Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Will Brison survive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will Brison survive?

Are Taurus cranks made in the USA ? Or are they Sachs cranks, now sold as Makita..
The Walbro carbs are not, the cases are, and very nice indeed, but their CNC machines are probably made in Japan....It's the operator of the machine that determines how well they're made.....
If the ignition is C&H, it is made in the USA from foreign components, just like everyone else uses, me included...
There is NO engine with ALL parts made COMPLETELY in the USA, just like the cars we drive..
ANY engine made on a CNC machine and carefully assembled is just as good as any other engine made the same way...
If Taurus engine cranks are individually balanced they should be better, otherwise they're just the same as all the rest of the engines using Sach/Makita cranks and Sachs/Makita cylinders and Walbro carbs and C&H ignitions....
I am aware of the fact that Brison engines have different cranks, except for the 5.8..How come, do they want to avoid the problems A&M had when they copied the Sachs and got it wrong ? Or do they think a cantilever crank in a 5.8 won't work ?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PICKY.....PICKY So true but they are mostly made in the USA and They are as good as any, and better than most.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Antique

Anybody know why ?
Tolerances, finish, balance ?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Bob Laine

All the above and they are just as reliable and trouble free as your ignitions are. Mostly I think it's the way the crank is designed.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:26 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Anybody know why ?
Tolerances, finish, balance ?
And all along I thought it was because of there purdy shiny cases.

Very little of most things are made in the good old USA.[&o]
Old 09-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Antique

As my ignitions were..Got some back lately..Ran fine here, quit in the air...
I think the problem was a loose toroid coil on the board...Some of the wires are really small, got broken from vibration...I ordered some new Silicone to seal the coils tighter...I replaced a few with C&H circuits...Bill sticks his to the board better and they're in a separate box, less vibration.....
Old 09-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Bob Laine

That's why I like and trust your opinion so much, because you tell it like it is, and you always give credit where credit is due. Nothing is 100% perfect all the time. Some things are just less prone to problems than others. The only engine that I ever sold and later regretted was an "Zenoah" G62 fitted with you ignition. I won't say it was faster, but I will say that it got "Faster" "Faster," and didn't gurgle all over the place doing it. That was the Zenoah that I would put up against any DA 50. I don't want to beat that horse to death again, but that's just the plain truth.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:22 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over Worked,

With all due respect, the information I related was received directly froman individual that will remain unnamed at your New York office about 6 months ago. The information that the casting operation was desired to be moved to China to reduce cost and increase quantities was from the same source. Same for info about assembly at the Revolution location. Same about the Taurus thing of about 1-1/2 to 2 years ago.

I have been personally aware for some time that the Allisons have been resistant to "requests" to rush things a little faster to increase production levels. I have also been aware that the Allisons will not reduce or compromise quality to meet increased production requirements.

I'm pleased to see that the Allisons will be remaining at the helm of Brison Engines, and continue to look forward to the high caliber of AMERICAN ENGINES with AMERICAN made ignitions for years to come.

Pat
Old 09-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Taking Overwork's statements as fact, it is good enough for me. Sounds like the case is closed.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 PM
OVER WORKED

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Over Worked,

With all due respect, the information I related was received directly froman individual that will remain unnamed at your New York office about 6 months ago. The information that the casting operation was desired to be moved to China to reduce cost and increase quantities was from the same source. Same for info about assembly at the Revolution location. Same about the Taurus thing of about 1-1/2 to 2 years ago.
Pat
The person you spoke with at Kangke was James. What you were told was that we tried to put together a combo deal selling Tarus engines with our Laser and Hurricane. There were two problems with the deal, a special mount would need to have been fabricated for our planes and they could not supply the number of engines we needed. At no time did we ever attempt to purchase the company.
The discussion about the castings being made in China lasted less then 10 minutes and was dismissed as not being practical.
All these things were decisions made by me, so I have some idea what I'm talking about.
I am the reason we deal with ZDZ, RC Showcase and Brison.
My personal experience and satisfaction with these engines are the reasons I selected them, and continue to support them.

Geistware, thanks for the vote of confidence :}
Old 09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Bob Laine

OK Guy's, This should close the door on the rumor mill. Now we've heard it from the horse's mouth and I for one am satisfied that even though some changes are going to be made at Brison, I don't beleive for one minute that a product as successful as Brison engines has been is going to just dry up and go away. Now I don't deny that I'm a big supporter of the "TAURUS," line of engines. But on the other hand, I have no problem with Brison engines. The fact is, since I've had no problems with Taurus engines, I see no need to change engine brands. But if I did, I guarentee you it would be Brison. When I made the statement that "Taurus," could take Brisons, place if they went out of business, that's just what I meant. "IF THEY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS." There are too many Guy's flying, and buying Brison engines for them to just fold up for good. I suspect that when they get all the wrinkles ironed out, that they'll be better than ever. After all, they won't be the first companey to leave the USA.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray,

Thanks for clearing up a conversation that was held between two individuals other than yourself. Mr recollection of that conversation is somewhat different than yours.

Be that as it may, I'm grateful that you and Kangke have offered such a high level of support to a line of high qaulity line of engines. The market responds well to quality at affordable pricing and I, for one, look forward to Brison availability for a long, long time to come.

Again, keep up the good work.

Pat
Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I just read a post by Overworked in this thread about Gary having the last word on quality. That may be true for the Brison line but not for the Revolution line. The Revolution 52 is cast in China and if memory serves the ignition was from China.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Geistware

That may be true, but we are discussion the Brison line of engines.
The Revolution engine is not a Brison engine. I think they just distribute it in the USA
ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

I just read a post by Overworked in this thread about Gary having the last word on quality. That may be true for the Brison line but not for the Revolution line. The Revolution 52 is cast in China and if memory serves the ignition was from China.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:54 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

I am looking at the bold line in the lower qoute.

Original: Geistware:

That may be true, but we are discussion the Brison line of engines.
The Revolution engine is not a Brison engine. I think they just distribute it in the USA
quote:

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one

Original: Overworked

I don't know where you got your "FACTS", but they're wrong.
We never wanted any part of Taurus engines.
We never had a "plan" to make any parts in China, the idea was discussed and dismissed at the same meeting.
Assembly is not done in Canada the machine work is, Gary does the assembly in Texas.
The "Revolution" line is built in the same locations.
Kangke is going through a complete restructure. Until our personal are all up to speed, there will be some glitches.
I'm sure Brison and Gary will be around for a long time.
The biggest problem is that we can sell far more engines than we can produce, and we will not step up production if it effects quality.
Gary has always had the final word on quality, and that "FACT" will not change.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:15 PM
OVER WORKED

The revolution line of engines is not Brison. It is distributed by Brison Engines and Kangke.
The cases are cast in China, the raw castings are sent to Canada where the machine work and other parts are manufactured, in the same locations, on the same machines, by the same people as those who make Brison.
The castings are done in China because we could not find a “local†foundry that would cast them at anything near a reasonable price. If memory serves we got one quote where the cost per unit from the foundry was almost as much as we sell the engines for.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Geistware

Thank you Over Worked, This is what I thought you said.
ORIGINAL: OVER WORKED

The revolution line of engines is not Brison. It is distributed by Brison Engines and Kangke.
The cases are cast in China, the raw castings are sent to Canada where the machine work and other parts are manufactured, in the same locations, on the same machines, by the same people as those who make Brison.
The castings are done in China because we could not find a “local†foundry that would cast them at anything near a reasonable price. If memory serves we got one quote where the cost per unit from the foundry was almost as much as we sell the engines for.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Bob Laine

It's funny how everyone knows everything there is to know about something except the one that really knows something about something. As for me, I don't know anything so I'll listen to "OVER WORKED."
Old 09-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Bass1

I'm looking at my new issue of Model Aviation and in a Brison ad , they announce the addition of "Automatic Timing Advance" to the 2.4 engine. It states the improvement will eliminate the need of 20 moving parts and will greatly improve the reliability and longevity of the engine. Is this the same thing as Syncro Spark? Anybody have any experience with this new mod? Just wondering as they have also raised the price on the 2.4. Since they eliminated 20 moving parts, is it lighter?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Antique

This I GOTTA see Isn't advertisisng wonderful ? What a CROCK
Eliminate 20 moving parts ? There aren't 20 moving parts in the WHOLE engine...
Greatly improve the reliability and longevity of the engine? Right...Unless like A&M, who they copied from, they don't time the engines right and send them out with up to 50 degrees spark advance...
The only place where moving parts can be eliminated is in the pieces of the RUBE GOLDBERG connection between the carb and the moving part on the front of the engine where the sensor is mounted...You DON'T need the bell crank and attached parts if you use a different block under the carb to rotate it..Been doing it for 18 years, all it takes is a small piece of G10 with the holes in the right place...Probably cheaper than the stock bakelite part that requires the bell crank to connect to the throttle servo..
Unless they get their ignitions from China the syncro spark module costs more than the whole other part of the ignition circuit, other than the coil...Good luck if they get their ignitions from someone other than C&H...
Hey Brison...Betcha you can't show us the us 20 parts that are eliminated...
Lessee
1 bell crank
1 piece that it's mounted on
1 screw at each end
2 threaded rods
4 fittings
1 piece on the carb
HMMM..Maybe we count some lockwashers under the screws ?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:49 PM
bentgear

I think auto advance has been an option for some time now, just the auto version of the fixed CH unit they have been using.

Ed M.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Antique

The syncro spark module is a little circuit about 1 inch square...It uses surface mount technology...It is connected in series with a standard ignition circuit (anybody's) to electronically control the timing according to the rpm of the engine...It has been available for years, and C&H was the first to use it..It works VERY well...A timing light pointed at the prop makes the prop look like it's stationary at ANY rpm, there is NO fluctuation...There are other ignitions now that have other features, but none work any better than one with syncro spark..Making a big deal out of omitting 20(?) parts is ridiculous, it's been available for years, to anyone wants to pay the price...And the price WILL be higher...Bill has been selling syncro spark modules for a long time, I think for $39.95....
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 PM
tkg

Not so fast RC, you will raise their hope to far A Syncro Spark is $44.95[&:]. Since CH came out with the first one, we have been offered many "superior designs" to sell.
So far the timing light/prop test is as far as they have got. No sense wasting time on something that is not up to snuff.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
RysiuM

ORIGINAL: bentgear
I think auto advance has been an option for some time now, just the auto version of the fixed CH unit they have been using.
Actually two years ago I bought 2.4 with SyncroSpark as the option. I didn't want these '20 moving parts' then. And yes, I paid about 45 dollars more for that. Got very nice engine with stationary pick up. Throttle still was on the bell crank.
Engine worked since the first flip. However after putting Bisson muffler I had to tune needles anyway. Still trouble free with great power.

This was my first gasser and I did a lot of research before making decision to spend a lot of $$ as for 'just a hobby engine'. Never did regreat this decision.

Now playing with cheapo 'junke' weed wacker engines I really appreciate the power, quality and reliability of Brison engine.

RysiuM
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
kolarshooter

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

..Making a big deal out of omitting 20(?) parts is ridiculous...
so why waste your time ranting about it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.