Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG-60R3

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:37 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing.
I bought a Collector ring from Horizon for my 7-70 and it wasn't nearly that expensive.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:09 AM
G T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scubaozy
Hi GT, with your settings mine is running extremely rich, with 1-1/2 on high end, my 3rd cylinder does often not fire. It could be temperature difference, as it is quite cold right now in Europe. It might also be the fuel. What kind of petrol/oil do you use?
i am using 96 octane - 20% oil mix with Mobil synthetic 2T oil
this is the oil i have used in all my petrol motors.
[h=3]East Coast Lubes - Mobil Oil Distributor, Synthetic Oils ...[/h]
FYI on there oils - closest oil match i found here for the MVVS oil spec's

when i go down south and fly i have to lean out the mixture when in the colder climate same as you, but we are averaging around 36c at the moment here.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:51 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jspauld2
For anyone who is interested, Saito just released a collector ring for the FG-60R3 that we will be shipping later this month. It is item number: SAIG60R3171 and the link.is below. I apologize for not having a picture for this, we will try to get it up shortly. The finish is very nice and it is made from high quality stainless steel.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/fg-60r3-...ca-saig60r3171

Thanks,
Jimmy
Originally Posted by radfordc
I hope it gold plated! You're a $100 higher than Keleo...is it that much better?
And when you buy from Keleo, you are buying an American made product that supports a small business. When you buy from Horizon you are most likely buying a product made in a 3rd world sweatshop and supporting some CEO buying another yacht.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

[QUOTE=Timbers;12181911]I have three telemetry sensors mounted on my FG60R3. I have them mounted right on the big part of the fin by intake chrome pipe where it goes into the jug.

With the canopy off on the ground I get temps around 270F. With the canopy on, and my baffling setup I am getting up to about 305F.

This weekend I am going to attempt to remove the baffle completely and see what temps I get. Theres an individual a couple of posts up that runs without any baffles in a very hot climate and seems to be doing ok.

I have the Tarheel Hal P47 plane, and have not flown it yet. Only ground work so far....

Keep us posted on this. I am having vapor lock trouble with the cowl on here at 5400 ft with winter gas. I wrapped the collector ring with ceramic blanket and it helped ran with cowl on tell the outside temp got up to 50 deg F. then vapor locked
Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Aquaskiman, sounds like you and I are having the same experience with the Tarheel Hal and temps. I made cutouts in the fake radial engine that are perfectly in-line with the three cylinders of the FG60R3. On the ground I'm getting temps 50 degrees hotter with the baffled cowl on.

Heres the graphs of my temperature runs. The first graph is with the cowl off and the second is with the cowl on. The graph goes up and down because thats me running full throttle, then going back to idle. So the temp climbs then cools off when I go back to idle...

[QUOTE=aquaskiman;12182340]
Originally Posted by Timbers
I have three telemetry sensors mounted on my FG60R3. I have them mounted right on the big part of the fin by intake chrome pipe where it goes into the jug.

With the canopy off on the ground I get temps around 270F. With the canopy on, and my baffling setup I am getting up to about 305F.

This weekend I am going to attempt to remove the baffle completely and see what temps I get. Theres an individual a couple of posts up that runs without any baffles in a very hot climate and seems to be doing ok.

I have the Tarheel Hal P47 plane, and have not flown it yet. Only ground work so far....

Keep us posted on this. I am having vapor lock trouble with the cowl on here at 5400 ft with winter gas. I wrapped the collector ring with ceramic blanket and it helped ran with cowl on tell the outside temp got up to 50 deg F. then vapor locked
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	With Cowl Off.JPG
Views:	926
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	2149574   Click image for larger version

Name:	With Cowl On.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	2149575  
Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 AM
aquaskiman

[QUOTE=Timbers;12182579]Hey Aquaskiman, sounds like you and I are having the same experience with the Tarheel Hal and temps. I made cutouts in the fake radial engine that are perfectly in-line with the three cylinders of the FG60R3. On the ground I'm getting temps 50 degrees hotter with the baffled cowl on.

Heres the graphs of my temperature runs. The first graph is with the cowl off and the second is with the cowl on. The graph goes up and down because thats me running full throttle, then going back to idle. So the temp climbs then cools off when I go back to idle...

I also have mine baffled. I just received my carb conversion kit and will keep posted of results
Old 02-27-2016, 03:56 AM
luckymacy

[QUOTE=aquaskiman;12182629]
Originally Posted by Timbers
Hey Aquaskiman, sounds like you and I are having the same experience with the Tarheel Hal and temps. I made cutouts in the fake radial engine that are perfectly in-line with the three cylinders of the FG60R3. On the ground I'm getting temps 50 degrees hotter with the baffled cowl on.

I also have mine baffled. I just received my carb conversion kit and will keep posted of results
What did you do to channel the air past the cylinders tightly? Just making cutouts in the faux radial isn't really baffling, just a start.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:29 AM
aquaskiman

[QUOTE=luckymacy;12182645]
Originally Posted by aquaskiman

What did you do to channel the air past the cylinders tightly? Just making cutouts in the faux radial isn't really baffling, just a start.
I have it cut out and side plates running along the cylinder sides
Old 02-27-2016, 04:42 AM
luckymacy

[QUOTE=aquaskiman;12182647]
Originally Posted by luckymacy
I have it cut out and side plates running along the cylinder sides
Post pics. On the real Vans RV8 I built, I didn't get the temps downs and stabilized and consistent on all 4 cylinders until I was really thorough in RTVing close every single source of air leak around the baffles and and getting the best possible rubber skirt seal. A little leak can kill what looks like "should have been" good enough air flow through the cylinders.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:16 AM
aquaskiman

[QUOTE=luckymacy;12182649]

Post pics. On the real Vans RV8 I built, I didn't get the temps downs and stabilized and consistent on all 4 cylinders until I was really thorough in RTVing close every single source of air leak around the baffles and and getting the best possible rubber skirt seal. A little leak can kill what looks like "should have been" good enough air flow through the cylinders.
My trouble is not the cylinders getting hot it is the temp in the cowl boiling the fuel in the fuel line and carb. The fuel we have here in the winter boils at 104 deg F
Old 02-27-2016, 03:38 PM
luckymacy

[QUOTE=aquaskiman;12182654]
Originally Posted by luckymacy
My trouble is not the cylinders getting hot it is the temp in the cowl boiling the fuel in the fuel line and carb. The fuel we have here in the winter boils at 104 deg F
did you wrap your carb and fuel tubing in heat sleeve material?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_9052vojpdb_p

Old 02-27-2016, 09:08 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got mine this week. and very excited

couldnt we we run a 10% gas to nitro fuel mix for the cooling effect?
Old 02-28-2016, 03:30 AM
johnhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the new Walbro carb from Morris Mini Motors, here are some pics of my set up for the choke. Also I have now also installed the three temperature gauges, one for each cylider head.

For the carb initial set up I used the settings described earlier in this thread 2 out on Low and 2 out on High, and the engine fired up nicely and seemed to run much better than with the old Saito carb. I only ran it for a few minutes as I didn't want to annoy the neighbours to much so I'd didn't get a chance to fine tune and check temperatures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1183
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	2149733   Click image for larger version

Views:	958
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	2149734   Click image for larger version

Views:	920
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	2149735  
Old 02-28-2016, 05:19 AM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by johnhi
I just installed the new Walbro carb from Morris Mini Motors, here are some pics of my set up for the choke. Also I have now also installed the three temperature gauges, one for each cylider head.

For the carb initial set up I used the settings described earlier in this thread 2 out on Low and 2 out on High, and the engine fired up nicely and seemed to run much better than with the old Saito carb. I only ran it for a few minutes as I didn't want to annoy the neighbours to much so I'd didn't get a chance to fine tune and check temperatures.

Thanks for the pics keep us posted I received my carb kit and will be installing next week
Old 02-28-2016, 05:56 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
I just got mine this week. and very excited

couldnt we we run a 10% gas to nitro fuel mix for the cooling effect?
Why not just use Gasohol from the local station. It's already got 10% alcohol in the gas. I would think you don't want any "nitromethane" in the mix.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhi

Thanks for the pics! It wasn't obvious to me what the red extension was!

Looking forward to having a choke as well as hopefully more reliable & consistent tune!

Cheers
Old 02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the pics keep us posted I received my carb kit and will be installing next week

Do you have a link for this kit?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM
aquaskiman

here you go
http://www.morrisminimotors.com/#!pr...conversion-kit
Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

How much in $$$ including shipping from UK? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

~ $165 shipped...not cheap. But for me, about the price of a starter & battery, so having a proper choke negates buying and carrying that. The time not chasing a tune every time I fly this plane is the real bonus!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:53 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by marksp
~ $165 shipped...not cheap. But for me, about the price of a starter & battery, so having a proper choke negates buying and carrying that. The time not chasing a tune every time I fly this plane is the real bonus!
Good point,keep us posted on the performance.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:02 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by marksp
I finished the break in runs. Priming with the stock carb was actually easy for me. As someone else suggested earlier, simply putting your finger over the over flow end to block it for a few seconds pressurizes the fuel tank and easily forced the fuel up to the carb. I'm using an electric fuel filler so the pressure and consistency is great so only a couple of seconds is all I need at the beginning of the day to see the fuel line fill up quickly all the way to the carb. starts in a flip or two by hand as if it had been run before. No big deal at all.

There may be other reasons to get the carb but I can't justify it on grounds of starting. This engine starts so easily and runs so well at idle it's impressive. I'm using a Xoar 22x10 PJT Hollow Carbon Fiber Propeller and getting about 6000 RPMs still using the break in fuel/oil mixture and I have not adjusted the low end needle yet. The high end is about 1.75 turns out from fully closed. I have yet to even put a screw driver on the low end needle so more tuning to go. I'll fiddle with the low end next because the idle is rich and the transition to mid and high RPMs sucks right now. Maybe by the time I'm done if I'm not happy I could see trying a new carb but for now, it's working well.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:19 AM
luckymacy

Oh yeah, I did notice too that the last bit of range on the high end actually retards the RPMs by a hundred or two hundred. So adjusting the ATV on the throttle to limit full travel fixes that but is 'not good' if it's not going to be a consistent position of the servo to achieve full rpm though I think it is likely to remain a constant.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:36 PM
luckymacy

Leaned high and low today. Max rpm is still only about 6200 but rock solid idle at 1250. Transition isn't clean and crisp but voted good enough to fly.

Also, make sure throttle is wide open when you go to prime the carb by blocking off the overflow tube.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Timbers
My Feedback: (3)

Same with me, I use a fuel bulb and open the carb, attach the fuel bulb to the vent line and pressurize for about 3 seconds. Starts on the first flip or two, so no choke needed.

I'm getting 6900RPM out of a 22x10 APC prop. Am I over-reving the engine? Maybe this Xoar prop is heavier, fatter airfoil, so not as many RPMS?

Anyone flying the plane with a 22x10 APC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.