Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New SV Gassers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New SV Gassers

WOT is not my favorite mode, but I can do it continually, and it's no harder on it than half throttle because it's in the power band and rpm limited by load. At WOT, my plane is just humming along at a comfortable safe cruising rpm of maybe 7500 to 7600 rpm, just barely outside the supposed power band. I believe the 6500 to 7500 power band info, as that is what my engine is reinforcing that theory so far. I may even try an 18x10, just to see how she handles it. I see no reason to back up to an 18x6 though. I may need more load, but certainly not less. These little engine have plenty of grunt if you'll give em a chance to use it.
Johnny is turning 7200 static and doin 3D, and I think that proves my point. Make your engine work, and keep it in power band. For general all around flying, and apparently 3D as well, the 18x8 is perfect for the SV26. I bet Johnny's 10 lb plane really hauls with an 18x8, mine gets with the program pretty good, and it has two wings and weighs 15 lbs.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM
freeonthree

Im refering to static mainly here. Sure, in the air, from half throttle, it takes longer to get to top speed and rpm, but it now they occure at the same time. Before, with the 16x8, it would be at full rpm instantly, maybe 8800 ?, but the plane would need several seconds to catch up. Now, it happens almost instantly, and the rpms increase with the speed of the plane, together. It just sounds more real, has alot more zip or quickness, and jumps off the ground instead of slowly building up speed while the engine is already screaming it's guts out at 8200 to 9000 rpm. My engine simply wasn't pulling my plane around with any authority before, and now it drags it around like it's mad at it ! lol
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
freeonthree

OK, tonight was very relaxing, no screamin heli's next to us to worry about, and we could hear the SV26. The 18x8 does a fine job on this 15 lb biplane, and the SV is running like a watch. I think I see now what you meant by spool up time. In the air, it does take longer to wind out than the 16x8, and it doesnt wind out as far, but it pulls the plane with alot more authority now. My friend Andre is going to put an 18x6 on his, which is on a Goldberg Monster Pitts, so that will give me an idea what it may do on my Stearman as well. I think the 18x8 is perfect myself. Anyway judge for yourself... and yes, in this clip, Greg is the camera man, and im doing the flying for a change. I still need some practice landing this monster, but im gettin there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbeQKnL0sek
Old 01-21-2008, 04:19 AM
ca$hey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound's sweet mate ,,,,looks good in the air too,,there a good bye theses motors,i wonder what the 50 like?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 AM
freeonthree

I'll know soon, My friend Greg is puttin a 50 on a Clipped Wing Mono Coupe, he has the engine, just waitin for the arf now.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 AM
2robinhood

Hey freeonthree ,
By the looks in your video the prop you are using is a Master Airscrew classic. Is this right? I used to use Master airscrew wooden, Zinger, Topflite, and APC. Since I gone with gassers, one day I sprung for a good quality prop. It is like night and day. I couldn't beleive a prop in the same size and pitch could be that much better, but they are. I know they are more money, but you should spring for one and give it a try. I found Vess is the best, followed closely by Xoar and JFX. I see lots of props on E-Bay( MA, Zinger, TF, etc ) but I don't even bother. It 's like putting skinny little tires on a dragster. You never get the power of what the motor can do. I got my Xoars at http://bobshobbycenter.com/ the 18 X 8 that you want is $17.45. A Top Flite 18 X 8 @ Tower Hobbies is $14.00. For an extra $3.50 try one, I think you'll really like it.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with 2robinhood on the props. I have been flying gas engines for a couple of years now and the wooden props by Vess, Xoar, JXF and some others are a better prop for sure. But I have the problem of only having 1/2" of ground clearance with an 18x6 prop. I really want to use a 18x6, but I really want to keep the Stinson as scale as possible so larger tires are out of the question. I my go for a 17x8 prop and be happy with a 1" clearance. The Master Airscrew props are good for having a fun day, but if you really want more performance out of your plane the few dollars are well spent on one of these fine wooden props
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
NM2K

We're talking about cheap $150 engines here, aren't we? Wouldn't it be appropriate to use cheap props?

How many of you guys are springing for 93 Octane gasoline?

I love my MA paint paddles. Box'em up and send'em to me. <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM
freeonthree

Isn't mine going around good enough ?
I do want a wood prop (maybe a cherry wood from HC, but for now, im totally happy. The 18x8 MS Classic pulls the plane very well, and it doesn't look too bad, so im going to run it for now. What I do need is a smaller muffler, so I can put my cowl on without cutting a big hole in the side of it, but none of the muffler manuf's seem to have knowledge of these wonderful little engines yet. What a shame... My friend Greg needs one for his SV50 also.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
freeonthree

Sounds like you need something like a 16x10 to me.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: jstanton

But I have the problem of only having 1/2" of ground clearance with an 18x6 prop. I really want to use a 18x6, but I really want to keep the Stinson as scale as possible so larger tires are out of the question. I my go for a 17x8 prop and be happy with a 1" clearance. The Master Airscrew props are good for having a fun day, but if you really want more performance out of your plane the few dollars are well spent on one of these fine wooden props
I Have a Yak 54 with a 36cc Brillelli and only had an inch of prop clearance with a 18" prop. I wanted a 19" or 20" incher on there, so I put some different landing gear on.
Maybe you could change the landing gear to give you some hight and keep it some what scale looking. Try TNT gear.
( http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/..._List_Gear.htm )
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

We're talking about cheap $150 engines here, aren't we? Wouldn't it be appropriate to use cheap props?

Ed Cregger
Cheap doesn't mean it doesn't perform. Wouldn't you like to get the best potential out of it?
I not trying to push anyone, I am just giving my advice.
Some people are happy with the fat, no teeth chick from the bar.
Until they try a super model they didn't even know what they were missing.
It's all just experience and advice, Take it if you want it, not if you don't.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Isn't mine going around good enough ?
I do want a wood prop (maybe a cherry wood from HC, but for now, im totally happy. The 18x8 MS Classic pulls the plane very well, and it doesn't look too bad, so im going to run it for now. What I do need is a smaller muffler, so I can put my cowl on without cutting a big hole in the side of it, but none of the muffler manuf's seem to have knowledge of these wonderful little engines yet. What a shame... My friend Greg needs one for his SV50 also.
Use what props that you like to use. I was just trying to give some helpful advice.
Keep in mind that if you go with a smaller exhaust it will be more resrictive and the motor won't breath as good.
Any other muffler then the one you have been using will change your rpm numbers.
With a smaller more restrictive exhaust the 18 X 8 may not work well anymore and you will be doing this all over again.
Give me the demensions of you muffler. ( center to center of the mounting holes, and hight and width of the exhaust port ).
Maybe a CRRC or other engine brand muffler will fit.
I'll check it to mine.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
jstanton

Well I just finished my plane and I took it out to my starting stand. The engine was a little hard to start since it is 42 degrees here in Memphis and there is no choke on my SV-26. The engine did start and I am getting 8000 RPM with the timing retarded as far as it well go. There is still a little miss in mine but not to bad. I ran mine for 15 minutes on a 14oz tank and still hand enough fuel in it for another 5 minutes. I think I my try a 16x10 if I can find one. I like APC props in that size so I'll order a 16x10 from Tower.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:46 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Ed Cregger
If that's the case you should be using this 2 Cycle oil.
It is designed to be mixed at a 300:1 ratio and it only cost 97 cents for a quart.
They say if your motor gets damaged in anyway from this product, the next quart is on the house.
Cheap is for cheap, right?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
freeonthree

Isn't that a great feeling to hear your engine run for the first time
Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
freeonthree

I appreciate the advise too, and I will keep an Xoar in mind for the future, Gregs got a Wizzer on his Pitts with the Brison 50, been on there for years.
The center to center bolt spacing is 35mm or 3/8". The port is about 3/8" tall. Just a manifold with two downpipes would be fine, or like the Zenoah G26 has, a flat box with 2 pipes coming out the bottom. Your muffler looks alot like mine by the way. The problem is, the round can on the manifold sticks out too far on the left side for me to put my cowl on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32095.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	857478  
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
2robinhood

The stock CRRC Pro GF26I muffler is a center to center of 34mm.
The exhaust port opening of the muffler is 1/2" high and 7/8" long.
As far as I know this is the same as a G20 and a G26 muffler.
They are both suppose to fit the CRRC motor.
I think the style would work, but spacing is at 34mm.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
freeonthree

I bet that is just what I need. Only 1mm off, I can easily deal with that ! Where can we buy these ?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

I bet that is just what I need. Only 1mm off, I can easily deal with that ! Where can we buy these ?
Contact any of these places for a stock muffler.

I bought mine here ( http://www.prcmodel.com/index.php )

Tom @ ( http://www.valleyviewrc.com/ )

Jim @ ( http://westernhobbies.com/ )
Old 01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
jstanton

I don't know for sure, but I think a muffler from a BCMA SPE 26cc looks the same as the CRRC Pro 26. You can go to www.bcma.com and look at engine accesseries. The SPE 26cc muffler is $25.00. I was thinking about trying one, but I went ahead and cut my cowl for the Stinson. It came out OK, but a smaller muffler would have fit better.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
freeonthree

The thor Pitts muffler looks good, but I aint got $97.00 for a darn muffler. Yikes !
The Zenoah flat box style muffler for the G26 engine has the 35mm spacing, and it's only $28.00
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
freeonthree

Thanks J, im going to have a look right now...
Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
2robinhood

For BMCA website it is ( www.bcmaengines.com )

Yes the SPE 26cc muffler is the same.
Cermark sell them, Brilleli sells them also.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 PM
freeonthree

That link took me to a medical website J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.