Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Walker 3.2 vs DA 50,BME 50

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (103)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walker 3.2 vs DA 50,BME 50

Are the newer 50 cc engines better than the older Sachs based 3.2 engines? I've got a Walker 3.2 that's pretty strong, and I'd like to know how it compares to these newer engines.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:08 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Walker 3.2 vs DA 50,BME 50

Electronic ignition with auto advance and the engine weight are the two main items. Newer engines are lighter and with auto advance ignition they will put out more RPM's than the old mag. set up or set electronic. If your engine runs good you can have a new Syncro spark installed.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:03 AM
My Feedback: (4)

A correctly timed engine will not run any better with electronic advance..[8D]
The engine doesn't know where the spark comes from as long as it's about 28 degrees BTDC...Electronic advance allows hand starting without kickback....
Old 09-12-2004, 08:12 AM

Yes, but many of the "older" engines were not at 28ΒΊ-30ΒΊ some were around 20ΒΊ-24ΒΊ for ease of starting. The main ones like this were "set" electronic egnition to keep the engine from kicking back on start up and idle better. Never the less "the newer 50cc engines" are lighter and the main reason is no big fly wheel. If you need the nose weight though it's not a big deal, unless you goal is to have a engine that starts easy without a spring setup (pain in the rear in more ways then one). Come to think about it wasn't the Walker engine the original Brison? If it has the machical advance and works well there is not a big advantage to upgrade other then not having to deal with the advance linkage.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Some of the new engines also have relocated the carb to the rear. Makes for a neater package to fit inside the cowl. Some of the new engines also use reed or rotary valve for intake timing. This can give a wider powerband with less fuel spitting out of the carb. The older piston port engines have symmetrical intake timing, which is a compromise.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:57 PM

I will go along with you on some of your points but a rear carb is a pain to get to. If you have a boxed in firewall (most large planes do) you need to remove the engine to do carb work[:'(]. As for "spitting" I've never had one do this. I do have two reed valve engines but they are twins. My three singles are piston port and run super. I must add though the single cylinder engines have the carb inside the cowl, this does make a big difference.