DA 50 Ignition Wire Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 09:17 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 Ignition Wire Question

Hi Guys:

I'm just wrapping up my GP Christen Eagle with a DA50. It's been a pretty good challenge getting everything under the cowl, as space is quite tight.

I'm using a Slimline Pitts muffler, and with that in mind, there is very few options to run the ignition wire. It's going to be near the the engine head or near the exhaust. How heat resistent are these wires? It wants to move into one of the engine cooling fin slots if left to it's own natural placement. Is this a problem? If so, how have folks solved this?

Thanks,
Lee Snover
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: DA 50 Ignition Wire Question

I use a piece of high temp silicone tubing that I split end wise and attach with a couple of plastic ties. I wouldn't let it get too near the head or the muffler because discounting the heat problem it can abrade through the jacket and wire if left unsupported.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:35 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

To defently don't want the plug wire to rub on the cilinder head and muffler or any cowl edges. Use some hi temp silicone hose to protect the wire.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:28 PM
lsnover

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

To defently don't want the plug wire to rub on the cilinder head and muffler or any cowl edges. Use some hi temp silicone hose to protect the wire.

Thanks guys. Is the muffler preferable to the engine head? I will try to add some extr protection in either case.

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 03-13-2005, 10:41 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

The wire is covered by a metal RF shield, If the shieling is comprimised it cant do its job.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:37 AM
aerocom20

isnover,
I too are just finishing up on the christen eagle/DA 50. Could you tell me were you installed the fuel tank? the upper or lower position? thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 AM
lsnover

ORIGINAL: aerocom20

isnover,
I too are just finishing up on the christen eagle/DA 50. Could you tell me were you installed the fuel tank? the upper or lower position? thanks
Aerocom20:

Everything about this installation ended up being a bit of a Pain. The end results are good.

Because of the PITTS muffler, the stock lower exahaust location would not work right, as the fuel lines ended up right ontop of the muffler. The top would not work because of the servo linkages for the throttle and choke. Basically I used the lower position, but had to mount the tank back further, so the fuel tubing could turn immediately on exit. In the end, the only line I have coming out there is the vent line. I ran the filler line inside the front fuse up to a DA Fuel Dot in the top in front of the cabanes. I ran the fuel line for the motor up through the hole I cut for the carb.

When I moved the tank back, there was of course, no support to hold it in place properly. So I basically constructed a pair of rails with a stop made of larger balso triangle stock. The tank fits between the rails, and the stop piece keeps it from moving any further forward. I expoxied the rails to the front of the firewall and the front fuse formers. Harden the balsa a bit with CA. Then I managed to slide the tank in, and get a velcro strap around it. The velcro keeps it from falling down. Then I tucked in a piece of foam behind the tank en the former where the leading of edge of the wing goes in.

I hope this will work out well, but without easy access to the front of this thing, I felt like a surgeon operating in the dark. I made up a couple of long 4-40 wires with loops on them to pull things around and get them where they needed to be. It's one tight installation when everything is put together.

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 03-15-2005, 01:57 AM
aerocom20

gday lee,
thanks for the info.. I glad to hear that it is not just me that is finding the eagle a bit tricky to set up. Your info is a great help and much appreciated
adrian
Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 AM
scottfl78

I just let her sit between the pipes.. I haven't seen any wear on the wire.. You could add some tubing as many do for some cheap insurance I guess..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75876.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	244253  
Old 03-15-2005, 07:52 AM
lsnover

ORIGINAL: scottfl78

I just let her sit between the pipes.. I haven't seen any wear on the wire.. You could add some tubing as many do for some cheap insurance I guess..
Scott:

Thanks, that's what I was wondering about. If I run the wire there, is the exhaust hot enough to melt/ruin the wire? How long have you run yours that way? That's about the best route for mine too I believe.

Are you active in the Marines? Where are you stationed?

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 03-15-2005, 07:55 AM
lsnover

gday lee,
thanks for the info.. I glad to hear that it is not just me that is finding the eagle a bit tricky to set up. Your info is a great help and much appreciated
adrian
Adrian:

No problem. I just finished mounting the wing cabanes last night. Boy what a PITA. Not sure I have them 100% right, and my wing incidences are off a half a degree or so from side to side. Gotta do some more studying. I don't like this attachment system at all, going to be a real PITA at the field on top of the fun getting it all aligned properly.

Regards,
Lee Snover
Old 03-15-2005, 05:38 PM
aerocom20

Lee :
I agree with you about the wing attachments. When i did my setup i found that i needed to enlarge the holes in the center brackets as they didn't line up with the pre drilled holes in the wing. I did notice there are directions to do this on the GP web site...however by doing this I found that the alignment between the upper wing tips and the tail ie equal distances can be screwed up as a little error in the center brackets makes a big difference at the wing tips. As for your wing incidences if they are different from the left hand side compared to the right hand side...maybe its the join between wing panels to the center panel. Because there are two joins we only need a little misalignment on either or both joins and that would show up when the incidences are compared.
regards
adrian
Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
scottfl78

My cylinder, and muffler is totally exposed and because of the propwash I dont see a problem with muffler heat.. Only have a gallon through my DA though.. I am active duty and Teach Artillery at Ft. Sill, OK..
Old 03-15-2005, 06:01 PM
lsnover

Lee :
I agree with you about the wing attachments. When i did my setup i found that i needed to enlarge the holes in the center brackets as they didn't line up with the pre drilled holes in the wing. I did notice there are directions to do this on the GP web site...however by doing this I found that the alignment between the upper wing tips and the tail ie equal distances can be screwed up as a little error in the center brackets makes a big difference at the wing tips. As for your wing incidences if they are different from the left hand side compared to the right hand side...maybe its the join between wing panels to the center panel. Because there are two joins we only need a little misalignment on either or both joins and that would show up when the incidences are compared.
regards
adrian
Adrian:

Yes, could be in the panels. I put them together as straight as possible, but it only takes a little variation for half a degree. Hopefully it won't be enough to bother it when I fly. The distances between the front and back edges on both sides is dead on, so you got me. Plus it's hard to get the plane itself 100% level. My landing gear is bent a little on one side (out of the box), and I had to prop things up to get it level. When you are working in 3 dimensions it get's messy. I'm no more than 1/16" off anywhere, so I can't imagine it being too bad.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
lsnover

ORIGINAL: scottfl78

My cylinder, and muffler is totally exposed and because of the propwash I dont see a problem with muffler heat.. Only have a gallon through my DA though.. I am active duty and Teach Artillery at Ft. Sill, OK..
Scott:

Well, stay safe, thanks for your service! At least your State side. My cousin is in the Marines over in Iraq, up in the North, not exactly sure where at the moment.

I'm going to put some high temp silicone on the braiding and run it between the mufflers, and see how she fairs.

Regards,
Lee Snover