how the 55 will do next to say a G62 on igntion. I think people have shaved them down to under 4 lbs. I'm really crossing my fingers that this engine will be well under 3lbs with everything is "needs" to run on a plane. I need to find an airframe that is 15lbs or less to make a project like this worth it IMO,

Joe !~)
Old 08-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

Joe, unless you add in a vibrationmount, the BME 55 has the mounting lugs cast into the back of the crankcase, so all you do is bolt it to the firewall in the same fashion as a twin.

Weight for the 55, bare, is just under 2 lbs (Including plug and prop nut pieces), so add in 3 ounces for the ignition, 5 for the muffler and then whatever the prop , battery, and spinner add to that.

2.5 lbs ready to run, add in 6 ounces for a battery and switch harness and you are still under 3 lbs.

Compare this to the Brison 52cc engine that just came out, that weighs 48 ounces BARE, and the BME is a solid pound lighter (similarly equipped), and is also about a pound lighter than the DA 50, Taurus 52, or any other "50cc" class engine.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:10 PM
CAPtain232

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

reallistically, if all the manufacturers would post a weight that included the specific ignition, spark plug and prop bolt(s), then it would be easy to compare all of them as the spinner, prop, ignition battery and mount should be the same for all of them. Obviously if the motor doesn't need a mount, then that is even more weight savings.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:46 AM
GoeKeli

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

Thanks Kris! That is the first time I've heard it broken down like that. Oh, the mount is not separate, hmmm. I can't wait but like I said, what airframe? What would you put this engine on? A special and very light engine should deserve an equal platform. I'm not sure if there is an ARF I'd put it on. Thanks Jeff, your right if they would all agree on or there would become a standard on how the weights should be posted then we would know. I'm just finishing a 3D kit right now and would not mind starting on the 55X project. !~)

Joe
Old 08-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Mayur

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

has BME arrived at a confirmed date for the launch on the 55?? or not yet???
Old 08-22-2003, 02:40 AM
Scott H.

Default What to do with the weight savings

I just lightened the airframe and engine (H9 80" Cap/ BME44) by a little more than 1-1/2 lbs combined. Which gives me plenty of room to add smoke, or a canister, or both. Plane/engine combo was all ready very light.

I added smoke. Just because it's cool

Of course the smoke system sits right at the front of the cowl but it works just great. AND, best of all there are no weight penalties.

Gotta love all this light weight stuff! finally we can do what we really want on an 80" or larger plane. Or, toss the 55 into a 25% aerobat... Yeah, I'm liking this alot!

Scott
Old 08-28-2003, 06:33 AM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default Bump :)

I am waiting and almost turning blue for this answere
Old 08-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Kris^
Banned

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

Goekeli, the Wagstaff ARF EXtra would be a fine plane to put the engine on, and though it is an ARF, it's not a bad flying plane and is a (cough cough .. ahem .. nudge nudge wink wink) "close" rendition of the plane (I CAN'T believe I actually SAID that. . . . .nausea is coming on fast).

A "Properly" done Midwest Cap or Extra would be nice too, as would most of the other 80-90" Kits out there. . . .
Old 08-28-2003, 10:30 PM
GoeKeli

Default Bme 55 Xtreme

Thanks Kris. I had the WM PW 300 and liked it. I'm flying a troybuilt staudacher that is in the range of plane I would like to fly the 55 on. It is under 15 lbs. I miss the airfoiled tail group of the MW extra though. Do you think this engine will be out before the end of the year? Those arfs from extreemeflight look interesting too.

Joe !~)