Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 50, Is this normal?

Old 05-04-2004, 11:33 PM
XLO-JOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50, Is this normal?

O.K., Ive only ran about a 1/4 of a 24 oz. tank of gas mixed at 32:1 through my new DA 50, but Ive noticed if I turn the engine over at a medium speed by hand, just after compression(when it drops off) the engine makes a single "click" sound. If iI turn it over slowly, I never hear the click. Is this normal? or should I send it back to be checked? Sorry guys, this is my first gasser, and I dont want to tear anything up. Thanks to all that reply.

TW
Old 05-05-2004, 12:54 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: DA 50, Is this normal?

Engines require clearance between the rotating parts...The noise you hear could be coming from 3 different places, side clearance between the rings and piston groove, up and down clearance in the wrist pin and its roller bearing, and the same thing on the big end of the con rod...You can call Dave tomorrow to confirm this.....
Old 05-05-2004, 07:31 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that too after I ran it for the first time. I think it went lean and shut off - and there was not lubrication in the crankcase. Anyway I have three flights on it now and it seems fine. Just fly it untill the wings come off and then call dA
Old 05-05-2004, 08:28 AM
rmh

If you run the engine lean-on a pipe (easy to do if you don't have experience there)
you can wreck it in a single run.
Check with Dave Johnson of best setup - Do not overprop it .
Don't go by size of prop -go by how the engine sounds and responds.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 AM
XLO-JOKER

22x8 Zinger prop, and a slimline smoke muffler. She idles at 1600, and tops at about 7100 RPM's.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:39 AM
XLO-JOKER

Just got off the phone with DA, and the rep said that the noise was normal(the phone was answered on the second ring might I add). So I'm back to being one happy DA owning son-of-a-gun!!! Thanx for the replies guys.

TW